inTank Media Baskets

D Z's garage frag tank(formerly CAD 34G Mini)

D Z

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ouch, sorry to hear about the algae issues. save what you can cuz you know you will be back soon with another kickass build.

So far ive been able to save everything. Ive lost some polyps of zoas but pretty much still have at least a frag of everything in the frag tank. Only a couple pieces atill left to transfer into thw frag tank. As for another build I already have a pretty good idea of what Im gonna downsize into....and I may have a couple things up my sleeve

How's the algae in the frag tank? Back under control?

Still a bit on sprouting on the glass but i think its calming down. I just added some purigen yesterday to try to combat the nitrates. Phosphates have been slowly chiming down. Well see how the next week goes..im hoping to see it all disappear.

Dude I feel your struggle on the algae,idk where mine came from but Jesus man,it's ridiculous. I finally bit the bullet and ordered a reactor and some more carbon and going to run that and gfo in hope to kill the algae. The heavier water changes and every couple of day dosage of hydrogen peroxide is making the algae turn white and slowly die off finally.

Dude I feel your struggle on the algae,idk where mine came from but Jesus man,it's ridiculous. I finally bit the bullet and ordered a reactor and some more carbon and going to run that and gfo in hope to kill the algae. The heavier water changes and every couple of day dosage of hydrogen peroxide is making the algae turn white and slowly die off finally.

That sucks bro. I know your pain. I hope the reactor helps. I tried that with the 34 and the algae didnt blink an eye...just kept on growing.

So tonight I had some free time. The plan was to check my nutrient levels and see if things were down in the range that I wanted. If so, I was going to move the last couple pieces of coral over, move the clowns over, make a screen top, and switch out the hang out for my canister filter.

Good news: nutrients were right where I wanted.(phos .06, trates about 5).

Bad news: I found a bunch of water around the base of the tank. I just cant catch a break. Tank is leaking. And to make matters worse, I had topped the tank off earlier without paying much attention and dropped the salinity down to 1.023 due to some water having leaked and not evap.

So the good news is my wife was at her sisters house and I had gotten my brotherinlaw into reefs a couple years ago. He didnt keep up with the hobby so he had a spare 10 gallon laying around. So I swapped 10G for 10G. His is a bit nicer than mine though, I think it might actually be low iron glass and its derimmed. Pain in the ass but it worked out in the end.

I need to get some tubing for the canister so that will have to wait for another night. And the clowns and coral will just have to wait as it just got too late. Plus I want to give the transfer a day or so to make sure nothing goes wrong.

Corals are looking happy in the 10G. If the algae returns what are your plans? Are there any Mexican turbo snails or algae munchers int he 10G?

Thanks Kat. Plan is to just keep spot treating with h2o2 and it seems to really be working now. The number of spot treatments ive had to do has really diminished over the past week or 2. Yes, there are a couple turbos in there as well as a couple small hermits. I still have 1 or 2 emeralds in the 34 that Im debating on whether to transfer into the 10 or not. Im aftaid they will go after the coral since its so clean...

Wow that goni in the background, very nice.

Thanks...that goni has been bulletproof. It has been completely closed up for weeks on a couple of occasions in the past due to some of my past issues but it always seems to come back. This frag tank is just spot on tho and it is looking better than ever. The color is intense. Ill try to gett a better picture of the goni.

Thanks Steven. Im using a 10 ml syringe. The good thing about the way i have the frag tank setup is everything is easily removable and it residing on my workbench in the garage. If I see a sprout of bryopsis on a frag plug or rubble, i just take it out and lay it on the bench and hit it with h2o2. I usually let it sit for 2 or 3 minutes and then straight back into the tank. Then about 2 days or so later the algae with have turned white and then will either get eaten or disintegrate on its own.

Let me know if you still wanted to work out a deal on those duplicate frags you were talking about!

Looking good man !!!! For the algae are you spot treating with a eye dropper and h2o2 or during water changes when the water is low ?

Okay,sounds good enough. My algae is not at bay but kinda at a stand still. I just got my reactor hooked up over the weekend with carbon and gfo and did a 2 gallon water change and may do another tonight. I also dipped majority of my frags in h2o2 and tank water for and our 45 seconds then dipped in clean fresh saltwater then back into the tank.

I will look when I get home and see what frags I've got. I know for sure 2-3 and maybe and our Acan or two if you want them.

Checked my tank and I've got a frag of Red People Eaters,Something or Others,some Kidd Redds,and 3 Acan frags you can get if you want them.

That is definitely NSFW coral pr0n. Doesn't even look real with all those colors, really amazing piece that turned out to be.

Haha thanks bro. I think I finally found a good app to use for my cell phone that actually lets me process the pics well eenough to represent true colors of the coral. My phone(LG G4) takes some inpressive photos and even lets me shoot in RAW. The Snapseed app lets you edit the raw images right on your phone and gives pretty much the same options as the mobile lightroom, except it is free.

Okay,sounds good enough. My algae is not at bay but kinda at a stand still. I just got my reactor hooked up over the weekend with carbon and gfo and did a 2 gallon water change and may do another tonight. I also dipped majority of my frags in h2o2 and tank water for and our 45 seconds then dipped in clean fresh saltwater then back into the tank.

I will look when I get home and see what frags I've got. I know for sure 2-3 and maybe and our Acan or two if you want them.

Checked my tank and I've got a frag of Red People Eaters,Something or Others,some Kidd Redds,and 3 Acan frags you can get if you want them.

Pmed ya

Those pictures are awesome, but I'm especially impressed about how you managed to score an upgraded 10g without spending any more or having to seek spousal consent :lol:

Your peroxide treatment approach is exactly the same as I've done in the past, and it seems to work really well. Just don't use it on SPS, and I've seen some corals that really don't like more than about 60 seconds with full strength.

CronicReefer

Haha thanks bro. I think I finally found a good app to use for my cell phone that actually lets me process the pics well eenough to represent true colors of the coral. My phone(LG G4) takes some inpressive photos and even lets me shoot in RAW. The Snapseed app lets you edit the raw images right on your phone and gives pretty much the same options as the mobile lightroom, except it is free.

Pretty awesome for a phone picture. I have the G3 so I'll have to try that snapseed app. Always loved this phones camera but had such a hard time with white balance under blue light.
  • 1 month later...

Archived