Top Shelf Aquatics

Jtgrimes 20 to 110 Gallon Long Rimless Build

jtgrimes

Yeah, Ive gone up in intensity very slowly, and backed down my color slowly as well. I will be posting pics here and on there before and after.

I have a couple browned out acros. I've been thinking it was more nutrient based but now I am leaning towards a lighting issue. I plan on increasing the 75% intensity to a longer photo period tonight.

• Like 1

Each month I would increase my intensity 5%. Allowing plenty of time for the corals to adjust as well to see if there was any problems with bleaching etc.

I have a couple browned out acros. I've been thinking it was more nutrient based but now I am leaning towards a lighting issue. I plan on increasing the 75% intensity to a longer photo period tonight.

• Like 1

Each month I would increase my intensity 5%. Allowing plenty of time for the corals to adjust as well to see if there was any problems with bleaching etc.

Yea, thats what I have done in the past as well. So tough to understand how strong these light are.

BRS did an LED review a while ago and then gave PAR values of several lights. They did the 360 and the values came back surprisingly low. I tried to reach out to understand what the intensity level tested was but never heard back.

Tank looks great....love the scape.

• Like 1
righttirefire

Glad to see you back JT! I don't understand lighting. Is should get a par meter. I'm running a nanobox quad over my 20 long, finally took the Fluvel marine/reef off. I started at 25% and been increasing 2.5% weekly. For months! OK maybe 2 months. It's been an adventure watching the corals. Brown, no PE, insane PE, start to color up.

In the sump I run a cheap marine reef Chinese led and a frag rack maybe 1.5" below the water and some corals there have better color and growth...

So definately take it slow on light intensity. Corals recover faster from brown than bleaching in my research.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Quick Update of Tank :) - February 7, 2016 -

Temp - 80 degrees

Flow - Jaebo DC and Vortech QDw Nutrient Transport 45%

PH - 8.4

Live Stock - Snowflake Clown, Purple Gramma, Yellow Watchman Pistol Shrimp Pair, 2 Chromis

Coral - LPS, SPS

Running Carbon (change every 2 weeks) and GFO (Change once a month)

ReFugium - Chaeto

SCA-301 Skimmer ( clean cup Weekly)

Weekly Water Change - 5 gallons

Weekly dose - Reef Chili

Feed various Mysis, oyster, squid, pellet daily

IMG_4538.jpgIMG_4540.jpgIMG_4542.jpgIMG_4570.jpgIMG_4567.jpgIMG_4559.jpg

• Like 5

Starting to develop a bit of cyano on the opposite side of my vortech. Turned up the flow a bit to 80% Reefcrest hoping it will help. Currently staying on top of weekly 5 gallon water changes and cleaning sand. I change out carbon every 2 weeks, GFO every month.

All paramaters are looking good, so Im hoping the cyano is a dead spot? Any input will help.

Starting to develop a bit of cyano on the opposite side of my vortech. Turned up the flow a bit to 80% Reefcrest hoping it will help. Currently staying on top of weekly 5 gallon water changes and cleaning sand. I change out carbon every 2 weeks, GFO every month.

All paramaters are looking good, so Im hoping the cyano is a dead spot? Any input will help.

For me cyano will grow right by my mp10, so it doesn't have to be flow related. I got rid of mine by adding another fish and feeding more, but this may not be your solution. Maybe change the GFO more often? Do you run it in a reactor?

• Like 1

Yes, I have two reactors one for carbon i change every 2 weeks and another for high capacity gfo i usually change once a month but have been changing more frequently due to the cyano.

I did however syphon all my sand like i normally do each water change, but took more time at getting more of the crap out. Hopefully we will see a change soon. I also adjusted my vortech to be higher up which seems to be helping with flow on that side.

40gal are nice. I went from a 150 to a 20 ahahaa. One day when my wife and I are settled in our final home I will definitely be doing an in wall.

I've debated doing a 40G breeder. But now leaning towards just growing the 20 out

Thanks! Yeah I wanted to add the brace just for more security as well.

The euro bracing on this tank makes it really pop out. I think it looks fantastic!

I dont have any problems with shadowing with the 360. I have it currently about 6-8 inches off the top of my water.

Any shadowing ? My tank is gonna be 26.5" and I'm thinking about going with 1 kessil a360w.

FreshwaterNoob

40gal are nice. I went from a 150 to a 20 ahahaa. One day when my wife and I are settled in our final home I will definitely be doing an in wall.

I have been to a few of our local club members houses with in walls. One had a hidden book case door to get into the room and one had a 1200 or 1400 gallon display in about 2009 era. I really enjoy those tanks but realistically the maintenance regimen and the monthly running costs are more than I care to afford lol.

• Like 2

Thats when I do, everything will be automated, much like I have now. lol.

I have been to a few of our local club members houses with in walls. One had a hidden book case door to get into the room and one had a 1200 or 1400 gallon display in about 2009 era. I really enjoy those tanks but realistically the maintenance regimen and the monthly running costs are more than I care to afford lol.

I am at about 7 inches of water depth. I found a few videos in the past that had that depth and it works.

jtgrimes What water level do you have the SCA-301 Skimmer at? I can't seem to find any info on water level for this skimmer