ReefCleaners.org

Poker's Fusion - I shall call him squishy. Page 5

pokerdobe

I've been lurking around for some time, doing my research and asking my fair share of dumb questions. Finally, it's time to start tracking my progress on my 100% (Equipment) secondhand off craigslist and classifieds build.

Excuse my pictures, as I'm still toying around with the settings. I haven't quite locked down on how to take good aquarium photography.

I still haven't settled on the corals I'd like. All I know for sure is I'd like either a frogspawn or a torch. Suggestions are welcome.

Equipment

• IM Nuvo 16 IM Fusion 20
  • IM Nuvo Stock Return Pump Sicce Syncra 1.5
  • IM Nuvo 16 Custom Caddy Media Basket 2x InTank Media Baskets x2
  • Vortech MP10

Lighting

• Nanobox Duo
  • Storm Controller

Hardscape

• 12lbs Caribsea Arag-Alive Fiji Pink
  • 10 lbs Marco's Dry Rock

Filtration

• Filter Floss
  • Chemipure Elite
  • Purigen

Stand

• Ikea

Livestock Plans

• 2x Van Gogh Ocellaris
  • 1x Skunk Cleaner
  • 1x Trapezia guttata (hitchhiker)

Corals

• Neon Green Branching Hammer
  • Teal Branching Hammer
  • Peach? Wall Hammer
  • Green and Pink tipped Frogspawn
  • Duncan
  • Acans
  • Zoas
  • Red Goni
  • Seriatopora
  • Maxima

8/4/14

qmyjknm.jpg

BMMrYAQ.jpg

9/5/14

RQBNR5B.jpg

9/9/14

BLA6SXs.jpg

d7Kp4NG.jpg

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tank looks great, I like the rock work. I'd go with gold Torch Coral over Frogspawn (personal preference). For LPS I like Acans and Chalices. Then add some of the many nice Zoanthids that are available in the US (I assume you're from there, forgive me if you aren't). A Gorgonian could look great on that left rock as well.

Tank is looking good! I would suggest replacing the glass top- mine would fog over regularly . You can make or purchase a clear screen-allows better air flow . If you look at upgrading the return pump down the line look at the Sicce 1.5- great flow and very quite. Nice picture of the clowns- little buggers are tough to get in focus!

Tank looks great, I like the rock work. I'd go with gold Torch Coral over Frogspawn (personal preference). For LPS I like Acans and Chalices. Then add some of the many nice Zoanthids that are available in the US (I assume you're from there, forgive me if you aren't). A Gorgonian could look great on that left rock as well.

Thanks 4x5! I've been following your thread for a while and you have an amazing build. I was seriously contemplating a Kessil for some time before I caught the Nanobox deal because of your thread.

I'll check out the gold torch - it's my first time with corals and I'm a bit nervous on keeping them. And no apologies needed - I do live in the old US of A.

Love the scape...and those clowns!

Thanks, glad you like the scape... I'm not too sure if I'm settled on it though. The clowns have been busy making holes in my sand bed....

Tank is looking good! I would suggest replacing the glass top- mine would fog over regularly . You can make or purchase a clear screen-allows better air flow . If you look at upgrading the return pump down the line look at the Sicce 1.5- great flow and very quite. Nice picture of the clowns- little buggers are tough to get in focus!

Thanks! Would the screen kit from BRS work? I was actually going to order that this coming weekend... Would you recommend upgrading the pumps?

Clowns are spastic little critters...

Nice setup. Can you tell me what you're using for a stand? I've been looking for one for my Nuvo 16 for a while and haven't found much.

Of course - I use the Ikea Kallax. It was surprisingly sturdy for being an Ikea product. I'll post pictures of the entire stand if you want.

Yes- the BRS screen is the one I have- love it! Easy to remove for feeding and maintenance . Upgrading the pumps? - you may want to- you have the MP10 so I am sure your water movement is good. The Sicce 1.5 is about 2 times the gph - I also use 2 IM spin streams to give me a lot of variable water movement but I don't run any power heads in the tank. The Sicce pump is a lot quieter than the stock pump. It's all about the upgrades- lol- I really like the reactor for this tank to- I run carbon continuously ( 2-3 table spoons-changed every 2 weeks) and GFO sparingly( 2 table spoons 1 week max. ) depending on my phosphate readings - I feed my tank a good amount twice a day. You can run the two mediums together just a little tricky- there are videos on that. I haven't needed a protein skimmer yet because I do 5 gal. Water change on Sunday and have recently also added in a 2.5 gal water change on Wednesdays . My SPS are growing and starting to use more Ca. and Alk. So the added water change is helping with that. I just started dosing small amounts of Ca. , Alk. And Mag.- looking at getting the BRS doser kit to make it all automated. Keep up the good work and enjoy! Check out my build thread link below!

Yes- the BRS screen is the one I have- love it! Easy to remove for feeding and maintenance . Upgrading the pumps? - you may want to- you have the MP10 so I am sure your water movement is good. The Sicce 1.5 is about 2 times the gph - I also use 2 IM spin streams to give me a lot of variable water movement but I don't run any power heads in the tank. The Sicce pump is a lot quieter than the stock pump. It's all about the upgrades- lol- I really like the reactor for this tank to- I run carbon continuously ( 2-3 table spoons-changed every 2 weeks) and GFO sparingly( 2 table spoons 1 week max. ) depending on my phosphate readings - I feed my tank a good amount twice a day. You can run the two mediums together just a little tricky- there are videos on that. I haven't needed a protein skimmer yet because I do 5 gal. Water change on Sunday and have recently also added in a 2.5 gal water change on Wednesdays . My SPS are growing and starting to use more Ca. and Alk. So the added water change is helping with that. I just started dosing small amounts of Ca. , Alk. And Mag.- looking at getting the BRS doser kit to make it all automated. Keep up the good work and enjoy! Check out my build thread link below!

Good to hear on the BRS screen!

I'll probably hold off on upgrading the pumps for right now... I do have an eventual goal towards automation, but it's definitely a step by step process for me.

I checked out your thread and my stand is the exact same as your stand. You have great coral growth too... jealous :). Corals scare me... hopefully I won't do too bad when I start adding mine.

Good to hear on the BRS screen!

I'll probably hold off on upgrading the pumps for right now... I do have an eventual goal towards automation, but it's definitely a step by step process for me.

I checked out your threat and my stand is the exact same as your stand. You have great coral growth too... jealous :). Corals scare me... hopefully I won't do too bad when I start adding mine.

Thanks for checking it out! Just go slow with coral- start out with some softies- and try not to add to much to soon. Ya- your pump situation is fine and with your MP10 you probably won't need to any time soon - if at all.

Of course - I use the Ikea Kallax. It was surprisingly sturdy for being an Ikea product. I'll post pictures of the entire stand if you want.

Thanks! Yes, please post pictures if you have the chance.

Thanks! Yes, please post pictures if you have the chance.

OhpDYeI.jpg

Hope that works out for you.

Some general status stuff

• Ordered the Pico size cleaner package from Reef Cleaners... My tank now looks like a snail apocalypse of biblical proportions at night.
  • Female clown occasionally "scratches" herself on the sand bed... but only in her "hole" she's dug out. I'm a bit nervous as to what this might mean... I've started feeding her NLS Thera A and have some Prazi Pro on standby...
  • Clowns have stringy poop - Intestinal parasites? They both are very active and have good color. I've looked at them carefully and do not see any white dots or anything out of place... Both seem to be breathing fine with no trouble swimming or being active.
  • 2 weeks later...

Picked up a couple frags over the weekend - but I'm not really too sure as to their condition... I was hoping someone more knowledgeable would come along and elucidate me...

Primarily, I'm concerned about the hammer frag I picked up.. It just doesn't seem as "fat." I'm not sure if that's the best way to put it.

Specs and parameter listed below:

• Lighting:
    • Channel 1: 35 (13.72%)
    • Channel 2: 45 (17.64%)
  • Flow set at 8% (MP10)
  • Water parameter:
    • PH: 8.0
    • Ammonia: 0
    • Nitrite: 0
    • Nitrate: 0-5? API test kits are... limiting?

Reassure me or give me ulcers! I really don't want this to die on me.. as I'd love to add a more exotic hammer in the next couple of weeks.

9v2xWBK.jpg

And of course, the 2 clowns seem to be doing well.. The female stresses me out with odd behavior.

toY3j2R.jpg

nkRRWUx.jpg

Just learned today that my lfs I got the hammer from kept their frags under Radions on 100% intensity. Do hammers shrink under low light/insufficient light?

The zoas are also only partially open...

The hammer looked far more shrunken today...

I have to tell you that my clown also “scratches” herself on the sand bed and both have “stringy poop” too! I purchased a bonded-pair from LiveAquaria's Diver's Den in January of 2012, and they're still as playful as ever. In fact, because of her behavior, I removed the fine sand (Arag-Alive Fiji Pink), and replaced it with a larger size (Special Grade Sand). In the mourning, I'd wake up and find sand all over my rocks from her. She'd do this over the entire sand bed. I think she's stirring up the sand to see if any live food would attempt to come out. So, don't worry, and just enjoy them!

I have almost the same hardware setup as you, but in white. I replaced my stock pump with 2 Sicce Syncra 0.5 Aquarium Pumps from Amazon. Very nice and silent!

Are you concerned your Ikea bookcase might collapse? I noticed if I put my hand under where the tank sat, a felt slight curve underneath. I replaced mine. These bookcases are not solid pieces anymore, so I wonder if you tap the sides if it sounds hollow. From what I've heard, they haven't been made of solid pieces of fiberboard since 2003. According to Ikea's specs, the tops maximum support weight is 45 pounds.

I have to tell you that my clown also “scratches” herself on the sand bed and both have “stringy poop” too! I purchased a bonded-pair from LiveAquaria's Diver's Den in January of 2012, and they're still as playful as ever. In fact, because of her behavior, I removed the fine sand (Arag-Alive Fiji Pink), and replaced it with a larger size (Special Grade Sand). In the mourning, I'd wake up and find sand all over my rocks from her. She'd do this over the entire sand bed. I think she's stirring up the sand to see if any live food would attempt to come out. So, don't worry, and just enjoy them!

I have almost the same hardware setup as you, but in white. I replaced my stock pump with 2 Sicce Syncra 0.5 Aquarium Pumps from Amazon. Very nice and silent!

Are you concerned your Ikea bookcase might collapse? I noticed if I put my hand under where the tank sat, a felt slight curve underneath. I replaced mine. These bookcases are not solid pieces anymore, so I wonder if you tap the sides if it sounds hollow. From what I've heard, they haven't been made of solid pieces of fiberboard since 2003. According to Ikea's specs, the tops maximum support weight is 45 pounds.

Good to know... it looks like the scratching has settled out for my female. Her new "stress me out" activity is to swim around then run back to her bed to lay on her stomach like a goby for a couple minutes, several times a day. The pair hasn't done too much for the sand other than carving out a ditch for themselves.

I've been keeping on eye on my bookcase, but it seems to be holding. I think Sk8n Reefer also has the same book case and he doesn't seem to be having any issues... Maybe he'll chime in. If I do start feeling a curve, then i'll move it over. Might take that time to get a different tank as well.

Good to know... it looks like the scratching has settled out for my female. Her new "stress me out" activity is to swim around then run back to her bed to lay on her stomach like a goby for a couple minutes, several times a day. The pair hasn't done too much for the sand other than carving out a ditch for themselves.

I've been keeping on eye on my bookcase, but it seems to be holding. I think Sk8n Reefer also has the same book case and he doesn't seem to be having any issues... Maybe he'll chime in. If I do start feeling a curve, then i'll move it over. Might take that time to get a different tank as well.

Ya- the Ikea book case is interesting- another thread listed it as $30.00 and can be mounted on a wall- I wouldn't think this could mount on a wall just to heavy and the directions didn't list that as an option and there are no mountings for that application in the back. From my notes on setting up the tank I have the Ikea stand listed as $150.00 with the 2 buckets- might be a different material or something- not sure but the stand is solid- I even have a 3.5gal. Container of fresh water for my ATO in the shelve enclosed with the basket- everything is solid but every morning when I come down I do ck the tank immediately to see if it has cracked- from all the horror stories I have read on here with the Nuvo 16 cracking. The stand has no bowing to it at all . I sent my wife back about 3 months ago to pic me up another one for additional equipment and she said they don't carry that kind anymore? Not sure if it's the same- ikea is always changing their product lines.

Ya- the Ikea book case is interesting- another thread listed it as $30.00 and can be mounted on a wall- I wouldn't think this could mount on a wall just to heavy and the directions didn't list that as an option and there are no mountings for that application in the back. From my notes on setting up the tank I have the Ikea stand listed as $150.00 with the 2 buckets- might be a different material or something- not sure but the stand is solid- I even have a 3.5gal. Container of fresh water for my ATO in the shelve enclosed with the basket- everything is solid but every morning when I come down I do ck the tank immediately to see if it has cracked- from all the horror stories I have read on here with the Nuvo 16 cracking. The stand has no bowing to it at all . I sent my wife back about 3 months ago to pic me up another one for additional equipment and she said they don't carry that kind anymore? Not sure if it's the same- ikea is always changing their product lines.

This might be the case - you might have Ikea's older "expedit" line, while I have the newer "kallax" line. IIRC, I think my bookcase was somewhere in the ballpark of 30-40 dollars.

The Nuvo's cracking also worries me... I bought mine used for a fairly good price... which is the only reason I didn't go with Pico's AIO. I now wish I did so I don't have to live in constant paranoia that I'll come home to a flood.

I have that same ikea bookcase as a stand. The one with my fresh water tank was purchased many years ago with the rest of our living room set. I went to ikea to get a matching one... When I got home and put it together I discoverer that the outside material (top, bottom, and sides) are made of much thinner material than they used to be. Luckily I had one of the old style ones in the guest bedroom, so I swapped them out. Bad Ikea!!!

Here is an article about the change:

http://gizmodo.com/heres-why-ikea-is-discontinuing-everyones-favorite-sh-1527126312

This might be the case - you might have Ikea's older "expedit" line, while I have the newer "kallax" line. IIRC, I think my bookcase was somewhere in the ballpark of 30-40 dollars. The Nuvo's cracking also worries me... I bought mine used for a fairly good price... which is the only reason I didn't go with Pico's AIO. I now wish I did so I don't have to live in constant paranoia that I'll come home to a flood.

Ya, I am feel like I am just buying time till a disaster- not a warm and fuzzy feeling for sure. Luckily , my coral have been growing so a larger tank is definitely in the not to distant future . I sent an email to IM and asked if there was a time period when the tanks failed and is mine safe- Brian wrote me back saying they have manufactures hundreds of thousand tanks with any issues and mine should be fine- still wasn't the answer I was looking for but I am not sure what he could of said. I am sure there is a correlation to the breakage and the manufactured date but he didn't seem to think so. Good info on IKEA - thanks

I have that same ikea bookcase as a stand. The one with my fresh water tank was purchased many years ago with the rest of our living room set. I went to ikea to get a matching one... When I got home and put it together I discoverer that the outside material (top, bottom, and sides) are made of much thinner material than they used to be. Luckily I had one of the old style ones in the guest bedroom, so I swapped them out. Bad Ikea!!!Here is an article about the change:http://gizmodo.com/heres-why-ikea-is-discontinuing-everyones-favorite-sh-1527126312]http://gizmodo.com/heres-why-ikea-is-discontinuing-everyones-favorite-sh-1527126312[/url]

That's great information- thanks for posting that.
lilmatty5dimes

tank looks great. nice equipment list. that a nice pair of clowns you've got. i thing she maybe just trying to find a nesting place. my female was doing it for a week or so and now she sleeps at that place. i wouldn't worry about it to much. can't wait to see some more corals.

tank looks great. nice equipment list. that a nice pair of clowns you've got. i thing she maybe just trying to find a nesting place. my female was doing it for a week or so and now she sleeps at that place. i wouldn't worry about it to much. can't wait to see some more corals.

Thanks! I just got the Tunze 3152 Nano - it's staring back at me right now, so I can't wait to get it hooked up and working.

The clowns definitely seemed to have settled in more.. my females nests in her sand crater for now... but they seem more and more interested in the hammer everyday. Unfortunately, the hammer is too small to be nested.

Where'd you score your RBTA? I like it.. bubbled up pretty well... Do you find keeping the RBTA difficult? My tank is fairly new, so I'm hesitant on adding a BTA...

lilmatty5dimes

Thanks! I just got the Tunze 3152 Nano - it's staring back at me right now, so I can't wait to get it hooked up and working.

Where'd you score your RBTA? I like it.. bubbled up pretty well... Do you find keeping the RBTA difficult? My tank is fairly new, so I'm hesitant on adding a BTA...

Thanks. I liking the tunze so far. I had it's bigger brother on a smaller tank and loved it plus I got this one for a steal.

There was a guy selling it on a local forum. Local as he was only 4 minutes down the street from me. Got it for $5. My only problem was he wouldn't stay in one spot and he moved around to much for me. Of. Purse the same time I decide to sell him some else posted a rainbow anemone for $50 down the street. Banghead. Lol I would wait 8-9 months for you tank to mature and settle down and stable.

Ya, I am feel like I am just buying time till a disaster- not a warm and fuzzy feeling for sure. Luckily , my coral have been growing so a larger tank is definitely in the not to distant future . I sent an email to IM and asked if there was a time period when the tanks failed and is mine safe- Brian wrote me back saying they have manufactures hundreds of thousand tanks with any issues and mine should be fine- still wasn't the answer I was looking for but I am not sure what he could of said. I am sure there is a correlation to the breakage and the manufactured date but he didn't seem to think so. Good info on IKEA - thanksThat's great information- thanks for posting that.

The breakages have been fixed essentially, it was a defect in the first few models of the 16 your tank should be perfectly safe, after all any tank can fail miserably just IM got some bad publicity and now everyone gives them flak, their company is three years old and making millions they are not bad tanks or they would be long out of business, and they are as they say innovative, no one ever said an invention or adaptation would be 100% successful. On a side note some things I heard on the cracking were glass thickness and how they were transported, the 16 was due to an improper transportation method being used, pretty much 100% resolved.

The breakages have been fixed essentially, it was a defect in the first few models of the 16 your tank should be perfectly safe, after all any tank can fail miserably just IM got some bad publicity and now everyone gives them flak, their company is three years old and making millions they are not bad tanks or they would be long out of business, and they are as they say innovative, no one ever said an invention or adaptation would be 100% successful. On a side note some things I heard on the cracking were glass thickness and how they were transported, the 16 was due to an improper transportation method being used, pretty much 100% resolved.

Well, that gives me some better information- I wish IM would of stated that to me. I've been talking with Brian every few weeks trying to resolve my micro bubbles - and I don't run a skimmer! There was another recent posted that stated their Nuvo 16 was leaking, at the filter seam I believe - so I think there could still be some issues but the ratio of tank failures is low- but please don't make mine one of em

Archived