inTank Media Baskets

D Z's garage frag tank(formerly CAD 34G Mini)

D Z

How is it not a long-term solution? It's a 2.5" fish, it's not going to hit 10" overnight. Unless you're planning to keep this same tank for next decade or so, I think you'll be ok. :)

I guess that is true. If it were my only reason for starting over I probably would have taken a step back and considered it, but since there are a number of reasons it really doesn't change my mind. Maybe I will consider putting a foxface in when the tank is back up and running though. They are good for algae control? What else do they eat? Other nuisance algae?

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

Think I could get one in a 45 with not a lot of rock?

Well, it's a 2.5" fish lol.

I guess that is true. If it were my only reason for starting over I probably would have taken a step back and considered it, but since there are a number of reasons it really doesn't change my mind. Maybe I will consider putting a foxface in when the tank is back up and running though. They are good for algae control? What else do they eat? Other nuisance algae?

They'll literally eat anything they can. They'll scrape rocks for diatoms, even! My rabbit was the best fish purchase I've made.

IMG_8862.jpg

They'll literally eat anything they can. They'll scrape rocks for diatoms, even! My rabbit was the best fish purchase I've made.

I was thinking of getting a One Spot Foxface for my new 55G build but thought the tank would be too small considering I want a leopard wrasse and possibly a Kole Tang in there also (amongst other things). Not so concerned about the leopard wrasse, more so the tang and the foxface.

jedimasterben

I was thinking of getting a One Spot Foxface for my new 55G build but thought the tank would be too small considering I want a leopard wrasse and possibly a Kole Tang in there also (amongst other things). Not so concerned about the leopard wrasse, more so the tang and the foxface.

Nah, you're more than fine. #### the tang police :)

Hope everyone had a great 4th of July! I had a nice, quick trip down to South Florida to see my family. We had lots of fun.

In tank related news, I will be taking this tank down sometime in the near future. It will be a slow process, but I have plans to rebuild and start over. Here are the plans for now. This will be a LONG process, as I don't have a whole lot of free time to work on this, but eventually it will be nice.

First, I will be setting up my 8 gallon nuvo again, so I will have something temporary to look at and house some of my coral and fish. I am planning on trying to find some way to use the retro kit from Dave to light it, so this should turn out quite nice for a temp tank. My mandarin and a small clown that I am holding on to for a friend will be going in here, along with most of my zoas and softies.

The QT will continue running as well, and will house my larger clown pair.

As for the 34, I will be ripping out the false wall, drilling it and sumping it. Alex B has his old CAD lights sump that I will be buying and using for the 34. In the end, I should be around 50 gallons of total water volume, which will be very nice for stability. Also, I will be going from a 30 x 12 x 16 display to a 30 x 16 x 16 display, which I am very happy about. Also, all of the bryopsis infected dry rock will be tossed and replaced with some very nice quality live rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater, which I will be driving to Tampa to pick up so I can keep it fully submerged.

I had thought about moving the tank out of my bedroom and into the living room, but unfortunately, with our townhouse being tight for space, this just will not work. Alternatively, my wife and I have decided to try to make a custom armoir type piece of furniture to house the 34. I am planning on making it a very different and interesting type of "stand", with some cool features like a build in safe and liquor cabinet above the light and possibly a built in mini fridge for frozen foods and what not.

I will post pictures of the process when I can, as well as some renderings of the armoir stand whenever I get around to laying it out.

Wow, that stand sounds like it will be awesome! Although I'm sad about you having to take your tank down. But it does sound like it will be really awesome when all is said and done. I've been following your battle with bryopsis. How frustratingly heartbreaking.

So I almost also forgot to mention that when I was talking about having the 8 gallon back up long term that it would be more of my Wife's tank! I guess she is a little excited about that cause she rearranged the kitchen, dug the 8 gallon out of my garage, and sent me this pic a little while ago....

19447199666_f942b73ab5_b.jpgIMG_5646_2 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

cool!!! it will look awesome there!

I think you should be fine with all of those. With a 31.5 x 24 footprint, you can definitely do a kole tang. It will swim laps in that footprint and be happy as a pig in shit.

Wow, that stand sounds like it will be awesome! Although I'm sad about you having to take your tank down. But it does sound like it will be really awesome when all is said and done. I've been following your battle with bryopsis. How frustratingly heartbreaking.

cool!!! it will look awesome there!

Thanks stella! Did you see the 3d render of the armoire? I think that even though this all sets me back somewhat, I should be able to rebound quite quickly. This tank has never really stabilized, have not had much growth at all. I'm hoping that once I get it back up and running that it will be the opposite and take off quickly.

New nano, needs new Tide :)

Well, for now I am going to mount the retro that I never put into the ATI up under the bottom of that cabinet. Eventually, though, I will actually want to retro the ATI when I get closer to setting the 34 back up. Then I may decide to do that, if the wife wants to keep the 8 going long term.

Thanks stella! Did you see the 3d render of the armoire? I think that even though this all sets me back somewhat, I should be able to rebound quite quickly. This tank has never really stabilized, have not had much growth at all. I'm hoping that once I get it back up and running that it will be the opposite and take off quickly.

Yes! It is going to be awesome. I can't wait to see it when you build it! I think your whole plan with sump etc will be great. You could always do a display fuge in part of your sump and cut out a little window in one of the doors so you can see it ;)

Yes! It is going to be awesome. I can't wait to see it when you build it! I think your whole plan with sump etc will be great. You could always do a display fuge in part of your sump and cut out a little window in one of the doors so you can see it ;)

A fuge is definitely in the plans. Not so sure about the viewing window. I doubt that will fit into the wifey's mental image of what it will look like when finished.

A fuge is definitely in the plans. Not so sure about the viewing window. I doubt that will fit into the wifey's mental image of what it will look like when finished.

Fair enough :) :) that will be great to have a fuge!! So excited to see this all set up! I know, I know. Patience!

lilmatty5dimes

Dang that sucks but doesn't. I think you'll enjoy the drilled tank a lot better. Friend has a 34g solona drilled for $150 I keep eyeing. It looks great. D8198DD5-CB66-44C9-85AC-1F6927D034FC_zps

I had to do the same thing with my 12g cadlights and tear the false wall out. Makes such a big differences. Sps dom would be awesome. Hobbyist in Orlando are bringing in some hot sps.

HarryPotter

Dang that sucks but doesn't. I think you'll enjoy the drilled tank a lot better. Friend has a 34g solona drilled for $150 I keep eyeing. It looks great. D8198DD5-CB66-44C9-85AC-1F6927D034FC_zps

I had to do the same thing with my 12g cadlights and tear the false wall out. Makes such a big differences. Sps dom would be awesome. Hobbyist in Orlando are bringing in some hot sps.

Bring some of that SPS love down south to Miami!

lilmatty5dimes

Bring some of that SPS love down south to Miami!

I know a big sps guy in Sebastian. Takes trips down south.

There is no shortage of sps, or corals in general in South Florida. It is easily the second busiest area when it comes to this hobby. South Fl and SoCal is where everything comes in.

There is no shortage of sps, or corals in general in South Florida. It is easily the second busiest area when it comes to this hobby. South Fl and SoCal is where everything comes in.

Pretty much I'm SOL in Connecticut :) I got over the fear of buying in the Internet pretty quickly!

Yup. People in Fl don't know how blessed they are. There is easily 50 LFS from Miami to Orlando. Some people don't even have 1!

Yup. People in Fl don't know how blessed they are. There is easily 50 LFS from Miami to Orlando. Some people don't even have 1!

I'm one of those ones! Well, we have a semi-decent one but it is an hour and 10 minutes away.

And super expensive.

Thanks man. I am definitely looking forward to the benefits of having a sump.

Amen to that!!! We're also lucky to have awesome guys like you growing amazing coral out of their living room!

So I got a little work down over the weekend.

Got the the nuvo 8 all cleaned up and the light mounted under the cabinet.

19665024565_0c5c9f966e_b.jpg20150710_114808 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

Then, I got to work on getting the light all wired up and running. I felt like it came out great!

19042462214_92038b7acf_b.jpg20150711_001836_HDR by cchsoracle, on Flickr

19638881206_b21a5e27d5_b.jpg20150711_081020 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

Until, I realized that 1 of my channels wasnt running. I think I tried to cram it all into too small of a project box and fried one of the drivers.....so a new driver and a slightly larger project box will be coming in a couple days.

19669552831_d7dfdae9e4_b.jpg20150712_211115 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

Also, figured I would do a little photo dump on some coral. It's been a while since I have posted anything as everything has just looked soso, but it's all starting to look better. At least all the coral is happy for now, for the most part, but you can see the bryopsis starting to take off....

I think those corals are looking good! And the NUVO 8 IS BACK! That was the first thread I read from start to finish on NR - LOVED it.

I think those corals are looking good! And the NUVO 8 IS BACK! That was the first thread I read from start to finish on NR - LOVED it.

Thanks Stella! Yes, the Nuvo 8 is back! My replacement driver will be here Thursday...then we'll be rockin and rollin. Already have a bag of figi pink ready to go and this piece off rock that has been sitting in my qt for a couple months. Im thinking about standing it up on it's side and calling it a day.

19683799752_ebc24391b6_k.jpg20150714_110759 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

So Ben, I gave this more thought and I am considering it as a short term option. Instead of tearing my tank down now and taking forever to rebuild it, I could keep it running while I build my new stand and piece together all other equipment for the rebuild. The only way I can make this happen, though, is if I can find something that will keep the bryopsis in check for the time being, cause it's getting out of control at this point. So, what do you think the chances are that this guy would work?

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+3&ddid=272800

jedimasterben

So Ben, I gave this more thought and I am considering it as a short term option. Instead of tearing my tank down now and taking forever to rebuild it, I could keep it running while I build my new stand and piece together all other equipment for the rebuild. The only way I can make this happen, though, is if I can find something that will keep the bryopsis in check for the time being, cause it's getting out of control at this point. So, what do you think the chances are that this guy would work?

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+3&ddid=272800

Should be about the same. All rabbits are hit and miss, but the majority of them will eat any and all algae. :)

Archived