Coral Vue Hydros

Poker's Fusion - I shall call him squishy. Page 5

pokerdobe

I am a big LPS lover. In my limited 1 year reefing experience, I would say frogspawns are most hardy, then hammer, and torch last. I have 3 torch brown jelly on me. I had a frogspawn that I thought for sure was gonna die after I pointed a powerhead at it accidently but it recovered just fine. It had almost no tissue left. I have a hammer that's on its way out now but it's the first hammer I have lost so far.

And I was at my LFS last week and he was complaining how his expensive gold torch colony lost 2 heads all of a sudden and his regular torch lost 1 head.

I've noticed that torches seem to have this happen more than frogspawns and hammers from what I've read across forums. Maybe they are just much more prone to damage since they have much longer flowing tentacles.

So the general consensus is just that torches are more difficult then. I think I'll just stay away from torches for now... For being more stingy and aggressive compared to their cousins, you'd think there'd be an upside to their care level.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the general consensus is just that torches are more difficult then. I think I'll just stay away from torches for now... For being more stingy and aggressive compared to their cousins, you'd think there'd be an upside to their care level.

Yup, same here. No more torches for me. Toxic hammer + octo frogspawn are the best. Never tried a wall hammer though but heard those are very difficult to keep long term.

I've noticed that torches seem to have this happen more than frogspawns and hammers from what I've read across forums. Maybe they are just much more prone to damage since they have much longer flowing tentacles.

But they seem to like flow. Maybe it's a fine line. I've seen some torches just blasted with flow and be fully open. My hammer gets cranky if it's rustled even a little.

My torch, hammer, and frogspawn all have good days and bad days. But it seems to take them a little longer than other corals to adjust to new tanks or when moved around.

Yup, same here. No more torches for me. Toxic hammer + octo frogspawn are the best. Never tried a wall hammer though but heard those are very difficult to keep long term.

I currently have a wall hammer.. it's finicky for sure - there's weeks where it looks fantastic and weeks where I'm not sure if it'll pull through... It's currently going through it's low cycle.

But they seem to like flow. Maybe it's a fine line. I've seen some torches just blasted with flow and be fully open. My hammer gets cranky if it's rustled even a little.

Maybe coral dependent? The torch that died was in a lower flow area of my tank. The torch still alive is right where my return flow meets the pathway of my MP10.

• 2 weeks later...

That's a really good lookin scape. The only concern I have is the fact that the sand may cover all those fingers stretching out.

Thanks!

The hardscape is going to elevated on some eggcrate and the sand will be pretty minimal - just enough to cover the glass.

• 3 weeks later...

Help on an impulse seriatopora - is this browned out? I bought it at a steal at my LFS and this is how it looked liked in the store. The white tips I've been told indicate growth.

The color is darker in real life - tried to replicate colors on the fly.

x6sh3bF.jpg

Help on an impulse seriatopora - is this browned out? I bought it at a steal at my LFS and this is how it looked liked in the store. The white tips I've been told indicate growth.

The color is darker in real life - tried to replicate colors on the fly.

x6sh3bF.jpg

Pink is the hardest color to maintain, it likes high light otherwise it looks brownish. The coral looks healthy otherwise.

Love the tank and the look with that nice nanobox!

Thanks - I haven't updated in a while though. The Nuvo is no more, running off a Fusion.

Pink is the hardest color to maintain, it likes high light otherwise it looks brownish. The coral looks healthy otherwise.

I didn't know that - thanks for the advice! How intense should the light be? I am running a Nanobox with the below settings:

Channel 1: 150

Channel 2: 95

I think that roughly comes out to 58.82% on the blues and 35.29% on the whites. The light is on a goose neck mount.

The birdsnest is sitting on the highest point in the tank, directly under a puck.

Btw, been reading your new build - it's a pretty awesome tank. :)

Fusion is even better :D

It is :D. I've thought about putting a Fusion 10 in my bedroom.

Very nice- great shot you can see how big it is.

Thanks - I just hope I can keep it alive. It came with a neat little acro crab - Trapezia guttata.

Any tips SPS whisperer?

Tested some parameters:

Ca: 415 ppm

dKH: 8.2

Mg: 1200 ppm

If I understand correctly, I should dose to the following:

Ca: 425ppm

dKH: 9

Mg: 1300

Any help is appreciated. Currently using B-Ionic for dosing.

Your parameters are fine IMO.

The placement of the coral under the lights seems pretty fine to me. Give it time to adjust. It will tell you if the light is too much or too little by changing its colors, polyp extension etc. It's fuzzy, that tells me it is happy.

Thanks - I just hope I can keep it alive. It came with a neat little acro crab - Trapezia guttata.

Any tips SPS whisperer?

Ha! Good one- I wish! Your parameters look good- test it morning and night at the same time for a few days and see how it dips. Alk of 8 is just fine- Mag might bumped slightly but I am just nit picking? the best thing is to try and keep the parameters as level as possible- not having large swings. It's gonna be a great looking piece.

Your parameters are fine IMO.

The placement of the coral under the lights seems pretty fine to me. Give it time to adjust. It will tell you if the light is too much or too little by changing its colors, polyp extension etc. It's fuzzy, that tells me it is happy.

Ah thanks. Guess I'm just impatient. :) I will look to achieve maximum fuzziness.

You can never have too many tanks lol.

My girlfriend will beg to differ...

Any tips SPS whisperer?

Ha! Good one- I wish! Your parameters look good- test it morning and night at the same time for a few days and see how it dips. Alk of 8 is just fine- Mag might bumped slightly but I am just nit picking the best thing is to try and keep the parameters as level as possible- not having large swings. It's gonna be a great looking piece.

Did you manually dose when you started off? What test kits do you use? I bought the Red Sea Coral Pro, but to be honest, I think it's a pain in the ass to use - I'm never certain as to what I should be recording, the change point or the end point. Even then, I'm not sure as to what my end point is.

In other news, my little trapezia crab already molted. Freaked me out for a second when I saw it's empty husk.

Ah thanks. Guess I'm just impatient. :) I will look to achieve maximum fuzziness.

My girlfriend will beg to differ...

Did you manually dose when you started off? What test kits do you use? I bought the Red Sea Coral Pro, but to be honest, I think it's a pain in the ass to use - I'm never certain as to what I should be recording, the change point or the end point. Even then, I'm not sure as to what my end point is.

In other news, my little trapezia crab already molted. Freaked me out for a second when I saw it's empty husk.

Yes I manually dosed morning and evenings both when the lights were off- remember to dose Alk. 1st then wait at least 10min. Before adding Ca. - Mag. Can go anytime. I use Saliferts for Ca. And mag. And tropic marine for Alk. Both seem pretty good- I never tried Redsea but I hear people complaining about them a lot- hard to read.

Yes I manually dosed morning and evenings both when the lights were off- remember to dose Alk. 1st then wait at least 10min. Before adding Ca. - Mag. Can go anytime. I use Saliferts for Ca. And mag. And tropic marine for Alk. Both seem pretty good- I never tried Redsea but I hear people complaining about them a lot- hard to read.

Thanks - definitely going to go buy new test kits, at least for alk. I've been tracking and my alk seems to drop 1dkh per 24 hours?

Seems a bit excessive to me, so I'm hoping I'm just reading the results incorrectly off the RSC Masterkit.

Thanks - definitely going to go buy new test kits, at least for alk. I've been tracking and my alk seems to drop 1dkh per 24 hours?

Seems a bit excessive to me, so I'm hoping I'm just reading the results incorrectly off the RSC Masterkit.

Your in testing mode now for sure?.

Archived