Pod Your Reef

Nano Box Hybrid : Pricing, Pictures, Info

DaveFason

One of my two hybrids came in yesterday and after a day on the lake fishingtoday I decided to put it up over my 30g since my 130 won't be here until Monday. I figured I might as well start acclimating the corals to the new light. Mounted it under a shelf like I had my Radions. Tomorrow I will probably use the wires to lower it because I think it is sitting to high.

More picture tomorrow

post-85057-0-57347200-1433396149_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

planning on creating a dimmerable t5 with bluefish or not in the near future

The Bluefish mini only outputs a 3.3v PWM signal. Dimming fluorescent ballasts only exist in 0-10v analog forms and are not compatible without a control circuit with a logic chip to actively convert the signal. It adds additional cost and complexity that almost no one will use. On top of that, dimming fluorescent lamps significantly reduces their usable phosphor lifespan and should not be done.

what would you guys recommend for full blown SPS frag tank 30x20x(8-9) ? leaning toward 4 bulb but not sure 3 or 4 v3 chips and are all 4 bulbs on the same channel or can it be 2 and 2?

jedimasterben

The 8-9" tank depth can be a problem with four lamps. These are some PAR readings I just got for four lamps (one each ATI Blue Plus, ATI Coral Plus, Giesemann Actinic Blue, Giesemann Aquablue Coral). 36x18 is the biggest I could get. This is with the sensor 24" away.

t5ho%252520par.png

You'd have to keep the light 14-15" above your tank to get the above PAR numbers from just the T5 lamps. You will basically be limited to SPS and higher-light tolerant LPS and soft corals, luckily a lot of those can be acclimated very slowly.

I think I would go with two T5 lamps and then three arrays for coverage (if Dave is willing to do three arrays).

its going to be for 100% acropora and will be mounted via adjustable 10-12" above the water line so I'm not to much worried about the 4 bulbs. are all four on the same ballast or is it 2&2 Thanks in advance

its going to be for 100% acropora and will be mounted via adjustable 10-12" above the water line so I'm not to much worried about the 4 bulbs. are all four on the same ballast or is it 2&2 Thanks in advance

Chris,

It would be a little overkill like Ben said. However you can do it! Drop me an email with other questions.

-Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Dave I'm in the process of putting together a 24L x 24W x 12 H sps tank and currently stumped on what I am going to use for lighting. I was initially thinking the duo but was concerned about spread as it is a cube but otherwise a shallow tank. What would you recommend ?

Dave I'm in the process of putting together a 24L x 24W x 12 H sps tank and currently stumped on what I am going to use for lighting. I was initially thinking the duo but was concerned about spread as it is a cube but otherwise a shallow tank. What would you recommend ?

I would go with a QUAD. If you don't want all LED then the Hybrid 2T5/4LED array.

-Dave

• 2 weeks later...
Paleoreef103

Hey Dave, the only complaints I've heard about these units is that you can see some of the wiring. Any thoughts on milling a thin piece of aluminum or even acrylic with holes for the LED arrays to put over the central LED portion of the heatsink? I think that would put these over the top as the slickest fixtures on the planet.

Hey Dave, the only complaints I've heard about these units is that you can see some of the wiring. Any thoughts on milling a thin piece of aluminum or even acrylic with holes for the LED arrays to put over the central LED portion of the heatsink? I think that would put these over the top as the slickest fixtures on the planet.

I agree that it would look much more professional with all the wires hidden, but also, when would you ever see the wires? I've never seen the bottom of my hybrid since hanging it

I tried a few different options but never really thought it looked better. But I am always looking to improve so who knows. ;)

• 4 weeks later...
reefernanoman

Would this hybrid be overkill for a simple nanocube 28g? Dimensions 18X22X22. I just want my SPS to have full coloration all over and not just at the top like it happens with LED'S?

Would this hybrid be overkill for a simple nanocube 28g? Dimensions 18X22X22. I just want my SPS to have full coloration all over and not just at the top like it happens with LED'S?

It would be overkill, however it would work! The main issue is the extra 1" on the sides. If you can deal with that.

-Dave

Archived