Pod Your Reef

D Z's garage frag tank(formerly CAD 34G Mini)

D Z

Update on everything.

Got the reactor installed and running, although, I am not sure I got enough rowaphos in there to really do anything yet. I wanted to take it very slow as to not shock the tank by decreasing nutrients too quick. I started with 2 tablespoons, but I think I am going to empty it out and bump up to 1/4 cup this weekend when I do my next water change.

Also, I had been thinking some of the algae issues could be from quality of water. I tested my TDS out of the RODI and it was 0. Tested TDS in the brute and it was 0. Then last night, I realized I haven't tested the TDS in the top off container....it was 52. :o Did a quick rinse and back to 0. Not sure if that could have been causing problems, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Well, I ended up loosing the garf bonsai to STN. Bummer, but hopefully I will get this figured out soon and not loose anything else. The rainbow stylo is looking better so that is good. Everything else looks good so fingers crossed that nothing else starts loosing any tissue.

Light retro is still on hold for now, until I have some spare time. Found a used RKL for a good price. I think I might pull the trigger on that. Other than that, not much else has changed.

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I did end up pulling the trigger on the used RKL over the weekend. Im excited to get some failsafes and redundancies going that I should have had for a while now. I honestly have no idea what my ph is as I haven't ever really checked, so it will be nice to be able to monitor that as well as all the other little things made easier by having a controller.

I also preordered the the IM gormet defroster. Should make feeding time easier.

Water change and upping the rowafos to 1/4 cup tonight. Pictures in the next couple days.

So I did end up pulling the trigger on the used RKL over the weekend. Im excited to get some failsafes and redundancies going that I should have had for a while now. I honestly have no idea what my ph is as I haven't ever really checked, so it will be nice to be able to monitor that as well as all the other little things made easier by having a controller.

I also preordered the the IM gormet defroster. Should make feeding time easier.

Water change and upping the rowafos to 1/4 cup tonight. Pictures in the next couple days.

Looking good. I love having a controller. I use mine mainly for the heaters and the feed cycle but also to turn a small cooling fan on and off.

I saw the defroster and plan on one too - when I put the auto feeder on the tank when I am away it'll help stop the pellets going straight down the overflow. I saw the Apex feeder but Im having a hard time spending that much when I already have a battery operated Eheim that has worked for the last few years!

Sooooo I went to do a water change last night. When I stuck my hand in the tank, I noticed that the water felt a little warmer than usual. I checked my thermometer and it showed the temp at 87degrees!!! My A/C has been having trouble keeping up lately and the house has been about 82 or so throughout the day for the past couple days. Luckily, everything seemed to look ok, maybe a tab pissed off, but mostly ok. I have the day off on Friday so I plan to rip apart the AC and clean the coils really good as I think that may be the root of the problem, but I can't really do anything about it till then. :unsure:

Sooooo I went to do a water change last night. When I stuck my hand in the tank, I noticed that the water felt a little warmer than usual. I checked my thermometer and it showed the temp at 87degrees!!! My A/C has been having trouble keeping up lately and the house has been about 82 or so throughout the day for the past couple days. Luckily, everything seemed to look ok, maybe a tab pissed off, but mostly ok. I have the day off on Friday so I plan to rip apart the AC and clean the coils really good as I think that may be the root of the problem, but I can't really do anything about it till then. :unsure:

If you have a fan you can direct across the top of the tank, it will help with evaporative cooling and keep temps down. I'm not sure how close you can get to ambient or whether you can actually get below ambient but I'm sure it will help.

If you have a spare outlet on your controller, you could set it up on there and then it will only come on when needed and then switch of a predetermined lower temp.

If you have a fan you can direct across the top of the tank, it will help with evaporative cooling and keep temps down. I'm not sure how close you can get to ambient or whether you can actually get below ambient but I'm sure it will help.

If you have a spare outlet on your controller, you could set it up on there and then it will only come on when needed and then switch of a predetermined lower temp.

Yeah, for now I just left the lexan lid off and have my ceiling fan in the room on high. Hopefully that will keep it down closer to 80 or so. Fingers crossed that no fish go jumping. I don't have any extra fans laying around and don't have the controller yet to set that up. If I don't get the AC fixed on Friday, then I gonna have to do that.

I thought it was weird that I would have this problem all of a sudden. I have never noticed it in the past, but then again, I did just switch skimmers and add a reactor, so that may also be contributing to the extra heat. I really hope that with the AC fixed, I can keep the temp down as I really dont want extra stuff like fans hanging off the tank. We shall see.....

Yeah, for now I just left the lexan lid off and have my ceiling fan in the room on high. Hopefully that will keep it down closer to 80 or so. Fingers crossed that no fish go jumping. I don't have any extra fans laying around and don't have the controller yet to set that up. If I don't get the AC fixed on Friday, then I gonna have to do that.

I thought it was weird that I would have this problem all of a sudden. I have never noticed it in the past, but then again, I did just switch skimmers and add a reactor, so that may also be contributing to the extra heat. I really hope that with the AC fixed, I can keep the temp down as I really dont want extra stuff like fans hanging off the tank. We shall see.....

Removing the top will help a lot and the ceiling fan will make it even better. Have you considered a mesh top that uses the window screen frame and a 1/8" mesh? I have noticed that with the bigger skimmer and the GFO reactor, my temps are slightly more inclined to rise. With the Apex I can see that temps drop a touch after the feed cycle when the skimmer and GFO are off for 30 minutes. I have the skimmer off so it doesn't overflow and the GFO is on the same outlet because I only have 4 and am too cheap to buy another outlet module!

Removing the top will help a lot and the ceiling fan will make it even better. Have you considered a mesh top that uses the window screen frame and a 1/8" mesh? I have noticed that with the bigger skimmer and the GFO reactor, my temps are slightly more inclined to rise. With the Apex I can see that temps drop a touch after the feed cycle when the skimmer and GFO are off for 30 minutes. I have the skimmer off so it doesn't overflow and the GFO is on the same outlet because I only have 4 and am too cheap to buy another outlet module!

I actually used to use a screen top, but replaced it with the lexan lid because I felt it looked better. I was actually thinking I might stop at home depot on the way home tonight to pick up some more screen frame material to remake a screen top to use until I can get the temp issue sorted out.

jedimasterben

Evaporative cooling works exceedingly well, you can actually get well below ambient temperature with it (of course, with much increased evaporation with it lol). When I forget to turn the ceiling fan off in the room with my tank, I notice that the water gets much cooler and usually I'll lose about a gallon or so overnight. :o

Evaporative cooling works exceedingly well, you can actually get well below ambient temperature with it (of course, with much increased evaporation with it lol). When I forget to turn the ceiling fan off in the room with my tank, I notice that the water gets much cooler and usually I'll lose about a gallon or so overnight. :o

Oh I can definitely attest to that as well. When I was running the tank with a screen top, I would have to fill my ATO container(around 1 gallon) every 2-3 days. Now, when I am running my lexan lid, I can go about a week or so without having to refill.

So my RKL should be here tomorrow! woot woot! Planning on trying to get it set up this weekend. IF I have time, I might start working on my new floating canopy this weekend too. I also got an email that my new IM gormet defroster/feeder shipped from Marine Depot so that is exciting. I may also try and get my spare 10gallon tank setup as a QT this weekend. I really want to get some more fish in here!

Tank Update:

The cyano is mostly gone now. Bumping up to 1/4 cup of rowa must have finally done the trick. Now to get rid of this bryopsis again. Doing nightly broadcast doses of 1ml of H2O2 and pulling out as much as I can during weekly WC's.

The temp seemed to be ok yesterday just from keeping the lid off and ceiling fan running. Down close to 80 or so, which I can accept. Definitely much better than 88!!! :o

Everything seems to be doing well. Luckily I did't notice any casualties from the temp incident. More pics in a little while once there is something new to show.

So my RKL should be here tomorrow! woot woot! Planning on trying to get it set up this weekend. IF I have time, I might start working on my new floating canopy this weekend too. I also got an email that my new IM gormet defroster/feeder shipped from Marine Depot so that is exciting. I may also try and get my spare 10gallon tank setup as a QT this weekend. I really want to get some more fish in here!

Tank Update:

The cyano is mostly gone now. Bumping up to 1/4 cup of rowa must have finally done the trick. Now to get rid of this bryopsis again. Doing nightly broadcast doses of 1ml of H2O2 and pulling out as much as I can during weekly WC's.

The temp seemed to be ok yesterday just from keeping the lid off and ceiling fan running. Down close to 80 or so, which I can accept. Definitely much better than 88!!! :o

Everything seems to be doing well. Luckily I did't notice any casualties from the temp incident. More pics in a little while once there is something new to show.

I think we live in parallel universes - my defroster also shipped and I am also setting up my 10g QT. I have my eye on the ORA White Spotted Pygmy Filefish. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3352+3353+3470&pcatid=3470

I'm using peroxide on Gelidium. Spot treatment though, not dosing.

Glad it's all coming together for you!

I think we live in parallel universes - my defroster also shipped and I am also setting up my 10g QT. I have my eye on the ORA White Spotted Pygmy Filefish. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3352+3353+3470&pcatid=3470

I'm using peroxide on Gelidium. Spot treatment though, not dosing.

Glad it's all coming together for you!

LOL quite the series of coincidences. Contrarily, I am thinking about a sunburst anthia and a orchid dottyback. Hope your fight against the gelidium pans out well.

How are you planning to set up your QT?

I am not expecting to have to dose any meds, it is more just for observation and caution. So, I am going to go bare bottom with live rock, some random pvc pieces for extra hiding spaces, hang on back filter, and the standard light hood from the 10 gallon. Nothing special, just a place to house the fish to make sure they don't bring anything nasty in with them. Probably keep them in there for 3 or 4 weeks before moving them to the 34.

What a weekend it has been so far. My wife and kids are out of town so its been a project oriented weekend. Cleaned the coils on my ac system, lots of miscellaneous projects around the house, got a QT going for some soon to be new fish, set up my new RKL, and even to got some progress on the new floating canopy. To top it off, I got an awesome splatter hammer from Alex B at Modern Aquaria and we hung out a while, had some beers, and even took some killer pics with Alex's DSLR. Thanks again buddy. Photo dump to come tomorrow or Monday but here are a few teasers.....

2 tanks is always more fun than 1!

17573775069_f5cb1caaaf_b.jpg20150515_234343 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

Aiptasia HH on the LR in QT

17137542654_2c40d9fcb5_b.jpg20150516_104612 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

Sneaky side view :ninja:

17826800941_b99e3c6499_k.jpg17568503250_9f920467a5_o by cchsoracle, on Flickr

Wow looks great.

Thanks, cant wait to see pics of your new zoas!

That last picture man,killer !!

Thanks. I have to give credit to Alex for that one. Someday I will own a DSLR, although, I am not sure if I will ever know how to use it as well as he does! More amazing pics like that one to come soon. I just need to get the rest of them from him.

great picture of that side view.

how is the peroxide working long term for the bryopsis?

Thanks! The peroxide seems to work well to weaken the bryopsis. What I have noticed is that when dosing 1ml per night, the bryopsis starts to turn a palish white color instead of its normal green. When it does this, then my turbo snail will munch down on it. If I dosed more than 1ml, it may do a better job of killing it outright, but I have been hesitant to try. I have heard mixed things about whether H2O2 is good to broadcast dose like this. I notice that all of my zoas close up right after I dose it. Nothing else seems to be affected by just 1ml, though, but I have heard some people say its not good for SPS. I think I may add another 1 or 2 turbos and hopefully that will be enough to take it out completely.

Here is the photo dump I was talking about, well at least part 1 of it anyways. Thanks again to Alex for hooking it up with the awesome pics.

New FTS

17205968713_8da3b9ef02_k.jpg17568238008_4d5808f6a9_o by cchsoracle, on Flickr

Close up of the new hammer. I am in love with this thing. Such a cool splatter.

17638787380_beaf1f346f_k.jpg17753394852_4a5b4c57ec_o by cchsoracle, on Flickr

Couple cool Acan shots

17826334145_011875d2ab_k.jpg17753393302_27a432ae10_o by cchsoracle, on Flickr

17823522662_8005b9b6c2_z.jpg17756400761_dbca1de909_o by cchsoracle, on Flickr

Who doesn't love some ric garden close-ups?!?!

17640088769_69c4fdbcb6_k.jpg17568505910_0012c36275_o by cchsoracle, on Flickr

17640087799_cab352ba2f_k.jpg17756408721_0fd1fa6b6f_o by cchsoracle, on Flickr

17800023896_5e52d46a0e_k.jpg17569759419_fa0f98d0d9_o by cchsoracle, on Flickr

Such an awesome shot of my yuma, which is getting huge btw...

17800025906_35d52ea8b5_k.jpg17729087226_86ab764699_o by cchsoracle, on Flickr

Red Planet :wub:

17638523718_8ac5d7f297_k.jpg17135686463_f61e75292a_o by cchsoracle, on Flickr

The goni I got from JoshPorkSandwich

17203823834_8282047c8a_k.jpg17753373662_bc98f7dd09_o by cchsoracle, on Flickr

Last but not least, my beloved wellso

17638521508_03edd0d6e5_k.jpg17132690434_82c7ce039a_o by cchsoracle, on Flickr

Looking good.

That goni is sick.

The RP looks very healthy too, nice PE.

Thanks bud. Def 2 of my favs right now.

Looking good bro. When I get some times I'll finish editing the rest!

Cool man. Im in no rush...take your time and thanks again. I had fun too, good beer and good times.

Archived