Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

TeenyReef's 4g PicoParadise

teenyreef

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks everyone! I'm starting a five day trip at Disney now so no more pics for a while. The tank / dog sitter has dosing and feeding duties...eek!

I'm really starting to love acans! They are like beautiful rainbow-y colorful little pillows!!

seriously, so fluffy looking.

Thanks everyone! I'm starting a five day trip at Disney now so no more pics for a while. The tank / dog sitter has dosing and feeding duties...eek!

thats awesome hope you have a blast!

have fun!!

I just got an email from Live Aquaria to let me know that they have Green Banded Gobies back in stock, so I finally got to order a new one :happydance:

I also ordered a second pom pom crab. Hopefully this guy will come with pom poms and he can share with the one I have already. The original one came without pom poms, and Live Aquaria gave me a credit.

Finally, I ordered a few more sexy shrimp. One or two will go in this tank to keep my lonely one company, and the rest will go in the 10g tank.

Can't wait to get home tomorrow and see how the tanks are doing under the limited care of the tank sitter :scarry:

I just got an email from Live Aquaria to let me know that they have Green Banded Gobies back in stock, so I finally got to order a new one :happydance:

I also ordered a second pom pom crab. Hopefully this guy will come with pom poms and he can share with the one I have already. The original one came without pom poms, and Live Aquaria gave me a credit.

Finally, I ordered a few more sexy shrimp. One or two will go in this tank to keep my lonely one company, and the rest will go in the 10g tank.

Can't wait to get home tomorrow and see how the tanks are doing under the limited care of the tank sitter :scarry:

I did the same thing...called and complained when the crab came with no poms! They credited me. I still have that crab too :). Awesome...can't wait to see you with another GBG.

Are you home?????

We got back from vacation late last night, and spent the day today recovering from our Disney hangovers :wacko:

In spite of daily dosing by the Tank Sitter, Alk was down to 5.6 when I got back. I tried to be conservative in the dosing because she was only dosing once a day and I didn't want the alk to swing around too much. Some of the zoas melted, and the green favia got overturned by a snail. He's only half there, now, with the other half receded to the bone. Other than that, though, everything seems to be doing OK.

I suspect part of the reason for the zoas melting is that I had to use the old Par 30 bulb since I was having trouble with the fan on the Nanobox, and it was probably too bright. I got a new fan from Dave while I was on vacation, so I tried to replace it today. When I did, I found that all the screws on the old fan has loosened up. I snugged them back up and put it back together, and it's been working fine all day. Fingers crossed that it will last, but if not I have the new fan ready to put in.

I'll post some pics later once I get caught up :)

so sorry about the melty zoas. :(

and wow, you dose your 4g? you do frequent

water changes too, right? everyone seemed to think

with what i keep, not worth dosing with frequen water

changes. hope the fan keeps working for you!

My alkalinity drops so fast that I pretty much have to dose every day. Before I had SPS, I was able to keep the tank going with frequent water changes but not any more. I used to do 50% water changes twice a week, and sometimes did 100%, and it always did great.

Since I got my skimmer and started dosing, I've found I can just do a 25% change once a week and everything stays very stable.

The challenge I have now is that the alkalinity drops so quickly that I have to dose twice a day just to avoid big swings. So I ordered one of the Jebao dosers from Fish Street, based on some good reviews from others here on NR. Hopefully that will help keep things more stable, especially when I go out of town :)

About twenty minutes after my post, I heard the fan start to act up again :( So I'll be putting in the new fan first thing tomorrow.

Kimberbee asked for a pic of my encrusting monti so here it is. Anybody know what kind it is? I've never seen one with the same colors as this one. Depending on the light, it also gets some blue in it...

https://flic.kr/p/qDNYWG'>16180439492_08145a1001_b.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/qDNYWG'>Green/Purple Encrusting Monti by https://www.flickr.com/people/15628054@N06/'>TeenyReef, on Flickr

The Idaho Grape plating monti I got from Gena is really doing great now. I accidentally broke the frag in half when I glued it in place, and now both pieces are growing well. Here's the larger piece - it's about two inches long now:

https://flic.kr/p/qnjRs3'>15993887210_4b8296a200_b.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/qnjRs3'>Idaho Grape Monti by https://www.flickr.com/people/15628054@N06/'>TeenyReef, on Flickr

I did the same thing...called and complained when the crab came with no poms! They credited me. I still have that crab too :). Awesome...can't wait to see you with another GBG.

Are you home?????

Funny story - after I got my un-pompommed crab from LA, I saw your post in your tank thread when you talked about how they gave you a credit - that's how I knew to ask for it :)

GBG is coming next Friday - had to wait for a day when I could come home early from work to wait for the package omgomgomg

Sorry to hear about ur Zoas but glad your trip was fun!

And jeez no Pom poms?! I can only imagine live aquaria might be having more frequent issues now that petco is buying them out :-(

Wow, how did I miss this?

Beautiful little tank, great job. :)

don't know how I missed this either. awesome job.

jealous of your montis!

Looks great! I love all the variety :)

That monti is super cool!!! If you ever frag it I'd be interested. ;) nice pictures.

Looking good

How bout an updated fts.

Thanks, everybody! I have no idea how to frag that monti since he's encrusting a big rock that I wouldn't want to break up. But if I figure it out I'll let you know :)

I'll work on a new fts later this month. I'd like to see the zoas recover a little bit first.

Sorry to hear about ur Zoas but glad your trip was fun!

And jeez no Pom poms?! I can only imagine live aquaria might be having more frequent issues now that petco is buying them out :-(

My first pom pom was ordered months ago, before they got bought out. I've heard of other suppliers refusing to offer a refund or exchange for no pom poms, saying that since the crab itself was alive, they didn't owe anything. So I think Live Aquaria did the right thing. They offered either a credit or a refund, no questions asked.

This is the first time I've ordered from them since they got bought out. We'll see if they keep up the good service and quality.

losing zoa's always sucks, but it always could be worse.

Yeah, I know. For some reason in this tank, zoas have been the most challenging corals for me. Nearly every other coral in the tank keeps on going strong, it's always the zoas that get messed up any time anything goes wrong. So much for them being "beginner corals" :)

So the other night after I fed the tank, I managed to leave my last box of frozen cyclopeeze sitting out overnight. Doooh! That stuff is pure gold now :angry:

Nobody has it locally now, but I did find some at Dr. Fosters and Smith with overnight shipping. Corals gotta have their cyclopeeze :)

So the other night after I fed the tank, I managed to leave my last box of frozen cyclopeeze sitting out overnight. Doooh! That stuff is pure gold now :angry:

Nobody has it locally now, but I did find some at Dr. Fosters and Smith with overnight shipping. Corals gotta have their cyclopeeze :)

that sucks! i wasn't able to get this brand because

they are low in stock. but i got a similar product, just

different brand, frozen EZ peez or something like that. :)

Oh man, frustrating! What brand of frozen cyclopeeze? I have a few packs sitting in my freezer from my calendar winnings :).

Those two montis look fabulous, BTW!

Archived