Pod Your Reef

Fishfreak's foxy BC29: Brine Shrimp!

fishfreak0114

fishfreak0114
27 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

That is pretty, but expensive. 

Cool ball anemone!! 

I had some show up in some LR a few years back and I always enjoyed them. 

I continued looking last night and found a place, crazy for corals, that sells RFA's cheaper.  Of course they're on sale now when I can't buy any, but regularly they're $90 which isn't too bad.  I might get 2.  And then I think, do I really want to move a kajillion corals while they find a place they're happy?  The last one was quite the wanderer :) 

Did your ball nems multiply?

28 minutes ago, Astinus said:

Are u sure that isn't a Glass (Aiptasia) Anemone?

If it is, GET RID of that Sucker! I finally have my infestation under control.

That was my first thought, but I googled it and it is definitely a ball nem.  Glad to hear your winning the battle!  I've been lucky enough so far to not encounter any aiptasia.

• Like 2

It's funny, but my RFA hasn't wandered at all yet. 

"Yet" being the important word there, I guess. 

My Ball Nems never multiplied that I saw. 

• Like 2
newaquariumguy
On 2/22/2015 at 10:48 AM, fishfreak0114 said:

Thanks cronicreefer. I really have no clue how to use it. Its the aquaticlife 115. I'm not sure which way to turn it. I tried both ways in the test, but it just kept bubbling on.

I built my first aquarium last month. I purchased it from Petco. It was a 6.2 gallon and can hold 3 small fish.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

I'm kinda worried about the dendro.  Around midday yesterday it retracted, so I assumed something walked on it. But this morning it's still retracted and it's paler, almost like what happened last time is about to repeat itself. Literally nothing has changed to spark this response, so IDK what to think. Hopefully it's just angry. Its mouth is gaping.  I just did a short iodine dip in hopes that helps. 

fishfreak0114
46 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Do you know what caused the problem last time?

When is the last time you fed it?

No idea what happened last time, one day it was happy and puffy, the next it was almost a skeleton.  I fed it a couple days ago with a couple my mysis shrimp.

14 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

No idea what happened last time, one day it was happy and puffy, the next it was almost a skeleton.  I fed it a couple days ago with a couple my mysis shrimp.

:(  Sorry to hear that.  Hate it when something goes kapooey and u have no idea.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
4 minutes ago, Astinus said:

:(  Sorry to hear that.  Hate it when something goes kapooey and u have no idea.

It sure is perplexing. I'm hoping it bounces back again, but I'm leaving in less than an hour until tomorrow night so I can't do anything further to try and help it.  I did attempt to feed it a few minutes ago, but because it has no tentacles thingies out it couldn't grab on.

Uh oh, sorry to hear about the dendro. Sometimes you can coax it to eat a little by turning off the pumps and just dusting some small particulate food on it, like reef roids or PE Calanus - anything small that can drift down inside without needing the polyps to pull it in. Leave it for ten of fifteen minutes even if there's no response - sometimes enough gets in that it triggers the dendro to start expanding again later in the day.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Well it's looking good for the dendro :) When I came over yesterday it was happy and extended and still is.  My mom said it opened fairly quickly after the iodine dip.  I wonder what was wrong with it?  One thing I did notice was a couple of the little yellow squiggly filaments were hanging off the sides on Friday.  Just a couple little spots which makes me wonder if something was eating/picking at it?  I'll still be keeping a close eye, and if it starts looking crappy I'll dip it again. 

• Like 5

I am happy the dendro is perking up.  Hopefully you wont have any more issues with it.  That has to feel rewarding after thinking it was a goner?

• Like 2
fishfreak0114
5 hours ago, vlangel said:

I am happy the dendro is perking up.  Hopefully you wont have any more issues with it.  That has to feel rewarding after thinking it was a goner?

It is a good feeling.  The dendro has really proved its resilience :) I just wish I knew what caused the problems to begin with so I could prevent it from reoccurring.  

I think if I ever come across another one of them I'll pick it up, though not overly colorful I find it to be such a fascinating coral.

• Like 2
fishfreak0114
2 hours ago, HIppieRose said:

I like pictures.

Well that's good because I took a bunch today!  Just gotta go through them and then use the ever so painfully slow photobucket. Hopefully I'll get them up by tomorrow :) 

fishfreak0114

FTS!:happydance:

P3281064_zpscbx92nss.jpg

P3281053_zpsx1ttobf9.jpg

P3281066_zpsuxxmeqt6.jpg

I thought I would see what the tank looked like with flash photography.  I just read an article about flash making things look sharper, but I’m not a fan of the coloration it gives.

P3281054_zpsjx7nz5fm.jpg

I was in the mood to play around with the macro mode on my camera.  It took a bit of practice, but I think in the end I took some alright pics.

The Japanese leather

P3281035_zpsbwu5mzn6.jpg

P3281034_zpsgqyd6l7n.jpg

This leather is towards the back of the tank just to the right of the toadstool.  It has grown decently, all these branches used to be stubby.

P3281033_zpsxira2kxj.jpg

The big finger leather (one of my favorite things in the tank just because it’s so large it catches my eye.

P3271021d_zpsinijj6ww.jpg

A piece of colt coral, which rests in the macro algae toward the back of the tank.  I’m getting quite annoyed with the colt coral, no matter how much I trim it, it always seems to reach the corky finger and piss it off.  This morning I took scissors and clipped of two more chunks.  I’m awful at getting it to attach to stuff, so for the time being all my trimmings are just kind of nestled in the macro.

P3271021_zpslpwq0r1b.jpg

Gorg that I have yet to place.  I just don’t know where to put it!  Same with the green polyp toadstool.  I’ll find somewhere eventually!

P3271016_zpssh1cy3o1.jpg

P3270989d_zpsoiqu1i5w.jpg

Green polyp toadstool

P3271012_zpsdbikfkik.jpg

The zoas are looking fabulous :)

P3281029_zpsdac3kln9.jpg

P3291067_zpsivw0eaj4.jpg

P3281066d_zpsngwh6pzy.jpg

P3291071_zpsutcqaxut.jpg

P3291072_zps0oviownr.jpg

P3291073_zps2m20xdet.jpg

P3291074_zps2qazjgh6.jpg

I’m not a huge fan of these particular ones.  I gave more than half away, and I may get rid of the rest.  Need to save that valuable real-estate for colorful pieces!

P3291074e_zpsyomaorky.jpg

The acans constantly have feeder tentacles out.  I’m glad they’re happy :) 

P3281029s_zpstpfkd89f.jpg

P3271008_zps2arohfsp.jpg

P3270993_zps2ibr0chi.jpg

Happy walking dendro :wub:

P3281031_zpstcllygtm.jpg

I was in Vancouver on the weekend and happened upon a small shoe store that had so many Vans!  Couldn’t pass up these sick Star Wars ones, they were 75% off! B)

P3281028_zpswsq6liyd.jpg

The RFA looks really weird when it eats.  Today it was particularly poofy.

P3271027_zpsix9mp1yo.jpg

The limpet population is high.  I rarely see babies, but I have many of these larger, just under 1cm, ones.

P3271026_zpsqhc7ycxz.jpg

The pink Duncan has around 10 heads now, and the green is at 5 :)

P3271024_zpsdiarks9u.jpg

P3271023_zpsq1spzh2v.jpg

The plates are growing pretty quick

P3271020_zpsipcntkci.jpg

The porcelain crab looked so beautiful as it was waving its little fans in the current.

P3271004_zpsxrkhyybr.jpg

The trumpet is much happier now that it has swapped places with the nuclear greens. 

P3270989_zpsu29divoz.jpg

• Like 6