• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TheKleinReef

Look, creeps, you can see all my stuff!

17127152365_43e9199461.jpg

EEEE!

16919768437_1bb9c4b910.jpg

And this is what a cloudy tank looks like...

16919768407_be6b147252.jpg

I need to get a heater. The one I wanted to get is too long (that's what she said). So for now I am borrowing the one from my biocube since it's warm enough with the hood on.

gonna bring it to the next page.

looks good! can't wait to see this progress!

I super excited! Looks like a limpet hitched over on the thermometer from the bio cube. Hopefully I'll be able to tell if he's moved later today!

Quick question on your RO unit. How much waste are you seeing vs production?

We get our RO from a LFS and I was recently given a RO unit, but it seems to have insane waste. I'm still tinkering with it though. Also, what TDS meter did you go for?

Thanks!

jedimasterben

We get our RO from a LFS and I was recently given a RO unit, but it seems to have insane waste. I'm still tinkering with it though. Also, what TDS meter did you go for?

Thanks!

If your input water is hard, the RO membrane needs a 4:1 ratio to keep the membrane flushed, that is four gallons of waste and one gallon product. There isn't much way around that unless you have a water softener. My water is softened and I use a 2:1 ratio.

Thanks!

Whatever Ben said. I have no idea how much waste I am getting. All I can tell you is that I have it hooked up to my kitchen sink, turn the faucet on full blast, and it takes 1 hour 30 minutes to get 5 gallons. Hopefully my landlord doesn't get mad nowthat I need to be making 10 gallons a week... :ninja:

If your input water is hard, the RO membrane needs a 4:1 ratio to keep the membrane flushed, that is four gallons of waste and one gallon product. There isn't much way around that unless you have a water softener. My water is softened and I use a 2:1 ratio.

Yeah... so I'm discovering. Guess I'm going to need to get a water storage barrel for the yard. :)

Any tips on a good TDS meter?

Whatever Ben said. I have no idea how much waste I am getting. All I can tell you is that I have it hooked up to my kitchen sink, turn the faucet on full blast, and it takes 1 hour 30 minutes to get 5 gallons. Hopefully my landlord doesn't get mad nowthat I need to be making 10 gallons a week... :ninja:

That doesnt seem too bad for 5 gallon. :)

jedimasterben

All I can tell you is that I have it hooked up to my kitchen sink, turn the faucet on full blast, and it takes 1 hour 30 minutes to get 5 gallons.

Jeebus. Takes me around 45-50 minutes to do 5g, closer to 40 if the water table temperature is in my favor. I also have a booster pump, though, so pressure is around 95PSI.

Yeah... so I'm discovering. Guess I'm going to need to get a water storage barrel for the yard. :)

Any tips on a good TDS meter?

http://www.amazon.com/HM-Digital-TDS-3-Handheld-Carrying/dp/B000VTQM70/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429111325&sr=8-1&keywords=tds3

This is the one I got from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/HM-Digital-TDS-EZ-Measurement-Resolution/dp/B002C0A7ZY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429111230&sr=8-1&keywords=tds+meter

I have fun testing my drinking and tap water too!

Thanks! I'll take a look.

Jeebus. Takes me around 45-50 minutes to do 5g, closer to 40 if the water table temperature is in my favor. I also have a booster pump, though, so pressure is around 95PSI.

http://www.amazon.com/HM-Digital-TDS-3-Handheld-Carrying/dp/B000VTQM70/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429111325&sr=8-1&keywords=tds3

Thanks for the tip!

The RO unit I'm tinkering with is real slow, but our water pressure is pretty terrible and the water from the hose was pretty cold when I was trying it out.

jedimasterben

Thanks! I'll take a look.

Thanks for the tip!

The RO unit I'm tinkering with is real slow, but our water pressure is pretty terrible and the water from the hose was pretty cold when I was trying it out.

Well, at least cold water treats better :D

A booster pump is around $100, it makes making water go MUCH faster and give the RO membrane a higher rejection rate, which can really save on DI resin.

I got a 90gpd unit and my pressure is about 50-60. Is there an ideal temperature? Since I hook it up to my kitchen sink I can go super cold or super hot - Yes, I know super hot is bad! I run it cold-ish but not as cold as it could be.

I have the Smart Buddie booster pump, and really like it. It automatically flushes and stops boosting when the valve is closed. I also got a cheap float valve to cut off automatically. Works great! I can do 5 gallons in about 40 minutes.

You don't to use water from the hot line because it sits in the hot water heater with lots of mineral gunk in the bottom contaminating your water.

Nice! Did you get the faucet thing working properly? We had an awful time trying to get the adapter out of the sink initially, and I permanently left a brass adapter/insert for the Python on it because it's so much easier to get on/off, & the RODI adapter fits fine. People just ask why the water in our sink comes out all weird :lol:

I didn't see this earlier, sorry!

My mom found me a quick release thing for the faucet. so I leave a little adapter in all the time and yeah it makes the water come out funny. But I'm weak and don't have a lot of tools, so this was the easiest solution. Plus, I'm in an apartment, my sink isn't pretty to begin with. No one is gonna come judge me for leaving my adapter in the faucet.

If I had a house, I would have just installed it under the sink directly to the cold water side.

I have my heater now! So I can get that installed today after work. Also, I going through about 1/4 gallon of water evaporation a day. So I really need to get the ATO installed!

Tonight is tank maintenance night!

Ammonia, Nitrite, nitrate are all at 0 - tested last night.

Rocks were in a bucket of dirty water from tank #1 for 3 weeks. Put into the tank with live sand and more dirty water a week ago. Every few days (for the past month) I would drop a few pellets of food in with the mixing rocks.

The limpet that hiked over on the heater from my biocube is still kicking.

How much is a bottle of ammonia from Ace? I would really have no other use for it, other than to make sure my cycle is complete. Or is it safe to start adding stuff? I'm leaning towards "maybe, but probably not" as I don't see any algae at all. Perhaps I need to get a light on there to start getting some?

Look for Dr. Tim's One and Only bacteria in a bottle. It's the stuff of miracles :). I need to pick up another bottle this weekend. I dumped the last of it in my QT tank.

Archived