inTank Media Baskets

D Z's garage frag tank(formerly CAD 34G Mini)

D Z

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I.LOVE.IT.ALREADY!!!! Gonna start another thread for the 8 or update the old one ?!

Ehh Probably start a new thread. I'll probably also start a new thread for the 34 whenever it is rebuilt and running again.

I guess I never posted about it here, but I do have some great news. This has to be one of my biggest accomplishments with this tank so far....its nice to finally have something good happen.

My mandarin is now eating frozen!!! I just noticed it the other day. I fed the tank with a combo of cyclops and Larry's reef frenzy and noticed he was swimming the water column. When I looked closer, I could see that he had his mouth open, gobbling up everything that he could. I'm guessing it was mostly the cyclops that he was eating, but that's good enough for me!

I guess I never posted about it here, but I do have some great news. This has to be one of my biggest accomplishments with this tank so far....its nice to finally have something good happen.

My mandarin is now eating frozen!!! I just noticed it the other day. I fed the tank with a combo of cyclops and Larry's reef frenzy and noticed he was swimming the water column. When I looked closer, I could see that he had his mouth open, gobbling up everything that he could. I'm guessing it was mostly the cyclops that he was eating, but that's good enough for me!

That's awesome!!! You needed this win! But I also like your idea of keeping this tank running while you build your stand and such. Which I can't wait to see :)

• 2 weeks later...

I hadn't clean my glass in quite a while. The tank has just been on autopilot lately...trying to let it be, keep my hands out, and ignore the algae. It seems to be paying off too cause my coral has been looking great.

The glass had gotten pretty dirty...bad enough that my magnet cleaner couldn't cut it. Decided to give the magic eraser a shot and it works great at getting tough algae off your glass!

Here's a couple quick cell phone shots....

20022133672_1c5ea16c6e_k.jpg20150726_123719 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

19843322139_98a79d6f4e_k.jpg20150726_123611 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

19408963083_74c99d01ba_k.jpg20150726_123655 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

This goni has been closed up and pissed for a while but is finally starting to open back up.

20035227981_78ff6e07c6_k.jpg20150726_123626 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

Happy happy acans through the jungle of algae....

19841942750_4e6befad2e_k.jpg20150726_123759 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

And a quick FTS20003706186_63efb5e00b_k.jpg20150726_123516 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

• 2 weeks later...

OK sooooo, new plan. Turns out this stuff is definitely not bryopsis, but what I believe is a type of turf algae. Unfortunately, that's not much better, but I have a new plan of attack, and it does not include breaking the tank down.

For the past month or so, I have barely looked at or touched the tank. I have just been leaving it be, hoping the coral would really start to thrive, regardless of the algae. It did to a certain point, but the tank has still had some ups and down, bacteria blooms, etc. Therefore, I have decided to still do a reboot, but just not breaking it down and rebuilding.

So here is the plan:

1) Big water change, probably somewhere around 75%. And I am switching away from the blue bucket salt and going to reef crystals.

2) Pluck/manually remove as much algae out as I possible can.

3) Start running my phosban reactor again to try to keep nutrients down. I just ordered a 250ml bottle of rowaphos. I plan to start with 1/4 cup and see how it goes.

4) Add more CUC/nutrient removal. I plan to try a handful of Astreas, a couple chitons, a pencil urchin, a couple cowries, and a couple macros that actually look good. We'll see if any of them go after the remaining algae.

Then, if I am successful with keeping the algae at bay for a month or so, I plan to rescape. I want to add some LR to hopefully balance the tank some more. If the algae comes back even after 1 - 4 above, I plan to just completely switch out my LR for new LR which I will cycle/cook in a tub in the garage.

I still plan on doing the retro on the ATI at some point, just want to get this algae taken care of first. Then, once everything is back in order, I will try adding some of my SPS again.

Regarding the new rock scape: I have been in love with Hey's tank, not gonna lie. I love how natural it looks. Im thinking about doing somethins similar, and I really hope he doesnt mind. My idea is to have a sloping "mountain", but on the right side. I will have to figure out how to make this work with my return, but I don't think it will be too hard. I still plan to use the mag rock as a shelf/overhang coming out the left side of the "mountain", so that is another thing to figure into it. Lastly, I want to have one small rock in the sand on the left side of the tank, which will be dedicated to a BTA that will hopefully host my clowns.

Sorry for such a long post, but let me know what you all think.

We have a pencil urchin in Jeff's "monster tank". The only thing I did notice was it eats everything. Coral included!

So still no wascally wabbit?

I have just heard so many contradicting things regarding rabbits eating this algae, especially now that I have narrowed it down to some form of turf algae. Also, I really don't think its my end all solution as I doubt it will be able to get the roots, and that's if it does have an appetite for it. And that doesn't even mention the fact that a rabbit will eventually outgrow the tank. Also, I already am planning on rescaping so it just seems to me that my plan above is the better choice.

We have a pencil urchin in Jeff's "monster tank". The only thing I did notice was it eats everything. Coral included!

Really, what kind of coral has it gone for. I know they are notorious for picking up loose pieces of coral and walking around with them on their backs, but not eating coral.

Maybe a tuxedo urchin is a better way to go.

I have just heard so many contradicting things regarding rabbits eating this algae, especially now that I have narrowed it down to some form of turf algae. Also, I really don't think its my end all solution as I doubt it will be able to get the roots, and that's if it does have an appetite for it. And that doesn't even mention the fact that a rabbit will eventually outgrow the tank. Also, I already am planning on rescaping so it just seems to me that my plan above is the better choice.

Really, what kind of coral has it gone for. I know they are notorious for picking up loose pieces of coral and walking around with them on their backs, but not eating coral.

Maybe a tuxedo urchin is a better way to go.

oops! Missed this. It ate some sort of brain coral that was on a piece of LR that we picked up at the LFS and also ate a toadstool! I was surprised. But they're really cool urchins to watch. Eats a TON of macro. I have to put a handful chaeto or some form of macro in pretty much every other day. And maybe I just got a really odd one that decided to eat coral and/or maybe I didn't put in enough algae in the beginning!

How goes everything else?

oops! Missed this. It ate some sort of brain coral that was on a piece of LR that we picked up at the LFS and also ate a toadstool! I was surprised. But they're really cool urchins to watch. Eats a TON of macro. I have to put a handful chaeto or some form of macro in pretty much every other day. And maybe I just got a really odd one that decided to eat coral and/or maybe I didn't put in enough algae in the beginning!

How goes everything else?

Ehh its going.....my salt, rowaphos, and replacement DI resin get here today. Planning on trying to do a big water change, pluck turf algae, and get the reactor going again at some point. My kids are at my moms for the week, so you would think I would have plenty of time.....but instead my wife and I are in overdrive trying to get some projects done. Therefore, it may have to wait until next week..... :furious:

On another side note, I am feeling like a total old guy. One of the "projects" for the week is trading in the cars for new ones that are more functional.....which means I will be going from a sports car to a minivan....not exactly pleased :mellow:

Dude...Your wife is supposed to drive the minivan...not you

Well, luckily, the finance guy at Toyota of Orlando was a total dick and wanted to do nothing but argue with me so I'm still sporing the Genesis for now!

Well, luckily, the finance guy at Toyota of Orlando was a total dick and wanted to do nothing but argue with me so I'm still sporing the Genesis for now!

Lol...how did the weekend project go buddy?

Lol...how did the weekend project go buddy?

Man, lemme tell you.....not a single thing went to plan last week. The chalkboard itself came out nice, but when I went to put it up on the wall and frame it out, I realized just how out of skew that wall is. The light switch that it was supposed to fit under is so crooked that my moldings wont fit so I back to the "chalk board" to see how to make it work. I think I may end up moving the light switch up a little, which I probably should do anyways as it really does look bad being so uneven.

Here is a pic of the chalkboard after 2 coats of paint.(We ended up doing 4 coats total) It's huge! 10' x 3'....wish I could have a tank with that footprint! :lol:

20686843861_67ddbba388_b.jpgIMG_7527 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

PS September 1st is coming quick....you ready?!?!?!

Looks cool! My kids would have enjoyed something like that when they were younger. Now all they want to do is ah COD.

I think im ready!!...atleast as ready as you can be to bring a 300 gallon aquarium home :o

• 2 weeks later...

Ehh its going.....my salt, rowaphos, and replacement DI resin get here today. Planning on trying to do a big water change, pluck turf algae, and get the reactor going again at some point. My kids are at my moms for the week, so you would think I would have plenty of time.....but instead my wife and I are in overdrive trying to get some projects done. Therefore, it may have to wait until next week..... :furious:

On another side note, I am feeling like a total old guy. One of the "projects" for the week is trading in the cars for new ones that are more functional.....which means I will be going from a sports car to a minivan....not exactly pleased :mellow:

LOL, so I have had my new salt, rowaphos, and replacement DI resin for 2 weeks now....probably about time I actually do something with it right? Getting it all set up tonight to make new water, clean out the mixing container that I havn't used in like 2 months, and do a very large water change tomorrow!

Be like Nike and just do it mane !!! How's everything going ?!

Lol not bad buddy. Did some testing tonight just to see where things are at...getting ready to hit the garage now to set up for a water change tomorrow.

Nitrate 0

Phosphate 0

Calcium 430

Alk 9.8

Mag 1600

Sal 1.027

So, not bad considering i havent tested or done anything to the tank in 6 or 7 weeks i think. So i def gotta get the salinity back down. The nutrients are probably 0 due to the turf algae soaking it all up. Therefore, when i pluck it all out tomorrow im gonna throw the rowaphos reactor back in to hopefully take the place of the algae and restrict it from growing back. Sounds like a good plan in theory but well see if it actually works. Still really itconsidering just cooking all new rock and rebooting, but hopefully this will keep things in check until then....

So, frustrating night last night.....

I was so excited to actually get my hands wet last night. I haven't touched the tank in over a month and it really needs a good cleaning. So like I said, Wednesday night, I hit the garage and started to prepare for a WC. I wanted to change my DI resin in the RODI because it was starting to look orangish, like it does when its time to change it. My water was still reading 0ppm TDS, but I figured it since I was already switching salts and starting fresh, I would go ahead and start with new DI resin as well.

Fast forward to last night, I test my new batch of RODI as I am getting ready to start mixing for a WC and my TDS is around 5-6ppm.....WTF? Brand new DI resin....smh :rant: So short story is I did not get to do a WC last night and now I have to scramble to find some new DI resin locally before I run out of good water for top offs. Luckily, when I emptied the old water out of my brute before changing the DI resin, I kept about 3 gallons. I just seem to have the worst luck in this hobby.

Ended up ordering a full rodi replacement kit from brs just to be safe. Should be here Tuesday. I think im gonna get a head start on things and pull some algae out and clean up some frag plugs tonight. I definitely need to clean the glass at least...maybe ill take a couple pictures after depending on how things look.

I also changed out 3 bulbs on the ati last night. I noticed a considerable difference in output so maybe that has been a contributing factor to issues as well.

Road to recovery.....

Got my rodi filter replacement kit yesterday. Switched out all 3 chambers last night, and this morning we were back to having a 30 gallon brute full of 0tds water!!!

Water change scheduled for Friday!

Archived