Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

D Z's garage frag tank(formerly CAD 34G Mini)

D Z

Alex has his system on point lol.

Thats the truth man....I think he will be one of the premier stick dealers in Orlando here pretty soon once the aquaculture business really gets goin...

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh so he's going to specifically do sps or everything ?! That Red Wine really wants me to get another piece of it lol. I wanna go my sps under led's again and see if I can get them to do better.

Yea, to kill the bryopsis. Are you familiar with that method of eradicating bryopsis. There is a trace element in Kent Tech M that will kill bryopsis, but you need to bring the concentration up for it to be effective. Most people that have had this work for them notice the bryopsis starting to die after mag has been brought up to about 1800 or so. For a long time, it was unknown what trace element it was that was responcible, but recently with Triton doing such detailed water testing, it is believed to be Lithium.

As for Alk, I do usually test at night, but not at a specific time. My results show that the alk is still quite higher than what I want in the end, so I don't think it would make much of a difference right now. Once I get it down into the 8-9 range where I want it, I will keep this in mind, though.

Oh I see, yes I had heart that high Mag helps reduce bryopsis. I was not aware that it was in fact the Lithium in the Tech-M which provided that effect. The more you know.

I'm sure that once you get he salinity to where you want it to be that the Alk will level out with a few water changes :).

Those SPS pieces have really coloured up though, they look amazing.

So my salinity is all back on track now. Officially back to 35 ppt. Everything seems to be responding well to the change, except for 1 small frag of zoas that just mysteriously melted away. Unfortunately, it was a frag of zoas that I had become very fond of in the past couple weeks as it was starting to color up into something very nice. Oh well, I am just happy that everything else is happy.

Here are a couple crappy cell phone pics from the weekend.

Acans healing up from the change. They are a lot more open here than they have been lately so thats a good sign.

18209998974_214ed2bf90_h.jpgDSC_0037 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

I moved the goni up to where my pink lemonade was. It seems nice and happy up there...

18806327036_cbceeb19c6_h.jpgDSC_0042 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

Cool rainbow ric that I found. This pic doesn't do it justice...

18209993444_d033787875_h.jpgDSC_0039 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

New FTS

18209994944_e186f4f238_h.jpgDSC_0030 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

Figured I would post this as well, so that I can compare to it later on.

The Bryopsis that I am currently battling.

18211925023_19d921638e_h.jpgDSC_0035 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

lilmatty5dimes

What zoa odd you lose? Tank is looking better. I did a water change and tested my tank and found my calibrate solution for my refractometer and found out mine was .04 low. So my tank has been running at 1.022. Probably whyy chalices recede and look like crap and acans aren't very puffy.

What zoa odd you lose? Tank is looking better. I did a water change and tested my tank and found my calibrate solution for my refractometer and found out mine was .04 low. So my tank has been running at 1.022. Probably whyy chalices recede and look like crap and acans aren't very puffy.

Damn, that's pretty much what I've been dealing with man, except mine got all the way down to 1.020. Honestly, I don't pay too much attention to all the name buzz for zoas. I have some designer, named zoas, but most of mine I just buy what looks good. The one I lost was a light pale purple with glitter throughout. The glitter was what was just starting to really show and was what was making me really like it. Regardless, it must have been the salinity change, but I'm not going to stress too much about 1 piece melting when everything else is happy with the change.

More bad news....

Yesterday was just a day from hell for me, for many reasons that I will not get into here. To top it off, my tamarin died last night. I had noticed that it was acting a bit strange starting a couple days ago. At first, I noticed that it was trying to get under the sand to sleep in a different spot than usual, a spot that didn't have much sand. The sand was too shallow there, but the tamarin continued to try to dig. It eventually gave up, and just went back to its normal spot. Then, 2 nights ago, I noticed that the tamarin was laying on top of the sand when I went to feed the fish. After dumping the food in the tank, I kinda gave the tamarin a nudge, and it swam up and started eating. It ate well, so I didn't think much of it. Yesterday, when my wife went to do the day time feeding, she noticed it was doing the same thing, but did not get up to eat this time.

Last night when I got home from work, it was still the same. Not eating, laying on the sandbed, and rapid gill movement. The only thing I can think of would be an internal parasite, possibly flukes. I did a 5 minute RODI dip and then moved it into my QT in case I wanted to start a prazi treatment today, but unfortunately it was dead by the time I woke up this morning. :furious::rant::tears:

Back to just my 2 clowns and mandarin....

Damn that sucks. Sorry to hear about the bad news.

dislike...

So sorry about your Tamarin :( Just got caught up with everything. And happy late Dad's day!

Thanks guys. It sucked, but I am over it now. Just need to move forward and see what I want to try next. And thanks for the father's day wishes! It was a great day. Golf with Moscow mules and cigars, pool with the kids, and a great dinner out with the family.

Thanks guys. It sucked, but I am over it now. Just need to move forward and see what I want to try next. And thanks for the father's day wishes! It was a great day. Golf with Moscow mules and cigars, pool with the kids, and a great dinner out with the family.

doesn't get much better than that!!!

So, not much of an update. I am trying to just leave the tank alone as much as possible. Everything looks just so-so for now as my parameters are all over the place and I haven't done a water changes in a while due to battling the bryopsis still.

This is the first time I have tested in a while, but here is where things were at as of Saturday

35ppt
alk 11.5
phos 0
nitrate 5
mag 2200

It looks like the bryopsis is starting to die, so hopefully it will do so quickly.

Forgot to mention yesterday, my RW-4 decided to just stop working over the weekend as well. Threw it in a vinegar bath and its still not firing up, so I order 2 more. I have been thinking about adding a second powerhead anyways so that I can get a more random flow in the tank. Also, now if either of them fail again in the future I will have the second one as a backup. At $45 a piece on amazon, you really cant beat it, even if I loose 1 a year.

Forgot to mention yesterday, my RW-4 decided to just stop working over the weekend as well. Threw it in a vinegar bath and its still not firing up, so I order 2 more. I have been thinking about adding a second powerhead anyways so that I can get a more random flow in the tank. Also, now if either of them fail again in the future I will have the second one as a backup. At $45 a piece on amazon, you really cant beat it, even if I loose 1 a year.

How long did you have the RW-4 in use? I'll be ordering a pair for my 55G but was thinking I may need to go with two RW-8's.

How long did you have the RW-4 in use? I'll be ordering a pair for my 55G but was thinking I may need to go with two RW-8's.

So I started the tank on August 19th, and the RW4 has been running in here since then, so about 10 months or so. Honestly, I set up the 2 new RW-4's last night and I have then turned as low as they can possible go, on "C" mode and it is SO MUCH FLOW! You might be able to get away with RW-4s. The price isn't really all that more for the RW-8s, but they are a little bigger, which would be undesirable to me.

So on another note, I must have the bryopsis strain from hell. I just don't get it. My mag is over 2200, which is starting to wreak havoc on other things, but the bryopsis is still alive. It looks weakened for sure, but most people see it start dying off once the mag is around 1600-1800. Not me. :angry:

I had to move all my turbo snails to my QT because they were all laying on their backs with their bodies hanging out of their shells. My plate is receded. A couple zoas are starting to look bad, and I have lost at least 1 frag to melting. My torch is worse than it ever has been. It let go of another head the other night, which landed on my favorite acan... And to top it all off, I came home to a bacteria bloom yesterday, which I am assuming is because of micro fauna die off from elevated mag. I think its time for a LARGE water change and some lettuce nudis......or a fresh start..... :(

damn man,you can't catch a break can you man ? Such a shame. Just keep at it man. Shit will get back on track soon enough.

damn man,you can't catch a break can you man ? Such a shame. Just keep at it man. Shit will get back on track soon enough.

Dude seriously....I feel like starting over with live rock. The main reason I started with dry was to avoid issues like this, and I still have them, in addition to the instability cause by starting with dry rock....smh.

Do you think letting Alex hold your corals for a few weeks,and then add a few larger pieces of love rock to the tank would help ? And kinda let everything balance out,then add everything back would be easier or just starting over fresh ?

How much byropsis is it? Just smother it with putty or superglue and itll die. If its only patches dont go crazy with your mag. If its over run then i guess you have no choice.

jedimasterben

Tech M

Hmm. I would probably do as close to a full water change as you can (basically to 'reset' all parameters) and then start raising it again.

Archived