inTank Media Baskets

Storm Controller : HOW TO & Help

DaveFason

I'm having an issue here that seems to be getting worse: some times my light will very quickly come on and off multiple times for a second. After this sometimes the controller is fine, other times it's frozen and the time is all messed up (unintelligible). Other times it freezes without much warning. Usually this seems to happen when my kids are running around my tank or me grabbing the stand. It seems to be caused by vibration, which makes me think a loose connection. It used to be fine for a long time, but now it happens more frequently. Worried this my damage my prized NanoBox LEDs!

Do I need a new controller?

Shoot me an email with what type of unit this is. Thanks.

-Dave

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Hi

I haver notice that me storm x controller's ramp time stay's at 255 Minutes. Is this normal? I cannot change this?

Regards

Jacques

You should be able to change this. Contact ben@coralux.net

• 6 months later...

Got it from Rapidled, had an option for a temp probe. It has the port for it on the bottom next to where you plug in the leds. The only option on the controller is to change it from Fahrenheit to celcious

So what's the purpose of the temp probe? I just installed a storm and got the temp probe but don't see any temp display option

It should be displayed on the main screen. It could be dependent on what firmware you are running on the Storm however.

-Dave

• 2 weeks later...

So I got all the stuff I need to update the storm controller but not sure how to do it. I downloaded the firmware. Watched the video on YouTube still lost. Where do I put the files and how do I get them to the controller?

• 1 month later...

can just one of the channels 4 or 5 be set for fan control ?

Or do you have to use both at the same time ?

Does there need to be any type of driver for the 4 and 5 channels ?

can just one of the channels 4 or 5 be set for fan control ?

Or do you have to use both at the same time ?

Does there need to be any type of driver for the 4 and 5 channels ?

What are you trying to do? The old NanoBox units do not have fan control.

-Dave

Sorry ,this is a DIY lighting . I just wanted to know about the storm controllers fan control. I do have the storm ,it's regular not the X.

It will have fan control for both channels 4/5 when turned on.

• 2 months later...
blaksheep67

I have a Mini Tide older model with the V3 Moonlight upgrade. I had a little trouble getting it started but Dave helped me figure things out. This past Friday my lights started acting funny, no change in sunset, sunrise or night. the light is currently on day mode and the moonlight is the only light on. Any help would be appreciated  as my tank has gone dark since Friday and I do not have a spare light.

• 5 months later...

Hello @DaveFason, I picked up a used DUO V2 unit and love it. I have been playing around with the light setting via the storm controller. I wanted to know how you came up with these ideal settings? I wanted to run my lights on the blue side and I don't understand how this might impact par levels. Would I run into trouble running the lights at CH1 - 145 CH2 - 245? Any insight would help. Thanks 

SET PWM ( DAY ) :

This is your day time setting. Click on this and CH1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 will appear. On standard Nano Box units you will have Channel 1 ( BLUE ) and Channel 2 ( White ). Set this to your taste. Normally I will set this to what I think looks good but this is completely subjective. If you purchased a moonlight channel, set your day setting to 0.

• Tide Recommended setting : CH1 - 140 - CH2 - 100
  • DUO Recommended setting : CH1 - 160 - CH2 - 120
  • QUAD Recommended setting : CH1 - 160 - CH2 - 120
12 hours ago, vaughnking said:

Hello @DaveFason, I picked up a used DUO V2 unit and love it. I have been playing around with the light setting via the storm controller. I wanted to know how you came up with these ideal settings? I wanted to run my lights on the blue side and I don't understand how this might impact par levels. Would I run into trouble running the lights at CH1 - 145 CH2 - 245? Any insight would help. Thanks 

SET PWM ( DAY ) :

This is your day time setting. Click on this and CH1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 will appear. On standard Nano Box units you will have Channel 1 ( BLUE ) and Channel 2 ( White ). Set this to your taste. Normally I will set this to what I think looks good but this is completely subjective. If you purchased a moonlight channel, set your day setting to 0.

• Tide Recommended setting : CH1 - 140 - CH2 - 100
  • DUO Recommended setting : CH1 - 160 - CH2 - 120
  • QUAD Recommended setting : CH1 - 160 - CH2 - 120

Glad you are enjoying! 

If you like a nice blue light try CH1 ( Blue ) - 200-240 and CH2 ( Whites ) 100-140. Depending on your coral type and tank. 

-Dave

9 minutes ago, DaveFason said:

Glad you are enjoying! 

If you like a nice blue light try CH1 ( Blue ) - 200-240 and CH2 ( Whites ) 100-140. Depending on your coral type and tank. 

-Dave

Thanks! 

Mostly LPS and low light SPS! 

- Alex