Cultivated Reef

The one that you say is red planet looks like a Granulosa. One of my favorites. Tank is looking stellar as normal!

Granulosa is a great coral. I wish I had one. The top down of the frag rack doesn't show it but this acro has radial coralites consistent with an RP. I've always been doubtful if it's a true RP but it has the same color and growth.

The mother colony is behind the center Digi.

75CA3D7F-3FBB-4F5C-AA93-A5040EDE1A1A.jpg

6242B150-6E37-4ADF-A63C-7122DCE01072.jpg

• Like 2

Question #4,080

Which lenses do you use on your radion?

I bought it used and I'm not 100% certain but I think they are the standard lens (not wide)..... I think lol

So I've been reviewing this thread trying to figure out your secret sauce to SPS success, and it would seem like your daily water change and the Radion are the biggest factors. :)  I would normally consider the Radion xr30 at 100% intensity over a small tank to be a major overkill, but your colors and growth say otherwise.  At $800 for a brand new unit, though, that's quite the "investment".  Maybe I can find a deal on a used model or find a cheaper substitute...  

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, J-Ranko said:

So I've been reviewing this thread trying to figure out your secret sauce to SPS success, and it would seem like your daily water change and the Radion are the biggest factors. :)  I would normally consider the Radion xr30 at 100% intensity over a small tank to be a major overkill, but your colors and growth say otherwise.  At $800 for a brand new unit, though, that's quite the "investment".  Maybe I can find a deal on a used model or find a cheaper substitute...  

Totally agree. The water changes are really the key to this tank. Keeps the nasty out while replenishing trace elements. 

My growth and color really took off with the Radion. Mine are used Gen 2's. I wouldn't spring for a new unit- it's very expensive! I got mine for a fraction of the new price and it does everything I want it too. 

On a side note- I am nervous about switching alk and ca supplements. Like you said, everything has been growing so well. I'd hate to distrust the stability.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
I found a couple progression pics. Growth took off once the parameters settled in. Interesting to see the various algae battles I've had along. 

May '16
DSC_0049.jpg

August '16
20160818_143430.jpg

Jan '17
4AC39199-E7EE-4DF2-8024-5114DF7BF584.jpg

Dec '15
8c453c66-a6ee-40a1-91e9-2ec6be640511.jpg

Feb '17
3C9B271A-A35B-47FC-AC64-9324F9DB688C.jpg
  • Like 9
  • Wow 1
Just now, flatlandreefer said:

That's awesome! Your clam grew like a weed and now it's almost covered up!

No kidding. I got it at about 2" from a local frag swap. My guess is its close to 4" now. 

I heavily frag the SPS around it to keep it clear for light. Its working now but I do get nervous as things continue to grow. 

• Like 1
flatlandreefer
2 minutes ago, uwdanno said:

No kidding. I got it at about 2" from a local frag swap. My guess is its close to 4" now. 

I heavily frag the SPS around it to keep it clear for light. Its working now but I do get nervous as things continue to grow. 

Tank is looking great, still one of my favorite nano aquascapes.  How do you like your spin streams?  I am debating getting a set to try to get rid of some dead spots.  Do they make any noise?

Just now, flatlandreefer said:

Tank is looking great, still one of my favorite nano aquascapes.  How do you like your spin streams?  I am debating getting a set to try to get rid of some dead spots.  Do they make any noise?

I have a love hate relationship with the spinstreams. 

I like that they do provide a small amount of disruptive flow and they are quiet. One made a lot of noise at the start, but is dead silent as its broken in now. 

I don't like the size of them and how often I have to clean them.  I'm a fan of low profile and minimal equipment. These are not that. They also get stuck from algae/coraline build up often. Took really keep them working properly, I have to vinegar bath them every other month. 

I run a Sicce 1.5 on max flow. Even that is still pretty low flow coming out of them. Unless you buy a notably strong pump, I wouldn't expect them to be the main flow for an LPS/SPS tank. 

• Like 1
do not smoke the reef(er)

when i move, i am going to do this with my new stand for my 20! looks too sexy with the glass. Any issues with it or any suggestions? going to order 3/8 tempered glass for the new stand soon.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, do not smoke the reef(er) said:

when i move, i am going to do this with my new stand for my 20! looks too sexy with the glass. Any issues with it or any suggestions? going to order 3/8 tempered glass for the new stand soon.

Mine is 3/8 as well. It it definitely looks sleek but it's a pain in the ass. If the smallest drop of water gets on the edge between the glass and the stand, it gets vacuumed up between the glass and stand and can't be cleaned up. I have a couple water spots that irritate the hell out of me. If I did it again (not sure I would) I'd get the glass slightly bigger than that stand top. That may help. 

2 hours ago, Bowen1022 said:

Just re-read this whole thread... Still just as great

Thanks! I've definitely had some ups and downs.

54 minutes ago, J-Ranko said:

Amazing growth!  The colors on that blue acropora and the red planet look stunning.  

They are a really deep color. I've been lucky with them both. Happy, healthy growers. 

Finally got my frag rack cleared off and out of the tank. Happy to have a cleaner look again 

IMG_1402.jpg

• Like 10
On 3/11/2017 at 5:26 PM, Polarcollision said:

beautiful tank! How have I missed it all this time?? Following now.

Thanks. I've been watching your tank for a bit. Glad to have you following. 

Just wrapped up a water change. The Green Slimmer is almost to the water line. 

IMG_1502.jpg

• Like 7
On 2/1/2017 at 10:28 AM, dirtrider225 said:

Sounds good! Hit me up after the 13of febuary, gonna be outta town till then! If you like yumas i have a few variety i could trade you as well assuming you are interested

Hey - I'm working on filling up the frag rack again. I should have a couple things for you shortly. Right now its just a small Red Planet and nubbin of a Purple Acro. Do you have Rastas in your tank? Sunny D's? Is there anything in particular you want that I have?

I'll let you know when I get a could more. 

2 hours ago, uwdanno said:

Hey - I'm working on filling up the frag rack again. I should have a couple things for you shortly. Right now its just a small Red Planet and nubbin of a Purple Acro. Do you have Rastas in your tank? Sunny D's? Is there anything in particular you want that I have?

I'll let you know when I get a could more. 

Thats awesome! 

I have some SunnyD's but they are currently being taken over by my god of war paly's. No rasta's in the tank

Nothing in particular, Im not too picky on coral as long as it is hardy. Plus if anything were to happen to your tank i would have backups of your coral in mine (assuming i dont end up killing it of course) and since we live pretty close to eachother it would not be hard to get you the frags back :)

• Like 1