Pod Your Reef

D Z's garage frag tank(formerly CAD 34G Mini)

D Z

How's this beauty working?

Man there's a few hobbyist over your way with awesome sps collection that sell pretty nice frags for a decent price. Y'all are some lucky sob. Lol

So far, it is only producing a wet skim, but I think it is still in the break in phase. I pulled the cup up a little last night so we shall see how it looks when I get home. With that being said, the wet skim that it did pull out was already smelling nastier than what the pls-50 was able to pull, so that is a good sign. I also still have a slightly low bioload with only 2 clowns and the mandarin, so I am not quite sure how much dark skim I can expect to see once this thing is dialed in. I should know more by the end of the weekend, I would think. I will keep you posted.

Where do you find the locals selling coral? RC? Craigslist?

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eh,that's not too too bad. But it is when I only paid $25 for mine lol. Which was on his way coloring up and then it didn't survive the move.. I'd to have another piece of RP though,always been a favorite. I'm sure LR was charging nicely for that.

That skimmer is sexy though,and had a nice price tag too for that brand and size skimmer.

Reef central. Orca section

I didnt see anyone in there selling SPS lately....link?

Eh,that's not too too bad. But it is when I only paid $25 for mine lol. Which was on his way coloring up and then it didn't survive the move.. I'd to have another piece of RP though,always been a favorite. I'm sure LR was charging nicely for that.

That skimmer is sexy though,and had a nice price tag too for that brand and size skimmer.

The RP wasnt bad. They were charging 60 but I got it less than that. Most of the frags were a good deal smaller. It was the biggest frag and has some nice branches forming already.

The skimmer is beautiful. Very solid acrylic work. So far so good.

Update on the skimmer: In the middle of the night, I woke up to the skimmer overflowing. Not sure what caused it, but I had to pull the cup all the way to the highest point, and it was still overflowing a little bit. I'll look closer at it tonight if it is still doing it.

Well, not really sure what caused the skimmer to go nuts and overflow. It was back to normal last night. Still getting a pretty wet skim, but I think I am getting closer to having it tuned where I want it.

and I think I am in love.....

17117879847_4c28ebce33_b.jpg20150429_233835 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

I'm telling you man,RP's are fu*king sick !!! It will always be on if my favorites !!! I see that Rsd Wine is starting to get some good color back ;)

ETA on RETRO?

-Dave

Soon...im trying to find time to redo my floating canopy. I want to make it thinner and center the light properly. I got another little surprise piece coming from Marine Depot for the light as well...

I'm telling you man,RP's are fu*king sick !!! It will always be on if my favorites !!! I see that Rsd Wine is starting to get some good color back ;)

Yep, loving both of those frags. Both are def in my top 5 favorites in the tank.

So for the past week or so, my tank has been growing some algae. The bryopsis is back in full swing. And I have some red cyano growing on my sandbed. I am not sure if it had anything to do with switching the skimmers, but the new skimmer is running fairly well now so I am kinda ruling that out. I definitely have some excess nutrients, just not sure why they are out of no where. Although, I think I have had some higher than normal nitrates lately. I am considering adding a reactor, especially since I want to start adding some more fish, but I still am kinda on the fence about that.

In other news, we took the kids to SeaWorld yesterday. Got some pretty cool, inspiring pics of some of their reef tanks...

17181411769_faed3a6e40_b.jpg20150503_164438 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

17367641725_1476a73cbf_b.jpg20150503_164443 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

17341708386_6629961ec6_b.jpg20150503_164426 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

This was a really cool nano they had running behind one of the registers in the Atalantis gift shop. Probably around 40-50 gallons

17180098790_3087c2244e_b.jpg20150503_165750 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

17181464639_5ccb228745_b.jpg20150503_173810 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

17160231437_31d870ff60_b.jpg20150503_173818 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

SOOOO MUCH SPS

17179921458_0be2fbb087_b.jpg20150503_173910 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

The kids loved this clown/nem tank

17365786122_fff6708260_b.jpg20150503_174735 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

So after a lot of thought today, and over the past couple days, I have decided to give a reactor a shot. I really think I may have had some phosphates in the water and my hanna meter is just not seeing them. It has always read dead 0, which has always boggled my mind as I do tend to feed somewhat heavy. The bryopsis has got to be feeding off of something. And now with some cyano, that is almost a clear indication that there has got to be some phosphates. I have also had issues with random stn on certain sps, mostly the maricultured frags/minicolonies, but again this could be a sign of phosphates. My glass has been getting dirty a lot more often lately, as well. So the plan is this, take out the chemipure blue that does not seem to be doing anything and replace it with:

Media rack from my nuvo8(tired of waiting for the new one for the CAD34)

Purigen in the media rack for nitrate reduction

2 little fishes phosban reactor(ordered it today)

rowaphos(gonna start out slow and increase it as I see fit)

And I am goign to try to find a better way to rig my FF. Maybe I can fit the reactor and media rack into the first chamber, and possible just lay my FF on top?

Large water change tonight. I will be interested to see if the bryopsis is effected by these changes. It may not, but the cyano should def go away. If after a couple weeks the bryopsis still seems to be unaffected, I will consider going back to nightly h2o2 dosing.

Crossing my fingers and hoping that these changes don't cause more problems.....

There's a lot of info on treating bryopsis with high levels of magnesium. You may have seen that already.

Yes, I actually tried that route when I first had issue with bryopsis. You have to specifically use Tech M, as it is a chemical in the tech m that actually kills the bryopsis, not the mag itself. I had issues because as you raise your mag to upwards of 1700+, it also causes your salinity and alk to go up as well. I am still dealing with my alk being up around 10 because of this, when I really want it down around 8.

So I did a large water change last night and, in the process, sucked out all the cyano and plucked a bunch of bryopsis. Here is a picture of the culprit frag plug that started the whole mess. This is a purple martian chalice I got from WWC a while back. When my nutrients get high, the bryopsis on this plug comes out and grows like crazy. This is a pic of it in a 50/50 tank water/vinegar bath. Clean as a whistle now.

16758545233_012da1aae3_b.jpg20150504_212033 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

Reactor and everything else will be here tomorrow.

Tank looked pretty good last night after my big water change. Still some algae to deal with, but hopefully the addition of the reactor tonight will help out with that. I moved my frag rack to the back wall to get it under the light more. It should help to get them ready for their final resting place, which is somewhat of a surprise. I can say this, I should have it within the next week or so..... :ninja:

Got some late night pics last night. Check it out.

New FTS

17204686809_589377d87d_b.jpg20150505_231508 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

Closer pic of my frag rack

16770517513_6420dc1162_b.jpg20150505_231409 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

And a couple more random shots of things that looked good last night....

16770522283_b49de87295_b.jpg20150506_001928 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

16770630253_b448b35fcb_b.jpg20150506_002009 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

17204706799_e098f89514_b.jpg20150506_001916 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

Oh and one last thing. A couple people had been asking about how the skimmer looked. It does stick out the top of the back chamber, but its not that bad TBO. I think it is a good trade off for having an overrated skimmer.

17390438911_dea9ce67da_b.jpg20150506_002027 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

Reefkid88

Looking good man !! That frag rack is getting stocked I quickly !! How's that Granulosa coloring up ?

Looking good man !! That frag rack is getting stocked I quickly !! How's that Granulosa coloring up ?

Great actually. The PE on the granulosa was wild last night. Im just a little worried about my garf bonsai which is very very slowly loosing a bit of tissue at the base and my rainbow stylo which has not had very good PE lately.

Reefkid88

Awesome man. Are the corallites still like clearish blue ? That thing does get while at night. That's so weird. Was it from LR ?!

Awesome man. Are the corallites still like clearish blue ? That thing does get while at night. That's so weird. Was it from LR ?!

Yea, it is still a bluish green base/coralite with green polyps. Nope, the garf was from Modern Aquaria and the stylo from WWC. Got them both at RAP. It's probably just from my tank being so dirty/unstable. The stylo looked a little better last night, but had no PE at all when I looked at 6:30 this morning. Im just hoping they both bounce back now after the big water change. We shall see....

Ohhh I almost forgot. Right after feeding the tank last night, the pom pom crab came out. I hadn't seen him in a couple weeks so I figured I would shoot a video, which ended up turning into a vid of the whole tank. Hope you enjoy.(Make sure you switch it to full HD!!!)

Sweet rics!

Thanks! They're actually quite closed up in the pics and vid due to it being so late in the night and right after feeding. When they are all fully open, you can't see the rock they are all attached to at all. I'll try to grab a better picture when they are more open.

Looking good! Makes me want to change my rock work!

Thanks dude.....wait till you see how things look in another week or 2 after I get my SPS mounted to their new "rock".

Archived