Pod Your Reef

When your wife wants her own tank....Nanobox Synergy build...New Pics

Alex B

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks awesome Alex

Did you glue the rics to the rocks?

Some are glued and some actually have the foot down. It took a little while to make the rock. I glued whatever had enough rock rubble to the rock. Then I took my loose ones and rubber banded them to the rock. After 3 days in my sump with no flow they grabbed on. I didnt want any frag plugs on the rock. Took a while, and i glued my fingers together a couple times, but it was worth it!

Nanofreak79

Found the sexiness. Nice build bro, very refined and modern like.

Looks awesome AlexDid you glue the rics to the rocks?
Mine always get mushy and slimey. I usually put them in a breeder box with some rubble rock and let them attach, then glue them.

Just wanted to stop by and say wow! I love the tank and your setup. May I ask for a couple more pictures of your living room with the tank? Its gorgeous!

Little of topic, where do you like to shop for coral here in Orlando?

Just wanted to stop by and say wow! I love the tank and your setup. May I ask for a couple more pictures of your living room with the tank? Its gorgeous!

Little of topic, where do you like to shop for coral here in Orlando?

World Wide coral is great, but expensive. Living reef is hit or miss. Top shelf is good for reasonably priced mid-high range coral. I guarantee you Alex is going to respond that he gets most of his stuff from other local reefers, though.

defender.TX

I remember seeing these tanks on ReefBuilders when they were first announced, awesome to see a build thread for one. Definitely following along and it looks greaT!

Living Reef in Waterford ? I LOVE that place.

The store itself is stunning. The problem I had a couple months ago was all of the livestock was just starting to not impress me. And they over charge like crazy, even with the discounts I was starting to get. I'm not going to lie, probably half of the livestock I have in my tank came from Living reef. I just started realizing there was other places in Orlando that were better. Now, I haven't been back in a couple months. I don't know if things are looking any better these days.

pismo_reefer

I hate it when stores are like that....

The shop I buy my water from is very similar.

Waaaaay overpriced, for what the stock is.

In addition to the health and condition of livestock.

Christ,.... They want $80 for an orange yuma, that lives on a rock infested with Aiptasia.

Really ? I was there a few weeks ago,and was blow away. Some of their $25 sps frags had me like :o !!! I'm a cheap ass,I shop in the $5-$30 zoa tank,and wow. They do have some expensive stuff,but I've seen worse. Especially Top Shelf on Aloma.. Those damn people must be getting their prices somewhere crazy. They tried to charge me $20 for a half inch piece of orange digi.., REALLY ?! Oceans Direct in Longwood is nice,and the other place on Aloma is nice too,especially for sps and lps. Everything is between $20-25 for 1"+ frags.

Where else do you shop ?

Just wanted to stop by and say wow! I love the tank and your setup. May I ask for a couple more pictures of your living room with the tank? Its gorgeous! Little of topic, where do you like to shop for coral here in Orlando?

Thanks! I'll get some more pics soon. Like Randy said, I do most of my purchasing from other hobbyist. It's the best way in my opinion. Nothing against lfs, they have there place. The best store here is worldwide corals. Hands down. They are pricey, but have biggest selection, and always have very stunning rare corals. I'm surprised you say top shelf is expensive. They are generally cheaper then living reef on everything. They also do a lot of weekend sales and stuff. Living reef never really does anything, sometimes on big holidays they might have a sale. There coral selection has also been very poor lately. Especially sps. It's just a big tank of brown sticks. Honestly once you have been in the hobby a bit, you tend to trade and buy a lot from other hobbyist.

I remember seeing these tanks on ReefBuilders when they were first announced, awesome to see a build thread for one. Definitely following along and it looks greaT!

Thank you! I like the little tank a lot.

Really ? I was there a few weeks ago,and was blow away. Some of their $25 sps frags had me like :o !!! I'm a cheap ass,I shop in the $5-$30 zoa tank,and wow. They do have some expensive stuff,but I've seen worse. Especially Top Shelf on Aloma.. Those damn people must be getting their prices somewhere crazy. They tried to charge me $20 for a half inch piece of orange digi.., REALLY ?! Oceans Direct in Longwood is nice,and the other place on Aloma is nice too,especially for sps and lps. Everything is between $20-25 for 1"+ frags. Where else do you shop ?

Oceans direct is horrible. I wouldn't even buy fish food at that place. They should go into the business of selling algae and aiptasia. They would be billionaires. The other place in aloma is ocean blue. It's ok, but the owners are horrible. They could be a serious contender if they were not so overpriced.

I never have anything worth while to trade :( and really not that many people are close to me in Orlando. But I mean me personally,I was in there about a month ago when I got my frags and didn't see one brown piece,but things may have changed since then.

The only thing I don't like about living reef,is their equipment is a little pricey. Which I usually everywhere. Hahaha,supposedly George has been out of the country meeting with new vendors and when I went in there,wow. The place looked horrible. Every time I go in there he's always shoulder deep cleaning DT's and the frag tanks.

Ocean Blue,that's the one. They are a bit step on prices,I walked in looked around for 5 minutes and left lol.

lilmatty5dimes

awesome tank love your aquascape and build so far. found a few more semi-local reefers around which is always a plus. living reef has jewels in the cheap frag tank if you look. friend found a zoa pretty close if not to a rainbow infusion for $5. i still need to make a trip to LR.

I wish they had more mushies :( !!! I'm going up there this weekend,time to cash in my coral fund change jar lol :D

We do have it pretty good here in fl. I won't deny that! Maybe we are just being picky!...lol...

In other news I bought this little guy today. Not my pic, but same fish. I'll try to get a pic of mine tom. My wife said it's a girl wearing lipstick. I wanna name it Barney the barnacle blenny.

Watching this little fish is amazing. So fast!!!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123509535@N06/14601716876/'>14601716876_54392fd317_b.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123509535@N06/14601716876/'>Untitled by https://www.flickr.com/people/123509535@N06/'>touchofklasse, on Flickr

pismo_reefer

The best way to get pics of Barnacle Blennies, is by feeding them.

They sit still while they eat, and await another shrimp. (Or, whatever.)

Tank looks awesome, those initial pics of the empty tank with the light over it was art enough, the rics and the torch are the icing on the cake. Will look even better once you get the lilly pipes in there.

pismo_reefer

Tank looks awesome, those initial pics of the empty tank with the light over it was art enough, the rics and the torch are the icing on the cake. Will look even better once you get the lilly pipes in there.

^ This.

Thank you! I'm enjoying It very much! Its quickly becoming my fav spot in the house!

Also. Here is my little barnacle blenny. Such a cool fish. This is my first one, and I'm in love with this little guy. Was able to get a nice picture. He has found a cool little hole between all the rics. Perfect spot! https://www.flickr.com/photos/123509535@N06/14442257927/'>14442257927_d16d73eb51_b.jpghttps://www.flickr.com/photos/123509535@N06/14442257927/'>DSC_0551 by https://www.flickr.com/people/123509535@N06/'>touchofklasse, on Flickr

I wonder how many I can keep in this little tank. Are they aggresive? I know some gobys are.

A pair would be so cool!

Archived