ReefCleaners.org

HM's soon to be off brand upgrade

HM3105

Yep.
Well hot freaking damn.

Technically they are now saltwater fish... :D They have the ability to go between fresh and salt they just aren't "in the ocean" where normal marine fish come from. Ben was saying he'd see them in the Gulf (or maybe the Atlantic) before. There are actually a surprising number of threads going back a few years where people added Mollies as a CUC or just for kicks and giggles. I am hoping they take out the small GHA and byropsis I have. If not I'll just return them or regift them to someone. I didn't want to get a tang or rabbit fish because catching them is a PITB. I've been told Lawnmowers get terratorial as they age. So I figured I would start with these. Oh also with tomorrow's water change I am going to start running GFO. I've never used it for fear of stunting my coral's growth by stripping the water of all the nutrients.
What kind of GFO do you have? Whatever you do don't use BRS GFO calculator. I run 3-4 teaspoons of high capacity GFO in my system and it's 65-70 gallons.
  • Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and 4 hours later they are swimming...I don't know what I was thinking buying 4 of them......yes there are only 3 of them in the pic the other one is hiding.

IMAG0660_zps83dpkcbk.jpg

That female (top one) looks preggo.... babies will live if theres nothing to eat them. My clowns enjoyed the snack and I've gotta admit it was kinda fun watching them show their natural hunting instincts chasing them down :lol:

That female (top one) looks preggo.... babies will live if theres nothing to eat them. My clowns enjoyed the snack and I've gotta admit it was kinda fun watching them show their natural hunting instincts chasing them down :lol:

I've got four large chromis that I'm sure will appreciate the snack!

• 3 weeks later...

This Sunday :fingerscrossed: ?

Yes I took some pics but you'll have to excuse my algae issues, haven't been able to clean this week....

Today is Sunday. THE sunday.

Alright well only like a week late but I'm not super never stop going man like Jack (see Lawn's thread, then you'll understand). Anyway, my algae issues seem to be coming under control, I did a massive cleaning last week and started running GFO so I *hope* that is getting stuff moving again. I will say that since i removed a lot of algae that had accumulated my corals look healthier so I'm hoping with the algae no longer competing as much it means they'll be able to take more nutrients from the water column that the algae was previously using.

I think something I'd like to consider doing is dosing silica (silicate maybe?) to spur diatom growth. I was listening to my reef pod cast on the way home and it seemed like diatoms are the algae plague that starves out other algaes. Couple that with their easier to remove and slightly more tolerable as far as appearence goes. This requires more research though. I'm sure Jedi will be along to give me a slew of links to read.

Anyway, on with the pics!

Still my fav...

IMG_0077_zps2zwnsffp.jpg

One of my two sticks..simply rainbow stylo, it grows like a weed for me but I mainly have it for fragging purposes

IMG_0085_zps8spls7lw.jpg

Coral Gardens Aquaculture was nice enough to send these to me in trade, the picture isn't doing it justice though.

IMG_0084_zpsn6pxvcgk.jpg

IMG_0083_zpsp02tz18l.jpg

My rainbow nem....growing fast this thing is getting huge!

IMG_0067_zps4r6pzqay.jpg

So glad my Rastas are doing well

IMG_0081_zpsl3x03ytt.jpg

This is Zoa hill...

IMG_0082_zps1jkxvbyj.jpg

This Sunday : fingerscrossed: ?

Today is Sunday. THE sunday.

Alright there new pics...sorry they are crappy by camera didn't focus and the lights we're out by the time I sat down to upload them.

jedimasterben

jesus christ that's a lot of coralline.

In all my reading, silica (or sodium silicate as would be the kind you dose) won't really make a difference against established algae. Only Nualgi is dumb enough to really claim otherwise lol. You'll notice sponge growth, feather duster explosions, and maybe a slight change in the film algae on the glass.

A word of caution, mix a tiny amount (I dose around 2mL at a time to my tank) in a large amount of RO/DI water. Sodium silicate has an insanely high pH and when dosed directly to the tank will cause magnesium to precipitate out in a crazy snowstorm. I have to mix mine in almost a liter of RO/DI to get it to not do that lol.

This is what happens when you go to a local reefer's house to buy one frag....

Suppose to be a CAR?

IMG_0092_zpspom1sao7.jpg

I don't remember what these are.

IMG_0098_zpsqm62htlc.jpg

I think these were called Johnny Pumpkin Seed? never heard of it. Pretty though. they're kind of gold with a blue mouth.

IMG_0099_zps4mgdzp87.jpg

Have I mentioned how much I love this one?

IMG_0094_zpskow97wy2.jpg

Tweaked my lighting schedule, so now my blues are on a little longer at full power in the evening.

IMG_0106_zpsdysnxt3x.jpg

IMG_0107_zpsjrphlr8l.jpg

And a current FTS...well half anyway...but all the fish posed...

IMG_0100_zpscolvv50s.jpg

Looks good man!

IMG_0106_zpsdysnxt3x.jpg

What is the chalice in the middle called????

I bought it as a pink boobies, those eyes are yellow when you can see them.

Looks awesome.. Those mollies eating that algae?

cant really tell but there hasnt been much coming back after i took a bunch of it out...so maybe?

So here are the new acquisitions for this week, I got these from a local reefer. I really have a addiction.

Mummy eye chalice

IMG_0121-001_zps9g0skyu5.jpg

Armour of God

IMG_0124-001_zpspiilo40v.jpg

Rainbow palys

IMG_0129-001_zps6d6xgill.jpg

I also got some red hornets but I couldn't get a good picture of them.

I just thought this was a cool pic, I think these are called something with "pumpkin seed" in the name. I got them last week though. like I said its an addiction.

IMG_0128-001_zpsaucdf2de.jpg

So I can't tell if my growth is "good" or "poor"

When I bought it on 11/28/14

IMG_9784_zpsd5088568.jpg

Now

IMG_0130-001_zps07hqk4y0.jpg

When I bought it on 10/31/14

IMG_9685_zpsecb9bb8b.jpg

Now

IMG_0131-001_zpsb79bcbez.jpg

Well since its Icepocalypse here in Dallas, I'm off to do a water change.....

• 2 weeks later...

So I updated my aquascape, the way I had it before with a large piece going nearly to the top of the tank it was keeping me from positioning my Jebao's and getting good flow throughout the tank. small changes that hopefully yield bigger results.

IMG_0144-001_zpsscdonynp.jpg

This is a new zoa, I picked it up in celebration of completing the largest project of the year at work.

IMG_0141-001_zpsfndoxjmp.jpg

These are just some random pictures I took around the tank.

IMG_0146-001_zpsqj1hk6ji.jpg

IMG_0148-001_zps89o1xntv.jpg

IMG_0152-001_zpsvkvr7kgj.jpgIMG_0153-001_zpsa5r9kukb.jpg

Zoa hill

IMG_0154-001_zps4doplnue.jpg

Favia from CGA (thanks Glenn!)

IMG_0151_zps1btxtahm.jpg

From the frag rack, and the nem which is getting huge..when do these things split???

IMG_0147_zpssqyzqknf.jpg

SpankythePyro

god that starboard is covered in corals and coraline! Did you end up using silicone to seal it to the bottom pane?

Looks really good man!

Thanks man

Impressive tank. Love the variety here. Keep up the good work!

Thanks!, I'm battling some GHA and Byropsis but hopefully its passing away soon and then I think it'll look better.

god that starboard is covered in corals and coraline! Did you end up using silicone to seal it to the bottom pane?

I did not glue it to the bottom. I actually screwed up and ordered my starboard like 4" too narrow so I have a channel all around the edges. Sort of nice though because most of the detritus hits the channel and sits there so it makes it easy to clean on WC day.

I am actually running out of room for corals which is somewhat annoying, I've got some Matrix culturing in the sump so I am anticipating removing half of the rock on the right side at some point this year to make some more room. Silly chalices with their sweepers.

My gawd you have a lot of LPS :wub: looks really good man. Is that BTA on the rack? I have had them split at 4 inches and sometimes they won't split until 12 inches.

Archived