SaltCritters.com

Mirya's Floridian Flower Garden - All kinds of new things!

Mirya

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sorry I was reffering to these guys :)

Ah! Those are Palythoa grandis. Sometimes called giant cinnamon polyps because depending on lighting, they may not have any green. Here's my original 2 polyps that I bought from Tidal Gardens. When I bought them they had green, then they lost the green under the light I had at the time, a Maxspect Razor. Since switching to a NanoBox you can see they have considerably greened up.

PalyGrandis_zps2204a049.jpg

To get and keep the green they need high light. They are photosynthetic, but have a great feeding response and will pop out baby heads faster if fed. (My group started from about 5 polyps a year or so ago. There are tons of baby polyps you can't see under the giant adult polyps.) The polyps get bigger than a half dollar. They are native to the Caribbean. When fragging them, care needs to be taken because they do contain a decent amount of palytoxin. You can usually find single or double polyps for sale at LFS for about $25 a polyp. They are a really forgiving/easy coral.

In case I still didn't get which coral you were asking about :blush: other corals in that picture is a Discosoma neglecta mushroom, two color varieties of Caulastrea coral, and a Bornemann anemone.

We are vegetarians (since 98 - unfortunately, ethical not healthy ones!) but have never seen this - putting it on the list for tomorrow! Thanks for sharing!

I was for like 10 yrs then I really missed chicken and shrimp! But I still LOVE vegetarian recipes. I learned more about different spices when I went veggie.

Thank you for the recipe. I'm copying it now into notepad. Yum.

I was wondering same thing about my palys. As under the light in Gert's tank they looked like cinnamon palys while under the Kessil they were incredible and green. Can't wait to have them under the Quad in the 40, along with rock flowers one day again.

Ah! Those are Palythoa grandis. Sometimes called giant cinnamon polyps because depending on lighting, they may not have any green. Here's my original 2 polyps that I bought from Tidal Gardens. When I bought them they had green, then they lost the green under the light I had at the time, a Maxspect Razor. Since switching to a NanoBox you can see they have considerably greened up.

PalyGrandis_zps2204a049.jpg

To get and keep the green they need high light. They are photosynthetic, but have a great feeding response and will pop out baby heads faster if fed. (My group started from about 5 polyps a year or so ago. There are tons of baby polyps you can't see under the giant adult polyps.) The polyps get bigger than a half dollar. They are native to the Caribbean. When fragging them, care needs to be taken because they do contain a decent amount of palytoxin. You can usually find single or double polyps for sale at LFS for about $25 a polyp. They are a really forgiving/easy coral.

In case I still didn't get which coral you were asking about :blush: other corals in that picture is a Discosoma neglecta mushroom, two color varieties of Caulastrea coral, and a Bornemann anemone.

Yes, those where the ones I was curious about. :)

They are really beautiful. I hadn't seen anything like those ever and now might have to look into finding some ;)

What really drew me in, was the comparison to your royal gramma, there they look huge!

jedimasterben

Yeah, each polyp is 1.5-2.5" across. They're gorgeous corals. I have what appears to be the same two strains as Mirya, one has a pastel green and brown and the other has the dark green and brown :)

Suuuuper slow growers, though, even when you feed them.

Here's mine each under different lights. Under Kessil. Totally look different.

20151003_212243_zps8asiyr1v.jpg

Under Marineland basic strip.

20160201_211659_zps6u26gox7.jpg

Here's mine each under different lights. Under Kessil. Totally look different.

20151003_212243_zps8asiyr1v.jpg

Under Marineland basic strip.

20160201_211659_zps6u26gox7.jpg

Sooo pretty... I need some of these!!

What really drew me in, was the comparison to your royal gramma, there they look huge!

Yup, they make regular Zoas look like the polyps on SPS! For size comparison my Gramma is I'd say mid-size. I've seen bigger Grammas, but he has grown considerably since I bought him a yearish ago.

Yeah, each polyp is 1.5-2.5" across. They're gorgeous corals. I have what appears to be the same two strains as Mirya, one has a pastel green and brown and the other has the dark green and brown :)

Suuuuper slow growers, though, even when you feed them.

I'm pretty happy with the rate mine have grown. Either mine grow faster than average or my expectations for their growth was really low.

Sooo pretty... I need some of these!!

IMHO these are a staple everyone should have. :D

In unrelated news... I'm thinking about starting dosing 2-part. Even though I just have softies/LPS, I know keeping more stable parameters with dosing will help make things happier. Plus, I'm hoping it'll help on growth of my Acans and Blastos. What is everyone's favorite dosing pumps? I'm planning on using ESV 2-part as well as Magnesium. I do have an Apex Jr, so I've thought about the Apex doser, but they seem expensive for only 2 pumps. I'd like to have 3.

I am looking at the DOS also it is a little spendy at 300 but being able to control it with the APEX is nice......

My grandis are brown under my Kessil but are on a low corner of the tank that is not so bright. But I am also not to impressed by the Kessil.....

And on a Cauliflower note that recipe is pretty good! :) Next time I will probably double it as I only cut up one head. Also a little more sauce as I was saving some for the chicken as I was running low. Thanks for the recipe!

What coral is right next to the palys on the rock?

jedimasterben

I'm pretty happy with the rate mine have grown. Either mine grow faster than average or my expectations for their growth was really low.

I've had the dark ones for a year and a half and the light ones for a few months less. The dark ones have sprouted one full polyp and one that is about half the size, and the light one started with two polyps and now has three lol.

Is this a grandis paly picture page? :flower:

My emeralds.

IMG_2016.JPG

Happy to hear of your recovery enough to start running Mirya. The cauliflower wings look delicious. I'm on a plant based diet, I cheat when I go out but I've taken it a step further and I'm vegan most of the time. Cauliflower mashed potatoes taste great as well, cannot tell the difference IMO between that and regular mashed potatoes.

Trader joes has this spicy soy chorizo that is to DIE FOR. I cook that up with onions and fresh chopped pico salsa, and eat it with lettuce, sometimes as a salad but it tastes amazing as lettuce wraps.

My emeralds.

IMG_2016.JPG

Happy to hear of your recovery enough to start running Mirya. The cauliflower wings look delicious. I'm on a plant based diet, I cheat when I go out but I've taken it a step further and I'm vegan most of the time. Cauliflower mashed potatoes taste great as well, cannot tell the difference IMO between that and regular mashed potatoes.

Trader joes has this spicy soy chorizo that is to DIE FOR. I cook that up with onions and fresh chopped pico salsa, and eat it with lettuce, sometimes as a salad but it tastes amazing as lettuce wraps.

Wow those look amazing!

Let me know if you decide to frag ;)

In unrelated news... I'm thinking about starting dosing 2-part. Even though I just have softies/LPS, I know keeping more stable parameters with dosing will help make things happier. Plus, I'm hoping it'll help on growth of my Acans and Blastos. What is everyone's favorite dosing pumps? I'm planning on using ESV 2-part as well as Magnesium. I do have an Apex Jr, so I've thought about the Apex doser, but they seem expensive for only 2 pumps. I'd like to have 3.

I have a like new Bubble Magnus doser for sale in the classifieds :P

But I would recommend a Jebao DP-4. A 4 head dosing pump for $80, hard to beat :)

Wow those look amazing!

Let me know if you decide to frag ;)

I can make you a frag no problem.

I use BRS peristaltic dosers connected to my Apex.

Nice work on that skimmer.

I made a good old fashioned limewood countercurrent skimmer out of some plastic bottles. It has filled up about 3/4 of a two liter Pepsi bottle behind my tank with thick black skimmate over the last month.

There's something super-satisfying about DIY, isn't there?

I'll post some pictures soon.

I am looking at the DOS also it is a little spendy at 300 but being able to control it with the APEX is nice......

My grandis are brown under my Kessil but are on a low corner of the tank that is not so bright. But I am also not to impressed by the Kessil.....

And on a Cauliflower note that recipe is pretty good! :) Next time I will probably double it as I only cut up one head. Also a little more sauce as I was saving some for the chicken as I was running low. Thanks for the recipe!

What coral is right next to the palys on the rock?

Agreed about the spendiness of the DOS, but I feel like the fact that Apex just did a price drop on it is taunting me.

Glad you liked the cauliflower! It does help me feel less guilty about craving "wings." :D

When you were asking about the coral next to the Palys on the rock can you quote the picture so I know which one you are referring too (since I posted two pictures of P grandis on different rocks.)

I've had the dark ones for a year and a half and the light ones for a few months less. The dark ones have sprouted one full polyp and one that is about half the size, and the light one started with two polyps and now has three lol.

Sorry Ben, I think yours are short bus... I started with 2 of the lighter ones and 3-4 of the darker ones. I smooshed the two morphs together when I mounted them. The lighter ones have darkened up, so it is hard to tell for sure which of mine is a clone of which original mama polyps, but 1.5ish yr later I have roughly 18 adult heads and just as many baby heads. I think one of the things that helped is when I had things in my original tank, the P grandis was very near where I would feed my fish. (I feed LRS and some homemade frozen foods by pipette.) Everything the fish didn't grab would drift onto the Palys, so they were being fed daily essentially. They have such a fantastic feeding response. I think of them as little Audrey IIs from Little Shop of Horrors.

My emeralds.

Thanks for sharing. Who would have thought -- we need a P grandis appreciation thread. ; )

You have convinced me to go to Trader Joe's. That chorizo sounds delicious!

There's something super-satisfying about DIY, isn't there?

Yes, yes there is!

I use BRS peristaltic dosers connected to my Apex.

+1 for BRS dosers. I control mine with my Apex and it works great.

I'm leaning pretty heavily towards these. Well these or the DOS. The DOS seems cool since it is an Apex native doser, has really nice stepper pumps, and it sounds like the programming for it is a breeze. But, spendy like Spectra said and only 2 pumps. The BRS pumps have such a great reputation and are priced so reasonably. Will suck up more plug space on my EB8 though. Hrmm.

Agreed about the spendiness of the DOS, but I feel like the fact that Apex just did a price drop on it is taunting me.

Glad you liked the cauliflower! It does help me feel less guilty about craving "wings." :D

When you were asking about the coral next to the Palys on the rock can you quote the picture so I know which one you are referring too (since I posted two pictures of P grandis on different rocks.)

Yes now that the price dropped just a little :lol: but still not cheap.......the BRS ones seem nice but I like the fact you can control the DOS from your phone or Ipad if need be.

Yep wife complained there was not enough :lol: I also did 3lbs of wings also.......so there was plenty of things to go around......

As for the pic wondering what is to the left there? I have something similar but not sure what it is? Mine looks like GSP but grows like a gorgonian.

Grandis_zpslik9g6cm.jpg

This is what I have IMG_1440.jpg

jedimasterben

I think that there are branching strains of GSP. I want some of yours! PM me if you want to cut it at some point :)

I think that there are branching strains of GSP. I want some of yours! PM me if you want to cut it at some point :)

I will but get in line :lol: Stells was first go figure :)

I just got it from a local reefer and he says it grows quick so will see.

That is cool, I didn't know there was a branching variety.

Me either but looks real nice in the flow. I did notice it stays open in the dark when the GSP closes all up for the day....

Yes now that the price dropped just a little :lol: but still not cheap.......the BRS ones seem nice but I like the fact you can control the DOS from your phone or Ipad if need be.

Yep wife complained there was not enough :lol: I also did 3lbs of wings also.......so there was plenty of things to go around......

As for the pic wondering what is to the left there? I have something similar but not sure what it is? Mine looks like GSP but grows like a gorgonian.

We are completely on the same wavelength on the DOS! Too bad Apex only has sales once in a blue moon.

Mmmm all those wings...

On the left in my photo, that is a gorgonian. If I remember correctly, it is a Eunicea sp I got from Aquascapers. Even if I have the genus wrong, it is a photosynthetic Caribbean coral.

Your GSP are really cool! 15 years ago when I had a tank, I had a bit of GSP that after I fragged it, one of the edges curled and formed a tube. Never got anywhere as long as your tube though. That's really neat!

Incidentally, Reefbuilders just did a story today on a new species of GSP. (It is a species that probably is in aquaria already, just newly recognized as being its own species.) In the picture they showed of this new species, the mats can take on a cylinder form:

briareum-cylindricum.jpg

Archived