Top Shelf Aquatics

Pumilius Gōbius Admīrābile

Maniu

Sk8n Reefer

Just noticed your thread in your signature - very nice! Great pics! Thanks for the info on Tanks- I'll start to look through those.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you. Got all my gobies (including eviota in my other tank) from Manhattan Aquariums. As far as I know they get them from Unique Corals.

They come in without any description other then dwarf gobies. And they never know what species will come in next shipment. Which makes trips to their store that much more interesting. There isn't much I want to add to scape, unless I can find rare xenia( or Blue Cespitularia) that I could glue to the filter wall. It would give a bit of a movement and natural form of filtration. Interesting mushrooms, green zoas or rare macro algae could also be an option.

I saw those guys for sale last time I was there! Manhattan Aquariums is a cool little place!

Just noticed your thread in your signature - very nice! Great pics! Thanks for the info on Tanks- I'll start to look through those.

Those tanks aren't the cheapest but if you are looking for custom dimensions, it's not to bad.

Their 72×18×12 tall is perfect for me and what I will use it for.

Probably gobies and school or rare cardinals. Maybe few other fish that will benefit the ecosystem.

I would love to get away with one sump and all natural filtration. Ton of live rock and macroalgea but I will request secondary overflow just in case.

Yeah, glad you stopped by. It's my little cube with bunch of gobies. My wife loves this tank more then IM16. And my daughter is in love with zoas in IM16. Especially under all blues when Kessil is off line and Celestial stays on for another hour or so.

Gotta go and take some tests as I'm pretty sure that I contracted same bacterial infection my daughter had last week.

I saw those guys for sale last time I was there! Manhattan Aquariums is a cool little place!

They don't have any at this time. I'm pretty sure I bought most of them. Lol

Yeah, I really like that place. With VIP card and weekly specials + rewards, prices aren't really that bad.

Last guy (Tiger) cost me $12. Can't beat that. Not in NYC at least.

JO1DOe.gif

I need to cut some branches of my Green Sinularia as it is shading my sps corals. Anyone local interested can have it for free or trade for something else.

JO1DOe.gif

I need to cut some branches of my Green Sinularia as it is shading my sps corals. Anyone local interested can have it for free or trade for something else.

:wub:.

Wish I was local already..I'd take some for my new softy goby tank (that I really want to start LOL).

Oh....will save that for reading later!!!!!

How are you feeling???? I hope you don't have that same bacterial infection fingerscrossed. Is your daughter a lot better

yet? We are improving over here. It's spring break this week :happydance:.

:wub:.Wish I was local already..I'd take some for my new softy goby tank (that I really want to start LOL). Oh....will save that for reading later!!!!!How are you feeling???? I hope you don't have that same bacterial infection fingerscrossed. Is your daughter a lot betteryet? We are improving over here. It's spring break this week :happydance:.

I got the same bug.... results didn't come back yet but symptoms are exactly the same. I should be ok once they put me on antibiotics.

Sorry you had such a rough weekend. It will get better. It always does.

I can ship some for you via priority as long as weather stays above 50. It should be fine. It is a fast grower and pretty hardy.

Edit

Got your frag ready. Should heal and attach soon.

HSbKf2r.jpg

JO1DOe.gif

Very pretty! I have some of the same and need to do some trimming too. Any suggestions on how to go about it?

Very pretty! I have some of the same and need to do some trimming too. Any suggestions on how to go about it?

Very easy. Cut branches you want to frag with scissors. Since gluing soft corals like this doesn't work, you gonna need piece of rock rubble and rubber band. Find dimple in piece of rubble you're going to use for frag and place cut branch so it sits partially in crease area. This will prevent rubber band to cut thru flesh. Use rubber band to secure coral to piece of rubble without cutting it. And you are done. You can watch YouTube vids on fragging soft corals. But it's basic straight forward procedure.

You can also use this method:

Fragging Soft Corals: Green Sinularia: https://youtu.be/o-5jOsshleU

I like this method better tho:

Neon Green Nephthya Leather Coral Propagation: https://youtu.be/QRIvgFTxSCw

I got the same bug.... results didn't come back yet but symptoms are exactly the same. I should be ok once they put me on antibiotics.

Sorry you had such a rough weekend. It will get better. It always does.

I can ship some for you via priority as long as weather stays above 50. It should be fine. It is a fast grower and pretty hardy.

Edit

Got your frag ready. Should heal and attach soon.

HSbKf2r.jpg

Frag is :wub:. Guess I better start that new tank omgomgomg. LOL. Or I can squeeze it into one of my existing two tanks.

Let me know when it's ready to go and how much to send :).

Well bummer that it's the same illness. Get well soon :flower:.

OMG!!!!! I love that they are discovering so many new ones!!!!!

edit: my fish JUST arrived omgomgomg

Frag is :wub:. Guess I better start that new tank omgomgomg. LOL. Or I can squeeze it into one of my existing two tanks.Let me know when it's ready to go and how much to send :).Well bummer that it's the same illness. Get well soon :flower:. OMG!!!!! I love that they are discovering so many new ones!!!!!edit: my fish JUST arrived omgomgomg

I'll ship it in next few weeks. No worries about shipping cost.

There are sooooooooo many gobies. I could trash this thread with links, info and pics if I wanted to lol

But I truly find them fascinating. I should mention that pistol shrimp, mantis shrimp, emperor shrimp and few others also intrigue me.

And you finally got your gobies........ awesome.

Now we need to see them and tell me how you like them.

I wonder how they respond to new surroundings. My Tiger, was MIA for 24hrs. He is still cautiously patrolling around his favorite rock. But at least I get to see him more often. Also, I have a theory about tiny initial confusion about stripes and color. I am positive it's some sort of defensive reaction or due to stress. After few days he looks exactly like ORA reference picture. Stripes got thinner and body is very translucent. Houdini indeed.

Atos, Portos and AramisWivyxrz.jpgcYOF4zw.jpg1c7BppA.jpg

And Romeo fI0C8ZT.jpg

Aww :wub: they're so cute. I can't wait until I find a little goby for my tank!

ETA: I just saw your post about the green sinularia; do you have any left? If so, how much would a small frag be shipped to Central Florida? I've looked all over for this <3

I'll ship it in next few weeks. No worries about shipping cost.

There are sooooooooo many gobies. I could trash this thread with links, info and pics if I wanted to lol

But I truly find them fascinating. I should mention that pistol shrimp, mantis shrimp, emperor shrimp and few others also intrigue me.

And you finally got your gobies........ awesome.

Now we need to see them and tell me how you like them.

I wonder how they respond to new surroundings. My Tiger, was MIA for 24hrs. He is still cautiously patrolling around his favorite rock. But at least I get to see him more often. Also, I have a theory about tiny initial confusion about stripes and color. I am positive it's some sort of defensive reaction or due to stress. After few days he looks exactly like ORA reference picture. Stripes got thinner and body is very translucent. Houdini indeed.

I can send you some monticap if you want it? It could be a trade :).

I say trash the thread with goby links LOL. I enjoy checking them all out.

So far I LOVE the new gobies. They are a little bigger getting 2" at max size. They have frilly fins and kinda remind

me of clownfish or white and black tigers :). They are pretty darn cool looking. You should consider getting them at some point :).

So is Houdini the official name? I'm glad to hear you get to see him more often. I'm hoping it won't take long for mine

to feel more comfortable and really show themselves!

Amazingly beautiful gobies

z2MsrkJ.jpg

Trimma meranyx and Trimma pajama

Gorgeous! Are they saltwater or freshwater? They kinda have a FW look to them. I think it's the head/eyes. But the brighter

colors have me leaning towards SW.

Aww :wub: they're sin cute. I can't wait until I find a little goby for my tank!

ETA: I just saw your post about the green sinularia; do you have any left? If so, how much would a small frag be shipped to Central Florida? I've looked all over for this <3

What gobies were you looking for?

They are cute indeed. Very charismatic little fish with huge personality.

I have one more smaller frag I could give away. I am not in it for the money, so yes, it is yours. Not sure how much it will cost to ship but it shouldn't be much. I think priority mail should be ok. I will add some heat packs just to be sure.

I can send you some monticap if you want it? It could be a trade :).I say trash the thread with goby links LOL. I enjoy checking them all out.So far I LOVE the new gobies. They are a little bigger getting 2" at max size. They have frilly fins and kinda remindme of clownfish or white and black tigers :). They are pretty darn cool looking. You should consider getting them at some point :).So is Houdini the official name? I'm glad to hear you get to see him more often. I'm hoping it won't take long for mineto feel more comfortable and really show themselves! Gorgeous! Are they saltwater or freshwater? They kinda have a FW look to them. I think it's the head/eyes. But the brightercolors have me leaning towards SW.

Hard to believe but yes, both are saltwater species. But I can see how someone could take those gobies for FW kind.

Both live in shallow waters between heavily populated halimeda fields. First one is Meranyx and 2nd Pajama Trimma.

The newest (at least as far as I know) is Trimma Zurae. This guy is extremely cryptic and lives among sponges. I believe it is from Philippines.

Of cause I want your gobies lol but No room for more. I could put another pair in my 16g but these guys grow a little bigger. Perhaps soon. When new tank starts taking shape and becomes a reality. Congrats Gena on beautiful pair of "goobies".

Houdini is his name. It's permanent lol still need to get some pics but he isn't cooperative.I will give him some room till he becomes more comfortable with new surroundings.

And no pressure on frag swap. If you got some, great. If not, no worries. Glad I could help.

Trimma Zurae

OcqULaW.jpg

Hq7dW7N.jpg

Peekaboo game - why some gobies are hard to find and even harder to collect:

wQ5n74m.jpg

dw3b6qJ.jpg

vJ9xGRb.jpg

dadZmBw.jpg

ZWRj3iC.jpg

SaD0RDG.jpg

In 5th pic there are actually 2 gobies. Take another look ;)

What gobies were you looking for?

They are cute indeed. Very charismatic little fish with huge personality.

I have one more smaller frag I could give away. I am not in it for the money, so yes, it is yours. Not sure how much it will cost to ship but it shouldn't be much. I think priority mail should be ok. I will add some heat packs just to be sure.

That's what Gena was saying about her GBG; my tank is only 2.5 so a goby seemed like the responsible fish choice, but Gena's accounts of her GBG made me really excited about getting a goby. I had thought I wanted a GBG, but seeing the variety available here on your thread, I'm toying with the idea of something a little less common, since I'm limited to one fish. (although the GBG sound so personable...)

Oh, yay; that's so nice of you! I'll PM you my address, let me know how much shipping is and I'll paypal you ^_^

Those are some really stunning photos. I never knew gobies where so skilled at camouflage.

That's what Gena was saying about her GBG; my tank is only 2.5 so a goby seemed like the responsible fish choice, but Gena's accounts of her GBG made me really excited about getting a goby. I had thought I wanted a GBG, but seeing the variety available here on your thread, I'm toying with the idea of something a little less common, since I'm limited to one fish. (although the GBG sound so personable...)

Oh, yay; that's so nice of you! I'll PM you my address, let me know how much shipping is and I'll paypal you ^_^

Those are some really stunning photos. I never knew gobies where so skilled at camouflage.

Green bandeds are an excellent choice! The little guys are full of charm and charisma :D. I don't think you can

go wrong with any of the dwarf gobies though!

Wow..those camouflage gobies are incredible!!!!! So cool. It's settled...I will send you monticap. I'm just gonna need

your address.

Green bandeds are an excellent choice! The little guys are full of charm and charisma :D. I don't think you cango wrong with any of the dwarf gobies though!Wow..those camouflage gobies are incredible!!!!! So cool. It's settled...I will send you monticap. I'm just gonna needyour address.

GBG are great. And Gena is right. These guys are all about personality. Well, they are also pretty. You could probably get away with pair. But to be on the safe side (if you go with a pair) get the biggest and the smallest of the bunch. Chances are both are still females but morph is more plausible with substantial size difference. It's also very wise to take size and bioload into account with pico that size. Bravo

Hi Gena

PM replied and thanks for your generosity.

And yeah, it's fascinating that they keep discovering more amazing gobies every year.

I am guessing that more advanced scuba diving equipment helps. Interestingly not all gobies live in shallow waters. In fact most colorful ones are found at 50 - 75 feet deep.

Did you know that GBG lives in symbiotic relationship with sea urchins?

That's a fact ;)

I also have nice pic of your clown goby somewhere. Just have to dig it up.

Hope your day went smooth without to much drama..... how's Chloe doing?

GBG are great. And Gena is right. These guys are all about personality. Well, they are also pretty. You could probably get away with pair. But to be on the safe side (if you go with a pair) get the biggest and the smallest of the bunch. Chances are both are still females but morph is more plausible with substantial size difference. It's also very wise to take size and bioload into account with pico that size. Bravo

Hi Gena

And yeah, it's fascinating that they keep discovering more amazing gobies every year.

I am guessing that more advanced scuba diving equipment helps. Interestingly not all gobies live in shallow waters. In fact most colorful ones are found at 50 - 75 feet deep.

That's a fact ;)

Do they change genders like clownfish? I didn't know that! You learn something new every day! A pair would be really cool. Yeah, I learned the hard way not to over-stock...I *may* have put a teeny, tiny baby clown in my first SW tank(also 2.5 gallons, and I was already planning an upgrade by the time I got her, but still...) and I had to live with her disapproving looks for several weeks before the upgrade was ready. Never again!

Green bandeds are an excellent choice! The little guys are full of charm and charisma :D. I don't think you cango wrong with any of the dwarf gobies though!Wow..those camouflage gobies are incredible!!!!! So cool. It's settled...I will send you monticap. I'm just gonna needyour address.

Yours are what got me interested in the GBG, they're just so adorable!

What is that first goby? It looks like a photo of a baby lionfish I saw once!

Hi Gena

That's a fact ;)

I didn't know that about the sea urchins! Is it the long spine ones? Or the pincushion variety? I have a tuxedo

urchin and I've never seen them near it. But then those guys aren't native to the GBG's area, I don't think.

And few more weird ones:

jwEyp9E.jpg

72gghZp.jpg

EIwYCX5.jpg

kkDqvro.jpg

JW9GfDy.jpg

eXl3gre.jpg

I really love the first and last one !!!!

Those are incredible!!!!!! Can you imagine having one or all? Just amazing little fish :wub:.

Do they change genders like clownfish? I didn't know that! You learn something new every day! A pair would be really cool. Yeah, I learned the hard way not to over-stock...I *may* have put a teeny, tiny baby clown in my first SW tank(also 2.5 gallons, and I was already planning an upgrade by the time I got her, but still...) and I had to live with her disapproving looks for several weeks before the upgrade was ready. Never again!

Yours are what got me interested in the GBG, they're just so adorable!

What is that first goby? It looks like a photo of a baby lionfish I saw once!

You aren't the first or last one I promise. I have done my share of silly and costly mistakes. It's a learning experience that will test your patience at times. But when things do get better and your efforts are rewarded with healthy and good looking tank. Failure is quickly forgotten.

Clownfish as cute and innocent as it may seems, is often a bag of unpleasant surprises. Don't get me wrong. I love them but only if given the proper care and in the right setup. Been there, done that.

Gobies are blessing for small nano/pico tanks. For obvious reasons.

As to the first picture...... lol yes, it does look like baby lionfish. But I am pretty sure it is not. Would love to tell you more about it but website I found this and few other rare gobies is only in Japanese. :(

Great number of amazing species come from that area. Unfortunately, those species will never get to US market.

GBG will be perfect for you and yes, the do change sex. Female can become male and vice versa. Most dominant fish becomes male. Rest remain as females. There is usually few to several females per one male. But it isn't the rule for every goby specie.

I didn't know that about the sea urchins! Is it the long spine ones? Or the pincushion variety? I have a tuxedourchin and I've never seen them near it. But then those guys aren't native to the GBG's area, I don't think. Those are incredible!!!!!! Can you imagine having one or all? Just amazing little fish :wub:.

I'll look it up Gena. But I don't remember them mentioned any specific urchin.

Yes, those gobies are amazing.

WHY NO ONE SELLS THESE GUYS.......... ?

Archived