Cultivated Reef

TeenyReef's 10g Fusion - ATO Disaster

teenyreef

13 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Yes, they are excellent beginner sps because they're pretty much indestructible!

I think all caps are that way........ I have not been able to kill any of mine..........try to get rid of them but they always grow back :smilie:

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, DaveFason said:

Congrats on the write up. I am always a proud vendor when I see your tanks. 

-D

Thanks, Dave!

2 hours ago, dvs1986 said:

congrats on the write up. tank looks amazing as ever!

Thank you!

• Like 1

This tank was always a model of what i wanted for my tank since day one....thanks for all the advice and what a really nice article!!! Congrats!!

• Like 1

Thanks everyone! I feel like my tank really isn't in the same league as some of the absolutely amazing tanks featured in the magazine, but its really cool and a little humbling to see how much influence this little tank has had in our community.  :blush:

• Like 6
  • 1 month later...

I'm not dead, but I have been super busy with work all summer, and I just have been too lazy too keep up with updates - sorry!

The tank has done OK with the lack of regular maintenance. But I did have an alk spike that caused some damage to the monticaps. And I've had some cyano and algae that's been getting steadily worse. 

The monticaps have stabilized, but in this top down, you can see the green monticap is just starting to regain some color. And there's a big wedge of the red monticap that died completely. Honestly it doesn't bother me too much, I think it gives me a good excuse to put in some other frags from one of the other tanks.

2018-09-08 IM10 Top Down:

2018-09-08 IM10 Top Down

To combat the algae and cyano, I've dosed flucozinole just to make sure I don't have any bryopsis that snuck in on a frag from the 40g, and I've discontinued NoPox dosing to get things back in balance. I'm ok with nitrates going up in the short term if it helps get things back on track in the long run.

In other news, I got a few new frags. There's a pretty yellow goniopora in the front left corner, and an un-named cyphastrea right next to it. I also picked up some new florida ricordea for the ric garden yesterday. I used some fishing line to tie them to the rock:

20180908-untitled-003.jpg

Here's what the whole garden looks like out of the water, using the flash on the camera:

20180908-untitled-004.jpg

And here it is in the water, about thirty minutes after putting it back in. The ones on the right are the new ones:

Ric Garden

I'll work on getting a new fts once the cyano clears up. I'm really thinking about changing things up. I'd like to put some new frags in on the rocks, and maybe just remove some of the ones I don't like. I've had this tank forever, and I'm starting to feel like I should stop worrying about keeping everything that's in there now doing well, and just try some new stuff. Hopefully I'll have some changes to show later this month!

• Like 6

Despite the mont-pocalypse (okay, that was stretch) the tank is looking pretty nice. I'm jealous that you can get riccordea to adhere where you want them. Mine have always just ended saying, "eff it" and tumbling around the tank attempt to root out and kill each and every high end frag they can roll into (they really do have exquisite tastes). Despite this being, unequivocally, one of my favorite tanks (of any size or type) of all time, I fully support you changing it up. Not only would it be fun to follow along to observe the process, but if R. Kelly's Ignition (remix) has taught humanity anything about "mixin' it up" it's that it's probably for the best. I mean, it has been over a decade and despite R. Kelly's legal woes  (including, but not limited to, the fact that he was accused of leading a creepy sex cult), I can't lie, that R&B joint is still "hot and fresh out the kitchen" (go ahead, listen to it, tell me I'm wrong, I'll wait). Anyways, I support it (the tank stuff... not R. Kelly), I'm not sure if there is another nano tank level to get to, but if there is, I think this thing can get there, and I want to see it. Do it, give us all the middle finger and plant a Homewrecker frag right up top, front and center. Make the best tank out there... better-ist (or something...), America and the rest of the free world is behind you!

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

One thing I should have posted about when I too busy to post...we had a lightning strike that took out a neighbor's tree, which cause our power to go out for a minute. Afterwards, nothing seemed to be damaged except...the Apex Lite controller :rant:

It was a valuable lesson in tank automation pitfalls. Outlets that were set to default to "off" stayed off, of course. And the ones defaulted to "on" stayed on, as designed. But that wasn't always the right thing with the controller out of commission. For example, I found my built-in heater thermostat set point was too high, and the tank went up to about 83 degrees. Which I didn't realize until I went and got an old-fashioned thermometer out of the great big box of aquarium stuff in the garage.

I found a used full-up Apex controller (just the controller) for $200 on Ebay, and it showed up a few days later. Everything did fine in the meanwhile, but the worst part was I didn't realize the Apex Lite was broken until about thirty minutes before I had to leave for a trip. So I spent a frantic hour trying to figure out what was wrong with the controller and then firguring out how to get everything set to run properly while I was gone.

The other lesson learned for me was that I had to completely reprogram the new Apex, of course, and I didn't have anything written down. And there was a lot of stuff, because this unit controls both this tank and the IM40. There are a total of 16 outlets, a Vortech controller with four pumps, multiple probes, etc., etc..

Fortunately, it turns out you can access everything through the Apex Fusion web pages even when the controller is offline. Still, it took two or three hours before I had everything set up and running smoothly again.

• Wow 2
skyscraper2290

O man that ric garden is awesome! How long do you leave the fishing line on for? Glad to hear that even with the tank scare you got everything running smoothly again!

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, skyscraper2290 said:

O man that ric garden is awesome! How long do you leave the fishing line on for? Glad to hear that even with the tank scare you got everything running smoothly again!

I leave the line on for at least two or three weeks. Or longer. When I tied on the new rics, I found out I never did remove the line from one of the old ones. I never noticed it and neither did the ric 🙂