inTank Media Baskets

Diver's Paradise: The Sequel (Vacation Pics pg. 48!)

Felicia

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The tank is looking AMAZING!!! I'm sending good vibes your way for the elegance. I loved mine, it was doing good for a few days and then started rapidly deteriorating. I don't know if it was Aussie or not though.

Thank you! I'm really happy with how its all come together. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that mine stays fat and happy. I'll keep you all updated on how its doing.

Dang! Sorry to hear about your wrasse. I hope it recovers.

I know! I'm pretty bummed he injured himself. He was out all the time and now he's lurking and seems pretty injured. I just hope he recovers back to his social self.

What show are they talking about Personally I don't like naked and afraid

We were talking about The Walking Dead.

I just skimmed your thread, but if your still looking for a nicer sump.....http://www.elite-aquatics.net/index.php?route=product/product&path=53&product_id=37 I have the larger and ATO and dosing container. He makes very nice stuff.

That sump would never fit in my stand unfortunately and is way out of my budget. I don't need anything fancy :) Mike at Micro Reefs is local to me and is currently making me a custom acrylic ATO reservoir.

If you have problems with the overflow being loud (I did, sounded like a freaking black hole) an easy mod is to take a piece of tubing and stick it down the out tube. It takes a minute to find the right spot but when you do it's heavenly silence. The tube can then be held under the rim where the box hangs on your tank.

If you have problems with the overflow being loud (I did, sounded like a freaking black hole) an easy mod is to take a piece of tubing and stick it down the out tube. It takes a minute to find the right spot but when you do it's heavenly silence. The tube can then be held under the rim where the box hangs on your tank.

Thanks! I saw people recommended that in some of the reviews. I've definitely got some airline on hand for that. I don't want to listen to gurgling :)

Polarcollision

Is it an Aussie elegance? If that came from ReefRaft I'm sure it probably is. In which case, the likelihood of survival should be much higher, at least according to what I've read.

Mr Scope, I love your new signature!

I hope your wrasse will be ok!!!!!

Do you like that BRS doser? Anything you don't like?

Hey Gena - I've been using their dosers for a little over a year now, controlled by a reefkeeper lite. They're super accurate and quiet. And you can set each one to dose a different amount if needed. One of mine started making crazy loud sounds when it ran a few weeks ago so I called BRS and they hooked me up with a replacement. Pretty great customer service!

I know! I'm pretty bummed he injured himself. He was out all the time and now he's lurking and seems pretty injured. I just hope he recovers back to his social self.

Oh no! Sending him good vibes for a speedy recovery. Since I'm the local nutrition evangelist, consider feeding him mysis while he's healing. It has fresher protein and fatty acids to rebuild tissues.

I just posted a video of the McCoskers shimmying into his sleeping rock. Love your new signature, too!

Hey Gena - I've been using their dosers for a little over a year now, controlled by a reefkeeper lite. They're super accurate and quiet. And you can set each one to dose a different amount if needed. One of mine started making crazy loud sounds when it ran a few weeks ago so I called BRS and they hooked me up with a replacement. Pretty great customer service!

Great info! Thank you so much! I'd love to get the bubble magus (I think that's what it's called) doser, but the price...yikes. This seems like a fabulous "cheaper" alternative. Thanks again :).

Mr Scope, I love your new signature!

Oh no! Sending him good vibes for a speedy recovery. Since I'm the local nutrition evangelist, consider feeding him mysis while he's healing. It has fresher protein and fatty acids to rebuild tissues.

I just posted a video of the McCoskers shimmying into his sleeping rock. Love your new signature, too!

I loved his new sig so much I copied him :lol:

Yeah, I sure hope the Carpenter's can recover. He wouldn't eat yesterday which isn't a good sign, but he's still alive. I'm going to try feeding PE mysis soaked in some garlic today and see if I can get him to eat again.

I'll have to go check out the video after work!

Great info! Thank you so much! I'd love to get the bubble magus (I think that's what it's called) doser, but the price...yikes. This seems like a fabulous "cheaper" alternative. Thanks again :).

Sorry I didn't have more info! I had just set mine up before the crash and didn't use it long enough to have much of an opinion. Its definitely a much cheaper alternative and they seems very nice.

Sorry I didn't have more info! I had just set mine up before the crash and didn't use it long enough to have much of an opinion. Its definitely a much cheaper alternative and they seems very nice.

No problem :). Once you set it up again, let me know what you think! For now I'm going to just keep using my kalk dripper and hand dosing A and B, but in a few months I may need to invest in a doser, for when I'm away.

No problem :). Once you set it up again, let me know what you think! For now I'm going to just keep using my kalk dripper and hand dosing A and B, but in a few months I may need to invest in a doser, for when I'm away.

Will do! I got it BRS Black Friday/holiday sale stuff so it was like half off which made it insanely cheap. I'll probably end up hooking it back up once I get an idea of the alk drop in the tank. I plan to keep hand dosing Ca for now if needed.

I just got a giant box of goodies from BRS! Woohoo! Let the sump party begin :)

Will do! I got it BRS Black Friday/holiday sale stuff so it was like half off which made it insanely cheap. I'll probably end up hooking it back up once I get an idea of the alk drop in the tank. I plan to keep hand dosing Ca for now if needed.

I just got a giant box of goodies from BRS! Woohoo! Let the sump party begin :)

Maybe I should try to hold out for Black Friday then! What did you get????

Maybe I should try to hold out for Black Friday then! What did you get????

My reactor, the pump for the reactor, a new heater that is shorter to fit into the sump, filter socks and filter sock holder, plumbing supplies, and aquarium safe silicone :)

My reactor, the pump for the reactor, a new heater that is shorter to fit into the sump, filter socks and filter sock holder, plumbing supplies, and aquarium safe silicone :)

I don't use a filter sock. I forget why I stopped using it :lol:. Whatever the reason, I like having stuff get through to the fuge for the critters in there to eat :).

I don't use a filter sock. I forget why I stopped using it :lol:. Whatever the reason, I like having stuff get through to the fuge for the critters in there to eat :).

I probably wouldn't use one if I didn't have a fuge, but since I don't I figured I'd use one to trap detritus so it doesn't settle on the bottom of the sump. Granted the silly filter sock holder takes up so much space but luckily everything fits just perfectly.

I glued my barb fitting into the bulkhead drain of the overflow box. Now I'm working on siliconing the baffles into the sump. Those have to cure for 24-48 hours so the plan is to get it all up and running Thursday evening.

Alright, so I got the baffles siliconed into the sump. Now to let those cure for a few days. Thursday evening I'll get water in the sump and get all the plumbing hooked up. Hopefully if everything goes well, the whole thing will be up and running Thursday night.

Here are the baffles in the sump.

http://s289.photobucket.com/user/alatarie/media/IMG_5643.jpg.html'>IMG_5643.jpg

Here's a photo of the inside of the stand with the sump and the new media reactor.

http://s289.photobucket.com/user/alatarie/media/IMG_5646.jpg.html'>IMG_5646.jpg

Unfortunately my Carpenter's wrasse passed away sometime last night from his injury :( I'm getting my new custom screen lid made today so I can get the acrylic lid taken off and this can't happen again. I'm going to try to find a new Carpenter's or McCoskers male as a replacement. Luckily the linespot is still doing really well and doesn't seem as prone to jumping.

oh, sorry to hear about your pretty fish. I'm cutting out crate to put on top of my tank. 6line went carpet surfing and I came home to a dead fish yesterday. Don't know what they're thinking; it's really NOT better on the other side. :wacko:

oh, sorry to hear about your pretty fish. I'm cutting out crate to put on top of my tank. 6line went carpet surfing and I came home to a dead fish yesterday. Don't know what they're thinking; it's really NOT better on the other side. :wacko:

Sorry to hear about your fish too! Luckily I haven't had a carpet surfing fish in quite a while because I always have a lid, but I wasn't expecting the fish to injure himself so badly slamming into the lid. Crazy jumping fish!

Sorry to hear about your fish too! Luckily I haven't had a carpet surfing fish in quite a while because I always have a lid, but I wasn't expecting the fish to injure himself so badly slamming into the lid. Crazy jumping fish!

I do have a lid but it's clunky and this way I can at least cut the crate to go around the overflow.

Unfortunately my Carpenter's wrasse passed away sometime last night from his injury :( I'm getting my new custom screen lid made today so I can get the acrylic lid taken off and this can't happen again. I'm going to try to find a new Carpenter's or McCoskers male as a replacement. Luckily the linespot is still doing really well and doesn't seem as prone to jumping.

:( Sorry, at least the linespot is doing well! Have you considered trying to find a female linespot to make the male flash more, etc?

I do have a lid but it's clunky and this way I can at least cut the crate to go around the overflow.

Yeah, its hard to get those lids to fit perfectly. I have to work on making a new screen lid to fit snuggly with my new overflow box.

:( Sorry, at least the linespot is doing well! Have you considered trying to find a female linespot to make the male flash more, etc?

Yeah, I'm glad the linespot is doing so well. Its sad because the Carpenter's was doing so well also until he injured himself. I had considered getting a female but they are pretty much impossible to find. Its easier to just get another male of a different species so that the two males will flash for one another but not fight.

Fish killer :P

Oh you are just so kind! Meanie! :P

Sorry about your fish :(

Yeah I'm a bit bummed since he was so healthy and had settled in so well and was getting along with all the other fish. Its always something with fish! Luckily I should be able to get another Carpenter's or McCosker's wrasse locally pretty easily. I'll be down near the LFS they both came from this weekend anyway, so hopefully they'll have one in stock for me to pick up.

So I think I may try to get the sump up and running tonight. The baffles seem to be fully cured and the vinegar smell from curing is pretty much gone. The silicone bottle said to wait 24 hours before adding water, so that means it should be fine to get it up and running tonight and I'm getting antsy. Anyone have any reasons why I should wait an extra day?

I did water tests today to monitor what my Alk, Ca, and Mg are doing for dosing purposes. Its been 9 days since a water change with no dosing and here are the results:

Alk - 7 dKH (very low end of the acceptable range)

Ca - 385 ppm (low end of acceptable range)

Mg - 1340 ppm (in range)

Looks like I should be able to set up my BRS doser for Alk at just a small amount per day. I want to keep it more around like 9 dKH and I'd like to keep it stable. I can probably get away without dosing Ca between water changes for now since its staying in range even after 9 days. I can also just hand dose that here and there as needed.

Archived