Cultivated Reef

HVani's 34g CADlights Mini-II-Let It Grow

HVani

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everything seems to be doing well.

My clam was not attaching and wasn't opening all the way. She was a little pinched so I did a freshwater dip to be safe.

The pinching is gone but she still isn't opening all the way. I thought maybe it was too much light so I went to move her but she's put her foot down. I'm guessing she's still adapting. She still opens, no gaping and reacts to movement.

Everything else seems to be doing well. The sexy shrimp seem to have paired off. The female and bigger male are always together while the smaller male is off on his own. Poor guy. Do you think getting some more would help?

I fed everything last night and the coral and inverts seem happy. I think I need to stop feeding m,y brain though, he's getting huge!

Fingers crossed for your clam! fingerscrossed

My sexy shrimp always seem to do their own thing in my 4g tank, but they always hang out together in my 10g tank. I gues I need to pay more attention to what the male/female mix is. Maybe I have three bachelors in the 4g tank :)

Well the sexies were caught eating my Hawaiian palys and the polyps off of my birdsnest and rainbow monti. 2 were moved to the 8 gallon where they can eat whatever they want. I'm still trying to catch the third. I have the worst luck.

Yesterday was a water change day. I had gotten a little behind but things seem to be doing well. While moving some stuff around the underside of my wrist brushed against my torch. It wasn't terrible pain but I felt it. It continued to burn for hours and is still tender to the touch today. It's amazing what these corals are capable of :)

After the water change I did some test:

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate <10

Ph: 8.2

CA:400

Kh:13.2

MY Kh continues to be high with my Reef Crystals. I still haven't decided on salt. I'm leaning towards getting some Instant Ocean and just dosing to get things where I want. I like the Red Sea stuff but it also seems to have high Kh.

Well the sexies were caught eating my Hawaiian palys and the polyps off of my birdsnest and rainbow monti. 2 were moved to the 8 gallon where they can eat whatever they want. I'm still trying to catch the third. I have the worst luck.

MY Kh continues to be high with my Reef Crystals. I still haven't decided on salt. I'm leaning towards getting some Instant Ocean and just dosing to get things where I want. I like the Red Sea stuff but it also seems to have high Kh.

The price you pay for sexiness sometimes...

Also, I use "Oceanic 81020 Natural Sea Salt Mix". There are a lot of mixed reviews out there but has been great in my tank. Not sure about Kh levels as I've never tested. Just another option perhaps.

Stunning new tank! I REALLY love that octopus decal on the stand. The new scape is also amazing.

How is the gumdrop coral croucher doing? I missed updates on him when I was skimming through your thread. Such a cool, unique fish! Oh, and I love all the awesome mushrooms you have in this tank.

How is the clam doing? I hope its settled in and doing well now.

Stunning new tank! I REALLY love that octopus decal on the stand. The new scape is also amazing.

How is the gumdrop coral croucher doing? I missed updates on him when I was skimming through your thread. Such a cool, unique fish! Oh, and I love all the awesome mushrooms you have in this tank.

How is the clam doing? I hope its settled in and doing well now.

Thanks!

I sadly lost the gumdrop when I lost all my fish to velvet. The more reading I did I found out that gumdrops don't have a great track record beyond a couple months. Sad.

Also the clam is not doing well. I think it has pinched mantel. I can't get it off the rock to do a freshwater dip. I'm most likely going to loss it :(

oh no! it already attached to the rock? no way to slowly remove it??

I was able to get her off the rock today for a freshwater dip. Hopefully that helps. Her foot is actually in really good shape and she is still responsive.

I was able to get her off the rock today for a freshwater dip. Hopefully that helps. Her foot is actually in really good shape and she is still responsive.

Glad to hear you were able to do a freshwater dip. I hope it recovers fully for you!

Sorry to hear about the gumdrop coral croucher :( Cool fish, but I figured they might be hard to keep in aquariums.

She seemed a little better last night. We shall see today. I freaked out when I saw some nassasarius snails over by her, but it turns out the were just after some pellets that had gotten stuck in the corner.

• 2 weeks later...

While browsing Etsy I found this pendant that made me think of your tank. :)

il_570xN.700209549_3nd8.jpg

Oh that's cool!

Ok Tank updated, well I've been gone for almost 10 days. Just got home yesterday from a lovely vacation in St Lucia. It was AMAZING but it's good to be home.

While I was gone the tank temps got pretty low. I was really worried but there was nothing I could do. When I got home I saw that my clam had died while I was gone. I don't know if it was the temperature or the chocolate chip star that somehow got away from my harlequin shrimp.

Otherwise some stuff was knocked over but everything looks great! The temp is back up and looking good. I went to Milwaukee to pick up a 93 gallon cube (future freshwater tank). WHile I was there I picked up a cheap black and white maxima clam and a pair of clowns :) I got a picasso and what I thought was a platinum but I think is actually a wyoming white.

Some terrible pictures. I will try and get better ones this weekend.

whiteclown_zps3eec3418.jpg

pairclown_zps56c419e3.jpg

Full Tank

Febfulltank_zpsb31638b9.jpg

More clown pictures :) The picasso has been hanging out by the torch coral all day. I also have to mention what a good deal I got on this little guy. He was marked as a semi picasso for $25! With a full helmet and everything. The little Wyoming white is such a ham. Lots of personality in such a tiny fish.

plat1_zps3dd10111.jpg

picasso4_zps177b2a62.jpg

picasso3_zps1db2f5db.jpg

picasso2_zps5d574d61.jpg

picasso1_zps1548f5d1.jpg

Last;y my husband felt bad my clam died while we were out of town and he bought me a new one. It's a little black and white ORA maxima. Just cute as it can be

tinyclam_zps31fa892f.jpg

Awww, your little clowns are so cute :) And I love the new clam :wub:

What happened with the temperature when you were gone? Heater problem?

Thanks!!

Well we set our house temperature pretty low while we were gone and the heater could not keep up. It hung around 73 for pretty much the whole 10 days. Not terrible but a it low.

Thanks!!

Well we set our house temperature pretty low while we were gone and the heater could not keep up. It hung around 73 for pretty much the whole 10 days. Not terrible but a it low.

Wow, it must have been really cold in your house! I'm surprised a 100w heater couldn't keep up in a 34g tank, but I guess it's right on the edge.

Wow, it must have been really cold in your house! I'm surprised a 100w heater couldn't keep up in a 34g tank, but I guess it's right on the edge.

I know right? The house was set at 55 but it got very cold while we were gone (-11). Usually it stays pretty warm in that room. It has 3 fish tanks and 4 reptile tanks, but I guess it was just too cold.

Ok an update. My little clam died. No idea why. It was fine, looking good when I went to bed, the next morning it was dead. I had no warning. No more clams for me.

Last week I bought a firefish because I had wanted one. I saw him the first day then never again. Money wasted. Then I picked up a rose/red strip/high fin red banded shrimp goby. He acclimated fine and is eating like a champ.

Last night I checked on the tank and BAM, there's my firefish. I looked everywhere for him for a week and saw no sign. I have no idea where he's been hiding but he looks good.

That's the last of the fish for this tank for a while (famous last words). I'm really happy with the mix. I need to get pictures.

The picasso clown had me worried at first. He wasn't eating very much for the first few days. He seems to be doing a lot better. They both are just so tiny. Also they have started living in the torch coral which is awesome. It's a happy little tank right now :)

I know right? The house was set at 55 but it got very cold while we were gone (-11). Usually it stays pretty warm in that room. It has 3 fish tanks and 4 reptile tanks, but I guess it was just too cold.

Ok an update. My little clam died. No idea why. It was fine, looking good when I went to bed, the next morning it was dead. I had no warning. No more clams for me.

Last week I bought a firefish because I had wanted one. I saw him the first day then never again. Money wasted. Then I picked up a rose/red strip/high fin red banded shrimp goby. He acclimated fine and is eating like a champ.

Last night I checked on the tank and BAM, there's my firefish. I looked everywhere for him for a week and saw no sign. I have no idea where he's been hiding but he looks good.

That's the last of the fish for this tank for a while (famous last words). I'm really happy with the mix. I need to get pictures.

The picasso clown had me worried at first. He wasn't eating very much for the first few days. He seems to be doing a lot better. They both are just so tiny. Also they have started living in the torch coral which is awesome. It's a happy little tank right now :)

Sorry to hear about the clam, kimber. That is great news about the firefish, though. And that is so cool that your torch is hosting your clowns. I have been hoping for soooo long that mine would do the same, but so far that is a no-go...

...Oh and I second the need for pics.

Archived