• 2 weeks later...

Four months on the new tank. tested today:

CA 425

Alk 8.5

MG 1400

No3 - .25

Po4 - .02

Radions - 70% Max intensity

Pretty happy overall with color and growth. Have some trimming to do this weekend on some of the SPS and Zoa as they are getting a little close for my comfort.

Conversation Question: How do you dose and what do you use?

Me - BM doser with BRS Alk, Red Sea CA and TLF AcroPower. Manual dose Red Sea Coral Colors a,b,c and d daily.

Curious to hear/see results from other products.

I was thinking more about your tank and the challenges of balancing the alk and wondering if you brought your Ca down if it wouldn't make a difference. I know it sounds odd... I could not find the link - but I read that alk and ca reduce in specific proportions. And if you are dosing equal parts, you should reach equilibrium. If your Ca is high and the corals use what keeps daily dosing at 450, could it be that you need to reduce down to 425 or so while maintaining Alk in the mid 8 range to see if they can balance with regular 2 part equal dosing?

I like that TLF has the strontium and Mg in it.

I dropped the Calc dosing this morning by 20ml to see what, if anything happens to Alk. I did get 8.1 or 8.2 KH this morning so I moved the needle a bit but the test I rely on is my evening test so we'll see what it ends up at. I've been reading and re-reading RHF articles on the subject and he also recommends testing just Alk and dosing equal parts so I'm not sure, but it can't hurt trying it, as long as I make sure Calcium does not drop too low.

Are you running a 24 hour dosing cycle? Or dosing once per day? If you're doing the TLF two part, focus on balancing the Alk where you want and let the Ca come down some to get your balance and then equal parts again. Just my two cents.

Wow. That is very odd. Did alk continue to go up?

No, stayed about the same, maybe up to 8.2. Going to try another calcium test kit.

Very curious to know if you get a difference. the more I think about it, the more it makes sense (at least in my crazy brain)

Thanks TeenyReef!

Mark- Very far top right yes. There's three different ones - pink lemonade, lemon lime and rainbow. That big one is the rainbow.

Yay! My Hawkins and Red Planet seem to be pulling out - thought I lost both for sure last month... Tonight is the first time I have seen polyp extension - and it's on both of them.

:D

Yay! My Hawkins and Red Planet seem to be pulling out - thought I lost both for sure last month... Tonight is the first time I have seen polyp extension - and it's on both of them.

:D

Good to hear man!

Thanks Matt - been SO BUSY with interest rates dropping, have not been on the site in a bit...

I did some cleaning last night and more today/tomorrow to get down to the bottom glass with a razor. I will see about some new pics. All seems well. Growth is good, color is good. parameters are decently stable.

Looks sweet.Great job.

Waiting for my 120 degree lenses to come it. When you made the switch did you ramp up intensity to 100%? I am running at 55% now down from 65% and getting better coloration. I seem to be frying my A. nasuta still.

I started with the 120 lenses so I never changed... I am at 75% right now and letting it set for a little bit.

Most of my spa are growing straight up and not getting excellent color/growth on my milis so if i don't see any negative impact, I will bump another 5% and see where I am at. I also know that the more light, the more flow I need so will bump the MPs up. Lastly, with more light, I feel they need more nutrients... I think I am running a little too clean. Going to bump up my Acro Power dosing first... Then if still no change, try to switch my skimmer off for a few hours a day. Just doing my best to make slow changes and one at a time to track what is making the most impact.

Have you tried the Radion PAR link here:

http://www.aquaticlog.com/radion

I feel bad cause I cannot remember who originally posted that to give them credit...

I am going to the the 120 degree lens in today. After instal I need to figure out what to ramp up to. The Ecotech website has a decrease in max PAR from 1100 to about 600 with better spread. About a 50% reduction. Thanks for the link fun conversion. So at 55% I am running about 300-471 PAR in the center of the tank.

I was running too clean as well, I think I have got rid of my Bryopsis problem and the new water nutrients were 0.02 PO4 and 0.75 NO3 on my last check. (Up from 0's) I stopped RedSa NOXPO dosing and am now running All in one biopellets of 110 ml (g), seems to be doing well. Coral look happy. Just not getting incredible growth except for the monitpora sps.

Came across this in a feeding zooxanthella article on advanced aquarist, was a good read.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2014/11/aafeature?utm_source=nivoslider&utm_medium=slider&utm_campaign=clickthru

Archived