Pod Your Reef

Jay's 32g Scuba Reef

Jay Wee

Omg thanks so much for the kind words!! Ok u get free chaeto and Zoas when I have excess since u live in Brooklyn. Haha! I'm in prospect Heights. Very near the Barclays Stadium. Dude all the newly built condos are probably all done by the same developers using the same construction company's that source for the same materials. As for reef stores there's only a couple I go to like Pop Coral, Manhattan aquarium and coral theory. I buy most of my stuff online.

But seriously my tank is nothing compared to a lot of the veteran reefers here. Check out all the TOTM profiles and get ready for a drool session. Let me know if u every need help. Nice to see a fellow Brooklyn Reefer here. :)

I love Prospect Heights area, I used to live on St. John for a year. Vanderbilt's been a hot street for awhile now but Washington has recently become a spot as well. If you like BBQ and want legit amazingess, try out Morgan's on Flatbush and St Marks.

Do you know if Coral Theory is still operating? I've tried going several weekends now and they are always closed plus they havent responded to my emails. I've only recently heard about Pops through a manhattan reef site but it sounds like a place with real passion for the hobby. As for Manhattan aquarium, I've heard very mixed things about them, I just need to go one day and take a look for myself.

Keep us updated on your tank for sure, would love to see photos every so often showing growth and changes. I've got no doubt this tank will eventually be a TOTM. And I may have to take you up on the zoa's offer =)

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love Prospect Heights area, I used to live on St. John for a year. Vanderbilt's been a hot street for awhile now but Washington has recently become a spot as well. If you like BBQ and want legit amazingess, try out Morgan's on Flatbush and St Marks.

Do you know if Coral Theory is still operating? I've tried going several weekends now and they are always closed plus they havent responded to my emails. I've only recently heard about Pops through a manhattan reef site but it sounds like a place with real passion for the hobby. As for Manhattan aquarium, I've heard very mixed things about them, I just need to go one day and take a look for myself.

Keep us updated on your tank for sure, would love to see photos every so often showing growth and changes. I've got no doubt this tank will eventually be a TOTM. And I may have to take you up on the zoa's offer =)

Vanderbilt's got hot after Chuko Ramen moved in. Damn that place is always packed. 2 hr wait. I'll definitely try Morgan's out. Thanks for the recco.

Sometimes Coral Theory lock their doors. Were the lights on? Few months back I went there and the door was locked but the lights were on so I called and someone came and open the door. They haven't been doing as great as before. Think they're going through a major renovation.

Oh man I will never make it to TOTM. I change tanks like I change underwear. Always restarting, haha. Bad habit. But I'm trying to stick to this one and have everything grow out. We'll see. Now I'm itching for one of 'em new RedSea Reefer Tanks. *Drool. :)

Hey Jay

how did you cycle your rock before putting in your livestock thanks?

Did you cook your rocks?

The dry rocks I bought from ReefCleaners are clean and does not require cycle/cure. I seeded my tank with older coraline algae covered live rocks I had from my old tank and my fuge is full of live rocks.

• 2 weeks later...

did you clean them yourself or were they already clean?

The dry rocks I bought from ReefCleaners are clean and does not require cycle/cure. I seeded my tank with older coraline algae covered live rocks I had from my old tank and my fuge is full of live rocks.

Hey Jay, how do you get your RO/DI water? Buy it or make it? If you buy it, from where? The past week I realized this is now my biggest logistical hurdle. I'm already at my budget limit and I haven't factored in a home RO/DI unit, I was planning on buying water somewhere between 50 and 75 cents a gallon. But to do that in NYC it seems like Im going to have to rent a zip car every 3 months or so and buy a large amount. In 2 years, I'd spend as much as I would for my own ro/di unit.

did you clean them yourself or were they already clean?

OH I just gave it a rinse in RO/DI water.

Hey Jay, how do you get your RO/DI water? Buy it or make it? If you buy it, from where? The past week I realized this is now my biggest logistical hurdle. I'm already at my budget limit and I haven't factored in a home RO/DI unit, I was planning on buying water somewhere between 50 and 75 cents a gallon. But to do that in NYC it seems like Im going to have to rent a zip car every 3 months or so and buy a large amount. In 2 years, I'd spend as much as I would for my own ro/di unit.

Hey man, Get a RO/DI unit. I used to buy it from LFS like Coral Theory. I would haul four 5 gallon buckets and it was such a hassle. My back would hurt so much. Everything adds up with gas money too. In your case Zip car money. Get the 4 stage from BRS. Real simple. I store it under my sink. When I need it I just pull out the hose and connect to my bath tub faucet and done. I never have to take it out from under the sink cabinet. Nicely stored away.

Currently I get my RO/DI from my BF who lives 2 blocks away from me. I have to make sure I bring my car over (cause a lot of the time I just walk) and even just the one 5gal jug a week is a pain to tote down his stairs to my car. Then I have to hope I get a close spot and carry it in.

Once I get tank #2 up and running, I'll need about 10gal/week for water changes and maybe a little more for top offs. Even though he's just 2 blocks away, I plan on getting a RO/DI to make life easier. They aren't that big and I plan to store mine under the sink as well.

Renting a zipcar and lugging multiple jugs of water around does NOT sound like fun. Plus, then you gotta store multiple full jugs/buckets instead of just storing a couple in between water changes. Not only is it the cost of the water and care rental, but there'll be more of your time involved too.

OH I just gave it a rinse in RO/DI water.

Hey man, Get a RO/DI unit. I used to buy it from LFS like Coral Theory. I would haul four 5 gallon buckets and it was such a hassle. My back would hurt so much. Everything adds up with gas money too. In your case Zip car money. Get the 4 stage from BRS. Real simple. I store it under my sink. When I need it I just pull out the hose and connect to my bath tub faucet and done. I never have to take it out from under the sink cabinet. Nicely stored away.

Just did the math between getting the BRS 4 stage Value Plus vs Buying RO/DI (x4/year) + zipcar (x4/year) + containers to transport. It would only take 18 months of buying/transporting to match the BRS price, so definitely worth it in the long run financially, not to mention how much less time and work it takes to just make your own. Perhaps I'll buy my initial water to get started then get the RO/DI unit for the long term.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

How are things? :)

Jay where you be at!

Been super busy traveling for work. Its been crazy. Trying not to neglect the tank too much and I've been trying to keep up with water changes every time I'm back. But I'm leaving for Asia in June for a month. I might have to take this tank down and host my corals at a friends shop. :(. And we're expecting a baby girl soon. :) Looks like I have to put this hobby on a hold. Or downsize to like a 10g fusion AIO so my wife can help me take care of it when I'm out.

Archived