Coral Vue Hydros

Storm Controller : HOW TO & Help

DaveFason

jedimasterben

Thank you Mr. Ben. If I shutdown the Storm, will the storm lose its timer ability. In other words, if I use a remote shutoff to power down the storm for 5 hours at night. Will the Storm still ramp up at 7AM the next morning........as long as I turned it back on before I went to bed or will it ramp up 5 hours later than normal to reflect the down time?

I would guess this depends on what powers the timer.

The Storm has an onboard battery for the RTC that should last a few years without power, so it should be ok. :)

jedimasterben

It sure will. However I am not sure on the longevity of the battery life on the storm while doing this.

The battery should keep for many years even if its losing power daily, computers do it the same way :)

I don't think the battery will be a problem but there may be concern with 'cold booting' the software on a steady basis. In my experience controls such as this do best after being set and left alone. For instance, getting shut down in the middle of a cloud cycle may or may not cause software problems.

Only time and experience will tell and I'll occasionally report in...I always do :-)

• Like 1

I don't think the battery will be a problem but there may be concern with 'cold booting' the software on a steady basis. In my experience controls such as this do best after being set and left alone. For instance, getting shut down in the middle of a cloud cycle may or may not cause software problems.

Only time and experience will tell and I'll occasionally report in...I always do :-)

Report back!

Is it possible to set a time length on the night mode, as I want to only run my blues at high power for approx 2 hours at night, just to get that pop?

BTW just set up my lights with the controller this weekend and love it already.

jedimasterben

Is it possible to set a time length on the night mode, as I want to only run my blues at high power for approx 2 hours at night, just to get that pop?

BTW just set up my lights with the controller this weekend and love it already.

No, but you can use an offset for your blue channel to come on before and stay on after the white channel. I think it's called ramp delay.

• 1 month later...

I've searched but couldn't find an answer to this....

Without a moonlight channel, and with night set to something less than 30, I'm assuming the controller will determine the relative night values based on the moon phase such that a full moon will be 100% of whatever value you chose, and the rest of the phase will drop from there. I understand that with it set to less than 30, values will be repeated for several nights, so for example if the value is 10, I would expect a 3 night repeat for a given value.

Does that make sense?

• Like 1

I've searched but couldn't find an answer to this....

Without a moonlight channel, and with night set to something less than 30, I'm assuming the controller will determine the relative night values based on the moon phase such that a full moon will be 100% of whatever value you chose, and the rest of the phase will drop from there. I understand that with it set to less than 30, values will be repeated for several nights, so for example if the value is 10, I would expect a 3 night repeat for a given value.

Does that make sense?

Correct. If you simply want a moonlight set CH1 ( blue ) to 1. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey I was wondering if there is a different firmware available for the storm controller. I really want something that will allow me to set channel levels manually for the hours of the day instead of setting ramp and delay times. Made a quick chart of the effect I'd like to go for. Slow ramp on the blue channel throughout the day, and a quick blast of the white channel around midday. Think like the actual sun.

rm8Xz2G.png

Hey I was wondering if there is a different firmware available for the storm controller. I really want something that will allow me to set channel levels manually for the hours of the day instead of setting ramp and delay times. Made a quick chart of the effect I'd like to go for. Slow ramp on the blue channel throughout the day, and a quick blast of the white channel around midday. Think like the actual sun.

rm8Xz2G.png

For the Storm you would have to program yourself for changes like this.

Have you checked out the new Bluefish Mini I am selling?

-Dave

For the Storm you would have to program yourself for changes like this.

Have you checked out the new Bluefish Mini I am selling?

-Dave

I've only looked into it a little bit. Would the Bluefish allow for this level of customization? I'd hate to have to upgrade the storm already being that I've not even had it for a month yet.

I've only looked into it a little bit. Would the Bluefish allow for this level of customization? I'd hate to have to upgrade the storm already being that I've not even had it for a month yet.

Drop me an email Grant.

-D

• 1 month later...

Hi so my controller is currently reading (on the box):

Time: 165:165:8

for time and even though its midday it's running night time lights. When I try to change the time it moves in increments of 5. Any idea how to get it back into military time from whatever its in right now?

Did this get solved? I have the same issue :( I am unable to set the clock...

Did this get solved? I have the same issue :( I am unable to set the clock...

Can you copy myself and Ben from Coralux on this? ben@coralux.net

-Dave

Can you copy myself and Ben from Coralux on this? ben@coralux.net

-Dave

Problem solved by unplugging everything and plugging it back in. I think the issue was that I didn't have the controller hooked up to the right pins and changed them without taking out the power supply.

Thanks for your response!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
quackenbush

Received my small retro kit yesterday for a NanoCube 24. I found these directions very useful, although sometimes my settings did not seem to take the first time and I had to go back through the settings 2-3 times to check and double check them.

At a minimum, I like to check on the tank in the mornings and then work at home in the evenings with the tank in view, so I set a sunrise at 7am and a sunset at 9:30pm with a 2 hour ramp and a 1 hour ramp delay. Everything seems to be working. I'll give a shot at installation over the weekend and see how it goes.

• Like 1

Received my small retro kit yesterday for a NanoCube 24. I found these directions very useful, although sometimes my settings did not seem to take the first time and I had to go back through the settings 2-3 times to check and double check them.

At a minimum, I like to check on the tank in the mornings and then work at home in the evenings with the tank in view, so I set a sunrise at 7am and a sunset at 9:30pm with a 2 hour ramp and a 1 hour ramp delay. Everything seems to be working. I'll give a shot at installation over the weekend and see how it goes.

Looking forward to it!

• 2 weeks later...
quackenbush

I changed the settings on my controller yesterday and now it keeps going "dark" in the middle of the day cycle. Is this a known issue with a known fix?

I changed the settings on my controller yesterday and now it keeps going "dark" in the middle of the day cycle. Is this a known issue with a known fix?

Can't say that I have that issue with my storm controller.

Ramp and delay just modify how long it takes the lights to go from 0% - 100% and the delay in one channel reaching peak power vs another channel reaching peak. With the latter being the ability to give you more blue in the first 1 hour of the ramp while the second hour of the ramp is your fade into/out from full light.

I'm not sure what you have done that makes it go dark mid day.

Can you shoot me over your settings?

• 5 months later...

Having trouble with my storm when unplugged my LEDs are really bright when I plug the storm back into my LEDs they go off any at 100% they are barely on. Any advice?

What unit do you have? It sounds like there is a grounding issue.

-Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having an issue here that seems to be getting worse: some times my light will very quickly come on and off multiple times for a second. After this sometimes the controller is fine, other times it's frozen and the time is all messed up (unintelligible). Other times it freezes without much warning. Usually this seems to happen when my kids are running around my tank or me grabbing the stand. It seems to be caused by vibration, which makes me think a loose connection. It used to be fine for a long time, but now it happens more frequently. Worried this my damage my prized NanoBox LEDs!

Do I need a new controller?