Top Shelf Aquatics

Kat's Tea Party Under the Tree - Retired

metrokat

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've set up a pico in one of these before. I'll give you a few tips for the tank (I didn't read the entire thread so if I'm repeating anything...).

First off the overflow needs to be modified. By default it's horrible and doesn't overflow anything and it will leave a ton of surface scum on the water.

The pump needs to be lowered off of that little plastic pedestal they put it on. I'm not even sure why it's there in the first place. A nozzle put on the return might be beneficial but it isn't a must have.

Plug the bottom "overflow" thinger.

Silicone over the screws that hold the light on. They aren't stainless and will rust out very fast.

The leds were able to keep kenya tree and some zoas/palys for several months before tearing it down for a planted tank. I threw those along with a peppermint shrimp in there and basically let it go on cruise control. With the very minimal evap it didn't need top offs for a very long time.

I've set up a pico in one of these before. I'll give you a few tips for the tank (I didn't read the entire thread so if I'm repeating anything...).

First off the overflow needs to be modified. By default it's horrible and doesn't overflow anything and it will leave a ton of surface scum on the water.

The pump needs to be lowered off of that little plastic pedestal they put it on. I'm not even sure why it's there in the first place. A nozzle put on the return might be beneficial but it isn't a must have.

Plug the bottom "overflow" thinger.

Silicone over the screws that hold the light on. They aren't stainless and will rust out very fast.

The leds were able to keep kenya tree and some zoas/palys for several months before tearing it down for a planted tank. I threw those along with a peppermint shrimp in there and basically let it go on cruise control. With the very minimal evap it didn't need top offs for a very long time.

Hi Chewy, I think you're talking about the old cubey. I have the new model. I wrote up the difference between the old and the new AFAIK in this post http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/344571-opinions-on-jbj-cubey/?p=4712953

Ah ok. I didn't know there was a new version out. It looks like they fixed the overflow (good thing too because the original was badong). I still wouldn't put much stock in the lighting, but who knows. What about the screws? That was one of the big problems with the original one. A week over salt water and they were rusted hunks.

Nom nom nom

Since the tank is empty, I put a test frag covered with bryopsis with twiddle dee and twiddle dumb (lettuce nudis). According to Blue Zoo aquatics, lettuce nudi branches eat only bryopsis. We shall see soon enough won't we. This guy hasn't moved from the plug though.

It appears as if the lettuce nudi branches are munching on the bryopsis. The one that was on the frag has not moved and the bryopsis seems less on it. I added another frag and placed the 2nd nudi on it a few minutes ago.

It is possible that this tank becomes a nudibranch habitat.....

I think that's exactly what this should be in you can make it happen

hypostatic

Oh man you could totally get some flatworms and blue velvet nudis. And maybe you can also get those cali nudis and their hydroids

Hydroids would be tough unless somebody had a small piece of rock with them. However after the nudi ate them it would die since I'm not sure how long before the hydroids re-generated. Just looking at the 2 lettuce nudis though, it's gonna be a year before they eat the frag plug bryopsis.

And I actually have the flatworms so heheheh

hypostatic

Hmmm well i found this article saying that some scientists grew SOME hydroid exponentially in breakers by feeding them Artemia larvae.http://m.sciencemag.org/content/132/3425/473.abstract

Here's another paper on hydroid culture also saying that they fed them with artemia

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=sih4U__jFYnfsAT-_YG4Dw&url=http://www.int-res.com/articles/meps/1/m001p223.pdf&cd=6&ved=0CD8QFjAF&usg=AFQjCNHEc1vPAwZxRwjrZdYICfxMBkc1YQ&sig2=InGLf88H4l0tfi_CfhYuhg

BUT i think you could keep them mostly fed with detritus. Like, don't people usually find them and complain about them as pests in their tanks?

Archived