Cultivated Reef

Pre-ordered the ALL NEW Innovative Marine SkimMate Ghost Skimmer

IMSR80

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My skimmer and whole tank runs at about 45 dB. The trick I was given was close the air valve 100%, you will notice the noise gone. Now open the valve until the skimmer starts working again. With the valve open all the way the noise is much higher. If you open the valve barely it keeps the noise down. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks, but for the full size IM Ghost skimmer, the air valve is not adjustable at all. I tried to block it by hand, and it the noise level even higher.

Steensj2004

Thanks, but for the full size IM Ghost skimmer, the air valve is not adjustable at all. I tried to block it by hand, and it the noise level even higher.

Wow, really?!? That stinks!

What do you use the dial down the air inlet?

There is a air adjustment on the top of the skimmer.

Mine is finally skimming and operation very well. To bad I am considering getting out of the hobby for the most part. I might throw up a small pico or something, but that's it.

Wow, really?!? That stinks!

There is a air adjustment on the top of the skimmer.

Mine is finally skimming and operation very well. To bad I am considering getting out of the hobby for the most part. I might throw up a small pico or something, but that's it.

What happend? Why are you getting out?

Steensj2004

I'm not getting completely out... I'm just not happy with a nano. I hate it, I really wouldn't be happy with anything smaller than a 75. I hate not having a sump, or the space. I just can have the stuff I want in a small tank, and I don't wanna upgrade now, as we have started the house search and will likely be moving in 7-12 months. I HATE moving tanks, and I don't wanna move a 75+ gallon tank with my favorite things inside, lol. Like I said, I'll probably throw up a pico and keep a zoa garden till then.

Have the midsize running on a 30 gallon. It's skimming, but pretty light stuff. My pls-50 performs way better. Probably selling this thing.

Have the midsize running on a 30 gallon. It's skimming, but pretty light stuff. My pls-50 performs way better. Probably selling this thing.

How long have you had it?

Me too, my homemade skimmer made out of a fluorescent light tube does better than the ghost. I have the nano desktop, thing is loud as hell and only pulls out super light tan skimmate.

Its been on the tank for 3 weeks. I got a LITTLE bit better petformance by switching out the impeller/needlewheel with the one included with cadlights pump, but still not great. Not impressed at all. Especially considering the price.

Steensj2004

I have great results from mine.... I dunno what people expect, but nano skimmer aren't going to pull dark black skimmate like the bog boys.

I got really nervous after reading this thread, since I ordered mine (desktop version) for my IM 16. I had their old skimmer before, but it broke so I needed a new one anyways.

It's only been up 2 days, but so far it has been a much better experience than their first round. It is quieter than the old skimmate one, and the level seems much easier to manage. I took someones suggestion and started with the air valve completely closed, than slowly opening it to adjust.

Will report back in a week or two when it starts producing consistently.

Steensj2004
I got really nervous after reading this thread, since I ordered mine (desktop version) for my IM 16. I had their old skimmer before, but it broke so I needed a new one anyways.

It's only been up 2 days, but so far it has been a much better experience than their first round. It is quieter than the old skimmate one, and the level seems much easier to manage. I took someones suggestion and started with the air valve completely closed, than slowly opening it to adjust.

Will report back in a week or two when it starts producing consistently.

Exactly how I adjusted mine, cut the noise in half. I get excellent foam head and skimmate. I've tried every kinda nano skimmer and every one wasn't near the skimmer this is.

• 1 month later...

Well it has been just over a month.

Compared to their old skimmer, this one is far superior. The only skimmers I have experience with is the first IM Skimmate, the Avast Marine CS1, and this one.

Compared to the old IM skimmate, it is much easier to adjust, produces a much better foam, and it requires less frequent adjusting.

The noise doesn't bother me, and the tank sits behind me in my office. It is a bit quieter than the IM skimmate.

Very happy with it, but it does seem overpriced.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have been running mine now for 5 days, I have yet to get any foam build up. Currently I have the cup just barely in the water, so that there is 1 1/8 inch of the cup+lid showing above my IM16, and the air valve is ~ 50% open.. hard to tell exactly where. Im going to be patient with this for almost everyone advice is to give it more time to break in. There is a distinct noise difference when you open the air valve all the way. The production of micro-bubbles in the tank is now at its peak- though this only seems to happen when I close the valve all the way, then re-open it to get good agitation from the skimmer.

The obvious feeling among most of us is to push the cup down further below the water line which give the illusion of this particular unit of performing the way it should. Im trying not to follow the same routine, so if there is anyone out there with any new tricks or tips from those who have been successful with their setup.

THX!

• 2 months later...

So how this working out guys? I have a mid size coming :/

I have one and like it, took a couple weeks to get the micro bubbles to go away. Make sure though you have a ATO and the return chambers water level is right below the skimmer chamber, otherwise you get a water fall sound that will drive you nuts!

I have one and like it, took a couple weeks to get the micro bubbles to go away. Make sure though you have a ATO and the return chambers water level is right below the skimmer chamber, otherwise you get a water fall sound that will drive you nuts!

I see that u sold the skimmer. What are u using now?

Mine is still running fine. The skimmate is amber colored nothing darker or thicker.

Instructions say the bottom of the cup should be just above the water level in the body...if you push it down in any lower it doesn't do right. I keep the valve open pretty far; if it starts spilling water over the opening in the cup, I dial it down until the foam is just coming in.

So far so good.

Archived