ReefCleaners.org

Pre-ordered the ALL NEW Innovative Marine SkimMate Ghost Skimmer

IMSR80

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just got mine from my LFS. Mid size version for my Fusion 30l.

So far not pulling in any skim. But on the plus side, it's not producing any micro bubbles out of the skimmer.

Initial inspection shows, it's pretty basic looking skimmer. Mid level quality. I actually prefer my Hydor Skimmer. Hydor seems better built and were producing skims from day one. This unit is pretty much glued at every seams versus having a molded plastic. One of the seams had a little gap, but it does not seem to be leaking bubbles from it. Had a pretty bad stink of glue, so I rinsed it with RODI water.

Also the unit is a bit nosier then the Hydor. The Ghost skimmer has this annoying clicking... Ticking noise coming from the impeller. But for a fair review I will test this unit out for at least 2 weeks.

Pros, it fits :/

Steensj2004

Hmmmmmm, did you create and account simply to review the skimmer? Seeing as you have one post I think I will form my own opinon when it arrives.....ALSO I might add seems odd your LFS has them already and on the shelf... :huh:

How about some pictures? I feel it odd you have no thread on your tank as well....

I too would be surprised if anyone had this yet. I ordered mine from saltwateraquarium.com and they haven't even started to ship out. Neither has InTank...

It's definitely possible he received it from a LFS. A store in Tulsa OK is a pretty big dealer for IM and when I was up there a couple weeks ago they were already on the way, I think his tracking was getting them there last Tuesday or Wednesday.

I was looking at the new IM 30L that they had on the showroom floor and he said if I buy the tank that day to wait until the following week for the new skimmer that was coming and not get the current one they had on the wall. I mentioned how I heard the rumors that there was a new skimmer coming out but didn't know when. Then he showed me the text from one of the guys at IM.

I just called them and they have them in stock. http://www.ultimate-reefs.com

Chances are whenever IM sent their first batch out they not only went to Marine Depot but also to some of the larger LFS at the same time. So it's a very good chance that NuEoK got one from his LFS the day they came in… the same day MarineDepot received their batch that they have to turn around and ship out.

This is correct, mine took about 19 gallons. I guess I just figured that the advertised maximum gallons for a protein skimmer was similar to how they advertise the aquariums themselves - more about tank size than actual water volume. I guess I'm wrong?

I am not saying you are wrong I just hope that's not the case. Lol

Steensj2004

I was looking at the new IM 30L that they had on the showroom floor and he said if I buy the tank that day to wait until the following week for the new skimmer that was coming and not get the current one they had on the wall. I mentioned how I heard the rumors that there was a new skimmer coming out but didn't know when. Then he showed me the text from one of the guys at IM.

I just called them and they have them in stock. http://www.ultimate-reefs.com

Chances are whenever IM sent their first batch out they not only went to Marine Depot but also to some of the larger LFS at the same time. So it's a very good chance that NuEoK got one from his LFS the day they came in… the same day MarineDepot received their batch that they have to turn around and ship out.

No pictures, first post ever, still seems very odd,regardless.....

Ordered mine yesterday and should have it by the end of the week! Lets hope its worth it. Also, got the reactor for my Nuvo 16! Gotta love 10% savings at Marine Depot! :)

Troll.. yea. Well I crated this account a while back to do a thread in my nuvo 24. But since the nuvo 24 took a crap I never got around posting my new tank. My lfs is 15 minutes away from innovative marine, so the owner can drive and pick up stock easily. Not sure why, but yes I'll post some "proof" for those who may have some trust issues. If I have time I'll post some videos of the unit. Maybe someone can tell me if the noises are normal.

If anyone have questions about the unit, I'll be more then happy to take special pics or measurements.

Maybe someone can tell me if the noises are normal.

My Guess is nobody's going to know since they don't have one yet…

Steensj2004

Troll.. yea. Well I crated this account a while back to do a thread in my nuvo 24. But since the nuvo 24 took a crap I never got around posting my new tank. My lfs is 15 minutes away from innovative marine, so the owner can drive and pick up stock easily. Not sure why, but yes I'll post some "proof" for those who may have some trust issues. If I have time I'll post some videos of the unit. Maybe someone can tell me if the noises are normal. If anyone have questions about the unit, I'll be more then happy to take special pics or measurements.

Nothing personal, just smelled of someone being a troll....You never see people with one post reviewing a brand new item before ANYONE else has it, not to mention someone who has no tank thread.....be easy man, my bad.

Troll.. yea. Well I crated this account a while back to do a thread in my nuvo 24. But since the nuvo 24 took a crap I never got around posting my new tank. My lfs is 15 minutes away from innovative marine, so the owner can drive and pick up stock easily. Not sure why, but yes I'll post some "proof" for those who may have some trust issues. If I have time I'll post some videos of the unit. Maybe someone can tell me if the noises are normal.

If anyone have questions about the unit, I'll be more then happy to take special pics or measurements.

Please post a video when you can. I have one of these on the way for my BioCube and I'd like to see it in action. Thanks!

My Guess is nobody's going to know since they don't have one yet…

And that's exactly the point of me posting in here. Waiting for the guys who pre ordered the units to tell me. I only have the Hydor to compare it with. So hoping someone with a bit more experience with skimmers can chime in.

Nothing personal, just smelled of someone being a troll....You never see people with one post reviewing a brand new item before ANYONE else has it, not to mention someone who has no tank thread.....be easy man, my bad.

Point understood. I can see how not having any posts can discredit someone. I'll be more careful :) since I am the newbie to the forum.

Please post a video when you can. I have one of these on the way for my BioCube and I'd like to see it in action. Thanks!

No idea how to add videos here.

but here is the link http://s1279.photobucket.com/user/nueok/media/IMSkimmerGhost_zpsea91e897.mp4.html

The noise is not very well heard in the video. But in person its like 10 times louder. Toward the end of the clip you can hear the clipping noise I'm referring too. That noise is very apparent.

Also the setting on the cup is at water level, according to the manual thats the recommended height. Been running for a full 24hrs now and the cup somehow filled 20% even though the bubbles are way below the tube of the collection cup :/

I tried running the pump without the skimmer body and its not making the clicks. But it does let out a noticeable hum, and has quite a bit of vibrations. So far it seems like the design of the unit itself. Hopefully someone can chime in soon with their experience. If I'm alone on this I need to go return/exchange it. Im just a bit concerned at the moment being the first batch... first batch of anything typically do not go so well. With the noise, not sure if my $200 was spent well... Skimming performance yet to be reviewed as the skimmer is most likely breaking in.

GhostSkimmerBox_zps6858137b.jpg

Fusion30LTop_zps93b11d0d.jpg

Thanks for posting that. I was able to hear the humming sound that you mentioned. That is the same issue I had with my Hydor, I just hope it isn't as bad as my Hydor, because if it is it will be getting returned and I'll just go skimmer less.

Hey NuEoK, where did you get that fan that sits on the back of the tank?

Hopefully after it's broken in the skimmer won't be so loud. It certainly looks like it was made for that fusion tank.

Thanks for posting that. I was able to hear the humming sound that you mentioned. That is the same issue I had with my Hydor, I just hope it isn't as bad as my Hydor, because if it is it will be getting returned and I'll just go skimmer less.

I had the Hydor, returned it because of slight figment issue. I had to run the overflow water level higher since the Hydor loads water through the top. So I didn't like that idea. But in my case the Hydor was at least half the noise this unit is generating. Actually the Hydor was nearly silent and pulling light skim from day 1. I really want to like this unit since it's like a mated pair with the tank... But if it's this noisy I don't know if I can put up with it. Not a real scientific way, but using my iPhone db meter app: 35 db at 1 feet away with skimmer OFF. 53db with 1 feet away with skimmer on. 50 db is about where you would be watching tv at.

Hey NuEoK, where did you get that fan that sits on the back of the tank?

Hopefully after it's broken in the skimmer won't be so loud. It certainly looks like it was made for that fusion tank.

That's a JEBO fan I got off amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/JEBO-F-60202-Aquarium-Cooling-System/dp/B00ESDPPW8/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1400689980&sr=8-6&keywords=Aquarium+fan

For those whom ordered the skimmer, please post a review so I can compare my unit.

Steensj2004

Mine too. UPS usually delivers to my office around 1:00

Awwww, Lucky, UPS never hits my place until around 6pm....ol

Archived