SaltCritters.com

Diver's Paradise: The Sequel (Vacation Pics pg. 48!)

Felicia

Whoa! Looks fantabulous :naughtydance: Are we get Jiggy over there yet :D Thats a fun powertool!

Thanks! Glad you approve. I appreciate all your help! I'll be going and picking up all the tools I need this weekend so I'll probably take power tools to the stand sometime this weekend. The skimmer comes tomorrow and I need it to figure out how big of a notch I need to cut out of the shelf. My overflow box and return pump came today and I'm out right now picking up my 5 gallon tank and the glass baffles I had cut. The BRS order with all the plumbing stuff and the silicone arrives Tuesday. So if I do the siliconing and little but of plumbing Tuesday night, this thing can have water in it Thursday evening.
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got a few updates for you guys :)

1) My rock flower nems arrived today and they looked very healthy and happy. None of them are super colorful, but they're very pretty. I got one larger all white one, a small white and yellow/green one, and my "red" one is a small white one with spots of orange/red along the skirt. They all had healthy feet and attached right to the rocks like you guys said they would. They all moved a bit into the shade, so they must need to acclimate to the light. Here are some awful iPhone photos of them.

http://s289.photobucket.com/user/alatarie/media/photo2-13.jpg.html'>photo2-13.jpg

http://s289.photobucket.com/user/alatarie/media/photo1-13.jpg.html'>photo1-13.jpg

2) My Reef Cleaners order arrived today, so I added nassarius and cerith snails to the tank.

3) My Eshopps PF Nano overflow box and my Rio Plus 1400 return pump both arrived from Amazon today. They only took one day to get delivered. Gotta love Prime shipping! The skimmer is getting delivered from Amazon tomorrow. Here are some photos of the new equipment.

http://s289.photobucket.com/user/alatarie/media/photo4-15.jpg.html'>photo4-15.jpg

http://s289.photobucket.com/user/alatarie/media/photo5-10.jpg.html'>photo5-10.jpg

http://s289.photobucket.com/user/alatarie/media/photo6-7.jpg.html'>photo6-7.jpg

4) I went to Petco and picked up a 5 gallon glass aquarium to use as the sump. I also went to a local glass shop and got my baffles cut. I got home and even though the 5 gallon tank will technically fit next to the other one that serves as the ATO reservoir, there's no way to slide it into the stand with the other tank there because of how it has to slide in at an angle to avoid the center brace in the stand. Hard to explain, but I tried every way possible and it wasn't going in! After some thought, I decided to return the tank I bought to Petco and just keep my current 5 gallon that was the reservoir and turn that one into the sump. I figured I'd just find something smaller to use as the ATO reservoir. I found a little ~2 gallon plastic storage bin that is serving as my temporary ATO reservoir until I find something better.

Anyways, once I sorted that all out, I decided to clean out the inside of the stand so its all ready to go when I get the rest of the supplies to set up the sump. Lily decided she should help :lol:

http://s289.photobucket.com/user/alatarie/media/photo-13.jpg.html'>photo-13.jpg

Here's the cleaned out stand. The ATO reservoir is on the left and the 5 gallon sump is on the right. I'm going to have to cut rectangular holes out of the front of that middle shelf in two places to accommodate the height of the media reactor and skimmer. The shelf is absolutely cemented in place, so its definitely not coming out. The media reactor will sit just to the left of the sump in between it and the ATO reservoir.

http://s289.photobucket.com/user/alatarie/media/photo3-14.jpg.html'>photo3-14.jpg

5) My BRS order's tracking info is showing delivery on Tuesday, so Tuesday evening is when I'll get to work on the bulk of the set-up. The BRS order has my plumbing supplies and silicone in it, so I can't really do much until then. Stay tuned!

Looking good.

I have to admit I'm not a fan of keeping much equipment in the sump, especially the heater. I know we want tanks to be all pretty and free of clutter but it introduces yet another point of failure to the system. Now if the return pump fails you lose heat.

Of course I live in a colder climate, so it's more of a concern. I will probably have a sump one day, and it may have my full size heater in it, but I will always keep a heater in the display as well. :)

Flower nems look saweet! Espech the one with the nuclear yellow ring!

Overflow box looks sleek and way thinner/smaller than id imagined. Turns out the one i had/donated was way bulkier and clear internal overflow box, blehh. The Black is mo sexy!

Nice internal stand shot, now i see exactly what your working with down thur. Yea that shelfs awfully low, but nothing your sik DIY skillz cant make qik work of :)

ATO Res is perfect for what you need atm, and the snug lid on it will keep it clean and evap low. Great temp or long term solution!

Ohh yea!!.. i see equip already in the sump :naughtydance:

Looking good.

I have to admit I'm not a fan of keeping much equipment in the sump, especially the heater. I know we want tanks to be all pretty and free of clutter but it introduces yet another point of failure to the system. Now if the return pump fails you lose heat.

Of course I live in a colder climate, so it's more of a concern. I will probably have a sump one day, and it may have my full size heater in it, but I will always keep a heater in the display as well. :)

I agree that sumps add an extra point of failure, which is why they make me nervous and I haven't had one until now. Luckily, our weather is pretty mild year round here, so it probably wouldn't be a big deal if the tank wasn't heated for a few hours. My heater is a real eyesore in the new open scape since I can't hide it behind the rocks, so I really want to get it out of the display. The heater will still be hooked into a controller that shuts it off if it overheats and has an audible alarm if the tank temp rises or falls out of range.

I did however realize the ATO float switch needs to stay in the display as a safety measure against floods. If the overflow box ever breaks siphon, but the return pump keeps running, I have it designed so the display can hold the water in the return pump chamber without overflowing. However, if the ATO switch was in the sump, then it would just keep refilling and the return pump would just keep pumping water into the display. If the ATO switch is in the display, it eliminates the risk of the display overflowing in the case that the overflow box loses siphon from say a snail in the tube.

Flower nems look saweet! Espech the one with the nuclear yellow ring!

Overflow box looks sleek and way thinner/smaller than id imagined. Turns out the one i had/donated was way bulkier and clear internal overflow box, blehh. The Black is mo sexy!

Nice internal stand shot, now i see exactly what your working with down thur. Yea that shelfs awfully low, but nothing your sik DIY skillz cant make qik work of :)

ATO Res is perfect for what you need atm, and the snug lid on it will keep it clean and evap low. Great temp or long term solution!

Ohh yea!!.. i see equip already in the sump :naughtydance:

I really like the flower nems! The yellow one is my favorite too! Its tiny, but hopefully it will grow quickly.

Yeah, the overflow is surprisingly tiny and sleek. They must have updated the design a bit. A black overflow box is definitely preferable to clear. It should be almost not noticeable on the tank. I just need to get an acrylic lid made for it so that snails can't crawl up into the box and block the siphon tube.

Yeah, that shelf is a bit annoying. I wish I could take it completely out, but it just wasn't made to come out. Hopefully me just taking some chunks out of it should make it reasonably easy to get the equipment in and out. Powertools to the rescue! :)

Yep, the little tupperware type thing will work temporarily. I'm looking into getting a custom sized acrylic reservoir made.

The return pump and the baffles are what you're seeing in the sump :)

Btw, how did you change your name?!

Good eye on the float switch sitch! (Say that three times fast,lol)

Yea...U+Jiggy will notch that shelf out nicely, shouldn't be much of a challenge at all for ya.

Namechange: :ninja: You got know someone who knows someone, have there people speak to there people etc.. and than a small pay offs involved and BAM new name!!

j/k i just hit up the B) Mr. CM :D

Good eye on the float switch sitch! (Say that three times fast,lol)

Yea...U+Jiggy will notch that shelf out nicely, shouldn't be much of a challenge at all for ya.

Namechange: :ninja: You got know someone who knows someone, have there people speak to there people etc.. and than a small pay offs involved and BAM new name!!

j/k i just hit up the B) Mr. CM :D

Yeah, I was reading more about preventing sump overflows and saw someone mention that as a consideration. It would be nice to get it out of the display, but oh well! I'd rather not have a flood, so it has to stay in there. Its not that bulky or noticeable anyway.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Power saws always scare me a bit. :unsure:

You crack me up. Why'd you change your name? I kind of want to change mine just because I didn't think about it being difficult when I first started my account.

Look what I got today! :happydance:

SCA-301

http://s289.photobucket.com/user/alatarie/media/SkimmerBox.jpg.html'>SkimmerBox.jpg

Notice Lily is fulfilling her role as box inspector in the background.

http://s289.photobucket.com/user/alatarie/media/NewSkimmer.jpg.html'>NewSkimmer.jpg

It looks so nice and well built. I can't believe it only cost $85 including shipping. I've been looking at reviews and I see nothing but amazing reviews of this skimmer. My tank is going to be so CLEAN :D

Also, for the Lily fans...

"Why would you need a sump when I could just lay in the stand and look cute? This is my spot now!" - Lily

http://s289.photobucket.com/user/alatarie/media/LilyinStand.jpg.html'>LilyinStand.jpg

Btw, I'm clueless when it comes to skimmers. Anyone got any advice for me on setting this one up and breaking it in? Anything I need to know? Do I just plop it in the sump, plug it in, and adjust it?

Yep, if you want it drier keep it out of the water more. Trial and error. It will probably make microbubbles back into the tank for week or so while it adjusts.

Pinner Reef

Yeah, really, skimmer instructions are pretty vauge a lot of the time. I say just plug it in there and watch to see how it goes dialing it in as necessart..

bonsaidarrell

Btw, I'm clueless when it comes to skimmers. Anyone got any advice for me on setting this one up and breaking it in? Anything I need to know? Do I just plop it in the sump, plug it in, and adjust it?

Coincidence, I just got this skimmer today! I've read that some folks run it in a bucket with dilute vinegar, to kick-start the break in. I'm doing that with mine right now. Much quieter than the PLS-100 that I tried before (and half the cost!).

There is a recommend mod to cut the barb portion off of the fitting between the pump and skimmer body, which I did. Also make a mark on the adjustment tube (I used a sharpie) at the closed setting, so that you can keep track of the adjustments.

Skimmer looks incredible, for any price range. Again that one's different than the one i was telling you i had, i had a bubble magnus, durp :lol: This one's way nicer and your in for a sparkling tank with this, your sock and the reactor :)

Yep, if you want it drier keep it out of the water more. Trial and error. It will probably make microbubbles back into the tank for week or so while it adjusts.

This skimmer seems to work well in the range of 6-9" of water depth. Mine will be sitting in 6" of water, so it will probably run a bit drier. I agree, I'll probably have to fiddle with it for the first couple weeks until I get it just right.

Yeah, really, skimmer instructions are pretty vauge a lot of the time. I say just plug it in there and watch to see how it goes dialing it in as necessart..

Vague? This skimmer didn't even some with instructions! :lol:

Coincidence, I just got this skimmer today! I've read that some folks run it in a bucket with dilute vinegar, to kick-start the break in. I'm doing that with mine right now. Much quieter than the PLS-100 that I tried before (and half the cost!).

There is a recommend mod to cut the barb portion off of the fitting between the pump and skimmer body, which I did. Also make a mark on the adjustment tube (I used a sharpie) at the closed setting, so that you can keep track of the adjustments.

Awesome! I'll be asking you questions then if I can't figure something out. I had seen the suggestion about running it in dilute vinegar. I believe its supposed to remove the residual oils from the manufacturing process. I may have to get some vinegar tomorrow and do that too. Good to hear its quiet! And I can't get over how inexpensive it is!

I hadn't seen the barb modification. What is that supposed to do? I did see that people mark the adjustment tube, and I definitely plan to do that.

Skimmer looks incredible, for any price range. Again that one's different than the one i was telling you i had, i had a bubble magnus, durp :lol: This one's way nicer and your in for a sparkling tank with this, your sock and the reactor :)

I am super impressed with how nice it seems for so cheap. I'm just all excited to have a real skimmer! I'm moving up to the big leagues now with the rest of you guys with your sumps and real skimmers. I was definitely in the minors with my AC70 :lol: Well the Bubble Magus is supposed to be really nice and this is an inexpensive copy. I just hope I don't make my tank too sparkling. Don't want to piss off the clams and LPS corals that like a bit dirtier water!

Oh, and I totally stole your move and had CM change my username. I wish I had known I could do that sooner. Totally didn't think through my username when I first joined and it was such a pain for people to spell it when they didn't know my real name. Now I've made life easy, like Gena :)

hehe Didn't even notice the name change.

Gonna have to redo your sig now. ;)

I figure its not all that noticeable :) My name has always been in my sig. I never used my username anywhere.

Nice name change :). I don't know what made me just use my first name for my username. I guess I just wasn't feeling creative that day :lol:.

Nice name change :). I don't know what made me just use my first name for my username. I guess I just wasn't feeling creative that day :lol:.

My original username is the username I use for most things, but this is the only place where people who don't know my name would need to call me by my username. So it was a pain. You were smart, Gena.

Muahahahahahahaha!

http://s289.photobucket.com/user/alatarie/media/Jigsaw.jpg.html'>Jigsaw.jpg

Here's the junk I took out of the shelf. The cut along the back is a bit jagged because it was hard to get the saw positioned and see what I was doing all the way in the stand, but it works! I'm pretty happy with how it turned out considering this is my first time using a jigsaw. Plus, I still have all my fingers! :lol:http://s289.photobucket.com/user/alatarie/media/Aftermodification.jpg.html'>Aftermodification.jpg

And here it is with the sump, skimmer, and other supplies back in the stand.

http://s289.photobucket.com/user/alatarie/media/WithSkimmerAfterMod.jpg.html'>WithSkimmerAfterMod.jpg

Yey! It works! You worked.

It wasn't very hard. Took me about 30 min. including the measuring, marking it out, cutting, and then cleaning up the giant sawdust mess in my living room :)

Nice work!!! I probably would have accidentally cut out that center wood piece :lol:.

I was very very careful about that! That would have been bad :lol:

bonsaidarrell

I hadn't seen the barb modification. What is that supposed to do? I did see that people mark the adjustment tube, and I definitely plan to do that.

Here is one thread that shows it:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2135704

I think the idea is to release the bubbles into the reaction column earlier. There is a good inch of the barb that isn't doing you any good as far as capturing DOCs.

Here is one thread that shows it:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2135704

I think the idea is to release the bubbles into the reaction column earlier. There is a good inch of the barb that isn't doing you any good as far as capturing DOCs.

Thanks for the link! I think I'll skip it since the author of that thread said he had to raise the water level after doing that and I'm limited with my water height in my tiny sump.

Archived