Innovative Marine Aquariums

TeenyReef's 4g PicoParadise

teenyreef

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love the new additions, and yay on finding the other pom pom. As for Cyclopeeze alternatives, what about "regular" Cyclops from SF Bay or H2O Life?

I so want some sexy shrimp but I worry they will eat my coral. I also don't know if my peppermint shrimp would play nice with them

my are the oldest members in the tank just about.

have had them for almost a year. they haven't eaten

anything that i can tell--but they will pick on dying

coral tissue.

no, you can't have them anyway. they are too small

to be compatible with your pepperment shrimp, alas.

sexies are the LEAST aggressive shrimps i know.

love all the new additions!

Thanks!

yay....so cute!!!!!

Yep, I think this is one of my favorite pico fish. Almost every other pico fish either is too shy, needs too many pods, eats SPS, etc.. This guy doesn't bother anybody else, gets along with other fish, leaves the corals alone, eats pretty much anything, and hangs out in the front of the tank.

Not that I'm biased or anything :)

New fish is awesome! Do they get along with other gobies? such as the hi-fin??

Yes, they don't really care much about other fish, they just do their own thing.

Lots going on in your tank nice new additions

Thanks!

I so want some sexy shrimp but I worry they will eat my coral. I also don't know if my peppermint shrimp would play nice with them

I've never had a problem but I do know other people have complained about it. Mine do sometime trample the zoas looking for leftover in between the polyps, but once I got my duncans, the sexys just hang out near the duncans most of the time.

Love the new additions, and yay on finding the other pom pom. As for Cyclopeeze alternatives, what about "regular" Cyclops from SF Bay or H2O Life?

Thanks for the idea! I got some cyclops from "elive" at the LFS. They're a little smaller than Cyclopeeze and a lot harder to target feed. Lots of extra juice, unlike Cyclopeeze, which pretty much was just pure shrimp :)

my are the oldest members in the tank just about.

have had them for almost a year. they haven't eaten

anything that i can tell--but they will pick on dying

coral tissue.

no, you can't have them anyway. they are too small

to be compatible with your pepperment shrimp, alas.

sexies are the LEAST aggressive shrimps i know.

Yeah, I like them in small tanks but it would be bad news to try to keep them with larger shrimp.

Yep :)

My fish eat this...

http://www.omegasea.net/products/nutrition/frozen-cyclops

you should be able to find it at your LFS, or definitely online. It's pretty much like cyclopeeze only white and not red.

Thanks, Gena! I'll check at some of the other LFS's in the area.

It's been a while since I posted an FTS. This one is more just to record the state of the tank as it is right now. It's not looking it's best as most of the corals are a little bit receded and the zoas in the middle are still recovering from almost melting.

I glued the cyphastrea (on the sand up front, next to the red acans) on a little piece of fiberglass window screen to try to help him stay in place when the snails come rumbling through. It's working great but I glued the screen with the curl facing up, so it's sticking up out of the sand. I need to reglue it but I ran out of superglue :(

I'm also not really happy with the white balance on this one - it's kind of pink. Oh well, enough excuses...here it is:

https://flic.kr/p/pQTjSD'>15649411673_ce4509109a_b.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/pQTjSD'>4g PicoParadise FTS 2015-01-13 by https://www.flickr.com/people/15628054@N06/'>TeenyReef, on Flickr

And the sexys are totes fine walking on the RFA's right?
yes my sexies love the flower nems! one or both always near or on them. nem isn'tbothered and if he is, he closes up once in awhile.

teeny i think the tanklooks great! envious of your gbgtoo! with naked worm nursing and deadline,i think only window shopping for me on fishies.

Well, I have bad news and good news on the Green Banded Goby. The bad news is he hasn't made an appearance since the first 24 hours I had him, and even when I drained almost all the water tonight there was no sign of him :( Everything else in the tank is doing great including the new sexy shrimp and the new pom pom crab, so I think it was just bad luck and the stress of shipping that must have done him in.

The good news is...

The guy on Ebay that sells 5-packs of GBGs for $14.99 had more in stock omgomgomg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-GREEN-BANDED-GOBIES-live-saltwater-fish-pack-/281557634430?pt=Live_Fish&hash=item418e248d7e

So I plan to keep two in this tank and three in the 10g tank, assuming they all survive :) I know both Gena and Jedimasterben had good luck with this particular seller so I've got my fingers crossed for better luck with these guys. I mean, at least one of out of five should survive so I can have my GBG in this tank again. I refuse to accept defeat!!! :naughtydance:

I am becoming a fan of acans after looking at your tank for awhile

I love them! Not only do they color up nicely but they are so much fun to feed. Slurp!!!

It looks like the blue ones are eating the pink :lol:

Yeah, I thought it looked really funny. They don't bother each other at all, they just grow together like they're all from the same colony.

yes my sexies love the flower nems! one or both always near or on them. nem isn't bothered and if he is, he closes up once in awhile.

teeny i think the tank looks great! envious of your gbg too! with naked worm nursing and deadline, i think only window shopping for me on fishies.

Thanks!

I think sexies are kind of like clown fish - they like to have some kind of softies to host. Mine hang around the duncans, and in my 10g tank they started hanging around the hammer as soon as I put them in. I wonder if folks that have reported sexies eating zoas didn't have anything in the tank that they'd rather hang out on?

It's weird that fish can be so difficult. You'd think they'd be easier than corals with all their strict water parameter requirements, but I've always had more trouble with fish than corals.

Good luck with your worm! Still sending good thoughts his way :grouphug:

Well, I have bad news and good news on the Green Banded Goby. The bad news is he hasn't made an appearance since the first 24 hours I had him, and even when I drained almost all the water tonight there was no sign of him :( Everything else in the tank is doing great including the new sexy shrimp and the new pom pom crab, so I think it was just bad luck and the stress of shipping that must have done him in.

The good news is...

The guy on Ebay that sells 5-packs of GBGs for $14.99 had more in stock omgomgomg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-GREEN-BANDED-GOBIES-live-saltwater-fish-pack-/281557634430?pt=Live_Fish&hash=item418e248d7e

So I plan to keep two in this tank and three in the 10g tank, assuming they all survive :) I know both Gena and Jedimasterben had good luck with this particular seller so I've got my fingers crossed for better luck with these guys. I mean, at least one of out of five should survive so I can have my GBG in this tank again. I refuse to accept defeat!!! :naughtydance:

He's a great seller with very healthy specimens :). You won't be sorry! Here's the feedback I left him...

"My Highest rating. Buy with confidence. Professional service." :D

Moar gobies! Sucks about the GBG though. It's really weird how some just seem to croak right off the bat where "difficult" corals seem bomb proof. :wacko:

I bet he will pop out again and ask you why you wrote him off so fast, he was on an Adventure to Mordor, dangit! B)

I agree! But the only way that will happen is if I add more fish. Otherwise he's a goner for sure :)

He's a great seller with very healthy specimens :). You won't be sorry! Here's the feedback I left him...

"My Highest rating. Buy with confidence. Professional service." :D

They should be here on Saturday. I'm really looking forward to seeing them. Truth is I've been really in love with the idea of five GBGs ever since you got yours :ninja:

Moar gobies! Sucks about the GBG though. It's really weird how some just seem to croak right off the bat where "difficult" corals seem bomb proof. :wacko:

Yep, this was my third GBG. The first one died after three days. The second one did fine for about six months and only died because he jumped out of the tank. And now this guy is MIA after the first 24 hours.

I really think buying small fish from internet suppliers is a crap shoot. It just really depends on how robust the fish is when it gets shipped.

One of my favorite tanks on NR. It looks like a 18" cube with the FTS.

-Dave

Thanks, Dave! :blush:

Love those colorful acans. I only got one with orange and white but it's doing well.

Thanks! For whatever reason, they do well in both my tanks. I can't wait for the ones I got in the other tank to grow out so I can start sharing the different colors between the two tanks :)

I got the new macro lens today!!! It's a Tamron 90mm, $250 used on Ebay. The seller did a nice job of taking care of it. He had all the original materials and it basically appears to be brand new. It's going to take a lot of practice to learn how to use it properly, but here are a few shots I took tonight:

This is the "Green Birdsnest" I got as a tiny frag at an LFS. I'm pretty sure it's actually a Stylophora. I don't go to that LFS much any more :)

16103483280_8c26f0f4e3_b.jpgStylophora by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Tubipora (Pipe Organ Coral). I really like this guy - he provides a nice contrast to the other corals in both color and texture.

16103301188_46617dd02a_b.jpgPipe Organ Coral by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Green favia. Poor guy got turned upside down while I was on vacation and about half of him receded. He's making a nice comeback now :)

16290002992_3d8e53b9f8_b.jpgGreen Favia by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Candy Apple and Radioactive Dragon Eye zoas. Still waiting for my other zoas to cover their rocks like these guys have.

16103482920_47151dbfca_b.jpgZoas by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Archived