ReefCleaners.org

HM's soon to be off brand upgrade

HM3105

Muriatic Acid at about 2:1 ratio. 1 gallon of Muriatic Acid to 2 gallons of water. Let it sizzle for an hour. Added large box of baking soda to neutralize, blasted with the hose. Set it out to dry.

Awesome, love the results.

My issue with this is my rocks would not fit in 3 gallons :lol: I had a few the size of basketballs. I ended up using 4 gallons of vinegar and 10 gallons of water I think. I had to use a 25 gallon brute can.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My issue with this is my rocks would not fit in 3 gallons :lol: I had a few the size of basketballs. I ended up using 4 gallons of vinegar and 10 gallons of water I think. I had to use a 25 gallon brute can.

Ya, I did three batches after breaking the rocks into rubble with a hammer........then glued them back together.

:^ )

Ya, I did three batches after breaking the rocks into rubble with a hammer........then glued them back together.

Jacks rock puzzle :wacko:

Brute trash can sounds better then putting them back together...

I ended up cutting a few down afterwards but........and that's one good thing about the pukani its like a hot knife through butter! A hack saw will cut right through it.

Yep, do the can.....I just dumped shit into a depot bucket on a whim.......and I enjoy gluing stuff......I excelled at eating paste as a small child. It's a sign of being gifted / special.

Yep, do the can.....I just dumped shit into a depot bucket on a whim.......and I enjoy gluing stuff......I excelled at eating paste as a small child. It's a sign of being gifted / special.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's not accurate but we love you anyway!

• 2 weeks later...

So I have been keeping an eye on your build. Did you receive your Pukani Rock order yet from BRS.

I also just ordered Pukani rock from BRS and received my order today. I ordered 25 lbs, and asked them to send me a mix of sizes, as I am building a new scape for my 35 gallon cube tank. They did send me a mix, however, 1 rock is about 15lbs, And the size of a basketball.

Looks like I have some boulder breaking to do....

Curious about your order?

Shane

• 2 weeks later...

Rock <_< is it me or is this the slowest upgrade in the history of NanoReef? You may have beaten jack....

some of us have bills and budgets and stuff...my side gig isn't paying as much as it was supposed to so theres that. Hopefully I'll get a bonus this year from work and then we're off to the races...

Guaranteed!

Nothing is slower then you....glaciers maybe....

So I have been keeping an eye on your build. Did you receive your Pukani Rock order yet from BRS.

I also just ordered Pukani rock from BRS and received my order today. I ordered 25 lbs, and asked them to send me a mix of sizes, as I am building a new scape for my 35 gallon cube tank. They did send me a mix, however, 1 rock is about 15lbs, And the size of a basketball.

Shane

Mine was similar, my new thread shows the pictures. I made no requests and got 3 pieces. I'm not unhappy though...

Shane

The Pukani is really easy to cut so if you like part of the basketball rock you can just slice it in half. I had one rock that was probably 20" tall and well tank is only 16" so broke out a grinder with a diamond blade and went around it. Finished it of with a hack saw.

some of us have bills and budgets and stuff...my side gig isn't paying as much as it was supposed to so theres that. Hopefully I'll get a bonus this year from work and then we're off to the races...

Nothing is slower then you....glaciers maybe....

Mine was similar, my new thread shows the pictures. I made no requests and got 3 pieces. I'm not unhappy though...

I see no said pictures :lol:

The Pukani is really easy to cut so if you like part of the basketball rock you can just slice it in half. I had one rock that was probably 20" tall and well tank is only 16" so broke out a grinder with a diamond blade and went around it. Finished it of with a hack saw.

I see no said pictures :lol:

Spectra, thank you for your response!

I did find out how easy it was to work with. I was able to cut my base rocks flat with a hacksaw, and able to chisel thru a few rocks to make holes and caves. I whittled down the boulder to a manageable size, with a decent look.My scape has been build with acrylic rods and Lots of glue. It's is curing in a Rubbermaid tote for about a week.

I had heard of Pukani and phosphate, so I put a reactor with GFO in for the cure. 0 phosphate at the 1 week mark.

I figure it will take at least a month, then I will break down my old scape and install the new one.

Shane

Spectra, thank you for your response!

I did find out how easy it was to work with. I was able to cut my base rocks flat with a hacksaw, and able to chisel thru a few rocks to make holes and caves. I whittled down the boulder to a manageable size, with a decent look.My scape has been build with acrylic rods and Lots of glue. It's is curing in a Rubbermaid tote for about a week.

I had heard of Pukani and phosphate, so I put a reactor with GFO in for the cure. 0 phosphate at the 1 week mark.

I figure it will take at least a month, then I will break down my old scape and install the new one.

Shane

No problem and glad you found out how well it cuts.

I think I cured mine for 2 to 3 months in a brute in the garage. I soaked in vinegar for 24 hrs then washed and soaked in water for a day then into saltwater with a skimmer and heater but no light. So far so good tank has been up for a month maybe and no great algae blooms yet......

No problem and glad you found out how well it cuts.

I think I cured mine for 2 to 3 months in a brute in the garage. I soaked in vinegar for 24 hrs then washed and soaked in water for a day then into saltwater with a skimmer and heater but no light. So far so good tank has been up for a month maybe and no great algae blooms yet......

I have basically done the exact same thing. Build the scape, and soaked the rock in Vinegar and scrubbed, picked the dead off.

Soaked in heated RODI for 24 hrs. Then to fresh salt water at 82 with carbon and GFO, Hight flow circulation with no light.

I am not in a rush, so it could be in the tote curing for a while.

Archived