Pod Your Reef

Rock Flower Anemone Information and Appreciation Thread

Mirya

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 11:26 PM, jet915 said:

My porcelain anenome crab finally decided to host on my rfas instead of my btas..

20180910_175700.jpg

Nice  porcelain anemone crab I waited months for my LFS to get one in for my RFA's and when I finally got one my super territorial Maroon Clown pulled all of its legs off except for its far back ones and its claws over night so I put it in the refugium but it only lasted two days like that.

1 hour ago, ReefFish said:

That's a super nice RFA baby.

This one in the middle looked just like that one when it was small but lost the white when it got big.

IMG_20180621_164826.jpg

Those are nice.  Imagine the baby with all of their colors 🙂

• Like 1
On 9/13/2018 at 8:36 AM, ReefFish said:

Nice  porcelain anemone crab I waited months for my LFS to get one in for my RFA's and when I finally got one my super territorial Maroon Clown pulled all of its legs off except for its far back ones and its claws over night so I put it in the refugium but it only lasted two days like that.

This is my second go around, my first one was missing a claw but I drove 1 hour to get him.  Lasted 2 days.  This one has been with me for 2 weeks so hopefully he survives....

Had the day off because of Florence, but everything was fine around us so I ventured out and got these two yellow beauties 😍 they were $35, but got 2 for $60...they are small but still adjusting, hope they expand as they settle inimage.thumb.jpeg.69bbad29276e40d4424cb6c071af3408.jpeg 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Wow 2
43 minutes ago, My tiny reef said:

Had the day off because of Florence, but everything was fine around us so I ventured out and got these two yellow beauties 😍 they were $35, but got 2 for $60...they are small but still adjusting, hope they expand as they settle inimage.thumb.jpeg.69bbad29276e40d4424cb6c071af3408.jpeg 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Those are stunners

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
52 minutes ago, My tiny reef said:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Wow good deal 😁

• Like 1

So I noticed an RFA spawning tonight and grabbed the camera.  The second half is, what I believe was the reaction from a female RFA.  It was at about 6 PM (two hours before lights out).

• Like 1
  • Wow 4
1 hour ago, seabass said:

So I noticed an RFA spawning tonight and grabbed the camera.  The second half is, what I believe was the reaction from a female RFA.  It was at about 6 PM (two hours before lights out).

Neeeeeeeeeeat.

• Like 1

Another piece of information that might be surprising to some of you.  The male in the video (although mature) is only 1¼" in diameter.  I don't typically target feed my RFAs, so I suspect that affects their size.  Although some are much larger than others (up to 4" in diameter).

• Like 3

Mine was spawning last night also.  It's not quite the equinox, but pretty darned close.  Started at around 9pm and lasted for an hour or so.   I used a pipette to direct it to my other RFA, so maybe there will be babies.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, holy carp said:

Mine was spawning last night also.  It's not quite the equinox, but pretty darned close.  Started at around 9pm and lasted for an hour or so.   I used a pipette to direct it to my other RFA, so maybe there will be babies.

Hope so!

I’ve got my eye on my tank hoping mine get their act in gear! 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, seabass said:

Another piece of information that might be surprising to some of you.  The male in the video (although mature) is only 1¼" in diameter.  I don't typically target feed my RFAs, so I suspect that affects their size.  Although some are much larger than others (up to 4" in diameter).

That’s interesting. Any idea how old that male is? Or how long have you had it? 

2 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

Any idea how old that male is? Or how long have you had it? 

It's either more than 10 years old, or was a baby and now is at least 3 years old.  TBH, I haven't kept track.  All I know is that I haven't purchased a RFA in the last 10 years.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, tofer said:

So  with this evening being the equinox . 

I will be out at a event  should I turn off my skimmer  or anything else in case of a spawning event  ? 

It usually occurs around this time not necessarily on the day so I would just let it be.  (I say that as mine just hit it right on the day) 

If you happen to catch it happening you can turn off the filtration and just leave the flow pumps on for a bit. Or better yet use a turkey baster and target the females if you know which is which. 

• Thanks 1

Hello all.  Getting my first rfa's Wednesday from AquaSD.  It's taken me a while to get through all 102 pages of this thread and I might have missed the best way to acclimate a shipped rfa.  So how do you do it?  I've read to float the bag for about 20 minutes then put the nems on a surface for another 15 or 20 minutes to expel much of the shipped water.  Then place in my tank.  Is that about it?  No drip?  

Tia, David

15 minutes ago, Baldguy said:

Hello all.  Getting my first rfa's Wednesday from AquaSD.  It's taken me a while to get through all 102 pages of this thread and I might have missed the best way to acclimate a shipped rfa.  So how do you do it?  I've read to float the bag for about 20 minutes then put the nems on a surface for another 15 or 20 minutes to expel much of the shipped water.  Then place in my tank.  Is that about it?  No drip?  

Tia, David

This how I’ve been doing it and it’s worked well for me:

https://www.gotcorals.com/single-post/2018/08/17/Rock-Flower-Care-Instructions

• Like 1

It's been more than ten years since I've purchased one, but I just temperature acclimated (floated the bag) for something like 20 minutes, shut off most (or all) of the flow, picked a nice spot for them (slight depression in the rock, moderate flow, decent but not intense light), then placed them.  You want to wait for them to attach their foot and not just their tentacles before turning the flow back up.

To handle anemones, I usually use a slotted spoon.  RFAs aren't quite as sticky as say a mini carpet, but I've always done it, and it seems to work alright.