Top Shelf Aquatics

Jay's 32g Scuba Reef

Jay Wee

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to use the minimax. I used phosguard, it tumbled very well and I don't remember adjusting very often.

I guess my minimax is a little wonky then. How did phosguard work out for you? You running it in that sweet 66g?

This tank is incredible. Love the clean, scaled look and the yellow stand interior. Can't wait to see the sps pillar grown out

Thanks man! SPS are growing real slow. I think I gotta up my feeding. You're like a DIY king aren't u? Your build is awesome.

Anyone using the IM minimax reactor to run GFO? I try to let it tumble a little so it doesn't clump together. But I have to adjust the flow daily. I would set it, see it tumble and then leave it but the next day it stops tumbling. Then I'll turn the knob for more flow and let it tumble again and after a day it stops. Wondering if this is normal.

Hey Jay,

It's great to see your new established tank and the success your experiencing with it. I own 3 Minimax reactors and one of the reactors did need regular adjusting. It appeared that the pump would become dislodged at the bottom and would restrict the flow causing the GFO to stop tumbling. The other two reactors have been working flawlessly and I have GFO in one and phosguard in the other.

Thanks man! SPS are growing real slow. I think I gotta up my feeding. You're like a DIY king aren't u? Your build is awesome.

DIY king may be a bit of a stretch, but I will take the complement. SPS can be very trying on one's patience.

Hey Jay,It's great to see your new established tank and the success your experiencing with it. I own 3 Minimax reactors and one of the reactors did need regular adjusting. It appeared that the pump would become dislodged at the bottom and would restrict the flow causing the GFO to stop tumbling. The other two reactors have been working flawlessly and I have GFO in one and phosguard in the other.
Omg!!! You're alive!!! Ha I was away for awhile from NR. Came back and first thing was to revisit your thread! U've been gone for a bit. Welcome back friend! What's the game plan?

I used java moss and it took over my tank. Now two years out heavy trimming I need to re-think my scape.
I know. Java moss tend to get outa control. I just bought some. :). I'm gonna tie some clumps to the tree trunk I have to try and make it into a lush growing tree. You got a picture of your planted?

Tank looks good Jay but packed already! You need more space ;) ;)
Haha I know. It always get packed so quick. I'm rescaping and adding more rocks so there will be space!!!! Haha

Omg egginis is alive
Yes indeed!!! He is alive!!!

Jay what are you running in your media reactor just curious. I was running GFO but am thinking about switching to Phosguard or Biopellets because my gfo keep clumping at the top of my reactor.

wrote that from old acct.

I'm running GFO. I don't get the clumps but I get the non tumbling issue after a day. Maybe it's to do with the faulty pump like what egginis said. I'm gonna take it out and give the pump a good cleaning. Then im gonna switch to bio pellets. GFO has brought down my phosphate close to 0. I also don't have any major algae issues so I'm sure the GFO worked. I'm gonna try dr tim's bio pellet to help bring my nitrates down.

The clumping on your might be caused by too much GFO. Always use half of the recommended dosage first. When you use too much it tends to clump.

Yeah.. sucks. Stuck at home. I think no ones going to work tomorrow. Well that means one thing! Stay home and re-scape the tank!!!

The recommendation from Triton (and what I'll be doing) is to alternate between Al-based Po4 removers (Phosguard) and GFO. The Al based stuff slowly leeches aluminum into the water but it also removes certain other elements apparently better then GFO. GFO will remove the aluminum, so keeping them in a alternating cycle results in the advantages of both. Make sure you rinse the Phosguard extremely well though to minimize the aluminum dust.

Hows the Mame Overflow treating ya?

Your dogs are the definition of SWAG

MAME's doing real good. Just get real dirty some times. But a little flexible pipe brush does the trick. Ahaha my Frenchie girls gotta put on some swag once in awhile! :)

Love your frenchies! I am supposed to travel to Boston Thursday- doubt I'll risk it

Oh damn boston's getting hit hard. Not worth it. Stay safe my friend.

Oh damn boston's getting hit hard. Not worth it. Stay safe my friend.

Ya , we booked our national meeting - 80 people flying in for a 2 day conference - might have to reschedule - our travel agent will really love us. Boston in January - who knew? we're having a meeting on it tomorrow morning. Still thinking the airlines will be a mess by Thursday

Archived