Cultivated Reef

Pre-ordered the ALL NEW Innovative Marine SkimMate Ghost Skimmer

IMSR80

Steensj2004

It's possible, everybody's tank is different.

Gah....my skimmer is 10x that loud. IM insists it should be that loud.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gah....my skimmer is 10x that loud. IM insists it should be that loud.

Then I would say something is wrong with your pump. If I were you I'd call them up and point them to my video.

Steensj2004

Then I would say something is wrong with your pump. If I were you I'd call them up and point them to my video.

I have to be honest, you are running the mid-sized, which has a ceramic shaft. I doubt that my skimmer can be that quiet with the metal shaft. Fact is, is loud as heck, the first thing I notice is the skimmer when I walk in the front door. It is beyond annoying.This thing is skimming it's backside off now, I am crazy impressed with the performance. I just ordered a reactor and bio-pellets too :(

I have to be honest, you are running the mid-sized, which has a ceramic shaft. I doubt that my skimmer can be that quiet with the metal shaft. Fact is, is loud as heck, the first thing I notice is the skimmer when I walk in the front door. It is beyond annoying.This thing is skimming it's backside off now, I am crazy impressed with the performance. I just ordered a reactor and bio-pellets too :(

Dude, I have a metal shaft. The only model that has a ceramic shaft is the full sized. Royce at IM verified that for me.

Im kinda confused by all these loud comments, mine is not loud at all and I have the midsized one. Maybe there are some quality issues at hand?

Steensj2004
Dude, I have a metal shaft. The only model that has a ceramic shaft is the full sized. Royce at IM verified that for me.

Paul told me only the desktop had a metal shaft, my bad. Still loud as he'll though...

Mines loud as hell too. Midsize model. It's the first thing I hear when I wake up.. the first thing I hear when I come home. The last thing I hear when I sleep. My room is 30 feet ish from the room. 15 feet from the front door. I would rave about this skimmer if the noise level was bearable.

Steensj2004

Mines loud as hell too. Midsize model. It's the first thing I hear when I wake up.. the first thing I hear when I come home. The last thing I hear when I sleep. My room is 30 feet ish from the room. 15 feet from the front door. I would rave about this skimmer if the noise level was bearable.

Same here. It skims like it's possessed, but it sounds like it's gonna explode,lol. They did suck a good job with everything else on this thing....

Can anybody explain to me why this thing skims, then stops randomly? I know feeding, dosing, and sticking your hands on inside the tank can cause it to do this...but it stops randomly? For example it stopped last night for no reason and still has not started back up as of today.

Im kinda confused by all these loud comments, mine is not loud at all and I have the midsized one. Maybe there are some quality issues at hand?

Any chance you could post a video of yours? I'd like to see how yours sounds compared to mine.

Thanks!

Mine's loud too. It is real quite if I block the air inlet. I think the noise of mine is related to the air silencer or the air injection at the impeller. I am in search of an air inlet silencer I can try to see if it helps.

WhiskyTango

I have the desktop for my Nuvo16.

One week in and this is what is think so far.

Unseen, not with the cup sitting high enough to barely work.

Unheard, maybe for my neighbor. Same noise level as the original Skimmate Skimmer

Unrivaled Performance, meh... very very light skim mate so far.

Mine's loud too. It is real quite if I block the air inlet. I think the noise of mine is related to the air silencer or the air injection at the impeller. I am in search of an air inlet silencer I can try to see if it helps.

Try a large empty pill bottles stuffed with some cotton balls and two straws. I did this with the Cad Light PLS-50 and it does make a discernible difference. You'll probably want to play around with difference sized ones to get the resonance down to an acceptable level.

My fullsize arrived. The noise level is 66 db, which is the loudest so far in my SR-80 system. My MP40w ES is about 62 db at 50% power.

POvQlNr.jpg

jcYNQsB.jpg

Exactly, when I turn down the bubbles by closing the air hole or plugging it anyway it will quiet down. At that point the only noise issue is from the pump where the vibration and humming is acceptable levels. Still the not quietest pump but still acceptable.

Upon some tinkering I do notices the gargling/ticking/clicking/grinding noise seems to be resonating from the silencer box. And the crappy part is.... the air box is glued inside the darn housing. Impossible to look inside. Now the question is... what happens if the air box ever gets clogged with algae, dirt, dust, sand etc..? A bit worried since the air box do get submerged in the water.

Try a large empty pill bottles stuffed with some cotton balls and two straws. I did this with the Cad Light PLS-50 and it does make a discernible difference. You'll probably want to play around with difference sized ones to get the resonance down to an acceptable level.

Airbox is pretty much built in, but I can try and take the tubing out and bypass the stock box. Do you know if its okay if the stock air box/silencer will be okay if it gets water in there?

Steensj2004

Well, some good news....

Called IM again and got a new fellow that gave me a new option. He stated that the pump on this thing is super over powered and basically the amount of air it takes in is making the noise(cavitation like on waterborne vessels). He suggested I turn the air valve closed all the way, then open it slowly until the foam head returned. At first I thought this screwy, but remembered that when I close the valve all the way before the noise stopped completely(so did the foam). He said the noise is less when the valve is open less, but the skimmer will still work. Tried it, and it works! I only need my valve opened slightly, and the noise decreased by what I would call 75%. Skimmer is still skimming away too!

As a result of this latest development, I am going to do an adjusted review:

Pros:

-Build quality is excellent. Solid, ascetically pleasing, and quality

-Fits in the IM tanks excellently

-Skims very well compared to most nano skimmers I've encountered. I am currently getting medium-dark tea like skimmate.

-Fast break in time

Cons:

-Noise

-Micro bubbles ( not horrible, but there)

-Cost....I would have expected more for the price. A full sized Reef Octopus is 189.00....

Overall I am very happy with the skimmer now that the noise problem is solved. It skims very well, and is the best nano skimmer I have encountered to date( even with the few issues at the beginning). Skimmer doesn't require a lot of adjustments, hasn't gone randomly crazy frequently like the other nano skimmers I've had. Overall, I would give this a 8/10 total score

So I got on Facebook this morning and it seems that Innovative Marine shared the YouTube video that I put on on these forums last week. I thought that was pretty cool!.

Steensj2004

So I got on Facebook this morning and it seems that Innovative Marine shared the YouTube video that I put on on these forums last week. I thought that was pretty cool!.

You're famous! Congrats! They should give you a credit for the rights to the video!!!!

You're famous! Congrats! They should give you a credit for the rights to the video!!!!

Instead of credits, maybe they should hook me up with a ceramic shaft to test.

Steensj2004

Instead of credits, maybe they should hook me up with a ceramic shaft to test.

Agreed! I think it's is ridiculous that for a 150.00 nano skimmer they can't put a ceramic shaft inside....

So after 2 weeks, all of a sudden no more skim... and it started to add microbubbles... go figure <_<

Looks like mine unit is breaking in the opposite way for some odd reason.

So after 2 weeks, all of a sudden no more skim... and it started to add microbubbles... go figure <_<

Looks like mine unit is breaking in the opposite way for some odd reason.

Mine has started with the micro bubbles and not so much skim mate too. I've done quite a few water changes in the past few days though to help clear up cloudiness in my tank from dosing calcium and Alk at the same time.

I'm. It too worried about it though, at least I'm still getting some skim.

Mine is a full size one, with ceramic shaft, but the nose level is about 80 db now.

It is quiet when you pull it out of water, and 80 db under water. I check the pump and shaft, everything is fine. Nothing is broken.

80 db is like running a hair dryer besides you. Noisy.

I will call IM on Monday to find out why, or if they can take it back for refund.

Disappointed.

Steensj2004

Mine is a full size one, with ceramic shaft, but the nose level is about 80 db now.

It is quiet when you pull it out of water, and 80 db under water. I check the pump and shaft, everything is fine. Nothing is broken.

80 db is like running a hair dryer besides you. Noisy.

I will call IM on Monday to find out why, or if they can take it back for refund.

Disappointed.

My skimmer and whole tank runs at about 45 dB. The trick I was given was close the air valve 100%, you will notice the noise gone. Now open the valve until the skimmer starts working again. With the valve open all the way the noise is much higher. If you open the valve barely it keeps the noise down. Hope this makes sense.

Archived