SaltCritters.com

Pre-ordered the ALL NEW Innovative Marine SkimMate Ghost Skimmer

IMSR80

It has arrived! Now I just have to wait until 4 o'clock when I get home and get this bad boy in my tank!

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Steensj2004

It has arrived! Now I just have to wait until 4 o'clock when I get home and get this bad boy in my tank!

lol, Still waiting on mine, watching like a hawk.....dang UPS doesn't deliver early at my place :(

Steensj2004

Well, she is up and running, here are my thoughts.....

Cannot believe that the end f the box was damaged, they packaging was done very well....shame on you UPS!

post-79843-0-57861800-1400883607_thumb.jpeg

Out of the box, constructions is top notch! It is seamed, but the seams are very clean and well done. Collection cup is supurb, no complaints on the construction. The pump does need a firm push to seat. You need to press on the bottom of the pump and you will feel it seat the rest of the way.post-79843-0-74989200-1400883596_thumb.jpeg

Dropped right into the chamber, no problems at all. I have it running with the cup a hair higher than it came out of the box.

post-79843-0-19380000-1400883595_thumb.jpeg

Albeit, I am very happy with the skimmer. My DIY cover dampens some of the sound it puts out. IF you aren't sitting quietly you don't notice it, you can hear it run pretty easily, a definate drawback. It sounds like the impeller is rattling? We will see how it does the next few weeks.

post-79843-0-90011700-1400883566_thumb.jpeg

post-79843-0-04779500-1400883573_thumb.jpeg

Pros:

-Excellent Construction

-Perfect fit

-Already has a good foam head and seems to show promise

-Nearly 0 microbubbles from the start

Cons:

-A bit loud, I wonder if something is still loose in the pump...... Maybe it will quiet down over the next few days

Sweet! Looks like people are starting to get their products in.

Marine Depot did a blog about it also:

http://blog.marinedepot.com/2014/05/product-review-innovative-marine-ghost.html

The biggest drawback for me right now is the noise. In Marine Depot db rating showed with the pump on at 66 db. Thats around the noise level of someone talking to you... so its definitely not a silent pump. Hope a few more people can verify this. I want to make sure its not just me :)

Well, she is up and running, here are my thoughts.....

Cannot believe that the end f the box was damaged, they packaging was done very well....shame on you UPS!

attachicon.gif http://www.nano-reef.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=139296]image(142).jpeg[/url]

Out of the box, constructions is top notch! It is seamed, but the seams are very clean and well done. Collection cup is supurb, no complaints on the construction. The pump does need a firm push to seat. You need to press on the bottom of the pump and you will feel it seat the rest of the way.attachicon.gif http://www.nano-reef.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=139295]image(143).jpeg[/url]

Dropped right into the chamber, no problems at all. I have it running with the cup a hair higher than it came out of the box.

attachicon.gif http://www.nano-reef.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=139294]image(144).jpeg[/url]

Albeit, I am very happy with the skimmer. My DIY cover dampens some of the sound it puts out. IF you aren't sitting quietly you don't notice it, you can hear it run pretty easily, a definate drawback. It sounds like the impeller is rattling? We will see how it does the next few weeks.

attachicon.gif http://www.nano-reef.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=139292]image(146).jpeg[/url]

attachicon.gif http://www.nano-reef.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=139293]image(145).jpeg[/url]

Pros:

-Excellent Construction

-Perfect fit

-Already has a good foam head and seems to show promise

-Nearly 0 microbubbles from the start

Cons:

-A bit loud, I wonder if something is still loose in the pump...... Maybe it will quiet down over the next few days

Very nice write up sir. Glad they did not damage your new toy.

Steensj2004

Yeah, it's not quiet.... I wonder if a Sicce pump can be fitted on it or some aftermarket pump.... As long as you have stuff going on it isn't bad.... But it is pretty loud

Netsecpro have you taken it out of the box yet? I'm curious what you think of the build quality?

The build quality is great! The only drawback I have is that I am using it in a BioCube and it is made for a Nuvo. Since it is a little shorter than the chamber I have it sitting in, I made a little stand out of egg crate for it to sit on. It was putting a bunch of micro bubbles into my tank, so I cut out a piece of foam block and placed it inside the stand I made to try and baffle the bubbles. It helped, but I still have bubbles making it into the tank. Hopefully they subside in the next few days.

Overall, I am happy with this skimmer. Like Steens, the pump is a bit noisy, but I can deal with it. I am happy that it does not make the loud humming sound that my Hydor did. If it wasn't for the gargling sound, I wouldn't even notice it running. I'll keep my eye on this topic to see what other folks have done to quiet the pump or upgrade it to something a little more quiet.

In the end though, I am very satisfied with the product. I have attached a pic of the stand I built with egg crate and zip ties. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask!

post-84012-0-15876700-1400890229_thumb.jpg

I've had mine running for 3 days now, pretty annoyed about the fitment on the Nuvo 30. They expect you to remove one of the media baskets to fit the midsize version in, in return it totally submerses itself into the water because the chamber is taller than the skimmer, AND it just floats around in there because the media basket section of the tank is larger than the skimmer dimensions by a good half inch on all 4 sides.

So not only do you have to prop it up on something from the bottom, but you need to improvise and install some sort of padding so it sits still.

Hasn't pulled any skimmate yet, not sure if I need to adjust the height, the water level is just below the collection cup as they recommend.

Anybody chime in on their height for bubbles? I am skimming dry as I can....

I would think you adjust the dryness of the skimmer once the skimmer itself is broken in. Otherwise, you'll be fiddling with it for days if not weeks on end. I think that's the problem with some "skimmer problems"; patience is a virtue. Wait until you get a good thick foam head and then adjust for dryness.

Jeff

I've had mine running for 3 days now, pretty annoyed about the fitment on the Nuvo 30. They expect you to remove one of the media baskets to fit the midsize version in, in return it totally submerses itself into the water because the chamber is taller than the skimmer, AND it just floats around in there because the media basket section of the tank is larger than the skimmer dimensions by a good half inch on all 4 sides.

So not only do you have to prop it up on something from the bottom, but you need to improvise and install some sort of padding so it sits still.

Hasn't pulled any skimmate yet, not sure if I need to adjust the height, the water level is just below the collection cup as they recommend.

I think you have to put on a mag float inside to hold the unit. Honestly for you 30 I would consider looking at other options. Something like the Hydor skimmer... Will save you at least 100 bucks.

Still no skim mate for me. I have the cup siting pretty high so I skim dry, and my water level is about 3/4 inch from the top of the skimmer. Fortunately, the pump has quieted down considerably.

Steensj2004
Still no skim mate for me. I have the cup siting pretty high so I skim dry, and my water level is about 3/4 inch from the top of the skimmer. Fortunately, the pump has quieted down considerably.

How much is considerably.... Cause this mother effer is loud. Haven't checked mine this morning.... Hit the booze a bit hard last night and been pretty lazy this morning.... I can hear the dang thing running though.

Steensj2004

Micro bubbles are getting worse.... Noise still up(May try the Vaseline suggestion), and no head or foam yet. Starting to lose some faith, the huge amount of micro bubbles are my biggest concern at the moment.

Yeah, the bubbles are getting on my nerves. I have mine sitting in the 2nd chamber next to an InTank media rack, and after a close look, I see bubbles coming from the side I the skimmer. I need to pull it out and take a look and see where those bubbles are coming from. I'm hoping to get some skim from it within the next 24-48 hours. My water is clean, but I know it's not that clean.

I thnk I found the cause of my micro bubbles. After closer inspection they seem to be coming from where the black tubing goes into the recirculator area. I'm going to pull it I pout tomorrow and make sure the hose fits tight. If it doesn't, I'm going to out a little bit of silicone sealant on it. You would think that you wouldn't have to do something like that on such a high priced piece of equipment. I'm starting to regret my decision on buying this.

Steens, you might want to take your pump apart and put it back together to make sure everything is tight. As of now, my return pump is louder than the pump on the skimmer. Good luck!

Steensj2004

Well, no skimmate yet, some slight brown film building. Skimmer pump seems to have quieted down some.... I actually had to readjust the air valve as it changed overnight. Micro bubbles are backing way off.... Just hoping this thing kicks in soon. Like you said, I know my water is clean, but dang.... I even overfed a little to get something in the water lmao. I wish I had another tank, I would fill it up and dump the skimmate from all my LFS skimmers into it to speed up the process, then transfer Into my tank. Hahah

Steensj2004

Frustrated....anyone else getting any skim from this yet...I can't even get the bubbles moving up the next past the tapered part......sigh.

Archived