HM's soon to be off brand upgrade

HM3105

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update :flower:

Charging the Nikon battery....I've been hanging my head in shame lately. I've got no idea whats going wrong with my reef. I've got zoas melting, LPS melting, Montis bleaching/turning brown while growing. And all of that is selective, so most of my LPS look completely fine. Others are slowly melting. Same with the Zoas. So confused. So put your thinking caps on gents!

Alk - 9.3

Calc - 430

Nitrates - 0

I've had more diatoms on the glass lately and bubble algae so I know I have some high nutrients. I've increased my weekly water changes from 10% to 20% using Red Sea Coral Pro and 0 TDS water to help get them under control but I have no idea where its coming from.

SpankythePyro

Charging the Nikon battery....I've been hanging my head in shame lately. I've got no idea whats going wrong with my reef. I've got zoas melting, LPS melting, Montis bleaching/turning brown while growing. And all of that is selective, so most of my LPS look completely fine. Others are slowly melting. Same with the Zoas. So confused. So put your thinking caps on gents!

Alk - 9.3

Calc - 430

Nitrates - 0

I've had more diatoms on the glass lately and bubble algae so I know I have some high nutrients. I've increased my weekly water changes from 10% to 20% using Red Sea Coral Pro and 0 TDS water to help get them under control but I have no idea where its coming from.

I lost a royal urchin today... dunno why no changes at all

Right side

Right%20side_zpscdzx1fye.jpg

Left side

Left%20side_zpsszobbl60.jpg

The zoa isle

1-DSC_0080_zpsbgrkfjno.jpg

Pumpkin seeds

1-DSC_0082_zpsg65tazbv.jpg

Rastas and Capt. Americas (btw the Capt. America eat pellets and grow crazy)

1-DSC_0083_zpsueznfqku.jpg

This is CB or JF Pink somethingoranother. Since I suck at taking pictures I can't capture any of the real color.

1-DSC_0088_zpsrlkvihw5.jpg

Upclose with my red Blasto

1-DSC_0104_zpsbvagyats.jpg

Sunset monti?

1-DSC_0111_zpsq9n2rspm.jpg

Big Green Palys?

1-DSC_0113_zpscajict5h.jpg

Sunny D's

1-DSC_0114_zpsfdcp9018.jpg

and my nems, still perched in the main island.

1-DSC_0117_zpsqpgb0zvn.jpg

This is for you lawn, these are my clowns

1-DSC_0121_zpshwxixzw6.jpg

Alk - 9.3

Calc - 430

Nitrates - 0

What is your alk normally?? Personally for the most part I like it lower and have had better stability with overall health in lower ranges personally..... but if your normally running 9's I wouldn't think that to be the reason for the melting.... temps fluctuating at all with the summer heat? I'm sure A/C is pretty much a requirement to survive down there as I haven't shut mine off in months up here even but just a thought incase your used to the heat :wacko:

What is your alk normally?? Personally for the most part I like it lower and have had better stability with overall health in lower ranges personally..... but if your normally running 9's I wouldn't think that to be the reason for the melting.... temps fluctuating at all with the summer heat? I'm sure A/C is pretty much a requirement to survive down there as I haven't shut mine off in months up here even but just a thought incase your used to the heat :wacko:

No 9's is fairly stable for me. I used to aim for 10 or so but generally it stays around 9.5.

I don't think my temp is moving around, I've been keeping an eye on it and it looks to be right at 78-79 which is usually where I keep it. My house is usually only a couple of degrees cooler and I don't really have anything that should be adding much heat to the tank.

I think I have amphipods eating my corals or some other pest I haven't seen. Doesn't explain the montis though or the birdnest that completely RTN'd on me. Its wierd though, whatever is going on is colony specific. A hard coral or zoa colony will suffer, slowly wither away and die while all the others are acting completely normal.

Amphipods use to munch my polyps every single night. I ended up spot feeding my fish and starving them out.

My dogs are going in for their annual checkups, I'm going to see if they'll sell me some interceptor and I'm going to nuke the tank with that!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I know my blues are up, I'll get something better once everyone has calmed down...

Probably my favorite piece I found today...bright pink body, green eyes and rim..

1-DSC_0002_zpshfsqosal.jpg

a starter stick ( I actually got three sticks in total)

1-DSC_0006_zpsdmwtp3ax.jpg

Here are the best pics I could get of my new corals, I took these with a Nikon D5300 and then adjusted white balance in light room. Why the heck are they so freakin BRIGHT?

Yellow jackets? they were not named on a $15 rack, they had yellow jackets in the store and they looked identical...

DSC_0013_zpsigtkyfzd.jpg

This monti really is that green too...

DSC_0011_zpsxpgziccz.jpg

DSC_0015_zpsgdzx7l6v.jpg

These should have white skirts.

DSC_0017_zps4jmkhos9.jpg

These are a light purple with green mouths and purple tipped skirts. Again I REALLY need help understanding why my pictures ended up so bright.

DSC_0019_zpswjocbyvq.jpg

Stick 1

DSC_0023_zpsdtodvezo.jpg

Stick 2 (they said it was a red planet)

DSC_0025_zpsmhtgdclg.jpg

Stick 3

DSC_0028_zpsteuyif4u.jpg

Chalice :wub:

DSC_0031_zpsadq3x1bj.jpg

Lawn sent me a box a while back and I never put pictures up :( This is one of the chalices he sent which is amazing, its a much deeper orange in person.

DSC_0033_zpsjibb7cah.jpg

This is a chalice a got a while ago. Growing super slow.

DSC_0032_zpsoiqecft3.jpg

Nem...

DSC_0035_zpsbnfwazgg.jpg

DSC_0036_zps4iz3iq3w.jpg

blue/purple stylo..

DSC_0039_zps0c0oq2k4.jpg

WOW you got some nice new corals man. That chalice is a beauty :wub:

Thanks man, once it grows out I'll get you a frag. I've got some pumpkin patch and bubblegum monster I can proly send you at some point too if you're interested.

Apparently shooting in RAW helps Lightroom white balance stuff...

These are two from my bus trip. I'll get better pictures of the rest in a day or so.

DSC_0077_zpsbcmr6ruz.jpg

DSC_0076_zpsjrumj2yi.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Interceptor dose has been added to the tank :scarry:

Just Interceptor.... or interceptor spectrum or whatever it is called.... They haven't made the original interceptor in years.

Just Interceptor.... or interceptor spectrum or whatever it is called.... They haven't made the original interceptor in years.

The flavor tab one, doesn't say spectrum...I put one pill of the 11-25 lbs pack in for my system which I estimate had 50~ gallons of water.

The flavor tab one, doesn't say spectrum...I put one pill of the 11-25 lbs pack in for my system which I estimate had 50~ gallons of water.

Wow, just did a google search.... didn't know they brought it back on the market..... AWESOME! :)

For what? To kill amphipods?

Wow, just did a google search.... didn't know they brought it back on the market..... AWESOME! :)

Yup, I was at my vet and told him what I was using it for and he just said "oh ok yeah just have them call us and we'll approve the prescription".

When I was at MACNA, i bought a small convict chalice nub, it had looked fine all week and then I came home Thursday and it was pretty much completely gone, right down to the skeleton. This is the second chalice frag that has done that to me in the last month. I've also got a few other chalices receding and I have no idea whats going on it.

I'm hoping its amphipods, like two weeks ago I put a new paly frag in my tank and I was sitting there look at it and something in the rock work was moving the frag. I don't have anything that should be doing that.

I'm very consistent on my dosing regime. I dose alk in the morning before I go to work and calcium when I get home. 5% WC every week. I have three sticks in there and they are coloring up, have great PE and I think are growing. So I have no idea what is going on.

For what? To kill amphipods?

Yes. Every crustacean. I don't use crabs or had shrimp.

Yup, I was at my vet and told him what I was using it for and he just said "oh ok yeah just have them call us and we'll approve the prescription".

When I was at MACNA, i bought a small convict chalice nub, it had looked fine all week and then I came home Thursday and it was pretty much completely gone, right down to the skeleton. This is the second chalice frag that has done that to me in the last month. I've also got a few other chalices receding and I have no idea whats going on it.

I'm hoping its amphipods, like two weeks ago I put a new paly frag in my tank and I was sitting there look at it and something in the rock work was moving the frag. I don't have anything that should be doing that.

I'm very consistent on my dosing regime. I dose alk in the morning before I go to work and calcium when I get home. 5% WC every week. I have three sticks in there and they are coloring up, have great PE and I think are growing. So I have no idea what is going on.

Yes. Every crustacean. I don't use crabs or had shrimp.

I didn't know Amphipods would eat coral.

I have a TON of huge ones at night, but haven't seen any bad side effects. They just eat chalices?

Archived