SaltCritters.com

Fishfreak's foxy BC29: Brine Shrimp!

fishfreak0114

fishfreak0114
5 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

I'm glad the dendro's mouth is better, and I hope yours gets better soon!

Thanks teeny, I just fed the dendro again :) (and all the other coral too).  If it makes a full recovery that would be a truly incredible example of the resilience of corals.  I still remember how bad it was when I first got it, this kind of reminds me of the first time it was nearly dead.  My mouth is loads better today!

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

I crushed a number of vermetids with tweezers earlier. Jacques jumped right in to nom the remains :) I need to take some time to do a really thorough job, I know there's more in there. This morning I also fragged the colt coral and moved the brownish/green center trumpet up a bit to keep it away from the Duncan. Dendro is looking a tad better today, I fed it again this morning. 

I've always considered myself fairly patient when it comes to tanks, but it's so hard to not add anything!  I'm already making a list of things to add when the fallow period is up, I'm considering another coral order but we'll see.  There's a place called incredible aquariums I would consider ordering from, but I can't find a whole lot of reviews. They do have some decent corals for reasonable prices though :) For me, the problem with making an order is I only place one if I'm spending more than $100 because of shipping costs. So if they didn't have enough things I wanted it just wouldn't be worth it. 

• Like 2
fishfreak0114

I took a couple pics the other day

P3130940_zpsoumwfrid.jpg

P3130951_zpsjoij2jbu.jpg

The toadstool has at least doubled in size since I got it last spring.  Love it!  I can see it better than ever where it is now.

P3130941_zpsffddvxq7.jpg

P3130945_zpsjcrfzyk5.jpg

The porcelain crab has returned home!

P3130944_zpsyxpdct4n.jpg

I finally managed to take a decent shot of the acans!  I find that no matter the angle, they always turn out blurry so I’m pretty happy right now :)

P3130948_zpsmp2gfu4o.jpg

P3140953_zps9rzlgsjy.jpg

The dendro has continued it recovery!  Here’s some updated pics, the first is on the 10th, the second is a couple days ago.

P3100933_zpsb29vyqc1.jpg

P3140955_zpszm8a7mgd.jpg

• Like 8
fishfreak0114

I've been looking into getting a heater controller.  There was a thread sometime back that talked about inkbird ones, and they seem affordable. So here's my question. What one should I get?  I've done lots of reading, but I just can't figure it out.  Would the inkbird itc-308 work?

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B011296704/ref=mp_s_a_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1489683079&sr=8-16&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=inkbird+temperature+controller

I suppose the problem I'm having figuring out which one to get lies in the fact that I don't understand how this works.  Does the heater plug into the inkbird?  And is there a probe of sorts that keeps track of the temperature in my tank?  Or am I on completely the wrong track?

Off to read more!

• Like 1

I don't have one, but yes, that's pretty much how they work. They have a temperature probe and they turn the outlet on and off to control the temperature. So you set the thermostat on your heater a degree or two higher that your target temperature, and the controller turns it on and off from there.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
3 hours ago, teenyreef said:

I don't have one, but yes, that's pretty much how they work. They have a temperature probe and they turn the outlet on and off to control the temperature. So you set the thermostat on your heater a degree or two higher that your target temperature, and the controller turns it on and off from there.

Thank you!  Lately I've been worrying more and more that my heater will fail as it gets older, so I think a heater controller will be a worthwhile investment. Just for the peace of mind. 

• Like 1

Oh my goodness, I don't know how I missed these pics the other day, but everything is looking SO GOOD!!!!

So much beautiful, healthy Reef Life!!!!

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
3 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Oh my goodness, I don't know how I missed these pics the other day, but everything is looking SO GOOD!!!!

So much beautiful, healthy Reef Life!!!!

Thanks so much Weetie! :) 

fishfreak0114

Ok so the fish are still doing good, because I've been feeding really light I decided to feed them everyday this weekend.  Now that they're in a 10g water changes are easy, I did 50% this morning and I will do the same tomorrow or Monday.  Planning on a water change for the reef tomorrow or Monday also.

This isn't saltwater related, but advice would be appreciated if anyone has some.  In my 10g and 26g planted tanks I've recently had what I believe to be either rhizoclonium or cladophora algae crop up.  Needless to say I'm not happy about that, it's growing like mad in the 10. Any tips for killing it?  I plan to attack it in the 10g first (it's not really growing fast in the 26g, manual removal once a week is easy).  So I was thinking manual removal, ODing flourish excel (which I already somewhat do), peroxide treatment (I need to read more on this), and a three day blackout, repeating if necessary.  

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

I just blasted the rocks with a turkey baster, and now that al the stuff floating around I can go vermetid hunting.  Already nabbed one who was hiding out of sight behind a blasto.  Tweezers are my weapon of choice.  I also noticed two spaghetti worms which I haven't seen in my tank before.  I'm gonna let them stay, and monitor their population.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
27 minutes ago, RIP Sebastian said:

Good luck! I spent an hour and a half in my tank yesterday weeding caulerpa.

I got like 10 more!  Geez I didnt't realize I had so many :unsure: it's time for me to thin out the caulerpa too, it grows like crazy!

• Like 1
RIP Sebastian
5 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

I got like 10 more!  Geez I didnt't realize I had so many :unsure: it's time for me to thin out the caulerpa too, it grows like crazy!

Tweezers are your friend there, too.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

I had planned to leave the tank fish less for 3 months, but I think I'm going to go with the standard 8 weeks for 3 reasons. 

1. I'm impatient and REALLY REALLY want to buy stuff. It's at the point where I'm making shopping carts on the various coral websites even though I know I can't buy them. 

2. I'm getting low on IO and don't want to use RSCP on the QT because it's way more expensive. 

3. I worry about Bernard. I haven't really seen him eat at all. He just doesn't come out. I have to assume he is eating because he isn't getting thinner, but he is not loving life in that sad little tank. He has stress colors on a lot. I also don't see Jim eat tons, but at least I know he's eating something. 

So the countdown is on.  April 6th is the day!

• Like 1
natalia_la_loca

Your corals are looking fantastic :)

It's great that you're staying on top of the vermetids. It really isn't that hard to completely eradicate them even in a well-fed tank, but it requires a lot of vigilance. Stirring up the sandbed so that they release their strings is a perfect way to find them.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Thanks Natalia :) I'm really trying to beat the vermetids back. I'm not sure if I'll be able to get rid of every last one because I can't reach some places, but I'll give it my best shot.  

RIP Sebastian
2 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

I had planned to leave the tank fish less for 3 months, but I think I'm going to go with the standard 8 weeks for 3 reasons. 

1. I'm impatient and REALLY REALLY want to buy stuff. It's at the point where I'm making shopping carts on the various coral websites even though I know I can't buy them. 

2. I'm getting low on IO and don't want to use RSCP on the QT because it's way more expensive. 

3. I worry about Bernard. I haven't really seen him eat at all. He just doesn't come out. I have to assume he is eating because he isn't getting thinner, but he is not loving life in that sad little tank. He has stress colors on a lot. I also don't see Jim eat tons, but at least I know he's eating something. 

So the countdown is on.  April 6th is the day!

I have various shopping carts everywhere, too. :)

What's on April 6th? I haven't been the most diligent follower.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
7 minutes ago, RIP Sebastian said:

I have various shopping carts everywhere, too. :)

What's on April 6th? I haven't been the most diligent follower.

Well at least I'm not alone then haha.  Today, because I had nothing better to do, I made a cart on every coral website in Canada that I could find.  Which honestly isn't that many, maybe 5 or 6.  On April 6th the fish go back into the DT!  I had planned for 12 weeks fallow, but have decided that's a no go.  This morning I looked at the calendar and 8 weeks is April 6th!

RIP Sebastian
12 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Well at least I'm not alone then haha.  Today, because I had nothing better to do, I made a cart on every coral website in Canada that I could find.  Which honestly isn't that many, maybe 5 or 6.  On April 6th the fish go back into the DT!  I had planned for 12 weeks fallow, but have decided that's a no go.  This morning I looked at the calendar and 8 weeks is April 6th!

Ah! Sounds like coral shopping online in Canada is a lot less time consuming than in the US! :lol:

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
10 minutes ago, RIP Sebastian said:

Ah! Sounds like coral shopping online in Canada is a lot less time consuming than in the US! :lol:

Yep we don't have nearly enough stores!  Once in a while I browse a US store but that just makes me sad.  VIP Reefs has such nice RFA's!  I really want another, but if I want to get a brightly colored one it'll probably cost  >$100.

I want something colorful like this

https://www.canadacorals.com/collections/anemone/products/fire-and-ice-rock-flower-anemone

RIP Sebastian

Nice! I really enjoyed Got Corals. Family owned and amazing prices. Which, still in the states, but you could always ask. You may eventually even be able to breed them and make a nice profit.

• Like 2
fishfreak0114

So this morning I looked in the tank to make sure everyone was happy in there when I noticed what looked like little white dots hovering near some zoas.  Further inspection revealed that it was a ball nem!  Its tucked in a little crevice.  I've always hoped one would turn up at some point, they're neat.

P3220982_zpsc21lkdrl.jpg

P3180963_zpsutiycwhu.jpg

Awful picture, but I think the orange acan is growing a little baby :) I guess regular feeding is paying off

P3220987_zpsksm2ubss.jpg

The hammer has really grown to be massive.  I still remember when I bought it as two heads for $18.99 from Total Pet when they still carried saltwater stuff.

P3200967_zpsthfw7a99.jpg

This is the dendro as of this morning

P3220983_zpsmvlgdj89.jpg

Little spots of coralline are already appearing on the zoa island.  I've noticed an increase in coralline growth lately, I suspect scraping the back wall off helped spread it around some.

P3220984_zpsx6pvnsgc.jpg

P3220985_zpsarv5foe4.jpg

• Like 4
23 hours ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Yep we don't have nearly enough stores!  Once in a while I browse a US store but that just makes me sad.  VIP Reefs has such nice RFA's!  I really want another, but if I want to get a brightly colored one it'll probably cost  >$100.

I want something colorful like this

https://www.canadacorals.com/collections/anemone/products/fire-and-ice-rock-flower-anemone

That is pretty, but expensive. 

Cool ball anemone!! 

I had some show up in some LR a few years back and I always enjoyed them. 

• Like 1

Are u sure that isn't a Glass (Aiptasia) Anemone?

If it is, GET RID of that Sucker! I finally have my infestation under control.

• Like 2