Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Poker's Fusion - I shall call him squishy. Page 5

pokerdobe

Hahaha- absolutely- I've been looking at the sc aquarium 80-32x24x24 or the 90-36x24x24 - look like nice tanks. Ya the nanobox combo is what I am interested in- I see a lot of people going with the straight T5's now on sps tanks though- not excited about yearly bulb replacement though. Gotta research more as usual

Just checked them out - just my opinion, but I like the the 90 better...

Have you thought about giving Pico Aquariums a shot?

Agree with you on those trends for SPS, seems like it's coming back to T5's... Luckily I don't plan on keeping sps. LPS all the way in this tank...

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just checked them out - just my opinion, but I like the the 90 better...

Have you thought about giving Pico Aquariums a shot?

Agree with you on those trends for SPS, seems like it's coming back to T5's... Luckily I don't plan on keeping sps. LPS all the way in this tank...

Ya the 90 has the euro bracing which I think looks cool but can have some condensation build up in the corners- from what Chris! says. Does Pico make larger tanks too? I wouldn't mind spending a little extra for a sweet looking tank- what do you think about the black silicone look?

Ya the 90 has the euro bracing which I think looks cool but can have some condensation build up in the corners- from what Chris! says. Does Pico make larger tanks too? I wouldn't mind spending a little extra for a sweet looking tank- what do you think about the black silicone look?

Pico does alot of custom orders - you could specify exactly what you want in terms of dimensions, glass type, style, etc. I'd send them an email to at least get a quote to see how much it would be. I'm definitely going to order my shallow cube from them once I purchase a house.

Not sure on the silicone, I've always been pretty impartial to silicone color, I think it'd look pretty awesome regardless.

Pico does alot of custom orders - you could specify exactly what you want in terms of dimensions, glass type, style, etc. I'd send them an email to at least get a quote to see how much it would be. I'm definitely going to order my shallow cube from them once I purchase a house.

Not sure on the silicone, I've always been pretty impartial to silicone color, I think it'd look pretty awesome regardless.

Hmmm- well that's great information? ya I'll have to look into that for sure. Wouldn't hurt getting a quote for sure

michaelrzachmann

you say LPS all the way now.... haha i said the same thing i was crazed about frog spawns, still got 3 beauty frogs spawns but i have a feeling with that nice nanobox youll catch the sps bug eventually and then youll be all about sps lol... woooo those hammers are amazing though... are those clowns davincis? prob my favorite designer clown with the wyoming whites. i was close to getting a flurry pair but i cant get myself to just ditch my standard ocellaris pair they doing too well, maybe one day

Waiting on my heater before I begin the transfer.... USPS decided that 12-1 wasn't in their best interest to deliver.. so they stuffed my heater somewhere in Kansas city and it'll remain there till they see fit.

So in the meanwhile, here's a clam for your troubles. Still having trouble photographing clams, the color is off and the image isn't all that sharp...

ykokaq9.jpg

you say LPS all the way now.... haha i said the same thing i was crazed about frog spawns, still got 3 beauty frogs spawns but i have a feeling with that nice nanobox youll catch the sps bug eventually and then youll be all about sps lol... woooo those hammers are amazing though... are those clowns davincis? prob my favorite designer clown with the wyoming whites. i was close to getting a flurry pair but i cant get myself to just ditch my standard ocellaris pair they doing too well, maybe one day

I will never give in! Thanks though - the clowns are DaVinci's and I know what you mean.. it's hard to just ditch your livestock...

Show me your frogspawns!

michaelrzachmann

I will never give in! Thanks though - the clowns are DaVinci's and I know what you mean.. it's hard to just ditch your livestock...

Show me your frogspawns!

photo45_zpsaa81286d.jpg

photo11_zpsd00ce9b6.jpg

photo41_zps81a55d0d.jpg

thats my 3

michaelrzachmann

Any tips to share? I've had mixed success - my wall hammer has been acting rather prissy recently. Low flow area with moderate lighting, so I'm not too sure what's going on.

hmmmm not really any specifically sorry lol. I do really try and aim for picking out corals that look healthiest in the store though. Those have turned out to look healthiest in my tank. I dont do anything really special with them besides the usual water testing for calcium and nitrates and water changes. T hey are prob in the lowest flow part of my tank that isnt behind the rocks, they sway slowly. I have them anywhere from mid to low in my tank but those specific frogspawn heads were at the top of my tank and opened up great too. Idk i think it mostly depends on the coral i have had coral that just seem to be hardier than other people seem to find so maybe it is the specific coral is hardy or i am better at this than i give myself credit for lol.

You can see the flow they get in this video (switch to 1080p)

So, 1 of the 2 torches I got recently brown jellied itself to torch heaven.

Not sure what caused it? I picked out the two healthiest torches at my LFS and acclimated them. I didn't pick them up at the same time. The first one I got Sunday, the second one Tuesday. The 2nd one is the one that died on me.

Question is, why?

How does this

3tAygwG.jpg

Go to this in less than 24 hours?

0gQ8tNQ.jpg

I lost a gold torch the same way. It was fine for a while then brown jellied and I lost the whole thing. I tried dipping it but it must have been too late. Bummer

I lost a gold torch the same way. It was fine for a while then brown jellied and I lost the whole thing. I tried dipping it but it must have been too late. Bummer

So assume that it's just completely lost? Also worried about all my other LPS pieces in my tank... which is basically my entire tank...

That was just my experience. Recently 2 heads of my hammer brown jellied. Since it had 4 heads I fragged it immediately to keep it from spreading. It seemed to have worked and I've had no more trouble. Sucks when a single head of something gets brown jelly :( It's a judgement call.

That was just my experience. Recently 2 heads of my hammer brown jellied. Since it had 4 heads I fragged it immediately to keep it from spreading. It seemed to have worked and I've had no more trouble. Sucks when a single head of something gets brown jelly :( It's a judgement call.

*Sigh.. I really wish I could save this piece... it's a nice orange and blue tip torch..

Thanks - guess I'll throw it out when I get back... it's currently in a tupperware clipped to the side of the tank. Not worth losing my actively growing and healthy (fingers crossed) LPS. Should I be concerned about the spread to all my other LPS? I have 3 hammers, 1 frogspawn, acans, 1 duncan, and 1 goni.

I also lost my Yellow Torch to Brown Jelly........usually not much you can do, especially with a single head. Sorry bout the loss.

I suppose it happens in this hobby - just was hoping I could avoid it. It's my first coral loss, so I guess this one is a tad bit more traumatizing.

Btw, the nanobox you sold me is still up and running :D . How's your radion working out? I have a Fusion 20 I'll be setting up in the next couple of week and was wondering it if was worth considering the radion.

I suppose it happens in this hobby - just was hoping I could avoid it. It's my first coral loss, so I guess this one is a tad bit more traumatizing.

Btw, the nanobox you sold me is still up and running :D . How's your radion working out? I have a Fusion 20 I'll be setting up in the next couple of week and was wondering it if was worth considering the radion.

Stay with Nanobox. I LOVE Ecotech, but frankly, I would have rather had a Nanobox still. Especially with lime now. I am considering starting a tank back up( took mine down for a move) and will be contacting Dave about a Hybrid LED/T5 for a 45 gallon shallow :naughtydance: . hoping to get it up First of the year.

My torch did the same, was healthy and fine in the LFS, got it home, acclimated it, bout 48 hours later is was on it's way out. I feel like the infection is from something while handling it....unsure, but I do dip, so I would think that would kill most anything on my hands.....

Stay with Nanobox. I LOVE Ecotech, but frankly, I would have rather had a Nanobox still. Especially with lime now. I am considering starting a tank back up( took mine down for a move) and will be contacting Dave about a Hybrid LED/T5 for a 45 gallon shallow :naughtydance: . hoping to get it up First of the year.

My torch did the same, was healthy and fine in the LFS, got it home, acclimated it, bout 48 hours later is was on it's way out. I feel like the infection is from something while handling it....unsure, but I do dip, so I would think that would kill most anything on my hands.....

Really? Interesting... Guess I'll be ordering a Nanobox with Lime then for the 20.

Go for the tank! The urge will never go away and it'll be a great grow out tank to hold you over. 45 gallon shallow sounds like an awesome size. The first thing I plan on doing when I have a house is ordering a custom 30 gallon shallow cube from PicoAquariums.

I've started reading on brown jelly and it seems like it's has to be physically damaged (cut/damaged polyps) to contract brown jelly? So maybe I mishandled it during transport from the lfs?

I am a big LPS lover. In my limited 1 year reefing experience, I would say frogspawns are most hardy, then hammer, and torch last. I have 3 torch brown jelly on me. I had a frogspawn that I thought for sure was gonna die after I pointed a powerhead at it accidently but it recovered just fine. It had almost no tissue left. I have a hammer that's on its way out now but it's the first hammer I have lost so far.

And I was at my LFS last week and he was complaining how his expensive gold torch colony lost 2 heads all of a sudden and his regular torch lost 1 head.

I've noticed that torches seem to have this happen more than frogspawns and hammers from what I've read across forums. Maybe they are just much more prone to damage since they have much longer flowing tentacles.

Archived