Cultivated Reef

Diver's Paradise: The Sequel (Vacation Pics pg. 48!)

Felicia

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tanks looking real nice! Good score on the elegance too, hopefully it does well for you :)

Thanks, Chris! Glad you like it :) Everyone just needs to send good vibes for the elegance :lol:

I am so nervous it won't do well, but I sure hope it does. Have you had any success with them? Any tips?
Stable alk and calcium is a must for them. If you keep it stable you will have great success. I have never tried one because my LFS always wants a arm and a leg.

Stable alk and calcium is a must for them. If you keep it stable you will have great success. I have never tried one because my LFS always wants a arm and a leg.

Oh good to know since I'm not dosing. Guess I'll need to start keeping an eye on that!

Mr. Microscope
I am so nervous it won't do well, but I sure hope it does. Have you had any success with them? Any tips?

Is it an Aussie elegance? If that came from ReefRaft I'm sure it probably is. In which case, the likelihood of survival should be much higher, at least according to what I've read.

Is it an Aussie elegance? If that came from ReefRaft I'm sure it probably is. In which case, the likelihood of survival should be much higher, at least according to what I've read.

It is an Aussie elegance. They had a bunch of elegances, most of them were huge and pretty expensive. I got the smallest one and it was the only one labelled as an Aussie. My friend in the local club told me the same thing when I was debating if I should buy it, that the Aussies are supposed to be hardier. Here's to hoping! So far its happy in the tank. The light isn't even on yet for today and its all open and puffy and happy right now. I need to start testing my Ca, Alk, and Mg more regularly than I do with all these LPS corals. I've got my Alk doser taken off of the tank right now, but I have to add it back on if I'm seeing Alk drops.

It is an Aussie elegance. They had a bunch of elegances, most of them were huge and pretty expensive. I got the smallest one and it was the only one labelled as an Aussie. My friend in the local club told me the same thing when I was debating if I should buy it, that the Aussies are supposed to be hardier. Here's to hoping! So far its happy in the tank. The light isn't even on yet for today and its all open and puffy and happy right now. I need to start testing my Ca, Alk, and Mg more regularly than I do with all these LPS corals. I've got my Alk doser taken off of the tank right now, but I have to add it back on if I'm seeing Alk drops.

The only other person I remember having an elegance was Spiro. He seemed to have a lot of luck with his. I'm sure you'll be fine with yours :).

BTW...which alk doser do you have????

The only other person I remember having an elegance was Spiro. He seemed to have a lot of luck with his. I'm sure you'll be fine with yours :).BTW...which alk doser do you have????
Zook was a gawd at keeping Elegance. That guy taught me about everything I know when it comes to LPS and how to keep it. So now since he is gone I pass it along :). He got me started with cubes and you keep me coming back to them :P. His Elegance was amazing!

http://s915.photobucket.com/user/Lwnman/media/ef3cd9ab-dc49-49f4-a43c-293ebb71b8ce.jpg.html'>ef3cd9ab-dc49-49f4-a43c-293ebb71b8ce.jpg

Zook was a gawd at keeping Elegance. That guy taught me about everything I know when it comes to LPS and how to keep it. So now since he is gone I pass it along :). He got me started with cubes and you keep me coming back to them :P. His Elegance was amazing!

ef3cd9ab-dc49-49f4-a43c-293ebb71b8ce.jpg

I'm hooked on cubes too :). My new 8g is a custom cube that I should get this Wednesday.

That tank looks amazing....great inspiration. The elegance is HUGE!!!!!

The only other person I remember having an elegance was Spiro. He seemed to have a lot of luck with his. I'm sure you'll be fine with yours :).

BTW...which alk doser do you have????

Eddie has an elegance that he's had for quite a while now and is doing very well. Hopefully I can manage to keep mine happy like Mark's and Eddie's. Its super puffy today. It obviously likes the tank so far, so lighting and flow must be ok. I think I just need to be more on top of Alk, Ca, and Mg testing so that the parameters stay stable for it.

I have the BRS dosing pump, so I can just dose one thing right now. If I need to, I can set it back up to dose Alk and I can hand dose Ca since it never dropped as quickly on me in the past.

ef3cd9ab-dc49-49f4-a43c-293ebb71b8ce.jpg

I don't think I know who Zook is. He must have been around before I joined NR. That is an absolutely huge elegance! Beautiful tank too :) My tank is now mostly LPS and anemones, so I may be asking you advice on them if I have issues. The shallow cube tanks are definitely very nice. I'm partial to the long, narrow tanks personally, but I love your's and Gena's tanks too!

I'm a bit worried about my Carpenter's Wrasse. I mentioned he has a big lump on the top of his nose. Well today he hasn't been coming out much at all. He made a brief appearance to eat and otherwise has mostly been laying in his spot in the rocks. It honestly looks like he slammed into the acrylic lid so hard that he really messed up his nose/upper lip. He seems to be eating ok, but I'm not sure if his nose will heal. I hope he's fine and that he's just not as active until it heals up some.

I hope your wrasse will be ok!!!!!

Do you like that BRS doser? Anything you don't like?

I hope so too! I can't believe the silly thing smashed his nose that badly.

I honestly wasn't running it long enough to really have much of an opinion on it. Its cheap and it seemed to work just fine.

I'm a bit worried about my Carpenter's Wrasse. I mentioned he has a big lump on the top of his nose. Well today he hasn't been coming out much at all. He made a brief appearance to eat and otherwise has mostly been laying in his spot in the rocks. It honestly looks like he slammed into the acrylic lid so hard that he really messed up his nose/upper lip. He seems to be eating ok, but I'm not sure if his nose will heal. I hope he's fine and that he's just not as active until it heals up some.

If he's eating I think he'll eventually recover, I'd highly recommend enriching his foods to help him recover, possibly separate him if his injuries don't heal.

IIRC lots of wrasse and other fish injure their noses, chins, and other facial areas when in shipping due to rubbing on the bag.3

Example:

img_4477.jpg

TWD : omgomgomg:

A little 2 hours left for me on the west coast, so don't spoil anything! I'm jealous you get to watch it in 9 minutes. Enjoy!

If he's eating I think he'll eventually recover, I'd highly recommend enriching his foods to help him recover, possibly separate him if his injuries don't heal.

IIRC lots of wrasse and other fish injure their noses, chins, and other facial areas when in shipping due to rubbing on the bag.3

Example:

I don't want to enrich his food because it pollutes the water. Also, they eat flakes and pellets anyway. He's still eating, so I'll just let him be. I won't be separating him because I don't want to tear the tank up trying to catch him and I don't have another tank to put him in anyway. Its not like he needs to be treated with medication, so moving him would just add stress for no reason. None of the other fish are messing with him, so he can recover in his rock hole where he's lurking. I'll keep you all posted.

Cool, I'm sure he'll make a full recovery :)

I sure hope so! Not much I can do in terms of treatment since its a mechanical injury. Crazy wrasse smashing his face into the acrylic. Even if he's ok, he may look a tad funny from now on. He's like a smushed-nose dog, but a fish :)

I only have 9 minutes left till it's over. Shit is popping off tonight!

Oh! Goodness! I'm so excited! I am going to avoid your thread until I'm done watching it to avoid spoilers :)

Stay out of my thread till after :P.

Will do! I'll pop in after I'm done watching it to weigh in. Expect me at 10 pm PST.

dixie reefer

The tank is looking AMAZING!!! I'm sending good vibes your way for the elegance. I loved mine, it was doing good for a few days and then started rapidly deteriorating. I don't know if it was Aussie or not though.

Archived