Coral Vue Hydros

Wretched 66 SCA

Wretched

Let's just say one of my favourite haunts/domains is the CaseLabs section over on Overclock.net :P But yeah, the M8 (well, now M8A) was the first case I really REALLY fell in love with (if we exclude a Yeong Yang I wanted so bad 12 years ago), then it was the S8 when it was announced (and then subsequently released over a year and a half ago), but I'll eventually move my rig over to an SMA8 because they're just such a lovely and amazing chassis. Most of the computer gear I buy doesn't even make it into a case and instead pretty much gets to make out with a sheet of ArmaFlex while a hunk of machined copper enjoys the processor. (Subzero benching)

Which reminds me, I really need to pick up another 10kg of dry ice, but it's thanksgiving *laughs nervously* Oh well, don't really have any new processors to freeze yet, but there's three dozen in the queue ^_^;;;

But yeah, CaseLabs makes amazing cases, it's just the entry fee that gets you, but then you never want to give it up....

Very nice, I stopped really keeping up with CaseLabs after I bought the M8. It was and still is my longest/best purchase i've made, along with the 990x. Still running 3x 970s and 4k resolution, but everything is just so throttled when it comes to 4k. I'm at the 990x @ 4.8 ghz @ 1.3v, which isn't bad considering the tech and year of the processor. Idles around 11c and under load 23-26. I'm in hot AF southern california as well. I never got into liquid nitrogen, i'm more for just having a beast of a pc that'll last me 5+ years instead of 5 months!

No experience with it. I feed once a day, sometimes every other day and the anthias has been good. When I test my nitrates are always 0, phosphates .003 (I have the ppb not the ppm Hannah checker) The last 3 days I have gone to a twice a day feeding schedule trying to get see if that will up the nitrates just a bit and to make sure the anthias is getting enough food. Besides light feeding there were only 5 fish in there until Friday night, now there are 6. I was going to order some NoPox a few weeks ago for my other tank that is always higher in phosphates and nitrates around 20+, but it seems to not bother the tank as things grow like weeds in there. Mostly zoas/palys in that tank and only 2 fish until I replace the clown the other one decided to murder. I did read to follow the dosing recommendations exactly and it can take awhile to lower.

I think i'll go this route. Ive never had nitrates this high in my entire reefing time. I stopped feeding 4x a day, and hopefully it'll slowly trickle down due to my smaller water changes and NoPox. I have a NYOS test kit for nitrates coming today

Did you ever do a 100% WC. When a tank gets cycled the only way to remove the nitrate is through the WC your suppose to do once the cycle is complete. Very new tank I've setup I've tried to do as close to 100% WC as possible and then you go on your merry way. From there you just start controlling your nitrate and phosphate either with media and WC's or biopellets for instance. Jmo, except the rule is usually to do the near 100% change.

I never did, I did maybe a 20g lol. I didn't want to make ~82g of water when I just had made 82g of water. I didn't think i'd have too much die off from my rock that was out of water 10 seconds or less. Or unless that still doesn't matter? I see the sand being the culprit, "live sand" they say, but really I think all the die off is what brought it to 40 or so. I still don't plan on doing a 100%, but I do plan on continuing weekly 15 gallon changes, isn't much but slowly it'll come down in theory. I also plan to start doing a NoPox regimen, heard good things about it and also heard no results, i'm fine if it came down to no results as long as it doesn't crash my tank lol.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok so upon further review... My NYOS Nitrate test kit came in today and I ran two test out of it. Let me first off say, this kit is BAD@$$! Which test would you say was more accurate, API or the NYOS?

API Test around 40ppm.

NYOS test between 5-12ppm.

Although both are higher than I usually have my nitrates, 5-12 is much more acceptable IMO. I have no change in coral health, everything is great and looking as it should since transfer. I am getting algae on the glass faster than normal (New sand bed, no diatoms)

Here's some photos:

NYOS Test:

When I move the vials of NYOS up to the 12, the 12 is darker than my water test. so 5-12PPM.

20151012_110618_zpsa4d7zhp7.jpg

API Test:

Now before you say the water isn't at the 5ML line, I spilled a little bit when taking the picture haha. Same color. -- 40PPM

20151012_111114_zpsejpttqeq.jpg

I have the API for nitrates and some others. That's quite the variance between your 2 results. I know a lot of people hate on the API test kits, I find them to be ok. I used my new Hannah alkalinity checker the other day and it was 8.5 (cuz I forgot to dose I try to keep it around 10) and then I used API which on the 8th drop was part color changed, so was also 8.5. Maybe I will grab a salifert one day and verify the API nitrate results. I think you are right about a little die off from the live sand/extra feeding and if nothing in the tank is really being affected you should be good. Clearly you know what you're doing after seeing your previous tank and would notice if it was causing any issues with the corals.

As much as I still enjoy doing my weekly water changes, 82 gallon water change would not be fun after having just made 82 gallons a few weeks before.

I have the API for nitrates and some others. That's quite the variance between your 2 results. I know a lot of people hate on the API test kits, I find them to be ok. I used my new Hannah alkalinity checker the other day and it was 8.5 (cuz I forgot to dose I try to keep it around 10) and then I used API which on the 8th drop was part color changed, so was also 8.5. Maybe I will grab a salifert one day and verify the API nitrate results. I think you are right about a little die off from the live sand/extra feeding and if nothing in the tank is really being affected you should be good. Clearly you know what you're doing after seeing your previous tank and would notice if it was causing any issues with the corals.

As much as I still enjoy doing my weekly water changes, 82 gallon water change would not be fun after having just made 82 gallons a few weeks before.

Huge variance, which im going to lean towards the NYOS being more accurate. I do have some heads of my frogspawn closed(2) I "think" due to shadow. Not to mention my leather is shedding off so much right now, I try to get most of it out but I can't get it all. I added 120ml of carbon to my reactor, and also my chemipure bag inside my filter sock. So lots of changes have been happening in a short period of time, and that's just not my reefing style... I need to slow it down and chill. I think my tang is stressing himself out, I noticed "ich like" spots on her, she sits at the glass of the tank swimming up and down, I think she discovered her shadow... I'll keep a close eye on her and step up some more selcon in the feedings. She eats like a pig and makes it known she's the queen of the tank.

On the other hand, check out my pick ups from Reef-a-palooza! Damn i'm in love...

IMG_20151012_135955_zps8hlapace.jpg

Nice pick ups. I find the API kit not consistent on lower nitrate readings between 10-30ppm readings. I was having a nitrate battle myself on my tank and I was getting a variance in results with a Red Sea kit.

Those are some really nice pieces you picked up.

Nice pick ups. I find the API kit not consistent on lower nitrate readings between 10-30ppm readings. I was having a nitrate battle myself on my tank and I was getting a variance in results with a Red Sea kit.

Thanks folks. Something's not right, I can feel it. 3 Heads of my frogspawn on the lower side will not open. Neither will my leather after shedding, which is unusual because after a good shed he's open and shining bright!

I went ahead and also bought the phosphate test kit from NYOS. It's reading 0.00-0.025, there's a slight color difference between non-altered water sample and water sample being tested...

Nitrates as well, testing ~20 PPM

I bought this reactor a long time ago for my JBJ, and I did not like it so I took it offline. Decided to try it for my bigger system and I have a feeling it's pissing off my LPS.

What's your thoughts?

You can see in this photo the pissed off heads of my frogspawn, and my leather. Although, both smaller leathers in the tank are A-ok...

Should I stop running this carbon reactor?

2015-10-13_14.37.02_zpstirmtgf8.jpg

It might be the carbon... You may have added too much too fast and the leathers reacting to it. I'd try taking it offline and see if it starts to recover .

It might be the carbon... You may have added too much too fast and the leathers reacting to it. I'd try taking it offline and see if it starts to recover .

How's the tank doing? Leather start opening again?

I took off the reactor, and also removed my chemi pure. Tank is doing great, mins the 4 heads of frogspawn, and leather is still not opening. I also took my doser offline due to calcium 460 and KH 9.9. Too high for my taste. I usually keep my params 420/9. Trying to adjust my dosing since upgrading the tank, having a harder time that I did my 45 with the differential in water volume. As far as all the other corals it's fine.

I did start dosing NoPox 4 days ago at 4ml a day. Hoping for some good results. Too early to tell.

I took off the reactor, and also removed my chemi pure. Tank is doing great, mins the 4 heads of frogspawn, and leather is still not opening. I also took my doser offline due to calcium 460 and KH 9.9. Too high for my taste. I usually keep my params 420/9. Trying to adjust my dosing since upgrading the tank, having a harder time that I did my 45 with the differential in water volume. As far as all the other corals it's fine.

I did start dosing NoPox 4 days ago at 4ml a day. Hoping for some good results. Too early to tell.

I love the leathers, but they are so temperamental at times in my tanks. My leather hated the new light program I was running. Closed up and refused to open for 10 days. Loaded my original one and it was open within a day and a half. Water parameters were the same, only thing that had changed was the Radion schedule I was using. My other one has had no polyps out for about a month. It started shedding and then nothing since. It's not shrinking or dying so I am leaving it to see if it decides to open up again.

I love the leathers, but they are so temperamental at times in my tanks. My leather hated the new light program I was running. Closed up and refused to open for 10 days. Loaded my original one and it was open within a day and a half. Water parameters were the same, only thing that had changed was the Radion schedule I was using. My other one has had no polyps out for about a month. It started shedding and then nothing since. It's not shrinking or dying so I am leaving it to see if it decides to open up again.

I hear you there, since the move my leather has been tempermental. I think he's freaking out he actually has space to open up now lol. He's open wide right now, just no polyps. He actually looks like hes about to shed again, very shiny. Maybe he's adjusting still to the lights. I did change my schedule on the radion... My corals are used to getting blasted with light, they all did great under 100% intensity, but only 60 watts max day light. I reduced intensity to 75% and see how that goes.. The frogspawn 4 heads are just closed, they're not dying. It's been almost a week they're closed, but not dead -- not even inside skeleton, just not inflated. They look like they do at night. I did start NoPox to reduce my nitrates, within 4 days... my nitrates are at 15 rather than 40. All I know is my skimmer is a beast, NoPox made it skim like a madman!

Btw, can you please let Crawford know to stop letting in so many goals, he's making my fantasy points negative!! lol

I just wanna give you a big thumbs up on this reef. Some may know that before I went to college, I worked at a well-known LFS for over five years. When I see a tank like this, I need to give the owner a high five because this is the pinnacle of a hobby tank for many reasons. A LOT of homeowners and beginner hobbyists are looking for a tank like this...

- It is a sizable setup that doesn't break the bank: you're going with a simple sump that is easy to "understand", standard (yet high quality) tank, affordable yet powerful pump, a nice LED unit that is perfect for your corals and not overkill, and you're simply dosing the basics.

The livestock in the tank is enough to be engaging and interesting, but isn't demanding or in excess, also leaving you a little room right now to pick out a really special or interesting fish down the road if you want to. The coral is the same way, you have simple coral that is HEALTHY and displayed very well, you're showcasing what you have and also providing your babies with the right amount of flow and light. Another note on the tank, 66g is a great size because it allows the careful beginner reefer to maybe try a tang, or a mandarin, or a nicer wrasse, or maybe a small group of anthias. The tank isn't a finicky pico, you have some volume there for a mishap or two as well, which are inevitable.

I know you might not consider yourself a beginner reefer and none of this is meant to be patronizing...I just think people sometimes don't realize that they've created a tank many aspire to have and that is true for this tank. I think a beginner reefer, maybe looking to upgrade from their first small tank, should look to emulate what you've created here. :)

-S

I just wanna give you a big thumbs up on this reef. Some may know that before I went to college, I worked at a well-known LFS for over five years. When I see a tank like this, I need to give the owner a high five because this is the pinnacle of a hobby tank for many reasons. A LOT of homeowners and beginner hobbyists are looking for a tank like this...

- It is a sizable setup that doesn't break the bank: you're going with a simple sump that is easy to "understand", standard (yet high quality) tank, affordable yet powerful pump, a nice LED unit that is perfect for your corals and not overkill, and you're simply dosing the basics.

The livestock in the tank is enough to be engaging and interesting, but isn't demanding or in excess, also leaving you a little room right now to pick out a really special or interesting fish down the road if you want to. The coral is the same way, you have simple coral that is HEALTHY and displayed very well, you're showcasing what you have and also providing your babies with the right amount of flow and light. Another note on the tank, 66g is a great size because it allows the careful beginner reefer to maybe try a tang, or a mandarin, or a nicer wrasse, or maybe a small group of anthias. The tank isn't a finicky pico, you have some volume there for a mishap or two as well, which are inevitable.

I know you might not consider yourself a beginner reefer and none of this is meant to be patronizing...I just think people sometimes don't realize that they've created a tank many aspire to have and that is true for this tank. I think a beginner reefer, maybe looking to upgrade from their first small tank, should look to emulate what you've created here. :)

-S

Wow thank you sir! Didn't take that as patronizing at all. After 6 years into the hobby, it's true i'm still learning. I just keep it simple, and that's my best advice I give other fellow reefers that come to me for help. By looking at your signature, that's how my progress went. 8g, 16g, 22g, 34g, 45g, and now a 66 gallon. I've made mistakes, and still continue to do so yet I have learned persistence and time are your best friend in the hobby. While the tank was very well affordable, and I haven't bought coral in over 2 years just until recently -- they have come a long way with me, through all the mishaps. My 'special' fish I have my eye on is a mandarin, and yes I do know all the precautions to having one. I'm currently in my 2nd week of breeding the copepods, and continue to have more success each day as I seem to be finding more and more, but that fish is way down the road. When I had rescued the Blue Tang from Petco, a lot of thought went into it as my tank size to consider, ich issues. She was my first fish that I purchased with caution and understanding consequences. She thrives with my tanks, and i've became really attached to her. I know her needs are far beyond my tank size, and im not sure I can rid of her. When the time comes, I may upgrade again -- just for her. Thanks again for the kind words, I take pride into my tank which a lot of folks other than my other reefer friends don't understand.

I hear you there, since the move my leather has been tempermental. I think he's freaking out he actually has space to open up now lol. He's open wide right now, just no polyps. He actually looks like hes about to shed again, very shiny. Maybe he's adjusting still to the lights. I did change my schedule on the radion... My corals are used to getting blasted with light, they all did great under 100% intensity, but only 60 watts max day light. I reduced intensity to 75% and see how that goes.. The frogspawn 4 heads are just closed, they're not dying. It's been almost a week they're closed, but not dead -- not even inside skeleton, just not inflated. They look like they do at night. I did start NoPox to reduce my nitrates, within 4 days... my nitrates are at 15 rather than 40. All I know is my skimmer is a beast, NoPox made it skim like a madman!

Btw, can you please let Crawford know to stop letting in so many goals, he's making my fantasy points negative!! lol

LOL, I can't stand Crawford more often than not, he makes some amazing saves and then let's really easy ones go in. He gets to far out of the net to often too. My wife is a life long Hawks fans so I love to harass her about him. I moved from IL to MD for 15 years before coming back here so I am a Caps fan too, she refused to even discuss last night's game (and not like Darling did any better than Crawford has been.)

Good to know that NoPox is working, I might need to try some in my other tank that tends to run high. Though I haven't checked the parameters lately because everything just grows in there so I figure why mess with it. You've got me convinced to go with SC Aquariums for my next tank or upgrade. Might breakdown the fresh water tank and replace it with another reef tank, but not in a rush. My wallet needs a break for a little while :)

LOL, I can't stand Crawford more often than not, he makes some amazing saves and then let's really easy ones go in. He gets to far out of the net to often too. My wife is a life long Hawks fans so I love to harass her about him. I moved from IL to MD for 15 years before coming back here so I am a Caps fan too, she refused to even discuss last night's game (and not like Darling did any better than Crawford has been.)

Good to know that NoPox is working, I might need to try some in my other tank that tends to run high. Though I haven't checked the parameters lately because everything just grows in there so I figure why mess with it. You've got me convinced to go with SC Aquariums for my next tank or upgrade. Might breakdown the fresh water tank and replace it with another reef tank, but not in a rush. My wallet needs a break for a little while :)

Funny thing is, I have Holtby and Ovi to... Ovi needs to stop sleeping in and same with Holtby, im getting killed this week.. upwards of 68-20 in points lol. Yet last week I took the match 100-40. This is fish tank money I could be using!! haha. Obviously a Ducks fan for life, but where to begin on that? I've been 2 games already this season, I had to drop my ducks players for the time being, Getzlaf/Hagelin. Sharks are looking pretty hefty this season. Crawford has an excellent team in front of him, which is why I drafted him in like the 5th round, it's just his GAA is way too high, Chi. just needs to outscore like they always do!

I'm hoping the NoPox gets me where I want. My goal is 2ppm nitrates. My phos are good at the 0.02. I am skeptical of dosing anything in my tank other than CA/Alk/Mag. This is a huge leap for me. So far, no negative side effects except day1 I dosed 9ml and I had white film algae on my glass so I reduced by 50% and the film hasn't returned. I did add some dry rock, that wasn't properly cured but was washed, and cooked in the sun for a week. That may have some effect, but its only like 5lbs max, the rock I used to mount the torches.

I kid you not, SC Aquariums is a company i'll stick with for business. I couldn't believe how that situation went. And let me tell you, the clarity of the glass is amazing (First starfire tank) so I can't compare to others. Everything is very sleek. Now, that being said their parts are made in China, I do support our American companies as well, but in this case... I have to give credit when it's due.

Wretched! I missed this!!! I'm so excited to follow this build as I JUST ordered the same tank about 3 days ago omgomgomg

Wow!! Welcome Ms. Stella! It's an amazing tank, I promise you... you will be extremely happy about it. If you look for my review I did on them, you'll be even more confident. Go ahead and take a search in the vendors rep thread! Welcome~~

Wow!! Welcome Ms. Stella! It's an amazing tank, I promise you... you will be extremely happy about it. If you look for my review I did on them, you'll be even more confident. Go ahead and take a search in the vendors rep thread! Welcome~~

I'm really looking forward to it.

Do you have a build thread for it yet? I mean come on, start the HYPE!!

:lol: Not yet!!! I'll start one though :) I think I may just use the same build thread as my biocube :)

Archived