Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Mark's 150 (NanoBox Retro)

markalot

150reef.thumb.jpg.9a0d5e3b1c7adf5867516e6eabe2d471.jpgFTS's

December 2017

493Xm5a.jpg

May 2017, tank finally back into pretty darn good shape.  Slimer and purple stylo have grown just a bit.

Y07WWHB.jpg?2

Ouch. Over a year later.

October 2016

kvGzUI0h.jpg

September 2015

t7DgfQ.jpg

July 2015

2RyAP1.jpg

May 2015

WXptKX.jpg

March 2015

jItb5c.jpg

November 2014

xrDSQm.jpg

October 2014
kB0jNZ.jpg

September 2014
OnfD66.jpg

August 2014
U9Zddi.jpg

July 2014
eaqo.jpg

Here we go.

After almost a year of having a big upgrade approved I finally pulled the trigger on a large tank. This will be my first and last big tank.

I had been trying to decide between a 150 and a 180. The 180 is 24 inches wide which greatly increases aquascaping options, but I've always preferred taller tanks. What finally sealed the deal was simple physics. Even with handles removed a 180 gallon tank and stand will not fit into the basement without removing the entire door. I'm not a DIY'er and the wife would have nothing to do with door removal so the choice of the 150 was set.

The tank and stand will arrive Sunday evening.

Equipment List:

• Marineland/Perfecto 150 gallon (72x18x27) tank with dual corner Durso overflows and glass tops
  • Monterey Stand (from Marineland's Q&A pages):
    Outside dimensions: 74.250 19.500 34.500
    It has 3 doors.
    The two ends are NOT removable.
    Interior dimensions: 69.750 15.750 31.000
    2 rear braces
    Tank Cavity: 72.750 18.750 2.000
    Door opening: (1) 15.675(w) (1) 40.675(w) 25.750(h)
    BREX
  • 2 - MP40's (one on the 40, new one purchased)
  • Ecotech Battery Backup
  • 2 - WP25's for flow along the back wall
  • Trigger Systems Ruby 36S sump (36x15x16)
  • ATI SunPower 60"x6 bulb T5 (Coral+, Blue+, AB Special, Purple+, Blue+, Coral+)
  • Maxspect Razor 300W 16K (43.5"), Razor 160W 16K (27"), BuildMyLED 20K strip
  • BML Custom strip (~18K)
  • Reef Octopus XP-2000 Cone Skimmer
  • EHEIM 1262 for the return pump
  • Eheim-JAGER MODEL TS - 250 WATTS heater
  • Timed Topoff with Kalk
  • CaribSea Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand

I hate the idea of cycling a new tank, but I like the idea of doing it right and using all new rock. In the end I think I will transfer most of the 40 over, bubble algae, sand, and all. At least I don't have any (visible) aptasia thanks to the berghia I used a few months back. I love the 2 year old sand, critters, and muck that makes the 40 such a stable tank.

I am still pondering the fate of the 46. The anemone will be coming over on his rock, as will all the fish except the Purple terror who will be going back to the LFS.

Plumbing?

I had this grand plan of mostly PVC plumbing but the non DIY'er in me is throwing a fit. The value of being able to close off a return rather than just filling up the sump with excess water is lost on me. I am still pondering my anti-siphon options for the return line.

Electrical?

I have 2 circuits available and I'm considering wiring multiple GFI outlets under the stand to avoid a single point of failure if a main GFI outlet fails. In other words, non GFI into the stand, then wired similar to home electric to multiple GFI outlets for the equipment. So if the return pump shorts out, for example, it would trip the outlet the return is on but no other outlets. It would be logical to have the entire sump be on one GFI circuit so if it trips the sump goes dark, but the display pumps stay on. Heating the display during some kind of sump failure is another consideration I have to think of.

Not having any of the primary circuits on GFI into the stand introduces some risk that I have to evaluate as well. I just hate the fact that I almost lost a tank because, while on vacation, a silly small drip turned the entire tank off save for a single pump I had plugged into an extension cord to a non GFI outlet.

If you see any obvious issues or just want to offer an opinion over my choices please pile it on. :)

• Like 19

This sounds awesome, what are your stocking plans other then the transfers? Tagging along

Thanks! I haven't decided yet. I have two yellow tangs that need to be added at the same time, and if I want a third I will need to add it at the same time as well. I also have to figure out if the Midas Blenny and Starry Blenny can live in the same tank without killing each other.

Woops. Added to the list is the Ecotech battery backup. I'll hook one of the MP40's to it.

omgomgomg

Congratulations Mark!

Thanks Kat!

Eau my.

Yea, thanks. :) You think the Razor will be enough for SPS at 20" depth and above? I just don't like any fixture that has red instead of warm white. I have 2 36" BuildMyLED strips (the brighter versions) to supplement one side if needed.

jedimasterben

Yea, thanks. :) You think the Razor will be enough for SPS at 20" depth and above? I just don't like any fixture that has red instead of warm white. I have 2 36" BuildMyLED strips (the brighter versions) to supplement one side if needed.

Why wouldn't it? Intensity there will be pretty high and going up, even higher.

Why wouldn't it? Intensity there will be pretty high and going up, even higher.

That's what I thought, looking at the review of the smaller fixture and PAR, but I could have missed something. I own a PAR meter so I'll know soon enough.

helllllllloooooooo big tank! Can't wait to see this, mark

Thanks man, me either. I'll feel a little better one the beast is actually in the house. :D

• Like 1
NirvanaandTool

150? Nice! That's a great size tank. Had a few friends with that size tank and it is really nice. I haven't even set up my 90 and I'm already looking forward to getting a 150 or 180 haha

Looking forward to seeing this evolve.

• Like 1
On 6/17/2014 at 1:00 PM, NirvanaandTool said:

150? Nice! That's a great size tank. Had a few friends with that size tank and it is really nice. I haven't even set up my 90 and I'm already looking forward to getting a 150 or 180 haha

Looking forward to seeing this evolve.

Thanks. I found some nice examples of 150's online that I really liked as well.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=21609525&postcount=122

and an older picture of that setup with the stand.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So apparently the sand I used in the 40 gallon is CaribSea Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand. I did not pay attention when i forst set it up, though it may have been recommended so I chose it and then forgot why. I like it, a lot, and apparently others do as well so this will be the sand used in this tank as well.

• Like 1

Nice, I had a 150 back in the day. It's awesome to have so many fish options. The only thing I didn't like was the 18" depth, and the maintenance.

• Like 1

Looking forward to this one :D.

Nice, I had a 150 back in the day. It's awesome to have so many fish options. The only thing I didn't like was the 18" depth, and the maintenance.

Thanks. I can't imagine one big tank being more work than my two 40 somethings but I'll find out soon enough. :)

Awesome! I'll be following along. A friend of mine had a midas and a starry blenny in a 90 gallon and they did fine. They'd have small spats on occasion, but they both seemed to be doing very well. I'd just add them at the same time and just make sure there is lots of rock so they can each have their own territory.

• Like 1

Awesome! I'll be following along. A friend of mine had a midas and a starry blenny in a 90 gallon and they did fine. They'd have small spats on occasion, but they both seemed to be doing very well. I'd just add them at the same time and just make sure there is lots of rock so they can each have their own territory.

Thanks for the info and for the follow. Sounds like I'm going to be adding most pairs of fish at the same time. The transfer is going to be interesting and nerve wracking.

Hey I have the same stand on my 40B! Had no idea haha. Hopefully you can get this thing running and well on it's way by the end of the summer

• Like 1