ReefCleaners.org

Nameless and Shameless- This tank will be coming down.

FlowerMama

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HarryPotter

I've been going in the direction of the hair when using the clipper, that is correct, right? I use nothing on Hagen but an Andis Ultra Edige 10 which says 1.5mm

Yeah I go with direction of hair, pretty sure that's right.

I can't believe I'm going to do a "Dog Hair-Cut photo shoot" tomorrow LOL- my poodle's hair is INSANE so this will be quite the transformation

HarryPotter

I don't do anything fancy. I use clippers sometimes for nails and dremel sometimes for nails. the BEST advice I got from a grooming friend was let the clippers do the work. Don't use force. And pull the skin taught while you're clipping to get an even clip. So, say if you're clipping their side, use your hand to tighten the skin by kind of moving it up over the back. For the face/eyes, clip away from the nose. So clip out. I don't shave their faces, I use scissors since I keep them fuzzy.

Here's a before picture from just now. He's a 7 year old miniature poodle

7A39D16D-3608-4522-8CF3-30C2DC822799_zps

I've been going in the direction of the hair when using the clipper, that is correct, right? I use nothing on Hagen but an Andis Ultra Edige 10 which says 1.5mm

If you cut in the direction of the hair it will be a little longer than if you go against it. If you go against the hair it will be tight to the skin and you have a higher risk of shaver burn and accidentially cutting the fine skin areas. So I shave in the direction of the hair on the body when doing a short kennel cut. I have used many different clippers. But my favoirte one is my cordless Wahl Arco SE. It has an adjustable blade so I can do a whole cut with just one trimmer. It cuts thru hair like a warm knife thru butter. Even thru corse poodle hair. I also love that is has no cord so I can go outside for a quick trim and not have to sweep up under my grooming table.

With my Andis AGC 2 speed I have to keep changing out the blades. And it has a cord so is really combersome to use on a small dog. Especially on the feet. I have groomed all our dogs thru the years. We have had, over the years, a schnauzer, several poodles or poodle mixes that needed regular grooming and several shit zu type dogs. I use a dremmel on the nails and alway only groom a clean dry dog. Dirty fur and wet fur dull the blades fast. I will post a few pictures of past cuts I have done on my tank thread. I love to groom and it is relaxing for me. I had a white poodle a few years ago who had excellet hair to groom into any poodle cut. I will post one I did on her as well.

Here's a before picture from just now. He's a 7 year old miniature poodle

7A39D16D-3608-4522-8CF3-30C2DC822799_zps

Fuzzy wuzzy, was a bear.....

If you cut in the direction of the hair it will be a little longer than if you go against it. If you go against the hair it will be tight to the skin and you have a higher risk of shaver burn and accidentially cutting the fine skin areas. So I shave in the direction of the hair on the body when doing a short kennel cut. I have used many different clippers. But my favoirte one is my cordless Wahl Arco SE. It has an adjustable blade so I can do a whole cut with just one trimmer. It cuts thru hair like a warm knife thru butter. Even thru corse poodle hair. I also love that is has no cord so I can go outside for a quick trim and not have to sweep up under my grooming table.

With my Andis AGC 2 speed I have to keep changing out the blades. And it has a cord so is really combersome to use on a small dog. Especially on the feet. I have groomed all our dogs thru the years. We have had, over the years, a schnauzer, several poodles or poodle mixes that needed regular grooming and several shit zu type dogs. I use a dremmel on the nails and alway only groom a clean dry dog. Dirty fur and wet fur dull the blades fast. I will post a few pictures of past cuts I have done on my tank thread. I love to groom and it is relaxing for me. I had a white poodle a few years ago who had excellet hair to groom into any poodle cut. I will post one I did on her as well.

Thanks. I'd love to see some pics of your babies' haircuts.

I always stop for a second when I see a molt too and think a death has occured. Then I remember what it really is. :) He is super white and bright now!

I always stop for a second when I see a molt too and think a death has occured. Then I remember what it really is. :) He is super white and bright now!

Yes, he really is. He was standing really still facing the corner yesterday so I guessed right. Doing his wiggling and jiggling inside.

20150806_204058_zpsc89ptojg.jpg

I have never owned one like him. He is very colorful and cute. Sweet tank. He had a good molt so everything in the tank should be going great!

I missed all this! I go against the hair if I need to get it shorter. If you're going in the direction of the hair, it is safer as i is easier to avoid nicks and such. Skin under the arms, around the leg joins and under the belly is defininely areas where you need to be careful and stretch the skin as it is easy for loose skin to get caught in the clipper teeth. A 10 is the safest blade to use in my opinion. The longer ones are much more dangerous as they have longer teeth and such.

This is great advice! Also, make sure the blades never get hot. If they feel hot, change them out otherwise it is easy to burn the pup's skin. I have a ceramic tile I keep on the grooming table and put the hot blade on that while I switch to a new blade. Cools it off really fast. I have two blades of each of the ones I use frequently: 10, 7, 5 and 4. Mom2Many, I have an andis 2 speed as well and love it. Also have a small wahl cordless for toes and for Stella's belly etc. (she's so small I have trouble with the big blade on her.

HarryPotter

Do you remove the molt? I always do :?

HarryPotter

Leave it in there. The crustacean will eat it to replenish nutrients.

REALLY? The shrimp will eat it's own shell? That's freakimg awesome!

It won't make a significant amount of ammonia/nitrate?

REALLY? The shrimp will eat it's own shell? That's freakimg awesome!

It won't make a significant amount of ammonia/nitrate?

The shell is calcium, magnesium too probably, there's nothing that should really spoil.

This is great advice! Also, make sure the blades never get hot. If they feel hot, change them out otherwise it is easy to burn the pup's skin. I have a ceramic tile I keep on the grooming table and put the hot blade on that while I switch to a new blade. Cools it off really fast. I have two blades of each of the ones I use frequently: 10, 7, 5 and 4. Mom2Many, I have an andis 2 speed as well and love it. Also have a small wahl cordless for toes and for Stella's belly etc. (she's so small I have trouble with the big blade on her.

I love my cordless and used a wahl mini for feet for years till it died. Now I can do a clean foot very well with my larger clippers. I put up a few of my past grooms on my tank thread a few days ago. Also had a long conversation about clipping and grooming on Harry's tank thread that same day. I have seen your standard. Nice looking dog. I had one for a short while and it was just to large for me to handle. We have a toy now.

Leave it in there. The crustacean will eat it to replenish nutrients.

I usually leave molts be. Until my urchin starts carrying it around... :wacko:

Fuge pump saw it's last day in my 34g Maiden's Voyage so the harlequin, some caulerpa, a little red macro and some rock has been moved to this tank. I also moved the Double D paly and another coral I bought from VIP who's name I can't remember. Encrusting something or other. I'll get a pic later.

20150808_205806_zpsf65oefbg.jpg

I'll try to put up a pic tomorrow when the water is more clear but it's really nothing fantastic as I have more rock in there than what I wanted but I have to keep reminding myself I move in 4 mos. It'll all get changed up then. I'm still going to keep the 10g, the 20g for Gertie, the 34 and get the 40g for the flowers.

I'm gonna have to do a water change tomorrow. I told myself to keep up better with them. It's been 2 wks. It's time. This tank and the 34g. I'll do Gertie's on Mon/Tues when I can be sure to have more water made up.

Snow_Phoenix

Nice brittle! I have two brown banded brittles and I love them. One of them - the larger one - is quite bold and actively roams the tank even when the lights are on. The second smaller one is more shy. :wub:

Archived