Top Shelf Aquatics

Diver's Paradise: The Sequel (Vacation Pics pg. 48!)

Felicia

HA ha ha. Hey- that's wonderful. My first nem, the white zebra, came from Saltcritters, also for something silly like $7 or $8. She turned out to be the mama I have now!!!

That's awesome! I actually love the white ones! I think the solid white ones with some stripes are the prettiest. That's why I got 2 of the basic ones. I'm hoping one will be white and then maybe some green on one of those would be nice. Then I figured I'd snatch up one of the red ones for only $10. I'm sure they'll be tiny, but that's fine. I don't mind waiting on them to grow :)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you feed twice a week a a piece or two of misys each they will noticeably grow. I didn't feed this one but once a week maybe.

This was 6/1/2013 a couple days after I got it. Like 1.25"

003_zps1dd60c42.jpg

This is her now. A solid three".

003_zps96bac653.jpg

If you feed twice a week a a piece or two of misys each they will noticeably grow. I didn't feed this one but once a week maybe.

This was 6/1/2013 a couple days after I got it. Like 1.25"

003_zps1dd60c42.jpg

This is her now. A solid three".

003_zps96bac653.jpg

That's a gorgeous one! I hope one of mine will look like that! So awesome! Do you think they would eat small pellets? That's what I've been feeding to the tube nem and it loves them. So when they come from Salt Critters, do they come on frag plugs? Did you just attach the plugs to the rock and then let the nems walk where they wanted to be?

Mine eat the littlest NLS pellets. The one I bought from saltcritters wasn't attached to anything. I think most places ship them loose.

Congrats on the purchase! The sump plan is exciting too :).

Mine eat the littlest NLS pellets. The one I bought from saltcritters wasn't attached to anything. I think most places ship them loose.

Congrats on the purchase! The sump plan is exciting too :).

Ok, good to know! So how do you get them to attach to the rocks and not just get blown around?

I'm wavering on the sump plan now. The more I attempt to plan, the more expensive it gets and the more I realize how crammed its going to be. I'm just not positive how practical and easy to deal with it would be. I'm not so sure about it now. I'm thinking I may just keep an eye on nutrient levels in the tank for a while and decide if its needed. I may also consider just adding a media reactor but not doing the full sump. I realized I could remove the media and hide the reactor pump down inside the AC70 so its not in the tank.

Ok, good to know! So how do you get them to attach to the rocks and not just get blown around?

I'm wavering on the sump plan now. The more I attempt to plan, the more expensive it gets and the more I realize how crammed its going to be. I'm just not positive how practical and easy to deal with it would be. I'm not so sure about it now. I'm thinking I may just keep an eye on nutrient levels in the tank for a while and decide if its needed. I may also consider just adding a media reactor but not doing the full sump. I realized I could remove the media and hide the reactor pump down inside the AC70 so its not in the tank.

Turn all the flow off in your tank. Put them in. They attach almost instantly so place them exactly where you'd LIKE them to go :). Not saying they'll stay, but they might like the spot you choose :).

Turn all the flow off in your tank. Put them in. They attach almost instantly so place them exactly where you'd LIKE them to go :). Not saying they'll stay, but they might like the spot you choose :).

Oh, ok! That's easy enough. So they're not like mushrooms where it might take weeks to attach. So just a few minutes without flow and they won't get tossed across the tank? I don't mind too much if they walk since I have the islands now. Means they can't go too far :)

Oh, ok! That's easy enough. So they're not like mushrooms where it might take weeks to attach. So just a few minutes without flow and they won't get tossed across the tank? I don't mind too much if they walk since I have the islands now. Means they can't go too far :)

Yeah, they are nothing like mushrooms. If they don't attach quickly, then something is wrong with them. The only time mine didn't was when I got a bad shipment of nems and they died by the next day from the rough shipment.

Yeah, they are nothing like mushrooms. If they don't attach quickly, then something is wrong with them. The only time mine didn't was when I got a bad shipment of nems and they died by the next day from the rough shipment.

I definitely did not know that, since I know nothing about them! Glad I can just stick it where I want it them. So much easier than mushrooms!

I've got another video for you guys. All the fish are doing well since the transfer, except that I haven't seen a glimpse of the yellow coris wrasse all day. He was out swimming around after the transfer yesterday evening and seemed fine, so hopefully he's ok and is just hiding. Its odd because the firefish and YWG are out and about much more now than they're ever been before. I don't know if they like the scape, or if it might be because of the wrasses. I read that the peaceful flasher wrasses being out and about often encourages shy fish to be out more. Either way, its nice to actually see my firefish and YWG!

Oh and I haven't gotten the lights all adjusted on the tank yet since I just fixed the white channel, so its a little bluer than usual. My iPhone camera freaked and made it look REALLY blue in the video.

Yeah, I turned off pump and just held it there for like 45 sec and that's it, then it later shoved it's foot into a hole behind it. Easy. They might scooch around on the rock they're on but that's it really. Seems to be a homebody.

Yeah, I turned off pump and just held it there for like 45 sec and that's it, then it later shoved it's foot into a hole behind it. Easy. They might scooch around on the rock they're on but that's it really. Seems to be a homebody.

I am thrilled they are that easy! Now I better get my corals arranged ASAP so I know where to put my 3 when they show up! Not sure when exactly they're supposed to arrive.

Tank looks great. I absolutely love the wrasses, good call!!! :)

Check it out - here is it's alter ego! If that's the same fish, then it's a lightning wrasse. Great name! Unfortunately not reef safe.

Lightning%20Wrasse_ps.jpg

Alot of wrasses are considered "not reef safe". Mostly because they have the potential to eat crabs, snails and shrimp, not mess with coral ;) I really hate when places do that, I wish they would list them as not invert safe instead!

Alot of wrasses are considered "not reef safe". Mostly because they have the potential to eat crabs, snails and shrimp, not mess with coral ;) I really hate when places do that, I wish they would list them as not invert safe instead!

Thank you! Yeah, the wrasses have been an awesome addition!

Good point. The yellow coris wrasses are even considered not reef safe and I have no issues with either of mine.

Thank you! Yeah, the wrasses have been an awesome addition!

Good point. The yellow coris wrasses are even considered not reef safe and I have no issues with either of mine.

Yeah the yellow "coris" (not really a coris lol) is actually a really good addition to a reef IMO as they are excellent "watch dogs" and protectors of the reef :)

Polarcollision

True story. Good to know!

Which wrasse is in your avatar?

Yeah the yellow "coris" (not really a coris lol) is actually a really good addition to a reef IMO as they are excellent "watch dogs" and protectors of the reef :)

Yeah, not sure why they call it a coris when it isn't. Oh well! They eat flatworms, which is awesome and they're very peaceful.

Polarcollision

I definitely did not know that, since I know nothing about them! Glad I can just stick it where I want it them. So much easier than mushrooms!

I've got another video for you guys. All the fish are doing well since the transfer, except that I haven't seen a glimpse of the yellow coris wrasse all day. He was out swimming around after the transfer yesterday evening and seemed fine, so hopefully he's ok and is just hiding. Its odd because the firefish and YWG are out and about much more now than they're ever been before. I don't know if they like the scape, or if it might be because of the wrasses. I read that the peaceful flasher wrasses being out and about often encourages shy fish to be out more. Either way, its nice to actually see my firefish and YWG!

Oh and I haven't gotten the lights all adjusted on the tank yet since I just fixed the white channel, so its a little bluer than usual. My iPhone camera freaked and made it look REALLY blue in the video.

Looking good! Love the direction the tank is going in already with the flowy LPS up top. Thanks for the video!

Yeah, not sure why they call it a coris when it isn't. Oh well! They eat flatworms, which is awesome and they're very peaceful.

To be entirely honest, they can become fairly territorial IME. I wouldn't say aggressive, but definitely territorial. I had an absolutely beautiful super male in my 180 and he would chase everything except my large Passer Angel that was the tank boss. The Yellow Coris was a close 2nd tho with the male flame..... I had 22 fish at one time and those 3 ran the show and would push everyone else around for sure.

To be entirely honest, they can become fairly territorial IME. I wouldn't say aggressive, but definitely territorial. I had an absolutely beautiful super male in my 180 and he would chase everything except my large Passer Angel that was the tank boss. The Yellow Coris was a close 2nd tho with the male flame..... I had 22 fish at one time and those 3 ran the show and would push everyone else around for sure.

Weird! The one in my seahorse tank is a super male and he's on the bottom of the pyramid in there. He's so chill and not the least bit territorial or pushy about food. The jawfish in there are much more aggressive than he is.

Looking good! Love the direction the tank is going in already with the flowy LPS up top. Thanks for the video!

Thank you! I am psyched about the totally new look of the tank. The LPS up top aren't all open yet, but they're getting there. I'm going to work on some placement here in a bit because I have to have spots ready for the new rock flower nems.

Weird! The one in my seahorse tank is a super male and he's on the bottom of the pyramid in there. He's so chill and not the least bit territorial or pushy about food. The jawfish in there are much more aggressive than he is.

Thats actually weird IME, at the LFS they used to generally be the ones that ran the tanks in there as well.... again not really aggressive, just territorial and put everyone else in their place kinda thing if that makes sense.... and those were all in large roughly 200-300g tanks lol Still doesn't stop me from wanting a harem they are simply beautiful fish and serve an excellent purpose lol

Thats actually weird IME, at the LFS they used to generally be the ones that ran the tanks in there as well.... again not really aggressive, just territorial and put everyone else in their place kinda thing if that makes sense.... and those were all in large roughly 200-300g tanks lol Still doesn't stop me from wanting a harem they are simply beautiful fish and serve an excellent purpose lol

Hrm. My LFS had them in with the flasher wrasses which are SUPER peaceful and they weren't bothering them at all. Just chilling. Personality can come down to the individual fish a lot of the times.

Hrm. My LFS had them in with the flasher wrasses which are SUPER peaceful and they weren't bothering them at all. Just chilling. Personality can come down to the individual fish a lot of the times.

Yeah I know, just my experience has all been that they aren't afraid to give chase and kinda guard an area (usually around where they sleep). They cruise the entire tank and like I said weren't really aggressive no nipping or anything like that just lots of chasing, maybe they all hated having big tanks to roam :wacko: lol

Unfortunately I lost mine along with several other wrasses when I had a skimmer pump literally melt down in the sump of my 180 :(

Yeah I know, just my experience has all been that they aren't afraid to give chase and kinda guard an area (usually around where they sleep). They cruise the entire tank and like I said weren't really aggressive no nipping or anything like that just lots of chasing, maybe they all hated having big tanks to roam :wacko: lol

Unfortunately I lost mine along with several other wrasses when I had a skimmer pump literally melt down in the sump of my 180 :(

Maybe mine was getting put in its place my the coral beauty angel in my tank. Also the one in my seahorse tank doesn't really have anyone to chase since the jawfish stay in their burrows most of the time and the seahorses just hang out. Maybe they chase when there are other fast swimming fish about.

Sorry you lost yours! The one in this tank is MIA since the transfer yesterday. I hope he's just hiding.

Maybe mine was getting put in its place my the coral beauty angel in my tank. Also the one in my seahorse tank doesn't really have anyone to chase since the jawfish stay in their burrows most of the time and the seahorses just hang out. Maybe they chase when there are other fast swimming fish about.

Definitely a possibility, most of my fish have always been swimmers. I've been known to have a wrasse addiction as well lol

Sorry you lost yours! The one in this tank is MIA since the transfer yesterday. I hope he's just hiding.

Pretty typical, probably show up iwithn a few days refreshed and ready to go :)

Archived