Coral Vue Hydros

D Z's garage frag tank(formerly CAD 34G Mini)

D Z

Good shit man,hopefully everything goes smoothly this go around !!! That's for damn sure.

How many pucks did you have 2 or 4 ? Wait,that's the 8g isn't it ?!

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good shit man,hopefully everything goes smoothly this go around !!! That's for damn sure.

How many pucks did you have 2 or 4 ? Wait,that's the 8g isn't it ?!

Yup.... :ninja:

Well its been quite the weekend. The 8 gallon is now running in my kitchen and Im totally loving it there.

21164717786_2912cbec52_k.jpg20150906_102708 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

21190936015_822e43008a_k.jpg20150906_102801 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

I did a total deep clean, algae purge, WC, and rescape to the 34 and it came out pretty nice! Im excited to see what it turns into.

First I pulled out all the frags, rubble, and loose coral and put them in a 5050 bath of tank water and 3%peroxide. I pulled the other bigger rocks and target treated the turf algae and bubble algae with peroxide as well. The main rock with the big bush I pulled completely and ripped the algae off then dumped peroxide all over it. I then dumped about a cup of peroxide into the display with the pumps off and let all of this sit for about 20 minutes. Then a 15 gallon water change.

I also added back my rowaphos reactor and a bag of chemipure blue, and I switched to reef crystals to give that a try.

Lastly, I got some established rock from Alex B's sump and rescaped. In the end I almost doubled my total rock in the tank. The remaining algae remnants look to be dissintagrating. Well see if grows back after all of that. Oh and I also added some astrea snails and 2 strawberry conchs. Im hoping the conchs will eat any roots leftover in the sandbed.

Here are some aftermath pics and a pic of the quart of algae that came out of the tank!

21004120029_ec64165ce6_k.jpg20150905_232412 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

20569811633_74455f9899_k.jpg20150905_232403 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

20984972048_4966aeb3ef_k.jpg20150905_102125 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

The 8 looks great!

Good luck with the algae in the 34.

I had some red turf algae come in some mini conches and despite assurances from the seller, it spread on to the rocks. Peroxide knocked it back but wouldn't eradicate it. Maybe I needed the stronger peroxide.

With travel for work and not enough time, it all went downhill. As you have seen, I switched to a Nuvo 10 gallon and am doing softies, gorgs and a plate. Looking for some cool macros too. With just the Fire fish the bioload is low and hopefully water changes will be enough to keep things under control. I'm also considering a Blenny.

Keep fighting it - I'm sure you can beat it!

The 8 looks great!

Good luck with the algae in the 34.

I had some red turf algae come in some mini conches and despite assurances from the seller, it spread on to the rocks. Peroxide knocked it back but wouldn't eradicate it. Maybe I needed the stronger peroxide.

With travel for work and not enough time, it all went downhill. As you have seen, I switched to a Nuvo 10 gallon and am doing softies, gorgs and a plate. Looking for some cool macros too. With just the Fire fish the bioload is low and hopefully water changes will be enough to keep things under control. I'm also considering a Blenny.

Keep fighting it - I'm sure you can beat it!

Thanks bro. Got my fingers crossed, well see what hapoens. Ive been following your new 10 gallon. Its coming out nice!

Heres a couple more pics I took this morning. Most of the coral has been pretty pissed since the overhaul, but starting to look better this morning. Especially my wellso, which I havent seen this puffy in a long time!

21201740101_e42e4d4776_k.jpg20150906_123629 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

20571177004_27472e8e68_k.jpg20150906_120052 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

Man, this turf algae is some resilient shit! It only took about 4 days to start seeing new sprouts pop up...smh :unsure:

This was right after the purge

21109082449_40eda07503_b.jpg20150906_121029 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

This was a day or so ago

21295814165_a4854fae11_b.jpg2015-09-10_09-09-35 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

The worst was in the spot where the big bush used to be, as you can see above. I realized that there was a smaller piece of rock that I had mortared onto that base rock. The smaller piece is where the algae was steaming off of so I was able to get a flathead screwdriver in the tank and pry off the smaller piece. This took out about 95% of the roots that I had been seeing grow back, but there are still some others throughout the tank. :furious:

I really need to find something that will eat this shit to keep it at bay. I am thinking about ordering a refresher to my CUC, with a decent amount of turbos as I think I have seen them eating it. Still thinking about trying an urchin of some kind too. I would love to add a small tomini tang, but I really don't know if it will eat it. I may still give it a shot as I have always wanted one and can get some pretty small tomini's that won't outgrow the tank for at least a year or so.

Couple more quick pics...

Goni starting to open back up. This piece has been unhappy for quite a while.

21285374302_8ac6538356_b.jpg20150906_120248 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

Plate coral is looking rough after all the peroxide dosing. This was 3 or 4 days ago and it is starting to open back up a bit more now.

21109083119_d14699703f_b.jpg20150906_120338 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

Acans have been pretty happy!

20673285244_3071667982_b.jpg20150906_120204 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

Been putting some more thought into the CUC refresher. Here is an estimate of what is already in the tank:

Tons of Cerith snails, both Florida and dwarf

Tons of Nerite snails

3 or 4 Mexican Turbos

5 or 6 Astrea snails

2 strawberry conchs

Good amount of Nassarius

So for the refresher CUC, here is what I am thinking:

2 or 3 emerald crabs(I hate these guys from a bad experience in the past, but am thinking they will be good for the turf algae)

appx 6 more turbos

6 chitons

Tuxedo urchin

Still undecided on fish, but this is something I will be trying to figure out in the next couple weeks. I really want to do a baby tomini tang....

Hit the LFS today

....got the following:

For the 34
5 turbos
5 trochus
Lettuce nudi
5 blue leg hermits
....baby kole tang :wub:

So far, the tang is doing great and the best part is he actually appears to be eating a bit of the turf algae! The lettuce nudi is because I am seeing a combination of both turf and bryopsis roots starting to grow back, but mostly the turf algae. I also have noticed that the turbos and hermits seem to eat the turf algae but I just did not have enough of them to keep up. So I'm holding off with the urchin and emeralds for now to see what comes off today's additions.

As for everything else in the 34, the fish are doing great. The coral is all healed up for the most part except my zoas and goni. The extended h2o2 dip really beat the zoas up but they are healing, just slowly. The goni is also slowly recovering, but I think its going to be some time before it gets back to 100%. On the flip side, the majority of my lps has been looking amazing for the past 3 to 4 days! The past week has been quite interesting to see such improvements on a day to day basis.

I also moved my other smaller clown out of qt and into the nuvo 8, along with some ceriths, nerites, 1 hermit, and 1 turbo. Then at the lfs we picked up a tiny neon goby and a small cleaner shrimp. Plan for this will be to add a couple more tiny fish and some frags from the 34 once things start to heal up completely.

Pics to come....

Min photo dump from the weekend. Coral is continuing to look a little better each day. Let's hope this trend continues.

Acans and Wellso have just been looking amazing

21224978209_4b1d9a8fdb_h.jpg20150912_175607 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

21385623766_924ead9f7b_h.jpg20150912_005234 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

This lettuce nudi is a very cool creature. Quickly becoming one of my favorite things to watch in the tank. I have already seen it hanging out around some of the bryopsis roots...so fingers crossed...

21385621386_0520137e14_h.jpg20150912_175044 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

And a couple FTSs. The kole tang has been pretty skiddish when we walk up to the tank, but I was able to get it in the angled shot that I took from sitting on my bed. He is towards the bottom left.

21420279331_9e04af0ac6_h.jpg20150912_114609 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

21224976939_3807139a77_h.jpg20150912_202944 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

Starting to come back together man,looks good !!! Alex still have your sps ?

Yes he does, I actually have a couple pics that he has sent me....lemme find them. I am hoping I can get them back in here in the next month or 2, depending on how long it takes to see some stability and corraline growth.

Oh yeah ? Please do,I'd love to see how they look now. Sounds good man,can't wait to see this tank back in its prime.

I've gotten a few really nice acro's lately myself,pop on the thread and check 'em out !!

Oh yeah ? Please do,I'd love to see how they look now. Sounds good man,can't wait to see this tank back in its prime.

I've gotten a few really nice acro's lately myself,pop on the thread and check 'em out !!

Looking good bro! Some nice pieces. Im kinda envious of that free rouge mille.

Thanks man,I was looking in the mariculture tank,with the viewing box and saw that and the yellow piece,seeming I was buyin shit already,they tossed it in a bag for me :happydance:

I'm hoping to have the 7 gallon wet this weekend.... HOPEFULLY,we'll see though.

Thanks man,I was looking in the mariculture tank,with the viewing box and saw that and the yellow piece,seeming I was buyin shit already,they tossed it in a bag for me :happydance:

I'm hoping to have the 7 gallon wet this weekend.... HOPEFULLY,we'll see though.

That yellow piece is cool looking too. Any idea what it is?

I don't,they didn't have a name. They have 2 nice size colonies,fully yellow with burgundy/white polyps. Looks VERY similar to the RR Pink Floyd acro,same color polyps,body and branch formation.

My piece was buried under substrate and under a big frag disc.

Looking good man. Love that lettuce nudi. Is it eating the bryo? What else does it eat?

It seems to hang out A LOT in the areas near where the bryopsis is growing so I believe so. It definitely cannot keep up all on its own though. Not sure if it is really eating anything else...

Actually, I was taking some pics of it last night with my wife's Iphone.(wanted to try something different...man I really need a DSLR <_< ) I'll post them when I can get her to send me the full res images.

Did some water testing on Saturday:

Phos 0.00

Nitrate 2 to 3

Sal 1.025

Cal 460

Alk 9.6

Mag 1320

So not bad at all considering I have done 2 very large WC's with reef crystals in the past 2 weeks. Everything in the tank is looking really good, minus the handful of pieces that are still slowly recovering, but looking better each day. I have been dosing appx 2 ml of H2O2 daily, after my lights/skimmer/reactor shuts off for the night. The bryopsis has turned somewhat more pale and appears to be affected. Still unsure as to whether its growth has slowed as it has not been long enough to tell yet. Hoping that over time this will end up killing any exposed bryopsis and then keep the roots from growing back. Will keep you all updated.

For those of you who havn't seen it on Alex's page, this is my Pink Lemonade frag that has been healing and growing in his system for the past couple months. Can't wait for my tank to be ready to get this guy back....

21384879768_77d1b7da1a_b.jpghttps://farm1.staticflickr.com/598/21384879768_77d1b7da1a_b.jpg

And I believe this is the red wine acro that I got from ReefKid, but Alex will have to verify...

21385811019_4edd4f9f39_b.jpg

Glad you're making progress!

How's the nudibranch doing with all the flow? I had one in a pico tank with a canister filter and lily pipes and it got shredded on the intake.

It was pretty small, though.

Hot damn man,looking good !!! That Red Wine is crazy !!! Definitely doesn't look like the ones at LFO. Under 800w of halides,almost 180w of t5's and ReefBrites it's all deep red. Regardless it looks good brother. How's the rest of the sps look ?

Glad you're making progress!

How's the nudibranch doing with all the flow? I had one in a pico tank with a canister filter and lily pipes and it got shredded on the intake.

It was pretty small, though.

Haven't notice a problem. I was initially concerned as when I put it in the tank I had to really hold on to him, but once I got it to grab on to the rockwork, it hasn't seemed to have any trouble keeping itself attached. Mine is about 2" or so, not sure how small yours was.

Hot damn man,looking good !!! That Red Wine is crazy !!! Definitely doesn't look like the ones at LFO. Under 800w of halides,almost 180w of t5's and ReefBrites it's all deep red. Regardless it looks good brother. How's the rest of the sps look ?

I know bro!!! Looking really good. Everything looks good in Alex's system. Hopefully I will get to that point someday.

Here are the pics I promised.

21003857123_35d1844027_o.jpgIMG_6121 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

Who you lookin at!!?!?!?

21633942481_621300fefd_o.jpgIMG_6118 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

And a couple extra....if you haven't already figured it out, I'm obsessed with this Wellso.

21002178924_3580bdf266_o.jpgIMG_6117 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

21002167014_e8ee27c714_o.jpgIMG_6123 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

21633950041_40c584be76_o.jpgIMG_6114 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

Plate making a comeback

21437171248_9d68684285_o.jpgIMG_6115 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

Archived