Cultivated Reef

D Z's garage frag tank(formerly CAD 34G Mini)

D Z

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man that golden tenuis and milky ways are sick. Nice grab. Had a friend out to living reef yesterday and they didn't have anymore rainbow infusions. Dang.

Thanks man! That sucks on the rainbow infusions....I'll keep my eyes out for them for ya.

Very nice Ric garden! I'm jelly!

Thank you....it is definitely one of the more pretty parts of the reef.

Another small update....Everything has settled in well. I tested Calcium, Alk, and Nitrate last night just to keep my mind at ease with the new additions.

Cal: 420 ppm

Alk: 9.0 dKh

Nitrate: appx 2-3ppm

I didn't bother with phosphates as they have been dead 0 for a while now. I also didn't bother with Mag it should still be around 1350 from my last dose, and I should be getting some Tech M in the mail today to take care of the little bit of bryopsis I've got going on. Therefore, my mag should be going up due to the Tech M.

Got a lot done on the tank last night. I went to do a water change last week and my refractometer was all messed up. Not sure what happened exactly, but it needed to be replaced.(I had been a little skeptical lately on its precision, so not a big deal) So I upgraded to the newer Red Sea one, and it came in yesterday. Turns out my salinity has been somewhat low(1.022-1.023). I did a water change last night to correct it. Not sure what I did, though, as my salinity was up to 1.027 by the time I finished the water change. I meant to only raise it up to 1.024 and then top off with saltwater to raise it up to 1.026 over the next couple days. So I just took water out and let me top off bring it down to 1.026 and am hoping I don't piss off anything too bad, especially the 2 new SPS colonies. :wacko:

Also, my skimmer has still been a PIA, especially when it randomly started spitting out microbubbles again 2 days ago. It was looking pretty dirty so I decided maybe it was time for a vinegar bath and start over from scratch. Maybe I did something wrong when I first set it up? Anyways, it is in a vinegar bath as we speak, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that maybe it will work better once it is back in the tank. IF not, I'm going to be looking for something different.

Last but not least, I got my Tech M in yesterday and started dosing for the bryopsois. I started with 60ml, which should bring my Mag up to about 1380 - 1390. Ill probably dose another 60ml or so tonight to bring it up to around 1450, and see what effect it has on the bryopsis. Wish me luck...

Oh damn,that blows dude,I'm sorry. If you don't have any dip,and there still some left by a long shot,I can run you some over tomorrow.. Still doesn't help any. Did she say it was just that piece ?

This is the type of shit that makes me want to take up Shaun at Living Reef on then holding all my SPS until I know my 7 gallon can support them.. My 2 gallon is doing so good,it scares the crap outta me...

oh nooooo! I hope there is still some left when you get home, that is such a beautiful piece. :(

She said everything else looked ok. The other new colony is ok from what she said and she mentioned that all our zoas are open so that is a good sign. I'm really kicking myself in the *** right now...I should have just taken it slow and up'ed the salinity through topoff.

Oh damn,that blows dude,I'm sorry. If you don't have any dip,and there still some left by a long shot,I can run you some over tomorrow.. Still doesn't help any. Did she say it was just that piece ?

This is the type of shit that makes me want to take up Shaun at Living Reef on then holding all my SPS until I know my 7 gallon can support them.. My 2 gallon is doing so good,it scares the crap outta me...

I have some Revive at home. I'll do what I can when I get there...I still just can't believe this happened. I don't understand why it went so high....doesn't make sense. I finally had the tank running well. My wife is pretty upset...she is not much of an SPS person and actually picked out this piece and fell in love with it. Figures...

It happens man,you can't be mad at yourself. Maybe you tested before things mixed fully ? And salinity was lower,that's all I can say. I've had swings like that and remarkably I've gotten lucky,even in such a small tank. I've even had my nightly temps dip into the low 70's and during the day creep to almost 90 !!!! You've got more wiggle room than me,what 33 more gallons per say and I'm surprised things responded so negatively. Shit happens though,you live and learn. Don't beat yourself up about it.

Hopefully when you dip,frag and dip again things will turn out. I'm sure this isn't your first rodeo,you know how it goes. One day things are fine,the next everything is going south. Stabilize and proceed brother.

Yup, unfortunately. The water had mixed for a good 45 minutes. The only thing I didn't do was heat it so I think the water was around 74deg, but I doubt that would make that big of a difference tbo. I just doesn't make sense that 5 gallons of water at 1.027 - 1.028 would bring 25+ gallons at 1.022 up that high. I need to test my cal and alk tonight cause if the salinity went that high, god knows where the cal and alk are right now and that is probably what is stressing out the tenuis the most.

Yeah that's really weird. Even with my tank,which during the day stays around 77-78 when I mix water I don't even Heat it. I just mix up a gallon,shake,adjust accordingly and pour in.

What salt are you using,if you're using RSCP is test Alk and Calc,and see where they are at. It could be disastrous.. As you know,most species are pretty hard,but depending on swings like that result in what you're currently going thru.

Yeah that's really weird. Even with my tank,which during the day stays around 77-78 when I mix water I don't even Heat it. I just mix up a gallon,shake,adjust accordingly and pour in.

What salt are you using,if you're using RSCP is test Alk and Calc,and see where they are at. It could be disastrous.. As you know,most species are pretty hard,but depending on swings like that result in what you're currently going thru.

Im using red sea blue bucket. When i got home i tested the salinity and it was 1.025. Alk went up to 9.8 from 9.0. Calcium went down to 400 from 420. Kinda just confused at this point. Im almost at the end of this bucket so maybe its time to start fresh. How hard is itbto just switch salts? Any suggestions?

So i ended up fragging the tenuis. I got 4 good frags off of it. Well see how they do, hopefully at least 1 or 2 will heal up. Pics tomorrow.

ouch, sorry to hear about the STN. SPS so fragile...

Yeah man. Its learning experience i guess. Hopefully i will get 1 good frag out of it and grow it back out.

Wow,that's crazy. I wonder wtf is going on... I actually got a 20 gallon bucket of Aquavitro Salinity from WWC this previous weekend,and I add 3 little cups (one ones that come with like NyQuil and whatnot) and the rest RSCP. I suggest just doing like 70-30 when switching.

How bad was it when you ended up getting home much worse than the picture ? If I meet up with you this weekend maybe I can grab a frag of it from you ;)

Wow,that's crazy. I wonder wtf is going on... I actually got a 20 gallon bucket of Aquavitro Salinity from WWC this previous weekend,and I add 3 little cups (one ones that come with like NyQuil and whatnot) and the rest RSCP. I suggest just doing like 70-30 when switching.

How bad was it when you ended up getting home much worse than the picture ? If I meet up with you this weekend maybe I can grab a frag of it from you ;)

I see.....I'm gonna be looking into different salts. I will 100% be testing Calcium/Alk on any saltwater that I mix from now on. I really want to find something that is just stable and always consistent with how it mixes up.

The colony was a little worse than what I posted. I was in such a frenzy to get it fragged I forgot to take a before picture, but here is the aftermath...

16274306782_894e4ba3e6_b.jpg20150113_183821 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

The one frag all the way on the right is probably the best and the one I am hoping to keep if it heals nicely. The other 3 frags are all multiple cuttings that I grouped together on the plugs. As of this morning, the 2 on the right were looking good. The 2 on the left both had 1 nub loosing tissue, so we'll have to see how they do. I honestly would let these frags heal up for a couple weeks before I try moving them, and that's if they pull through.

What was left of the mini-colony....

16087591568_c6dc888db7_b.jpg20150113_183801 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

You got these at Living Reef?

Yeah, they have gotten a couple large shipments of maricultured colonies in from Bali. Some pretty nice stuff, really wish this didn't happen as this mini colony was beautiful.

Seems like it might be a good thing to do. Maybe look into Tropic Marin and or SeaChem Reef Salt. Supposedly it mixes really well and all the guys in the Zeo forum use it.

True,I hear you. Completely understandable. Hopefully they don't decide they wanna RTN again and kick the bucket,I'd love a piece of that.

lilmatty5dimes

Oh man sorry to hear about the stn. I had a huge piece do that to me on an old tank. Hopefully those frags make it good luck with the recovery. Did you dip that piece before putting it in your tank or looking for AEFW? I find that maricultured are a lot more touchy and higher risk for the AEFW.

Well, unfortunately I have bad news. By the time I got home from work last night, 3 out of 4 of the frags were completely bare of tissue and the 4th was about half way there. I did take a really good look at the remaining tissue of the last piece to see if I could spot any pests and I did not. Pretty sure it was the spike in Alk that caused this....smh.

Parameters as of last night:

Calcium: 400(dosed 15ml to try to bring this back up)

Alk: still up at 9.8

Mag: 1300(dosed another 120ml of Tech M as the bryopsis still looked unaffected)

I'm not seeing much PE on the pink lemonade or the new blue mini colony. I am assuming this is due to the alk still being so high. I had some after a drop of Coral Vitalizer, but that's it. The tissue and color still look good on both, so hopefully they will be fine as the alk drops naturally.

Well in the wake of my most recent tragedy, I do have a bit of good news. It seems in the past couple days that I have had an explosion in pod population. Out of no where, last night, I noticed pods pretty much everywhere! I will take it as a good sign that the tank is maturing and moving forward.

Everything looked good in the tank last night. I'm starting to get ok PE back again on the SPS that I still have. I dosed another 100ml or so of Tech M last night, so hopefully I will start to see an effect on the bryopsis. I hope it is soon cause I only have about 80-100ml left in the bottle!

Damn man... Looks like a Doser might be in your foreseen future.. That sucks. I'm sorry to hear about your sps. If you need any let me know though,I've got a few pieces you can get for dirt cheap when things get more stable.

In other news,at least you get a assload of Zoa's for cheap tomorrow :D

Archived