inTank Media Baskets

D Z's garage frag tank(formerly CAD 34G Mini)

D Z

Now are you talking about direct spot feeding or broadcast feeding? I was referring to broadcast feeding.

Ahhh yeah I was talking about direct feeding. With broadcasting I guess you could say they "reach" for food when they detect its presence in the water column.

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice! I would agree and put the 45G on the top of the list. I have heard the same about the plumbing. Alex B redid all the plumbing to standard US sized plumbing when he set his up. You could talk to him regarding that. I personally wouldn't even put the deep blue or fluval in the same list. If it were me, I would consider the 2 cadlights tanks and other than that, it would be a custom built tank, but that's just me.

Yea, I am really leaning toward the 45G for my next upgrade but surprisely they are not very popular on this forum. I will check out Alex's thread more.

Yea, I am really leaning toward the 45G for my next upgrade but surprisely they are not very popular on this forum. I will check out Alex's thread more.

I guess I have seen some CAD haters on N-R. Honestly, though, out of everyone I know on here that actually OWNS a CAD tank, no one really has anything THAT bad to say. There are a couple people who had trouble with tanks not shipping well and I think CAD still needs to address their packaging and shipping issues. Other than that, once people have the tank set up, there doesn't seem to be much complaints that I have seen. Some people complain about their customer service, but I personally have talked to CAD a number of times, both over the phone and through email. I personally did not have any trouble getting in touch with them and was treated well every time I talked to them.

On another note, did some testing last night. Looks like I need to start keeping up with dosing Calcium. Alk and Mag are finally starting to fall, slowly though.

Salinity 1.026

Nitrate 3

Phos 0.00

Cal 390(dosed 15 ml last night, need to do another 15 tonight)

Alk 10.4

Mag 1530

I think by seeig the troubles other people have had with shipping,has made a lot of people weary about go with them. I have their Zen tank and didn't have any troubles. Although,it took almost a 2 weeks to get ahold of them to even see where my tank was and when I finally did,it was going to be delivered the next day.

Glad to hear things are settling back down randy,I know all that shit had to of been stressing you and the tank out.

I think by seeig the troubles other people have had with shipping,has made a lot of people weary about go with them. I have their Zen tank and didn't have any troubles. Although,it took almost a 2 weeks to get ahold of them to even see where my tank was and when I finally did,it was going to be delivered the next day.

Glad to hear things are settling back down randy,I know all that shit had to of been stressing you and the tank out.

Yeah, I guess I can understand that. They do need to work on their shipping.

Stressful, yes. But it has very much been a good learning experience as well. It should settle down and stabilize soon, and then I can really start to make it beautiful.

Wow, looking awesome!! I'm looking forward to following this. Definitely inspiring!

Thanks! That means a lot! This tank has been an interesting adventure. Glad you are tagging along!

• 2 weeks later...

Not too much to update on as far as the tank goes. I haven't tested at all in over a week. Just doing water changes and watching things and everything seems ok except for my blue maricultured piece. It lost more tissue, but seems to have stopped and will hopefully slowly recover now that parameters are slowly getting back in range.

I had decided to just focus on finishing up with upgrades, but most of what I want to upgrade is not available yet. Waiting on InTank to finish the basket, and it probably won't be done until some point in March/April. Skimmer upgrade will hopefully happen in April as well, once Aquamaxx brings out their version of the JNS WS-1, if that happens in April. I started working on the lexan lid, but need to find some free time to finish it up. I think it will be nice once it is done. The frag rack and doser are on hold for now as they really are not necessary and I wouldn't even really have a place for the dosing containers anyways. I am planning on building a custom L shapped desk in my loft sometime this year, which is where we have planned to put the tank at eventually. Once that is built I will probably invest in the doser, as I will be making a cabinet under the tank dedicated for equiptment.

It will probably look something like this when its all done.

16334616349_8be2971852_h.jpgloft 2.JPG by cchsoracle, on Flickr

Oh and there is one thing in the works as of right now and it includes 2 of these:

16222677561_fa8a37721d_z.jpg

And 1 of these:

blufish-mini-proto-450x450.jpg

Unfortunately, even though I ordered everything this week, I wont have anything in my hands for about a month as the Bluefish mini doesnt come out until the beginning or March...but it should be quite nice once it is done!

Tested the tank last night. Everything is good, except for my Alk which is STILL up at 10! The Mag has even dropped down to normal range, WTF?

Sal 1.025
Nitrate 2-3
Phos 0
Cal 390(dosed appx 7ml, which should bring this up to 397, will need to continue for a couple nights)
Alk 10
Mag 1320

Everything looks good except this piece, and its probably still due to the elevated Alk:

Blue Maricultured Acro with no lights(only natural ambient light)

16524266466_cd4d498572_h.jpg20150215_123134 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

Damn dude,still can't catch a break Huh ? Hopefully the STN stops,that's such a gorgeous piece. The STN has been happening for what a few weeks right ?

I know once you get the stuff for your light,it's going to be insane,especially with the Bluefish,that mini controller is sick !!!

Yeah I think its been 3 weeks or so now. Not sure what to do about the Alk at this point. I need to test my WC water and see where its at tonight b4 doing the change. This just doesn't make sense that its not coming down.

Thanks man, I cannot wait to get the light running. I have missed LED, but best of all, I am looking forward to hybrid!

Making me hate my 'scape. Looks good.

Thanks, I guess!LOL :lol:

I checked yours out. It looks good! Don't be so hard on yourself. The minimalist scape is nice, but it has its pitfalls too. I am a little worried that when I add more fish, there won't be enough hiding spots to keep them all stress free. I guess well see.

i want that pink ric!

That pink and blue ric is sexy! I'll let you know if it ever splits for me.

Damn,that's crazy. Taking STN to a whole new level lol. I'd say test the WC water,and see if it's on the recieving end of things. If not,I'm at a loss for words. It's weird how some pieces are doing fine and some aren't. The one acro you got from WWC I think it was,is doing fine,but the LR pieces stn'd and rtn'd in no time.

I like how you rearranged things though,it looks awesome as usual. Your ric selection is killer though,I can't say that enough !!!

Damn,that's crazy. Taking STN to a whole new level lol. I'd say test the WC water,and see if it's on the recieving end of things. If not,I'm at a loss for words. It's weird how some pieces are doing fine and some aren't. The one acro you got from WWC I think it was,is doing fine,but the LR pieces stn'd and rtn'd in no time.

I like how you rearranged things though,it looks awesome as usual. Your ric selection is killer though,I can't say that enough !!!

I don't think its the WC water. I was going to test it last night because I thought my Alk had stayed put or even gone up from the last time I checked it. After I actually went back and looked at my last post from the last water test, it turns out it did go down by .4dkh in about a week. So I'm not worried about the WC water.

Honestly, being that it was the maricultured pieces that had the most problems, I am just gonna chalk this up to instability and the tank just being too new, especially since I did not use an ounce of live rock and it was all dead, dry rock. I need to just get all my parameters back down into normal range and keep them there for another couple months and see what happens. For now, all my LPS and softies look good. Hopefully, the SPS I have will recover. Once I start to see some coraline growth, it should be a good sign that the tank has matured and I will consider adding more SPS.

Until then, I think I am going to just keep working on hardware and fish, and some more LPS once parameters are in range. I was thinking a goni on the left hand side and something like a wellso/trach/scoly in the sand in front of the torch. Then when the tank is more matured, I definitely want to try a clam(and more SPS).

Hope everyone had a good weekend. I went away for the weekend and the tank seems to have faired well. I premade frozen food and supplements into an all in one mixture, then pulled it into syringes so that all my dog sitter had to do was squirt 1 syringe into the tank each night. It seems to have worked well. I think I made just a little too much cause my nitrates were slightly up, but not bad.

Did a water change and some testing last night.

Nitrate: 4 - 5

Phosphate: 0.00

Calcium: 410

Alk: 9.8

Not too much to update on as far as the tank goes. I haven't tested at all in over a week. Just doing water changes and watching things and everything seems ok except for my blue maricultured piece. It lost more tissue, but seems to have stopped and will hopefully slowly recover now that parameters are slowly getting back in range.

I had decided to just focus on finishing up with upgrades, but most of what I want to upgrade is not available yet. Waiting on InTank to finish the basket, and it probably won't be done until some point in March/April. Skimmer upgrade will hopefully happen in April as well, once Aquamaxx brings out their version of the JNS WS-1, if that happens in April. I started working on the lexan lid, but need to find some free time to finish it up. I think it will be nice once it is done. The frag rack and doser are on hold for now as they really are not necessary and I wouldn't even really have a place for the dosing containers anyways. I am planning on building a custom L shapped desk in my loft sometime this year, which is where we have planned to put the tank at eventually. Once that is built I will probably invest in the doser, as I will be making a cabinet under the tank dedicated for equiptment.

Oh and there is one thing in the works as of right now and it includes 2 of these:

And 1 of these:

Unfortunately, even though I ordered everything this week, I wont have anything in my hands for about a month as the Bluefish mini doesnt come out until the beginning or March...but it should be quite nice once it is done!

Do you might I ask what that led panel from?

And 1 of these:

Dang dude that's gonna be a sweet setup!!!

Dang dude that's gonna be a sweet setup!!!

Thanks man. I cannot wait to get it going!

Pretty sweet video, what kind of cam did you shoot with?

Thanks! I just used my cell, LG G2.

Archived