Top Shelf Aquatics

Jay's 32g Scuba Reef

Jay Wee

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ya , we booked our national meeting - 80 people flying in for a 2 day conference - might have to reschedule - our travel agent will really love us. Boston in January - who knew we're having a meeting on it tomorrow morning. Still thinking the airlines will be a mess by Thursday

I have a feeling it'll be a mess. They say flights might resume Wednesday but who knows.

Polarcollision

I never really paid attention to my apartment from the exterior but this evening I was walking my dogs and happened to be drawn toward a super bright blue light. Thanks Kessil. Now the whole neighborhood knows I have a reef tank. :lol:

16276764005_7272f6d198_z.jpg

In WA I assume that everyone else walking their dogs at night thinks we grow pot

I guess my minimax is a little wonky then. How did phosguard work out for you? You running it in that sweet 66g?

I am actually just trying out BRS High Capacity GFO right now, got it on sale around a month ago. Phosgaurd is a little pricey by weight so I figured on a larger tank I am going to burn a hole in the wallet pretty quick. The BRS stuff is working out good so far, no complaints.

BTW I had the pump on my Minimax crap out twice so keep an eye on it. I think the pumps are a little fragile, make sure you check them regularly, don't let any sand or anything get in them, and don't dose in the same chamber. I am not sure what happened to mine but it really hurt the tank when it went out. I had to call IM to get a replacement pump for like 30 bucks, and the week or so without it really hurt the SPS. I gave up on it the 2nd time it broke. I haven't heard many complaints about them though, maybe I just had bad luck.

Looking good.

24x17x17 and a mame looks pretty familiar :)

:) Ha that's the way to roll! Hey how you liking the 2 mp10 on your tank? Do you think you could have just rolled with one? I'm using one RW-4 and i'm only on 40% and I find it sufficient. But I'm also wondering if I should add another wavemaker. Or I might consider the new nano gyre 130. That might cause a sandstorm though.

I am actually just trying out BRS High Capacity GFO right now, got it on sale around a month ago. Phosgaurd is a little pricey by weight so I figured on a larger tank I am going to burn a hole in the wallet pretty quick. The BRS stuff is working out good so far, no complaints.

BTW I had the pump on my Minimax crap out twice so keep an eye on it. I think the pumps are a little fragile, make sure you check them regularly, don't let any sand or anything get in them, and don't dose in the same chamber. I am not sure what happened to mine but it really hurt the tank when it went out. I had to call IM to get a replacement pump for like 30 bucks, and the week or so without it really hurt the SPS. I gave up on it the 2nd time it broke. I haven't heard many complaints about them though, maybe I just had bad luck.

I actually had the pump crap out on me once already. Had to dismantle everything and gave it a good clean and got a friend to fix it for me. It might be craping out again. That puny little chinese made thing is not worth $30. I might find another brand of pump. I wonder if Eheim makes small nano size ones like that.

I wanna say Eheim makes a pump that's like 80-100 gph which would be fine. And it's only $20 or something like that. BRS has them for pretty cheap.

Man we need some more pics ;)

Oh man I was getting this for the pass 2 hrs when I was trying to get into nano-reef.com. But its fine now.

16388700961_3d7e385f48_z.jpg

I wanna say Eheim makes a pump that's like 80-100 gph which would be fine. And it's only $20 or something like that. BRS has them for pretty cheap.

Man we need some more pics ;)

Thanks for the tip!

Ha I just re-scaped a little. Will get some new FTS up soon.

I got that shit last night,probably 1-2 hours. I use chrome on my laptop and switched to Internet Explorer and it wasn't doing it. Idk what was up. Kinda scared me lol. I almost made a thread about it. I'm happy to see im not the only one.

Actually, there has been a thread regarding the security warning going around today. The consensus is it is an ad on here that was causing the issue. Looks like it has been resolved now.

Actually, there has been a thread regarding the security warning going around today. The consensus is it is an ad on here that was causing the issue. Looks like it has been resolved now.

Cool! Thanks for the update.

lilmatty5dimes

Love your aqua scape and tank is epic. Following along with the other southerns.

What's that white stuff on the ground? Lol. Y'all be safe up north.

Love your aqua scape and tank is epic. Following along with the other southerns.

What's that white stuff on the ground? Lol. Y'all be safe up north.

Thanks man!!! Appreciate your kind words. I re-scaped a little. So I hope it's still good. haha. Will update with new image. The white stuff on the ground has turned nasty and dirty now. :angry:

Jay, I DEMAND MORE PICTURES! hahah hope the tank is doing well brother!

Haha thanks bud. Tank is doing great. Been busy with making some changes to the scape. I had to. I got too much corals and I needed more rocks to mount them on. So there goes all that negative space on the left. And I also sold my wide angle lens and a bunch of other lens and only have a 100mm now. I gotta borrow my friends lens to take new pictures.

Haha thanks bud. Tank is doing great. Been busy with making some changes to the scape. I had to. I got too much corals and I needed more rocks to mount them on. So there goes all that negative space on the left. And I also sold my wide angle lens and a bunch of other lens and only have a 100mm now. I gotta borrow my friends lens to take new pictures.

Im sure you'll make the best out of the new scape. Plus lets be honest, everyone loves to rescape hahah. 100mm is still great though! ive been using my brothers 100mm for most of my new pictures. How are you liking the mame? is it hard to clean and hows the coral growth on the kessil?

Jay, your tank is exceptionally inspirational! I'm in the middle of heavy research and planning for my very first SW tank, and I love how your setup is so beautifully clean, elegant, and quirky . Since this is a learning tank for me, I won't be putting that much $ and customization into it, but when I move onto my next tank, you've definitely inspired me to think outside the box a bit. I'm continually amazed by how many different approaches there are to this hobby, how many different ways people can set up and maintain their tanks. The rocks breaching the water surface are sick!

Also your building looks like its somewhere in my neighborhood of east williamsburg, so many recently built housing buildings in this area have that look. Anyhow, do you go to any local reef aquarium stores in the city? Any spots I should steer clear of?

Jay, stop making the rest of our tanks look like crap in comparison!! :happy: Keep up the good work man and as ImNew said, keep them pics rolling in.

Im sure you'll make the best out of the new scape. Plus lets be honest, everyone loves to rescape hahah. 100mm is still great though! ive been using my brothers 100mm for most of my new pictures. How are you liking the mame? is it hard to clean and hows the coral growth on the kessil?

Ha I can't stand back quite far enough to take a fts with the 100mm. It's great for macro that's for sure. MAME is great. It works superb and very silent. I hear my already super silent RW-4 over the MAME. Only thing is cleaning the MAME is a lot of work. There's parts I can't get to and it's driving me nuts. Haha.

The kessils are working amazing! It works awesome paired with the bluefish controller. U can't go wrong with that combination. So it's been a little over a month since I've set up this tank and using the Kessil. I must say my zoas are popping out an average of 2 - 3 polyps a month. My Rastas, Armor of God and Pure Nightmares actually more than doubled from 3p frags to now 10p frags almost covering the whole frag plug. SPS are growing great too. I'm noticing more extensions than before and definitely seeing growth. All my birdsnest are growing significantly faster. And my wall hammer, branching hammer and all my acans just growing like crazy. Only thing that isn't growing in my tank are Favias. Real slow those things. I've never had luck with them. I will start monthly photo comparison on growth so I can keep track and also share with everyone.

Jay, your tank is exceptionally inspirational! I'm in the middle of heavy research and planning for my very first SW tank, and I love how your setup is so beautifully clean, elegant, and quirky . Since this is a learning tank for me, I won't be putting that much $ and customization into it, but when I move onto my next tank, you've definitely inspired me to think outside the box a bit. I'm continually amazed by how many different approaches there are to this hobby, how many different ways people can set up and maintain their tanks. The rocks breaching the water surface are sick!

Also your building looks like its somewhere in my neighborhood of east williamsburg, so many recently built housing buildings in this area have that look. Anyhow, do you go to any local reef aquarium stores in the city? Any spots I should steer clear of?

Omg thanks so much for the kind words!! Ok u get free chaeto and Zoas when I have excess since u live in Brooklyn. Haha! I'm in prospect Heights. Very near the Barclays Stadium. Dude all the newly built condos are probably all done by the same developers using the same construction company's that source for the same materials. As for reef stores there's only a couple I go to like Pop Coral, Manhattan aquarium and coral theory. I buy most of my stuff online.

But seriously my tank is nothing compared to a lot of the veteran reefers here. Check out all the TOTM profiles and get ready for a drool session. Let me know if u every need help. Nice to see a fellow Brooklyn Reefer here. :)

Jay, stop making the rest of our tanks look like crap in comparison!! :happy: Keep up the good work man and as ImNew said, keep them pics rolling in.

Thanks for the compliment :)! C'mon u got a nice looking fusion 10 there. I actually like the build of the new fusion. How's it working out for u? I'm thinking of getting one for a high end Zoa only tank.

Thanks for the compliment :)! C'mon u got a nice looking fusion 10 there. I actually like the build of the new fusion. How's it working out for u? I'm thinking of getting one for a high end Zoa only tank.

So far so good JayWee, just waiting for the cycle to end and then I will begin tossing things in that are a lot more alive than some "live rock". ;) The tank itself is awesome, very quiet overflow, good parts used and assembled very well. I stuck it in my bedroom and it lulls me to sleep at night with its humming and occasional quiet water gurgle. I think it would be a good pick for a Zoa tank, thats one of the first corals I will be tossing into mine so keep a look out and see what you think in a week or two. B)

So far so good JayWee, just waiting for the cycle to end and then I will begin tossing things in that are a lot more alive than some "live rock". ;) The tank itself is awesome, very quiet overflow, good parts used and assembled very well. I stuck it in my bedroom and it lulls me to sleep at night with its humming and occasional quiet water gurgle. I think it would be a good pick for a Zoa tank, thats one of the first corals I will be tossing into mine so keep a look out and see what you think in a week or two. B)

I might just get the fusion 10. I've been wanting a small nano AIO pure zoa tank.

this tank is awesome!

Thank you!!! Love the colors on your 40. That frogspawn is ridiculous. :blink:

Thank you!!! Love the colors on your 40. That frogspawn is ridiculous. :blink:

thanks, my tank has a long way to go on coral color. that frog started as one little head, I think I'm around 25-27 heads right now but it's hard to count them, I just wish my torch would grow that fast.

Archived