Coral Vue Hydros

HM's soon to be off brand upgrade

HM3105

My gawd you have a lot of LPS :wub: looks really good man. Is that BTA on the rack? I have had them split at 4 inches and sometimes they won't split until 12 inches.

Nope its just near it, I need to move some stuff around because it is starting to sting some things. I wish my dang clowns would move into it though!

Oh yes and yesterday I bought another chalice frag....I have a problem. I just moved that frogspawn too, it started its up to 6 heads now, I bought it a year ago at two heads.

Hey what are your thoughts on my chalice growth rate? Just curious if what I am seeing is "good" or "average". You run t5s so I am also curious how the grow rates compare (I know not everything is equal).

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your growth rate is pretty freaking awesome I would say above average. From what I can tell from your pics my growth is just a tiny bit faster under T5. But that could just be more nutrients and not lights etc. You don't have a problem in my book :lol: I am looking forward to getting 10-15 more chalices. I actually lost 5 when I did the swap :(. Greg (hillbilly) has been holding a convict I got from one of his buddies for about 2 months now. So looking forward to that beauty.

Your growth rate is pretty freaking awesome I would say above average. From what I can tell from your pics my growth is just a tiny bit faster under T5. But that could just be more nutrients and not lights etc. You don't have a problem in my book :lol: I am looking forward to getting 10-15 more chalices. I actually lost 5 when I did the swap :(. Greg (hillbilly) has been holding a convict I got from one of his buddies for about 2 months now. So looking forward to that beauty.

Well I've got that pumpkin patch and a bubble gum monster that should be ready to frag soon. May be next week I'll give it a go and I can send them your way if you're interested.

If there is anything else in there you might like let me know, I'm game for learning how to ship.

• 2 weeks later...

So I drove across the Metroplex this weekend to go buy three frags. Otherwise nothing super major going on here. My rasta's are acting a little weird though. I am hoping it is because I moved them up about 6-8" and they just decided they didn't like the light there.

Suppose to be Acid Reflux, my camera isn't picking up the flecks of orange in the skirts very well.

Acid%20Reflux2-001_zpsv6ekkdxo.jpg

No idea what either of these two are.

Unknown1-001_zpswxccosmy.jpg

Unknown3-001_zpsi2rsqpcq.jpg

And my rasta's lookin goofy..

Rasta_zps6fwf8uti.jpg

There is suppose to be a frag swap in like two weeks so maybe I will pick up a couple of things there.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

been fighting various things in the tank lately, byropsis and zoa eating nudis, also I think I have something that is munching on zoas too but I can't seem to find it and it only attacks small polyps. The larger ones seem to be unaffected.

To combat the byropsis, after using GFO, I used Tech M. The Tech M worked after about a week however three of my zoa colonies (Gatorades, Midas Gold and Red People Eaters) did not react well to the treatment. I've ultimately lost the Gatorade colony, the Midas Gold and RPE seem to be recovering.

One day, while looking at some recently acquired zoas, I noticed a nudi. Looking around at a few other colonies I then saw various egg sacks which I promptly removed. I must have missed one because a week or so later I saw a couple of baby nudis. I then purchased some flatworm exit and dosed the tank. At this point I am keeping a watchful eye on my zoas for any more nudis and to date I haven't seen any.

So, with all that out of the way, I went to a frag swap today since I hadn't really added any new corals in several weeks while I was working out the above. I apologize for some of these pictures being dark, we got a new DSLR and I'm still working out how to use it.

17112585921_c2b0ab40b2_b.jpg

I picked up about 6 frags, I was doing really well with my budget and as I was leaving I stopped at one last local reefer and he made me a deal, $100 for a CB Flaming Pink Chalice, WWC Toxic Pie, and another CB Favia. I thought it was a good deal so I went for it.

16927129569_3129035c3b_b.jpg

16925603488_683f522635_b.jpg

17112713641_2602ba07bf_b.jpg

These are just some corals I've had but could never get a very good picture of.

16492967653_6a5b41abc0_b.jpg

17111558462_7b7d62231c_b.jpg

16925602340_2eb5deace9_b.jpg

16925323338_0ea2ab15fb_b.jpg

17111650072_507deda235_b.jpg

17111740022_3951073fde_b.jpg

Still working on using the new camera, if anyone has some advice for taking pictures let me know. I've been reading up on it and doing some trial and error at this point.

Close up a chalice, using a reverse mounted lense

16933810927_22c92cd219_b.jpg

Acid Reflux Palys

17152840615_562b0bf73e_b.jpg

Mohawks

17152203801_817bfaa85d_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Evening everyone,

Decided to do a little fraggin today since I was doing my normal water change anyway. I think i made about 10 stylo's (I bought them local as rainbows but I'm pretty sure they aren't) and 3 rainbow monti frags. Well after I already made the cuts is occured to me my frag rack was already full. So I just used a piece of black eggcrate I had left over from another project and strung right between my two main rock structures. Yeah it doesn't look great but its temporary..

16648894374_639553745c.jpg

Oh yeah and my nem is pissed off because it was out of water during the water change. The jerk moved from one end of the tank to the other and now it looks like he is heading that way again, ugh..

17271326755_11e04b6ec6.jpg

Meet my new amphipod killing wrasse beast mode...

17293722192_8933521575.jpg

Stupid little buggers have killed their last zoa! (I hope)...

• 3 weeks later...

Nice looking yellow wrasse. I got one 2 weeks ago. Haven't seen him since. Yours looks healthy though.

He is doing well and is eating flake like a hog, he better keep eating pods though because I want those dead.

Spent some time experimenting with the settings this weekend including with the blues on just for kicks..
17614455048_a89a87786a_c.jpg
17802683491_6ea3973802_c.jpg
17614380238_97b9beeaf7_c.jpg
17799392002_62aeaf1ca5_c.jpg
17181773823_c3b80eac98_c.jpg
  • 4 weeks later...

So my nems being the crazy awesome people they are decided to park it right in the middle of one of my main coral islands...pretty jerks...

DSC_0175-001_zpsyhwia3kd.jpg

Also, zoas.

DSC_0179_zpsabog9k7q.jpg

And my sweet shroom which has three babies now. Best $5 ever.

DSC_0074-001_zpsofpqdims.jpg

Them zoas are really bad ass my friend.

And I have a wandering nem myself, it seems for some reason to like to park on or next to my spongodes coral.

How are you liking the wrasse? I really like having one in my tank,model citizen (knock on wood lol)

Them zoas are really bad ass my friend.

And I have a wandering nem myself, it seems for some reason to like to park on or next to my spongodes coral.

How are you liking the wrasse? I really like having one in my tank,model citizen (knock on wood lol)

The wrasse is nice, he really adds some color to the tank. However I think he attacked all my astrea and mexican turbo snails as now I have shells without snails. I didn't think they would do that though and I'm starting to wonder if there isn't something else in my tank eating things. I've been having trouble with something eating zoas lately but I haven't seen any pests at night.

Man you really need to cut me some Zoas ... Like for real

Which ones? I've actually never fragged anything in this tank...

• 2 weeks later...

We need more updates on this beauty. So are you dosing this beast?

Yeah I dose ~15 mil of B-ionic daily, my Alk is usually running around 9-10 with my Calcium around 450. Mag was running around 1300-1400 as I was battling some Byropsis using Tech M. It worked but wiped our my Gatorade colony :(.

I also do a 10% water change weekly using RS Coral Pro ($60 a bucket).

I'm getting ready to do an interceptor treatment, I've got something EATING zoas and I believe its Amphipods :furious: . All new Zoas have been going into the frag tank until I get this under control. Stupid wrasse is lazy. :furious:

Yeah I dose ~15 mil of B-ionic daily, my Alk is usually running around 9-10 with my Calcium around 450. Mag was running around 1300-1400 as I was battling some Byropsis using Tech M. It worked but wiped our my Gatorade colony :(.

I also do a 10% water change weekly using RS Coral Pro ($60 a bucket).

I'm getting ready to do an interceptor treatment, I've got something EATING zoas and I believe its Amphipods :furious: . All new Zoas have been going into the frag tank until I get this under control. Stupid wrasse is lazy. :furious:

You dosing both parts 15 mil? My alk is 9-10 and my calcium is about 480. I had a problem with pods eating my polyps years ago. Back then I only had 5-6 fish so I would drop a couple pieces of flake food in and wait for the fish to eat it all. Once they stopped eating I stopped feeding the tank. I noticed when I broadcast fed my tsnk the pods were eating it to. So I starved those little bastards off :)

You dosing both parts 15 mil? My alk is 9-10 and my calcium is about 480. I had a problem with pods eating my polyps years ago. Back then I only had 5-6 fish so I would drop a couple pieces of flake food in and wait for the fish to eat it all. Once they stopped eating I stopped feeding the tank. I noticed when I broadcast fed my tsnk the pods were eating it to. So I starved those little bastards off :)

Yep, both parts!

I think mine are attacking my polyps because I've been starving them. I used to target feed my corals with pellets 2-3 times a week and naturally some of those pellets didn't get ingested or missed the target. So during the Byropsis battle I also stopped feeding as much trying to starve the algae. I think that's really when it took off. I could be completely wrong though, all I know for certain is that I keep ending up with nubs of polyps that were completely healthy the day before. They aren't melting, they're literally disappearing overnight. The latest victims were my CAR, I had three polyps all perfectly open and healthy, the next day one was closed, the day after that I had a pointy nub left. Yanked them out and put them in the frag tank to let them recover. It is extremely frustrating.

Looks awesome man. What's in that tupperware container?

What's in the box???!!

Thats sand for by stupid wrasse who was suppose to kill my zoa killing amphipods. So far he has been an epic fail. :furious:

Interceptor is next on the list.

Archived