Coral Vue Hydros

Storm Controller : HOW TO & Help

DaveFason

Figured I would add a little tip to this. I recently had an issue with my Storm not saving the lightning and cloud frequency settings. Everytime I would set it and then exit settings, it would revert back to 0. After talking to Ben ad Corolux, he was able to help me fix it. It was actually quite an easy fix as well.

To fix the issue, you just have to go into settings, go to the cloud frequency and set it to whatever you want. Then, without exiting the settings, continue to click another 10 or so times. Basically, setting it to the same frequency over and over again, about 5 or 6 times. I tried it last night and it worked like a charm. Now I have cloud and lightning again!

• Like 1

Figured I would add a little tip to this. I recently had an issue with my Storm not saving the lightning and cloud frequency settings. Everytime I would set it and then exit settings, it would revert back to 0. After talking to Ben ad Corolux, he was able to help me fix it. It was actually quite an easy fix as well.

To fix the issue, you just have to go into settings, go to the cloud frequency and set it to whatever you want. Then, without exiting the settings, continue to click another 10 or so times. Basically, setting it to the same frequency over and over again, about 5 or 6 times. I tried it last night and it worked like a charm. Now I have cloud and lightning again!

Thanks for this. Really odd that it would do this. Perhaps something Ben can figure and fix.

-Dave

I love watching the "sky" darken as the cloud rolls across!! Great system my corals are growing like crazy!

Post a few photos when you have a chance.

-Dave

• 1 month later...
SomeWonderfulNonsense

Hi so my controller is currently reading (on the box):

Time: 165:165:8

for time and even though its midday it's running night time lights. When I try to change the time it moves in increments of 5. Any idea how to get it back into military time from whatever its in right now?

Hi so my controller is currently reading (on the box):

Time: 165:165:8

for time and even though its midday it's running night time lights. When I try to change the time it moves in increments of 5. Any idea how to get it back into military time from whatever its in right now?

Unplug and blow into Storm case ( or take apart ). Sounds like something is shorting. Also send Ben a quick email. CC me. ben@coralux.net

-D

• 3 weeks later...

for some reason my controller is not working to the auto times i have put in, i am using key west longitude and latitude and for my gmt I'm using -5 and its still on dark mode it hasn't changed any suggestions on why it might not working thanks !

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I am just now setting up my after almost a year of having it sitting on the box since I haven't set the tank that it will be going onto yet. Well reading through this and some of my setting options are different, I do not have an option for sunrise/sunset in the main section and I can't get the auto function to work even after putting in the lat/long I want. I haven't got a clue what I'm doing wrong.

jedimasterben

Your controller probably has a different firmware. That's the cool thing about Arduino-based controllers like the Storm, it's super easy to make changes and give them additional functionality.

• Like 1

Next question is, is there a way for it to do auto with the current firmware. Because I was fairly certain the auto function was supposed to work on the firmware my controller has.

And even with the FTDI cable I still have to find the little pin thing and then solder it onto the board.

Ok, I guess after getting only 4hrs of sleep then being awake for 18hrs wasn't the best for trying to figure out how to use the storm controller. Just went and played with it some more and figured it out.

My main issue ended up being this. Since I work 3-midnight I tried to set up the controller to have the lights come on at 6pm and then sunrise to start at 2:30am, I am guessing the controller couldn't figure this out so it stayed in night mode the whole time, I changed my lighting schedule from that to 12pm-8:30pm and it is working fine now.

Well I wake up around noon and go to bed at around 3am, I was first attempting to have the lights on when I got home after work but that schedule wouldn't work for the controller. I also don't want the lights turning on before I wake up for the day because it is in my room and would most likely wake me up.