SaltCritters.com

Poker's Fusion - I shall call him squishy. Page 5

pokerdobe

Your in testing mode now for sure.

Yeah.. after my 2nd testing, I was in shock. I had never tested with LPS and didn't think the birdsnest would consume so much.. I'm still kind of skeptical to be honest.

Does consumption increase exponentially as sps become colonies?

At what point did your alk start dropping dramatically?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah.. after my 2nd testing, I was in shock. I had never tested with LPS and didn't think the birdsnest would consume so much.. I'm still kind of skeptical to be honest.

Does consumption increase exponentially as sps become colonies?

At what point did your alk start dropping dramatically?

Yes- as they grow they consume more. Mine went from dosing 20ml of Alk and ca. To 45ml in about 3 months- but I do have about 24 sps frags that have turned to colonies. My Birdsnest is about the size of a softball- getting crazy! Once I had about 10-15 pieces Alk was really being consumed throughout the day- but they were all small frags. Your piece is about 3-4 frags easy.

Yes- as they grow they consume more. Mine went from dosing 20ml of Alk and ca. To 45ml in about 3 months- but I do have about 24 sps frags that have turned to colonies. My Birdsnest is about the size of a softball- getting crazy! Once I had about 10-15 pieces Alk was really being consumed throughout the day- but they were all small frags. Your piece is about 3-4 frags easy.

Ah I see I see. My alk drop seemed less today.

Is there a reason why you should dose alk in the morning specifically? I'm pretty lazy in the morning and rushing out the door consequently....

Also, make that 4-5 frags worth of alk consumption now. Just picked up a random acro off my buddy. I don't know what it is, but it's pink also.

Ah I see I see. My alk drop seemed less today.

Is there a reason why you should dose alk in the morning specifically? I'm pretty lazy in the morning and rushing out the door consequently....

Also, make that 4-5 frags worth of alk consumption now. Just picked up a random acro off my buddy. I don't know what it is, but it's pink also.

I would dose twice a day (morning/night) to keep the usage(swings) less and try to keep things more stable. Alk. drops will really piss them off. You want to dose Alk. at least 10-15 min. Before Ca. also or you run the risk of precipitating the Ca. out. When you start dosing higher numbers that is more important. Nice- another Acro- you'll have a tank full before long? pics pics- we need pics!

I would dose twice a day (morning/night) to keep the usage(swings) less and try to keep things more stable. Alk. drops will really piss them off. You want to dose Alk. at least 10-15 min. Before Ca. also or you run the risk of precipitating the Ca. out. When you start dosing higher numbers that is more important. Nice- another Acro- you'll have a tank full before long pics pics- we need pics!

Got it.

If my rate of consumption for Ca is much much less than dKH, do I always have to does Ca when I dose dKH?

Also been running into a new issue with an addition to my tank - the skunk cleaner shrimp. It keeps walking over my goni.. causing it to stay retracted. Is there anyway to "train" the shrimp to no longer walk over the goni? Right now I'm contemplating a frag rack just to get the goni away from the shrimp.

Pics come tomorrow :D Left my camera in my office.

You eventually want them to balance so you are adding the same amount- Ca. Has a much easier "range" to keep than Alk. If your Ca. Is staying above 400-420 you can just add the Alk - that shouldn't hurt but once you start keeping Alk. More stable you should see the Ca. Usage start to even out- just keep your eye on it.

My cleaner does the same thing- every new addition get the treatment- it ck's em all out. Maybe move it to another location and see if that helps

You eventually want them to balance so you are adding the same amount- Ca. Has a much easier "range" to keep than Alk. If your Ca. Is staying above 400-420 you can just add the Alk - that shouldn't hurt but once you start keeping Alk. More stable you should see the Ca. Usage start to even out- just keep your eye on it. My cleaner does the same thing- every new addition get the treatment- it ck's em all out. Maybe move it to another location and see if that helps

Yeah, Ca is 400+ at the moment, hovering steady at 415. DKH seems to be my biggest issue.

Just moved some of my corals around. Hopefully this new arrangement works out. I may have to explore other rock work options... at least until the frag rack arrives. If it wasn't for the fact that the goni is the priciest thing in there, I'd just take a wait and see approach.

My guess is millepora

Very very pretty. Will need high light and flow.

Thanks - I think you nailed it. Google images show pretty close. It's pretty much in the same vicinity as the birdsnest. I'll observe for a few days and adjust accordingly.

Thanks - I think you nailed it. Google images show pretty close. It's pretty much in the same vicinity as the birdsnest. I'll observe for a few days and adjust accordingly.

Nope. Birdsnest is seriatopora, a different species of SPS. While in general all SPS like high light and flow, seriatoporas are hardy even in moderate light. But Pink SPS no matter the species, prefers high light and flow.

Nope. Birdsnest is seriatopora, a different species of SPS. While in general all SPS like high light and flow, seriatoporas are hardy even in moderate light. But Pink SPS no matter the species, prefers high light and flow.

Ah, thanks. Should I move it higher up than the birdsnest? that'll require some rock re-work. I'm keeping it directly under a puck.

How does one determine how high the flow is?

Archived